Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thank you all for your warm words, thoughts, and prayers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Thank you all for your warm words, thoughts, and prayers

Aug 26, 2011, 2:57 PM

Last week I mentioned that my dad, a member of the class of 69, passed after a battle with cancer.

It has been a tough, but joyous few weeks as we celebrated his life, enjoyed the warm memories, and mourned the loss of this wonderful man. We held his services last week in Columbia where he lived and the he was laid to rest in Charleston which he always considered his home town.

Thanks so much for all of the warm words last week, as well as the thoughts and prayers during this time.

After his service we had a reception in the form of one of his most favorite places on Earth. We held an old fashioned Clemson tailgate and celebrated his life and one of his greatest passions. Of course, we had his seat sitting in his honor.

He then took his last of many trips to Charleston. Complete with the ever-present Clemson magnet on his vehicle.

The Air Force honor guard carried out his burial with honors. It was such a touching moment to see fellow Air Force members pay their respects to a man who devoted much of his life to the service.

Then began the hard work of going through some of his things. My sister and I were helping my mom go through the books and other items he had left on his bedside table when we found the following note he had written and presumably left for us. What a message to leave behind for his family.

Thanks again for all the warm thoughts and prayers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish I had more points to give.

Aug 26, 2011, 3:00 PM

A very moving tribute.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rejoice in the fact that he will be tailgating and watching

the Tigers along with you for ever more!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Our thoughts are with you Thom, God bless you and your

family in your loss. Thanks for sharing your pictures. What a touching memorial for a Clemson man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Our thoughts are with you Thom, God bless you and your

Aug 26, 2011, 3:05 PM

please add my thoughts, prayers, ect to this very well done and special memorial for a REAL TIGER!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

seriously dude...great post. fitting.***

Aug 26, 2011, 3:03 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember your post- thanks for the update

Aug 26, 2011, 3:03 PM

sympathies to you and your family on this loss. I lost my dad over 30 years ago. He was a WWII vet. I still miss him in some way everyday but I also remember the good times we shared

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and once again, Father Knows Best***

Aug 26, 2011, 3:04 PM

Re: Thank you all for your warm words, thoughts, and prayers

Aug 26, 2011, 3:12 PM

Very nice post....thanks for words and pictures.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2011, 3:21 PM

Thank for the beautiful post reminding us what is really important.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Aug 26, 2011, 3:13 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. What a touching hand written note from your Dad. He was obviously a fine man. His note is just what I needed to see at this time. God does have a plan for each of our lives, whether we realize it or not, and we just have to trust Him.

God bless...

Aug 26, 2011, 3:15 PM

We'll keep your family in our prayers.

Thom, thanks for posting. Will remember you and yours

Aug 26, 2011, 3:20 PM

as I pray.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bless your hearts. You honored him with this post. Now he

Aug 26, 2011, 9:31 PM

can watch the games w/my dad who was also AF and Clemson all the way. Prayers sent for your family.

Wow, talk about destined to read something.

Aug 26, 2011, 3:30 PM

I wanted to say thank you for posting that Thom. I will be praying for you and your family.

My wife and I are expecting a baby girl in September, however the last few days she's been having some real trouble. Turns out the baby could be taken as soon as tomorrow and we have spent the last two days completely freaking out because we are not ready yet.... Then I read the handwritten note from your dad. Gave me a feeling of peace inside and sends chills down my arms typing the words right now. Thank you Thom, and thank your dad please, for letting a fellow Tiger know that everything is going to be ok....

God Bless to you and your family

Aug 26, 2011, 3:36 PM

I'm sure God has a great place set for your Dad.

Aug 26, 2011, 3:46 PM

Please send a message yo your Dad to tell my Dad hello. He will be easy to find, he will be wearing orange at his tailgate.

My Dad's there, too. I miss him like crazy. Thanks for the

Aug 26, 2011, 5:09 PM

great post, Thom.

Go Tigers !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Outstanding tribute to your father ! Prayers to your family.***

Aug 26, 2011, 3:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2011, 3:49 PM

What a beautiful tribute to your dad....I was fine in reading until I got to the note and your last sentence. Wonderful memories but a lost that will never be replaced. I have lost both of my parents and miss them greatly.

I'm sorry for your loss

Aug 26, 2011, 3:57 PM

I graduated in '72, so I would have been a rat during your Dad's senior year. My Dad graduated in '42, and I miss him. However, I will always be proud of him. Like your Dad, my Dad was a true gentleman, a true South Carolinian, and a true Tiger.

Typing this through misty eyes...

Aug 26, 2011, 4:20 PM

...God bless you and your family, and may your Dad have 50 yard line seats for all eternity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sorry for your loss......

Aug 26, 2011, 4:36 PM

Fine tribute to your Father.

I salute this special Clemson Man, and say thanks & farewell

Aug 26, 2011, 4:53 PM

And, Go TIGERS...always win for Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mourn the loss but celebrate the life. That's nice.***

Aug 26, 2011, 4:56 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2011, 5:03 PM

Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us; I really enjoyed it. I am very moved by the photos.

Very touching - thank you for sharing. Stuff like this puts

Aug 26, 2011, 5:33 PM

everything else into it's proper perspective.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

FAITH, Family, friends,,,what really matters. Great pics****

Aug 26, 2011, 7:00 PM

Aug 26, 2011, 7:55 PM

sir,my father too,was retired af.losing your father is hard,my dad passed away in '99 and i still think of him everyday.nothing i say can ease your pain,but i hope and pray that you will live your life to make your father proud.

Aug 26, 2011, 8:06 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

My father passed in '09 to cancer and one thing that makes me feel a little better is that he is no longer in pain.

May your father rest in peace.

Aug 26, 2011, 9:17 PM

This was one of the most meaningful posts I've read in a long time. My late father, class of 1944, passed ten years ago this coming September 1st and I still miss him to this day. He too loved his Tigers! My most precious memories are from times we spent in Clemson watching the various games we attended. I've been going to Tigertown since 1959 and look forward to every opportunity to return.

May the Lord bless and comfort you and your family.

May God bless y'all........ from a fellow '69 grad.***

Aug 26, 2011, 9:21 PM

Re: NO! Thank you for sharing!!

Aug 26, 2011, 9:45 PM

Awesome!!

Aug 26, 2011, 11:17 PM

you'll always miss your dad,but believe it or not,at the same time you will also become closer to him,as you learn to appreciate his wisdom over the coming years.think also of the joy when you do meet him again ,and he knows that you fully understand him as a parent.i look forward to the day(not trying to hasten it mind you)when i'll see my parents again and be able to thank them for all that they did for me.i feel sorry for the people who weren't as fortunate to have truly wonderful parents,like your dad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

God bless all life long tigers.....alumnus or not!***

Aug 26, 2011, 11:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome post for your Dad! My Dad Air Force as well

Aug 27, 2011, 12:13 AM

And loved it as well. Also homesteaded us in Charleston. So many similarities, He is 77 now in not so good health. Want to get him and his RV to a game this year. You have made me even more jacked to make that happen. thanks! :) And I hear being with Jesus may be better than football in the Valley. May God bless you and your family.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic