Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Penn State not funny
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Penn State not funny

Nov 8, 2011, 3:10 PM

As a parent of two small children, I can't find my " lighten up Francis" attitude for the molestation jokes. It's a very sad sick situation.

If Joe Paterno walks the sideline against Nebraska, I would boycott the game.

Would you go?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He hasn't walked the sidelines in a couple years***

Nov 8, 2011, 3:11 PM

I agree..nothing funny about it.***

Nov 8, 2011, 3:13 PM

Oddly enough, humor is a coping mechanism. It's been

Nov 8, 2011, 3:14 PM

used since the dawn of man as a means of dealing with all kinds of serious situations....it's the basis of satire.

Poor taste in what one posts is not***

Nov 8, 2011, 3:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

True - but to be used with discretion

Nov 8, 2011, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Oddly enough, humor is a coping mechanism. It's been ]

I have two young children as well and I may joke about it with my friends who I know and who know me, but not in a public forum where there's not that understanding and you don't know where other people are coming from.

Re: True - but to be used with discretion

Nov 9, 2011, 10:22 AM

I heard maybe a few funny satirical jokes that deal with this issue (David Cross, I think), but they were focused not on the bad things that happened, but on the guilt of the perpetrators, or the guilt of those that covered it up. There's appropriate ridicule to be had there, but the distinction between ridicule and laughing at the victims is important.

But...

Nov 8, 2011, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Oddly enough, humor is a coping mechanism. It's been ]

people posting jokes about it are not really like people that just let it blurt out without thinking.

People that make posts here have time to click several buttons & type it out.That is plenty of time to think about what you are saying.

Sometimes, I deal with extreme.....

Nov 8, 2011, 3:16 PM

anger through humor.

This is one of those times.

That said, as a father of two now grown children, I am in complete agreement with you. If they were ever seriously harmed by somebody, I always said I would go to jail for them. I still stand by that personal conviction.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good question...

Nov 8, 2011, 3:17 PM

I think yes I would go. It's a big game and I would support the players.

Lost in the fiasco...the true victims

Nov 8, 2011, 3:17 PM

The children will suffer the rest of their lives...and who knows for sure just how many there were. So very sad...Penn State did nothing to protect them.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I agree. I can't believe this is happening at Penn State.

Nov 8, 2011, 3:18 PM

I have always had nothing but respect for Paterno and his program. I don't see how he surviuves. There is a lack of control in place when this happens. He's a leader and when this kind of thing happens the leader is ultimately responsible regardless.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nothing EVER funny about harming a child

Nov 8, 2011, 3:22 PM

there will never be an argument to change that

I agree with your first statement completely...

Nov 8, 2011, 3:52 PM

as for the boycotting the game if Paterno walks the sidelines...

Have they found him guilty of anything yet? Do they know for sure that he covered this up?

I have not been following this as close so I have not heard all the details in regards to JoePa.

Re: I agree with your first statement completely...

Nov 8, 2011, 3:55 PM

given the details I have heard it sure seems like he did his legal duty, but not his ethical duty.

The pain that is left in this wake of abuse

Nov 8, 2011, 3:57 PM

is beyond words. The victims and the parents are forever scarred and will have a very difficult time ever feeling whole again.

I have a 10 yr old daughter. It breaks my heart to fathom something like this happening to my child and family.

PSU allowed this atrocity to continue for years. They are culpable, and I expect a long line of lawyers queuing up in Happy Valley.

If Paterno is not shown the door by the weekend, PSU will pay a steep price for thier lack of response. Their lack of response years ago is sickening. A 10 yr old boy, for Christ's sake!

I only wish I had been there to touch children

Nov 8, 2011, 6:07 PM

's hearts, instead of what that sicko Sandusky did.

I suppose you have all the facts of this very serious

Nov 8, 2011, 6:39 PM

situation? Judge not.....

Guilty until proven guilty right?

Nov 8, 2011, 6:47 PM

In extremely sensitive matters such as this it seems people are always super-quick to judge. I thought we lived in an innocent until proven guilty system, but it seems to only apply in situations that are not so emotionally involved.

I don't think JoePa broke the law, but I do question his morality here. I expect he will be allowed to finish the season and will be "forced" into retirement.

Regardless, sad situation all around.

That applies only to criminal proceedings, IMO

Nov 9, 2011, 9:59 AM

So Sandusky is innocent until proven guilty. That being said, anyone who thinks he'll be found not guilty please raise your hand.

*crickets*

JoePa, on the other hand, is not being criminally charged so there is no legal/libel reason to attach "innocent until proven guilty" to his actions. We already know what his actions were, based on his grand jury testimony. We also know those actions were the absolute minimum that he was legally required to carry out. So no, he's not guilty of a legal crime. He is, however, guilty of a tremendous moral failure and for that I think he should be removed. Not given a chance to resign, but removed. Just like any other university employee would likely be fired for, say, posting perfectly legal nude pictures of him/herself on the internet.

Fact.

Nov 8, 2011, 6:51 PM [ in reply to I suppose you have all the facts of this very serious ]

Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

I am just boycotting Penn State period.***

Nov 8, 2011, 6:55 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way.
Sine Pari- The tip of the spear.
Cofounder / USASOC Black Daggers 2001

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic