Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Im afraid you guys are setting yourselves up again...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 75
| visibility 1

Im afraid you guys are setting yourselves up again...

May 31, 2011, 10:46 AM

...for major disappointment. I'm speaking in regards of Chad Morris. Not long ago, we brought in a hot young OC to take the reigns of our offense. He was the hottest commodity in college football offenses. His style was new. It was exciting. It was fast paced. It was magical. After all, he was "The Mad Scientist."

Before his first season, during this time of the year, Clemson was buzzing about this new coordinator and how he would lead Clemson to multiple ACC championships and turn our Tigers into a national contender year in and year out. He had led the offense of a Toledo team and put up SICK numbers in the MAC. How much MORE would he be able to do this at Clemson where he had some actual talent!!

But we all know how Rob Spence turned out at Clemson.

Now I'm not saying that Chad Morris isn't any good. All I'm saying is that I don't know if he's any good or not...and neither do any of you. All we know is that he was good at the high school coaching level and he was good with Tulsa in Conference-USA (at a mid-major just like Rob Spence). In fact, Rob Spence had MORE experience in 1A college football when he came to Clemson than Chad Morris has now.

I hope I'm wrong about all of this. Flame away if you must, but don't lose sight of the reality of the situation here. We are EXTREMELY inexperienced offensively. Because of that, it's going to be nearly impossible to accomplish the offensive expectations we have all put in this guy, at least in his first year or two. And at Clemson, you don't get much longer than that to produce results as a coordinator.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chad Morris style isnt new...

May 31, 2011, 10:49 AM

its similar to Oregon and pretty much the same as Auburn. It worked ok with them. Now the ACC hasnt seen a style of offense like this at all.

Rob Spence cracked under pressure.

May 31, 2011, 10:49 AM

His playbook was good, he just lost control of it under pressure.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of you.

He just forgot to turn the pages. He never got past B

May 31, 2011, 10:53 AM

for bubble screen

Re: Rob Spence cracked under pressure.

May 31, 2011, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Rob Spence cracked under pressure. ]

Spence's biggest downfall despite the rhetoric by our internet fan base was he never fully understood the pressure that would come with a job like Clemson. Nothing wrong with the playbook he brought and when he talked the talk it was impressive...When the big games came however he went into a shell trying not to lose games...I am not sure Morris will succeed but i do think he understands the pressures of being here.

May 31, 2011, 2:32 PM

It wasn't just the big games that he tried not to lose.

The only time we put up big numbers was against teams that we completely outclassed.

Even against teams that we should have comfortably won against, we played "to keep it close and have a chance at the end."

May 31, 2011, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Rob Spence cracked under pressure. ]

Rob spence was a joke! His playbook had 3 plays. Bubble screen left, bubble screen right, and run up the middle!

Unfortunately, very valid points.

May 31, 2011, 10:50 AM

No one knows.

So basically we are like 99 percent of...

May 31, 2011, 10:53 AM

schools in the country we dont know how we will do this yr? Thanks

Everybody knows Texas HS Football > MAC Football***

May 31, 2011, 10:56 AM

Seriously ... it's true

May 31, 2011, 12:40 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seriously ... it's true

May 31, 2011, 1:00 PM

coacxh taylors wife once pressured me, I gave in...sigh

The hiring of Spence was not the problem.

May 31, 2011, 11:09 AM

Keeping him way too long after his failure was the issue and Tommy Bowden lost his job over it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but the point holds...

May 31, 2011, 11:26 AM

that Spence was actually a bit more qualified, and he still failed.

People are expecting some ridiculous improvement, but honestly that's been the case for the last 5 or 6 years. 'If we just do X THEN we'll be good' has been said so much we should have shirts made.
If only Bowden was gone... I mean, a trained monkey could run this team to an ACC title!
Whoops.
If only Spence was gone.
If only Scott was gone(we'll see).
If our defense wouldn't play zone.
If our defense would only blitz.

There's been a lot of 'If only...', and this year seems to have more than most(IF the new coaches... IF the new recruits... IF Dabo doesn't meddle in the offense...).

Morris may come in and do gangbusters. But he also might come in and realize that what works in high school or in the MAC doesn't cut in back to back to back against VT/AU/FSU...

There was a lot wrong with last year's team, and disturbingly their play did NOT get better as the year went on. That, to me, was more disturbing than anything because that's directly on the coaching. You might not have the same team you did in '09... fine. But when they look better in Sept. than in Dec and injuries can't really be said to play a role? That's a problem.

Re: but the point holds...

May 31, 2011, 12:00 PM

i agree with you 100% about the progression of our team throughout the season last year. seems we got worse as the season progressed and i've never known a Clemson team to show such a characteristic. but our "go-to guy" through the air was a true freshman.... that should tell you something.

Re: So...

May 31, 2011, 5:49 PM [ in reply to but the point holds... ]

Are you saying if only we had a different coach?

no...

Jun 1, 2011, 8:31 AM

just that we have a lot of questions.
I'm categorically against having Dabo as our head coach, having said that I'm hopeful about the moves he has made. Replacing Scott alone softens my attitude towards him some(remembering he hired Napier in the first place dispels that though).

But I don't realistically see any expectation of huge success this coming season(something like an ACC title). The new coaches and players would all have to pan out in unheard of ways for that to happen. I think the new coaches will be better, but it's still their first year. I think the new recruits can be studs, but they're still young.

COULD everything come together? Sure.
Is it realistic? Not in my opinion.

Re: The hiring of Spence was not the problem.

May 31, 2011, 10:32 PM [ in reply to The hiring of Spence was not the problem. ]

To me, the obvious problem is what happens if it doesn't click. Its hard to realistically expect an offense, especially one with an unproven qb, to really click the first year a team runs it. On top of that, when you try to push the pace on offense and you struggle then all you accomplish is tiring your own defense out. The Clemson defense could be on the field alot more this year if that offense struggles at all. Usually, when your defense is strong and your offense is not, your advantage lies in a slower pace and controlling the ball. Morris can't come in and do that. He has to come in and teach his system. I think he's probably a very good coach, but I agree that, at least this year, its unreasonable to expect alot out of his system.

Ha, I'm not set up for much of anything. You see, the head

May 31, 2011, 11:12 AM

coach is still a bumbling goof.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

giggity giggity...........***

May 31, 2011, 11:16 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many wins do you think we'll have?***

May 31, 2011, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Ha, I'm not set up for much of anything. You see, the head ]

5 or 6***

Jun 1, 2011, 3:46 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldn't agree more. Thumbs down all you want,

Jun 1, 2011, 12:37 AM [ in reply to Ha, I'm not set up for much of anything. You see, the head ]

but Tommy Bowden wouldn't have lost to the coots in '09 or '10.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Youare most likely right and I hate to say that but I do

May 31, 2011, 11:15 AM

notice one difference between the two... Morris is a lot more fired up than Spence was... I think that plays a major role as well.

Re: Im afraid you guys are setting yourselves up again...

May 31, 2011, 11:16 AM

It was an execution problem with spence. We all joke about the bubble screens but we would have great first halfs then have terrible 2nd halfs because we kept running the same plays over and over again.. beating it to death. Defenses adjusted and we couldnt finish. 2006 was classic. We are 7-1 coming off a college gameday winning blowout over Ga Tech. Then VaTech showed everyone how to beat us... and we could not adjust our offense at all and ended the season 1-3.

Just a couple of things

May 31, 2011, 11:18 AM

1) Spence was not a hot commodity, nor was he young

2) the styles are completely different. Spences offense was not face paced nor exciting. Spence's offense was the ####### son of the west coast .... Im sure Bill Walsh is rolling in his grave at the sight of that offense.

3) Spence had the personality of a dish rag

Look .... youre 100% correct to be concerned, and the comparison you pull between Spence and Morris are certainly valid, BUT there are several differences which make Morris a more promising solution .... the biggest is the following.

Morris seems to understand (this is based on coach speak so I cant say this will 100% certainty) that you have to attack the defense and get the ball into your play makers hands. Spence on the other hand though you had to foll the defense by running 4 plays out of 6 billion different formations. Spence also said that the ball needed to be in the hands of the [playermakers, but he didnt practice what he preached. Remember the bowl game with Kentucky in 2006 where James Davis and Spiller had a combined 11 carries? Also how in the hell does Nelson Fabererererer ( a walk on WR) get more touches in a game than CJ freakin Spiller?

Not saying you are wrong, but there are reasons to believe that Chad Morris is in no way like Spence

If we score

May 31, 2011, 11:18 AM

One more td per game last year, then we end up 11-2.

Our its hard to imagine our offense being worse than last year, so I'll take our chances.

Re: If we score

May 31, 2011, 11:26 AM

Why is it hard to imagine? You lost an elite qb and your most productive tailback

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

May 31, 2011, 11:34 AM

Our QB play certainly was not elite ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHRw_N6TOrc )

and Ellington is a better back than Harper.

Also, our o-line, WR's, and TE are more experienced.

somebody get this idiot off of here..permanently

May 31, 2011, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: If we score ]

elite qb. yeah like your returning one and we lost ellington. is he not playing this yr

Agreed. Worthless POS. I would gladly donate at the highest

May 31, 2011, 12:37 PM

level if guys like toogieof09 were banned from ruining our site, and I'm positive that virtually everyone would agree.

FYI, Toogie is no longer posting here.

May 31, 2011, 12:57 PM

Spoke with him at Church a few weeks ago. DOn't confuse him and ClassOf09

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FYI, Toogie is no longer posting here.

May 31, 2011, 12:59 PM

Did you ask what his new handle is?

After what some fools did, he ain't here

May 31, 2011, 2:08 PM

Some fools on here took their issues with him online into the real world.

He's gone from Tigernet, don't confuse him and ClassOf09

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell me again why I should take your word for it?

May 31, 2011, 5:59 PM [ in reply to FYI, Toogie is no longer posting here. ]

Are you aware toogie has been busted lying numerous times? Toogie is not trustworthy.

And it's hard not to get "them" confused when "they" have very often said exactly the same phrases, jumped into threads at the same times - even on pages nowhere near the front page, and have even confused "themselves" by replying as the other within the same thread.

Ignored^^^***

May 31, 2011, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Agreed. Worthless POS. I would gladly donate at the highest ]

Jun 1, 2011, 8:04 AM [ in reply to Re: If we score ]

Elite quarterback? Not so much. He may have showed sparks of elite early in the season, until he received an uncalled, illegal spearing to the ribcage. After that he was a scaredy-cat and didn't do much more than channel Will Proctor for the rest of the season. Every time Parker rolled out to the right--which was about every 3rd play--you knew something bad was about to happen.

As for our "most productive" running back, you DO realize that our *actual* star running back was injured for more than half the season, right?

If you're going to post, at least try to put some thought into it.

lulz @ elite qb. I agree that our biggest question mark is

May 31, 2011, 12:32 PM [ in reply to If we score ]

tahj, but to say that we got elite qb play last year would be quite a stretch. I liked Parker, and feel confident that he had some sort of undisclosed injury that caused his accuracy problems, but he was no elite qb last year.

I think most of us are banking on some of the youngsters making a splash, which is always a crapshoot, but if you haven't watched video on bellamy, watkins, peake, and bryant, you need to check them out. Watkins looks like he was ready for D-I when he was a Junior in HS. You never know, though.

He had a head problem against BC. That one hail

May 31, 2011, 4:13 PM

mary intercept was one of the biggest errors ever for a Clemson QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was the product of just a poor offense in general

May 31, 2011, 5:45 PM [ in reply to lulz @ elite qb. I agree that our biggest question mark is ]

but he was a great QB individually.

I'd gladly take him over Garcia

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Oh, he was definitely better in '09, and for a half at Aubur

Jun 1, 2011, 11:49 AM

in '10, but wasn't the same player from that point on.

I think he had the potential to be a great qb had he been fully devoted to it and had he not been injured, which I still contend was his major problem last year.

Half empty or half full. You just don't know but no reason

May 31, 2011, 11:19 AM

to get negative about it. I mean some teams excell every year that went through tough times the year before. Who knew 1980's 6-5 would turn into 1981's 12-0? That is the magic of college football. I stay positive about the Tigers and I am pulling for a good season from them. Only time will tell.

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think he's being negative, or saying that we won't

May 31, 2011, 12:08 PM

or can't excel. I'm extremely excited about the possibilities this season, but I'm also aware that there are a ton of unknowns - probably more than usual. It's just the truth.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

May 31, 2011, 11:20 AM

If we score 1 more td per game last year then we finish 11-2

Its hard to imagine our offense being worse than last year, so I'll take our chances.

I agree with most of that but what I like is that we are

May 31, 2011, 11:22 AM

experienced on the OL(most important position on the team except QB) and as talented as we've ever been at RB/WR.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with most of that but what I like is that we are

May 31, 2011, 11:28 AM

And to the Dabo haters, if we would have had Tigernet then, same thing would have been said about Danny before 1981. Not saying he is another Danny, but with his new hires, we don't know what they can do. Know one thing, Dabo is a heck of a recuiter tho...

Davis and Spiller. Ford and Kelly.

May 31, 2011, 12:44 PM [ in reply to I agree with most of that but what I like is that we are ]

Palmer and Grisham

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

I was talking talent only:

May 31, 2011, 1:48 PM

Ellington, Bellamy, Hopkins, Allen, Watins, Peake have as much potential as the six you named. Way more at WR.

Good, sensible post. I think we have a lot of question marks

May 31, 2011, 12:04 PM

going into this season: http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=965222&messageID=10546576#10546576

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Not sure why you're leaning to "major disappointment"?

May 31, 2011, 12:28 PM

Personally I think Morris' offense will be HIGHLY successful with the players we have - as long as he has a QB who can run it. Boyd will need to increase his accuracy by 10-15% if we want to do well.

I like Steel's scheme. Although we lost some talented players, I expect we won't see too much drop off in (hopefully none) in the defensive numbers.

Heck, all we needed were a few more kicks last year, and we would have finished considerably better. With that and just a little better offense, we would have won 10 games.

If the defense holds firm, and Boyd can improve, then I fully expect a successful season. My thinking is that we'll be much improved in wins and losses.

Of course, "no one knows", but I refuse to take anyone else's word for it that I'm setting myself up for "major disappointment".

Re: Not sure why you're leaning to "major disappointment"?

May 31, 2011, 1:42 PM

I use the words "major disappointment" because a good portion of our fans are expecting an overnight metamorphosis of our offense. This just isn't likely to happen with an inexperienced QB, inexperienced receivers, and an inexperienced OC.

I wish I had a nickel for every post I've read that includes expectations of 9 wins or 10 wins or more. Those totals are reasonable to hope for, but unreasonable to expect. Just way too many ifs. Even your post has the following statistics:

2 "ifs"
1 implied "if" (If the defense holds firm, and (if) Boyd can improve...)
1 "as long as..."
1 "hopefully"

See what I mean?

There's not a program in the U.S. that doesn't come with

May 31, 2011, 6:02 PM

"what ifs".

I agreed "no one knows", but like I said, I'm choosing an opposite approach than you. I am expecting tremendous improvement.

How can you not expect a defensive drop off after losing

May 31, 2011, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Not sure why you're leaning to "major disappointment"? ]

that much talent. That is the OP's point. The offense will be better because of better players, but the D will somehow not miss 6 superstars. It just doesnt add up.

Because of the system. Not necessarily the numbers, but the

May 31, 2011, 6:07 PM

defense's ability to do their part, like last year. That's what I'm expecting. We DO have talent on defense. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the defense does well and gives us a chance to win all games, similar to what they did in 2010.

But like we all agree on, no one knows. Everyone is speculating.

that was before we knew what a bubble screen was............

May 31, 2011, 12:36 PM

nm

Clemson Blues Brothers

The offense that Morris and Spence run...

May 31, 2011, 1:09 PM

are very different. Spence had no earthly idea how to attack a defense that threw something unexpected at him. Morris' offense is predicated on in-game changes and identifying mis-matches based on what the defense is doing.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The offense that Morris and Spence run...

May 31, 2011, 1:33 PM

"We're gonna take what the defense gives us..."

Bowden and Spence CONSTANTLY said this to the fanbase. Morris' words sound too eerily familiar if you ask me.

May 31, 2011, 1:51 PM

Have you watched any of Tulsa's games from last year?

If you had you would know Morris attacks the defense and takes multiple shots downfield.

clemson isnt tulsa..the ACC has better defenses..

May 31, 2011, 6:51 PM

id love to see us do good.but young offense with unproven OC = not many more wins this year.

Re: clemson isnt tulsa..the ACC has better defenses..

May 31, 2011, 6:58 PM

for you naysayers, naybobs and naredowells, not many more wins, say only 3 would equal 9 wins. i look for more every year but maybe 9 would be ok for you glass half empty crowd.

If it makes you feel any better....

Jun 1, 2011, 10:44 AM [ in reply to clemson isnt tulsa..the ACC has better defenses.. ]

the offense that Morris rans at Tulsa is substantially similar tothe offense Auburn runs.

Bowden and Spence were both completely FOS***

Jun 1, 2011, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: The offense that Morris and Spence run... ]

and our current guy isn't?***

Jun 1, 2011, 1:07 PM

May 31, 2011, 10:28 PM [ in reply to The offense that Morris and Spence run... ]

To put it simple Spence never threw the ball down field. Every play we ran was within 10 yards of the los. He put the ball in the play makers hands, but when the defense has nine and ten men in the box they have nowhere to go.

May 31, 2011, 4:38 PM

Simple response to this. If Malzahn at Auburn thinks highly of this guy - then it's good enough for me. 'nuff said.

I'll keep it simple.....bottom line: Morris can't be worse

May 31, 2011, 7:15 PM

than Spence and Dabo/Napier. And his offense actually has an identity.

null

Rich Rod says "hi"!

May 31, 2011, 8:31 PM

Same scenario. Coming from Tulane, hot commodity with a wacky offense. We up up 40 a game while he was here.

So, really, it's not a situational thing it is an individual's performance thing.

May 31, 2011, 10:21 PM

Valid points but I also remember two years ago in a place they call the barn, a coach being hired that had losing seasons his only years as a head coach, and fans yelling we want a winner not a loser, and him hiring a guy with little college experience to run his offense. Just goes to show you, you never know what will happen. P.S. I wonder what ever came of that fan and if anybody knows who he was.

You're Wrong. 3 Reasons

May 31, 2011, 10:51 PM

Chad Morris is NOT Rob Spence. Spence was soft spoken. Morris is Fiery. 2. SPence did not challenge the defense wide and deep, only wide. 3. We have the receiver talent coming in to do that

So it's all about fiery personalites? If that's the case

Jun 1, 2011, 12:14 AM

then we should have won the national title when Reggie Herring was defensive coordinator.

If we are worse this year: 3-9
I don't see this, but I don't see 9-3, either.

If we are about the same as 2010: 4-8 to 5-7
I think we will improve some this season, but this is a possibility. I can't honestly predict we will not be the same as last season, because of so many question marks. I mean heck, even on offense last season we knew a little about our quaterback, nobody can honestly say how good Boyd is, because no one knows. All I know is this, if Parker was the best QB on the team last season then we better hope that our wide receivers and offensive coaching staff WERE really that bad.

If we improve a little: 6-6 to 7-5.
If I were a gambler this would be the safest bet. If people are putting all their faith in a group of freshmen, they are making a mistake. If Morris improves the offense this is still the safest bet due to our defensive losses. Morris and 29 freshmen are not going to turn Clemson football around in one year.

IF we improve dramatically:
8-4 to 9-3
That may not sound like the best record in the world for dramatic improvement, but to me if we win 8 or 9 games that is dramatic improvement.

I can't see our defense possibly being any better, in fact I'll be happy if it's only a step below the 2010 defense. If you told me this time last year that we were going to have a losing record, and NC State and Maryland were going to win 9 games each, then I would've chalked those up as losses right then, along with GT. Our defense won the GT, Maryland, and NC State games, and kept us close in others. We jumped out in front of GT and Maryland early, going into halftime with a double digit lead on both of them. The only team that our defense could not hold a double digit lead against was Auburn, the national champs, so I will forgive them.

Just way too many ??? all around this season. Some people get mad if you don't predict 9 or 10 wins, but they can't explain why they think we'll win that many. Just like the "We should beat Auburn, they lost everyone, and we have a great class coming in" crowd. OK, did they forget Auburn has a top ten class as well? Did they forget Auburn has a proven offensive coordinatior, who was the teacher of our unproven one? Auburn has brought in better classes the past four years, with no class rated below 19 on rivals.

If some on here have as much faith in Dabo and staff as they say, I hope they are willing to wait until the 2013 season to start seeing results. I am looking at the big picture here. What I am seeing is that the 12 recruits we signed after the coaching turnover in 2009 will show up big time in the 2012 season. We only signed two offensive linemen in that class, and one of them was JK Jay. That's what happens a lot when you have a coaching change. If people are ready to run Dabo off after this year or next, expect another shaky recruiting class after that, and it showing up by the time these talented freshmen we are bringing in this season are Juniors and Seniors.

The thing you're missing is

Jun 1, 2011, 3:10 AM

That the difference between last year and an 8 or 9 win year this year is not a major improvement.

Only 2 of our 7 losses were by more than a touchdown. We bring back most of our offense other than a very mediocre QB that played most of the season injured. If we are even slightly better on offense then that will definitely add at least 2 more wins.

Napier was very inexperienced and never had called the plays for a team before 2009. Morris on the other hand has over 10 years of experience doing that. Morris has also been very successful and at the very least knows what he wants his offense to be.

You bring up our defense also and the players that it is losing, but have you looked at the teams we are playing?
5 of our 10 real opponents have new QBs next year (Auburn, NCSU, UNC, FSU, GT) and 3 more will start sophomores at QB (BC, Wake, UMD). We aren't the only team that lost players. Also over the last few years our D has done a great job of rotating in younger players like xavier brewer, jonathan meeks, etc. so that they are prepared for when they need to be the starter.

Bottom line is we don't need to be dramatically better next year to have a better record. Even if we improve by only 7 more points/game we are looking at a much better year and a 8-9 win season.

What I am looking at

Jun 1, 2011, 1:28 PM

Is that you have to keep up with your rivals, and can't afford to take any major hits. I think some Clemson fans have blocked the 12 man recruiting class from their minds, and act as though we'd never have to pay the piper.

If I do something in the real world, whether it be on my job, or whatever, and if I only do it to half the level that my competiors do it, eventually it will come back to haunt me. That 12 man class from '09 already started to show last season. We signed one WR that class, McNeal, and two O-linemen, JK Jay and Brandon Thomas. Is it a coincidence that WR was a huge weakness last year? This season that class is going to show in our O-line, in the depth department that is. Once you get past our starters, we are going to be very thin. Next season that lack of O-linemen is going to show up in the starting rotation. I don't care who is coaching the offense; it is not going to be successful if the trenches are weak. I hope like heck that Dabo and Morris will hit the JUCOs this year. Even if they aren’t highly rated guys, just having some bodies to turn too would be better than nothing.

True, all of the schools that you mentioned will be starting new QBs, but they have recruited fairly consistently, and do not have a class of red-shirt sophomores and true juniors that lacks any depth.

I've never had the experience of losing a coach middle of the year like we did TB. This is another example of where TDP did not think something through. This was not like a coaching turnover at the end of a season. If TB had stayed all year, then there is one thing Dabo (If he we still hired him in this scenario) has proven; that he's a good recruiter, and good at keeping contact with commits. We lost several good commits after TB left, giving other schools two months to get to them. I think Dabo could have held them together had he or they known that he was going to be the new coach. NEVER EVER again do I want Clemson to let a coach resign/fired mid-season. Like I said earlier, we are starting to pay the piper from that brilliant move now.

As far as improving, I am mainly going by our defense likely not being quite as good. You may disagree, but I don't see it. And me saying they won't be as good isn’t saying they'll be bad, it would just be hard to top last season. Bowers played out of his mind last year, and no single player is going to replace him right away. Keep in mind that I feel our defense won three, or a minimum of two games for us. So if our D' drops some as I am expecting, then that means our offense will HAVE to improve in order to have an above .500 season with our tough schedule. If my instincts are right about our team then 7-5 will show improvement, and anything above that will show dramatic improvement.

Finally, I have made my stance clear that I was never for the Dabo hire, but he is our guy, and I feel we should be fair to him AND Morris. A new President does not go in and fix a messed up economy in one year. Every President has four years to see what they can do. I feel that is fair for a football coach, unless he does something that calls for 'impeachment,' like going 2-10 or 1-11, lol.

My thoughts exactly. I'm never getting my hopes up

Jun 1, 2011, 12:36 AM

for Clemson football again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

the past does not indicate the future

Jun 1, 2011, 7:10 AM

In my opinion these guys are not mirror images of each other. In fact in a lot of ways they are very different. Rob Spence was a gimmick coach that believed that mis-matches and reciever screens will win. Chad believes in fundimentals (QB foot work, blocking, emphasis on the run, and TE involvement) are key. I am not saying that Chad will miraculously win every game, but I do like the return to the run first, attitude. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

63-17

Re: the past does not indicate the future

Jun 1, 2011, 8:08 AM

This. Spence's problem was that he constantly put himself in the position of having third-and-long situations with no answer to them. He never went down the field, and the other team knew it.

how about 7-5 with 3 losses to undefeated teams?

Jun 1, 2011, 12:55 PM

I'd take a 1999 redux.

Replies: 75
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic