Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: Waiting for a sign
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 2,028

Sunday sermon: Waiting for a sign

Oct 24, 2010, 9:45 AM

There's something kind of sad in folks who, so consumed by their dread of tomorrow, cannot enjoy the blessings of today.

Long ago, I decided that it's not my place to try to convince them of that destructive, self-consuming trait. But it's still sad to see.

In back-to-back weeks, the sons of Clemson have toppled two of the biggest stones our school has stumbled over for the past decade. And we didn't tiptoe around them, either. We planted dynamite and absolutely blasted them out of our path. And I do not expect to stumble over either of them again.

Yet instead of joining the celebration in absolutely squashing the Yellow Jackets, in reveling in the manhandling of a tormenting Terp team, some folks steadfastly refuse to be happy: for this team, for its followers, for their own brief, fleeting lives.

After the UNC loss, one of the pseudo-Cassandras posted something to the extent of "What will you sunshine pumpers do when we're 2-5 with losses to Maryland and Ga. Tech at home? Is that what it's going to take to open your eyes?"

I'd like to return to the question: what will YOU do? What will you do in the refreshing breeze of these two wins, against coaches who "had our number." What will you do in the face of a defense that has put together two solid games? Or an offense that seems to have found its footing? Or a team that not only won but never let the other guys into the game?

What will you do? Continue to harp that the opponents were mediocre? Continue to try to drain every last bit of bile from past losses?

Will you continue to say, "I'm not sold yet," just so you can pridefully wrap yourself in Jeremiah's sackcloth should the team falter?

It's like you're sitting in the boat on the Sea of Galilee after seeing the loaves and fishes feed the multitude. Instead of marveling at what has been done, you'd rather grouse that the bread was unleavened, not pumpernickle, and the fish were a little salty.

Besides, you say, it doesn't prove anything. Those people were hungry and would have eaten anything.

You wait for a sign and ignore the blinking billboard in front of you. I don't know why, and I don't pretend I'm going to change your mind.

But I see, and I believe. I love this team and the guys who put themselves out there for Clemson. I will walk through fire for them, and if we lose, then we burn together.

Is that sunshine pumping? Perhaps, if you're so accustomed to looking for darkness that any shaft of sunlight offends your eyes. Continue, then to look for the comfort and safety of the shadows.

We are going to win in Boston this weekend. We are going to beat NC State. When we go to Tally, it may or may not be for a shot at the ACC title. We can't change that. All we can do is what will be done.

I stand with my Tigers. Lord help me, I cannot do otherwise. It's painful at times, I have doubts at times, but I stand firmly in the knowledge that I will never have to question my heart.

It's time to search your heart and ask yourself: Where do I stand?

You have a choice, and like all crucial choices, no one can make it but yourself. Embrace this team, these men and their path, or turn away.

Either way, be man enough to live with your decision.

This team deserves no less.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sunday sermon: One of your best Rev!

Oct 24, 2010, 9:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Known you for a long time now Rev

Oct 24, 2010, 9:54 AM

and have to say that is absolutely, hands-down the best post you've ever tapped out on that keyboard.

Wish I could give you 1000 thumbs up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was one of the ones looking at the offense from the MD

Oct 24, 2010, 9:58 AM

game as something that was troubling. Yesterday was a definite step forward with the production on offense; on defense, I really liked having Branch at LB; I wonder if they may do that ongoing the rest of the schedule?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

I wasn't sold on our offense after MD either....yesterday

Oct 24, 2010, 10:48 AM

eased my worries a bit. Hopefully the staff knows who our playmakers are, how to get them the ball the best way possible, and maybe not try to do too much. Just keep it as simple as possible. Good things will come with patience.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent.

Oct 24, 2010, 9:58 AM

Can't wait to watch the Tigers beat BC and Woofies!! Keep Branch @ linebacker, he sure looked stout.

Now let's get a little help on Thursday night!!

Go Tigers!! Keeping kicking a$$!

AMEN!!!!!

Oct 24, 2010, 10:00 AM

Thanks, Rev. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re.There are a lot of negtive nellies in this world. The

Oct 24, 2010, 10:02 AM

cup is always half empty. Most likely, will always be losers.

I, for one, am ready to extend the battle from the field of

play to cyber space where wolves (coots) skulk around in sheep's clothing and where the Tiger unfaithful attempt to destroy the momentum the rest of us enjoy. I would really like to know WHAT THE ###### IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS? In the wake of a two-game win streak with the prospect of two wins on the horizon, can't you give it a rest at least for a while? And what if we did run the table? Will you shut up for good?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

You're bringing tears to my eyes Rev!***

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Apoint for this HOF comment

Oct 24, 2010, 10:08 AM

Made me get a little misty, Rev.

Amen! Pass the offering plate.***

Oct 24, 2010, 10:40 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Rev - you are the main reason I enjoy reading Tigernet,

Oct 24, 2010, 10:44 AM

especially on Sundays. Thanks for your words of wisdom.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone who cannot see the heart and intensity ...

Oct 24, 2010, 10:49 AM

that this team plays is indeed in the shadows wearing sunglasses.

We are becoming a physical football team --- our opponents are noting it in their post game comments.

A truly excellent post...if being positive is a sun-shine

Oct 24, 2010, 11:02 AM

pumper, count me in.
But, unfortunately, we will always have the Chicken Littles, who feel compelled to fret and rant after every loss, or even worse, after every win.
They remind me of a quote from Akhenaton;
"Who is it that affirms most boldly? Who is it that holds his opinion most obstinately?
Ever he that has the most ignorance; for he also has the most pride."

Nice Egyptian reference.Might be a first on Tigernet!***

Oct 24, 2010, 11:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Superb reference! And I know there are many...

Oct 24, 2010, 11:39 AM [ in reply to A truly excellent post...if being positive is a sun-shine ]

...who proclaim "I believe! Help thou my unbelief."

This team invites disbelief sometimes. And I really don't wish to make it look like those with doubts at times are less loyal sons of Clemson.

My admonition is for those who would love a child less when they bring home a failing grade, or start shopping for a new wife when the souffle or the bust starts sagging?

If so, then you'll do the same with your school. And you will end up utterly alone in time, reaping the whirlwind you have sewn.

It is time to stand with your heart.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo could use you in the locker room, Rev...

Oct 24, 2010, 11:23 AM

for dang sure made me want to get up and hit something!

You sure do have a way with words Rev

Oct 24, 2010, 11:36 AM

Loved it. Thanks for posting!

Spot on Rev.

Oct 24, 2010, 2:22 PM

Sure wish (I was a member of your church.

Sermon: Waiting for a sign is old testament. By Faith

Oct 24, 2010, 2:47 PM

Are you saying tigernet is a bunch of doubting thomas's?
It is by faith we walk. Right Rev?
Make you yes a yes and your no a no.
Are net you a Clemson Tiger fan yes or no
This team is one built of talent by recruiting. If Dabo continues to fill the boat with top talent we win. Meanwhile we are finishing the arc my CU friends and will weather the storm this year in the sea of death valley and into a reborn Clemson of the 70s and 80s.

Just have faith. It is right there. The coaches will grow, the OL will grow and these soph and freshman have a great deal to look forward to as do clemson fans.

Message was edited by: CUTIGERTIM®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

To be honest, Thomas is one of my favorites...

Oct 24, 2010, 4:04 PM

He didn't mince words, he didn't blow hot and cold.

He was faithful, even in doubt. Had a nice sarcastic streak, too. Remember when Jesus said he was going to Jerusalem, Thomas is the only apostle who said he was willing to go along saying. Let's all go along so we can die together."

Thomas would have insisted on an undefeated season, and would have bemoaned the losses to Miami and UNC. But when he saw what could be done ... well, I fully expect Thomas is firmly in the Clemson choir above.

Sunday Sermon: Waiting for my Dad...

Oct 24, 2010, 2:55 PM

To Smile for you from Heaven. Dad would be very proud of his Tigers. He knows what it is to face adversity and overcome it.
Thank You Rev. Dodd from the Wright Family

Along with my dad, and mom and Aunt Jean and Gaines, mac,

Oct 24, 2010, 4:19 PM

and the other clemson faithful who would NEVER give up on their Tigers. Thank you, Rev, for such an eloquent post.

Re: Sunday sermon: Waiting for a sign

Oct 24, 2010, 3:11 PM

If you ever want the truth look to the REV.
When he speaks I listen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

amazing

Oct 24, 2010, 4:01 PM

kinda funny that Blue_Caddy, among others, is nowhere to be seen on this thread :)

The worst part is, those moaners are driving people away.

Oct 24, 2010, 4:45 PM

The main reason I pretty much stopped coming here is because of people who are far more interested in being able to say "I told you so" than in seeing the Tigers win. These "fans" have staked their flag in the "Dabo was the wrong hire" ground and if the Tigers win, they are wrong.

Anyone that can't watch that team and be excited for the future is nuts. That offense will have 9 starters returning next year....NINE and, oh yeah, adds Charone Peak, Martavius Bryant, Mike Bellamy and other studs. Our WR corps will go from the #1 question mark to scary good.

In truth, I've often wondered....

Oct 24, 2010, 4:54 PM

,,,if the most pronounced people who seem so dedicated to making life miserable here might not have an agenda beyond Clemson football.

Perhaps they're allegiance isn't to football at all, but to making Tiger Net such a toxic environment that people will cease coming here and move to other Clemson boards.

I can't think of a reason they would continually harp on the same narrow themes day after day. There's certainly nothing that can be gained intellectually or emotionally.

Amen, Amen, Amen!!!

Oct 24, 2010, 5:07 PM

I love it!

you started losing me at sermon***

Oct 24, 2010, 5:10 PM

Preach on brother -- pass the plate this way --- you sold me

Oct 24, 2010, 5:36 PM

I have found that after a sermon that good --- they usually pass the offering plate around for a second time.

Thanks Rev! Well said!***

Oct 24, 2010, 6:13 PM

this came to mind-thanks rev

Oct 24, 2010, 8:09 PM

That thine eyes may be open toward this house night and day

We are 4-3, we are good, we are NOT great***

Oct 24, 2010, 8:17 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looking for the word "great" anywhere in the missive....

Oct 24, 2010, 8:39 PM

Nope. Not there. Nice straw man, though.

This post should have 977 points.***

Oct 24, 2010, 8:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

hof!***

Oct 24, 2010, 9:23 PM

One of your best Rev...***

Oct 24, 2010, 9:37 PM

Re: Sunday sermon: Waiting for a sign

Oct 24, 2010, 9:39 PM

couldnt have said it better my self great words

It's just as refreshing on a Monday***

Oct 25, 2010, 12:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 2,028
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic