Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Memory of Championships Brings Expectations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 898

The Memory of Championships Brings Expectations

Oct 21, 2010, 11:28 AM

The year was 1981.

The Clemson Tigers, led by coach Danny Ford, had just finished a 6-5 season in 1980 and would start the '81 unranked. After winning the first two games of the season, Clemson hosted the #4 Georgia Bulldogs into Death Valley.

The rest is history.

After holding Georgia to only three points, the Tigers went on to win every game including wins over South Carolina, #9 North Carolina and #4 Nebraska.

Clemson had won the National Championship of college football. The Tiger fan base was hooked.

Ford led Clemson to four more ACC Titles in the 80's and amassed a 96-29 record finishing the 80's with three consecutive 10-win seasons.

However there were problems. Recruiting violations put a damper on Ford's success and when 1990 came along, Ford resigned.

Clemson football has never been the same.

The team was still full of Ford's players and went on to win the 1991 ACC Championship. However it would be the last for the once dominant team of the ACC.

Hatfield would have little more success and would leave in 1993. Tommy West came with mixed results but his tenure ended with a disastrous 1998 season that left Clemson, former national champions, 3-8.

The fan base was restless. The 80's had brought the taste of success and it had been seven years since the program had won the last of it's 13 ACC Championships.

The school looked to a familiar name who had found success at a smaller school to lead the program back to relevance. In 1999, Tommy Bowden was hired to coach the Tigers.

While he had a good resume, many of the Clemson faithful never fully accepted Bowden.

Despite this, things seemed to be going well in 2000, when Clemson had it's best start in years going 8-0 and being ranked fifth. Was Clemson back?

No.

Clemson went on to lose three of their last four games including a blowout loss to Florida State.

This was a pattern Clemson fans quickly grew tired of.

While Bowden's teams were an improvement from the 90's, they still could not get back to the level that Clemson fans desired. Every few years, Bowden and the Tigers were just "one play away" from clinching the ACC title only to let it fall through their fingers.

In 2008, Clemson had one of the top recruiting classes in the nation and started the season ranked ninth, everyone's pick to dominate the ACC. After being blown out by Alabama on national television and starting the season 3-3, Bowden resigned.

19 years and three coaches later, Clemson was still searching for the magic it found in the 80's.

The search began for the new coach of the Tigers but many wondered if Clemson had the funding to find that big name coach that many hoped for. Bowden had just been given an extension for $3.5 million in 2007.

The wide receivers coach under Bowden, Dabo Swinney, was named interim coach while the search was on.

Swinney took Clemson to a 4-2 record during the remainder of the 2008 season including a 31-14 win over rival South Carolina which ended with the fans of Clemson chanting, "Dabo." He was young, he was from Alabama, he loved Clemson and he was excited.

Was he the next Danny Ford?

Dabo Swinney was promoted from position coach to head coach and was given the position full time in 2009.

Swinney's first full season started slow. But after going 2-3, the Tigers rebounded behind the play of Heisman candidate CJ Spiller to win the teams first ACC Atlantic Division title.*

However, the team failed to win the ACC and also suffered its worst defeat from rival South Carolina in many years.

2010 started with many questions. Would quarterback Kyle Parker return? Who would replace CJ Spiller? Can Clemson get back to the ACC Championship game?

So far in 2010, it feels like much of the same.

After wins over lesser opponents to go 2-0, Clemson dropped three close games against Auburn, Miami and North Carolina to fall to 2-3.

2-3.... two years in a row.

Again, the Clemson fan base is restless. Dabo and Co. may recover again in 2010, but they may not. Either way, Clemson is still waiting for it's return to greatness.

Some already want to cut ties with Dabo and bring in a more experienced coach.

Some point out that even Danny Ford's first two seasons went 8-4 and 6-5.

Can Dabo Swinney take Clemson to the next level?

Will the fans have any more patience after 20 years of mediocrity?

It is doubtful that the Clemson faithful will give Swinney nine years as they did Bowden. Clemson is tired of losing. Clemson wants results. Clemson wants 10+ win seasons. Clemson wants ACC Championships. Clemson wants, no, must beat South Carolina.

Clemson wants to matter.

It's all yours Dabo.... bring the trophy home.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/497442-clemson-football-the-memory-of-championships-brings-expectations

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trying to be serious, but at the same time making fun of

Oct 21, 2010, 11:56 AM

someone's deformity in your picture. What an idiot !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson wants to matter."

Oct 21, 2010, 11:57 AM

That's what makes any sporting season more fun. Clemson hasn't mattered in a long time. Those of us old enough to remember when Clemson mattered long for those days again.

The younger folks don't get it - because they have never felt it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, we have felt it. Only for small bits of time though.

Oct 21, 2010, 12:42 PM

The weeks after beating #3 FSU in 2003 and on into January '04 after beating #6 Tennessee.

The week after beating #10 Miami before losing to Duke in 2004.

Beating #9 FSU on the road, winning six in a row including beating #11 Georgia Tech, before going into Lane Stadium on a Thursday night in 2006.

We know what it's like to be relevant. Just not longer than a couple weeks at a time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

You're right, of course. But it made everything about

Oct 21, 2010, 12:49 PM

football just a little more fun, didn't it?

Clemson "mattered" in the off-season leading up to the loss to Alabama. That off-season was just a little more interesting and fun than the others. We were relevant.

Us old guys remember feeling that way about The Tigers about 90% of the time. It felt good!

Re: You're right, of course. But it made everything about

Oct 21, 2010, 1:46 PM

When I say, "Clemson wants to matter"

I mean in the topic of national discussion consistently every year. Being picked for ACC champion, yes, but more than that. Its making pre-season top 10 polls every year.
Yes, we did that in 2008, but we obviously didnt deserve it.
Just winning.. and winning big games.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point...it's only for very small bits of time***

Oct 21, 2010, 12:56 PM [ in reply to No, we have felt it. Only for small bits of time though. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This isn't the 1980s...

Oct 21, 2010, 12:21 PM

college football has changed significantly since 1986. The main ways: 1) the 85 scholarship limit, 2) more 1A schools and fewer scholarships each can award, 3)increased academic requirements (see the APR). Is that really so hard to understand? And yes, I was around in the 1980s. I showed up, along with 5,000 of my classmates, to blow up 340,000+ balloons in 1983. However, I am smart enough to realize that times change. Whether we like it or not, times have changed and they're not going back.

The things you mentioned definitely leveled the playing

Oct 21, 2010, 12:35 PM

field some. But Clemson is a football school with the reputation of a football school. That should be parlayed into a few ACC Championships along the way.

We should be able to hire better coaches and get better players than most of the other ACC schools.

I don't expect a return to the glory days...but we haven't even had a glory day since 1991.

What does "football school" mean?...

Oct 21, 2010, 12:37 PM

That football is the main function of the University?

No - that football is the main sport of the athletics side

Oct 21, 2010, 12:44 PM

of the University.

People donate to IPTAY to get football season tickets. People donate to the Rams Club (UNC) to get basketball season tickets.

Are you advocating doing what Cal-Berkeley is doing?...

Oct 21, 2010, 1:02 PM

drop 5 sports in order to spend 321 MILLION DOLLARS on the football stadium? Do other sports not matter? Last time I checked, Clemson is consistently in the top 10 in baseball attendance. Does baseball not matter? How about basketball, soccer, golf, and others? If soccer doesn't matter, then why do people get so upset when the team doesn't meet their "expectations"?

Ummm....no. You're reading WAY too much into my

Oct 21, 2010, 1:13 PM

simple statement.

With our reputation and facilities, we should be able to attract better coaches and players than most of the other ACC schools.

So, we should expect to win a championship more often than every other decade.

I never said other sports don't matter - the article was specifically about football.

I say we give Cal Berkeley 3 years to see how that works

Oct 21, 2010, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Are you advocating doing what Cal-Berkeley is doing?... ]

out for them, then we go for it if they start to dominate in football on the west coast!

why don't you expect to return to winning (glory days)

Oct 21, 2010, 12:44 PM [ in reply to The things you mentioned definitely leveled the playing ]

you should expect it and if it doesn't happen demand it.

one of Clemson's biggest problems is not demanding our coaches/adm to win on the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't expect a return to the glory days in the sense that

Oct 21, 2010, 12:53 PM

Clemson would win the ACC Championship EVERY year (like we used to). That's not a realistic goal with VT, FSU, and Miami in the mix now. But, I expect The Tigers to be better than they are and better than they have been.

we didn't win it every yr in the 80s either, but I expected

Oct 21, 2010, 12:58 PM

us to win and knew we had a good shot to win.

Clemson fans need to realize we push the cart and if we continue to push "avg" football we'll get "avg" football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC sucked in the 1980s...

Oct 21, 2010, 1:04 PM

winning it really wasn't a huge accomplishment.

sucks now and we still can't win it

Oct 21, 2010, 1:06 PM

what's better, winning championship in sucky conf or not winning championship i sucky conference

It's much better now than it was then.***

Oct 21, 2010, 1:10 PM

maybe you should sit this one out junior***

Oct 21, 2010, 1:12 PM

We won it in '81, '82, '83, '86, '87, '88. I'm just saying

Oct 21, 2010, 1:05 PM [ in reply to we didn't win it every yr in the 80s either, but I expected ]

it's not likely to happen to that extent again with FSU, et al in the conference now.

I don't think we should settle for 8 win seasons - the title should always have to come through Clemson.

Just want to win a bad conference about 1 out every 3 years***

Oct 21, 2010, 12:22 PM

You have won ONE conference championship EVER

Oct 21, 2010, 12:25 PM

Forgive me if I don't ask coots about winning championships.

How does their comment make them a coot?

Oct 21, 2010, 12:42 PM

I agree. The ACC is horrible, worst next to big east, and we can't even win it.

It's been a generation since we mattered

Oct 21, 2010, 12:44 PM

I hope we see it again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Short-sighted.

Oct 21, 2010, 12:46 PM

Dude, Clemson Football has been around since 1896. You could say the fan base was "hooked" in 1900 when a guy named John Heisman lead Clemson to our first conference championship. The history of our University, and our football team go hand in hand and date back long before 1981. I bet 95% of our current students weren't even born yet. And those that were are working on PHDs, not standing in line at Collegiate Club ticket distribution.

It's not a bad article, but have a little perspective. Dabo isn't Danny, and he isn't Tommy either. Tommy was coming off an undefeated season at Tulane, he had some credentials (his last name) to buy him time, and then he kept getting us close to keep him around. Dabo doesn't have the background, lets not forget he was selling real estate until Tommy picked him up and gave him a shot. He's not going to get the time Tommy got.

Don't get me wrong, Dabo doing well is good for all of us and I sincerely hope he will win a ton of games for us. But making comparisons to Danny like that's the standard to live up to, instead of straight up wins and losses, is counterproductive as a fan base. I realize its blasphamy, but Danny hasn't been our coach for a long time, and with all due respect, he wouldn't last in today's game. Just ask Arkansas.

Replies: 26
| visibility 898
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic