Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Greatness and why so many of you miss it.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 80
| visibility 1

Clemson Greatness and why so many of you miss it.

Oct 13, 2010, 3:22 PM

I hear a lot about "shutup and pull for your team" and "you hate CU if you criticize our administration" lately. Now let me tell you something.

On January 18th, 1990 I was standing on the front lawn of the President's home with a giant sign that said "Bring Danny Back". There were a couple hundred people there with me. That's it, just a couple hundred. That dark day marked the beginning of the dry spell for Clemson football that we still find ourself under.

I bet a lot of you on here pumping sunshine would have been doing the same back then too, saying things like "If you don't support Max Lennon you don't support Clemson", or "The players need us...don't let them think we're angry", or "You're going to scare off recruits".

Well maybe if a few thousand of you namby pamby hand wringers had joined us on the lawn that night, we wouldn't be where we are right now. We wouldn't have had to endure the likes of Ken Hatfield, or Tommy West.

So to you I say, to heck with your false support. I've seen what shutting up and going along to get along has done to Clemson athletics, and I now say NEVER AGAIN!!!

Until I take my dying breath, I will voice my opinion on what's wrong with this program, because I love this school, and she deserves my best efforts to help her.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post, HOF worthy***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:23 PM

DIAF***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:24 PM

Twas a dark day, indeed. It took all the restraint I had in

Oct 13, 2010, 3:25 PM

me not to punch Max Lennon right in the mouth four years later when he handed me my diploma.

Just make sure to give your tickets to a real fan

Oct 13, 2010, 3:25 PM

who supports his team through good times and bad.

clap............................clap........................

Oct 13, 2010, 3:26 PM

clap..............................clap.........clap...clap.clapclapclapclapclap.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for your "support", you COOT!***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:27 PM

Coot. ***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:27 PM

If you wanted Danny and his 4-7's maybe you should've kept

Oct 13, 2010, 3:29 PM

quiet. I actually prefer the wins.

so Hatfield and West improved Clemson? Brilliant.***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:31 PM

I don't think Ford ever went 4-7.***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:36 PM [ in reply to If you wanted Danny and his 4-7's maybe you should've kept ]

he's a coot.***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:38 PM

I was there, I don't remember seeing you.***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

by President's home, he means the President of Clemson

Oct 13, 2010, 3:54 PM

University, not Ghana.

hth

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS POST IS AWESOME AND HIS COUSIN AGREES!!!***

Re: Clemson Greatness and why so many of you miss it.

Oct 13, 2010, 3:30 PM

We have never been the same since that day. Until we become more vocal, we may never be again.

And I was standing in a line,

Oct 13, 2010, 3:30 PM

waiting to buy tickets for an upcoming concert that summer in DV (think it may have been Pink Floyd) when a guy was running pass the entire line screaming that Lennon was resigning....everyone was cheering and clapping, including me. Guess I don't love Clemson either, just gave 4 years of my life, sweat, and work to graduate.

I love them because I want them to be better, and, at this time, the coaching staff is failing...Dabo even said so himself. If he can turn things around, great, but I really just don't have the faith. A Md will not change my mind...I'd like to see some consistency!!! Just call me a hater...

Re: And I was standing in a line,

Oct 13, 2010, 3:49 PM

prolly the stones

Stones were 1989. Point is, was one night of a concert

Oct 13, 2010, 3:51 PM

that he doesn't even remember the name of the band worth 20 years of wandering in the football desert?

Pretty sure it was Floyd.

Oct 13, 2010, 4:04 PM

I think Lennon resigned in the spring of 1993, that concert was the summer of 1993. But, I still remember that guy yelling how he was leaving and how excited everyone was.

I was only 13 at the time, but my Dad was so cotton pickin

mad, we drove up from Columbia and took part in the vigil. When I was late for school the next day, I told my teacher why, she looked at me like I had three eyes. Now she knows. That beatch. I bet she did DIAF.

I was in the 10th grade and couldn't skip school that day.

sorry dude.

But you can't hold a whole fanbase responsible for the

Oct 13, 2010, 3:32 PM

behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole college football system? And if the whole college football system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Obed - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YeeeeeHaaaaaw!

Oct 13, 2010, 3:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5YiQqrZCk

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bravo! I just cross-posted this on some of

Oct 13, 2010, 3:37 PM

the other ACC schools' websites (and S. Car.). Hope you don't mind. Every potential recruit needs to see this!

badge-ringofhonor-elscorcho.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obed is now a Legend, much the same as Danny Ford

Oct 13, 2010, 3:38 PM

himself. Congrats Obed.

Me and Danny both love this dang place too much to quit.***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:39 PM

and this place loves you both too much to quit yall..wait

Oct 13, 2010, 3:40 PM

wut

so you were late?

Oct 13, 2010, 3:42 PM

you should've tackled df before he got himself fired.

i now blame you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Danny wanted a football dorm...that's it. We were already

Oct 13, 2010, 3:46 PM

treating Mauldin hall that way, so it was no big deal.

Instead, Lennon gave the program Vickery Hall....a place that basically formalized academic cheating by the athletic program for years after it's opening.

I ask you, which one was more honorable?

Re: Danny wanted a football dorm...that's it. We were already

Oct 13, 2010, 3:47 PM

i thought i had heard all the idiocy in the world. i was wrong.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

has nothing to do with my comment. no matter the

Oct 13, 2010, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Danny wanted a football dorm...that's it. We were already ]

circumstances df showed his arssee and was canned for it;

he deserved to be fired for insubordination and was.

anything that happened after was going to make zero difference.

hope the weather was decent on the 18th.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps 90% of the faculty should have also been canned

Oct 13, 2010, 3:55 PM

for insubordination after demanding Lennon's resignation and getting it. Seems Danny wasn't the only one fed up with Max---he was just the only one fired for it.

i think they went through the proper channels as i would

Oct 13, 2010, 4:18 PM

suggest anyone do.

i get the sentiment of your post. i really do.

I know, but c'mon. The guy went 10-2 3 years straight...won

Oct 13, 2010, 4:27 PM

a natl championship, put the Clemson name in the national spotlight.

Danny wasn't right for how he expressed himself, but there are times you grow some thick skin, and for Lennon that should have been one of them.

as a university president, lennon sucked. as a person, he

Oct 13, 2010, 4:34 PM

Was even worse.

i hear ya, but danny had been making his bed for months on

Oct 13, 2010, 4:38 PM [ in reply to I know, but c'mon. The guy went 10-2 3 years straight...won ]

the iptay tour. it's not like it was a one shot deal when danny went off, he had been sniping for some time.

my goodness, not even bobby could save him by that time.

danny was danny's own worse enemy and i think if maxxy had really wanted to fire danny he would of/could of long before that fateful day.

max lennon put up with a lot leading up to that day.

Danny had to go and there was nothing that could be done.

Oct 13, 2010, 3:48 PM

Clemson cut a deal with the NCAA to avoid the death penalty that SMU recieved. Here is why.

Charlie Pell era: 1977–1978

Charlie Pell coached the Tigers for two seasons, winning the ACC Coach of the Year award twice and leading the Tigers to the 1978 ACC Championship en route to a 18-4-1 record. In both seasons, Clemson earned berths to the Gator Bowl. However, Pell became involved in NCAA rules and recruiting violations that came to light under the tenure of his successor, Danny Ford. Charlie Pell would leave after 1978 to become head coach at Florida, where his coaching career would end in 1984 following more NCAA rules violations.

Danny Ford Era: 1978–1989

The Danny Ford Era began in 1978, after Charlie Pell left for the University of Florida. He won his first game, the 1978 Gator Bowl, with a 17–15 victory over Ohio State and legendary coach Woody Hayes, who punched LB Charlie Bauman in the throat after making the game-clinching interception. In his first two seasons, Ford guided the Tigers to 8–4 and 6–5 records and a Peach Bowl bid in 1979. In 1981, Ford led the Tigers to a 12–0 record, and Clemson's only National Championship in 1981, a 22-15 victory over Nebraska in the Orange Bowl, and the school's first national championship in any sport. During his tenure at Clemson, Ford compiled a 96-29-4 (.760) record, a 6-2 bowl record, won five ACC championships, and finished the year ranked in at least one poll seven times. Ford also coached 21 All-Americans and 41 players who went on to play in the NFL during his 11 seasons at Clemson.

On November 21, 1982, the football program was placed on probation for a 2-year period to include the 1983 and 1984 seasons. This sanction was enforced on the program by the NCAA Committee on Infractions due to a lengthy history of recruiting violations to gain an athletic advantage that had taken place from 1977 through the Tigers' 1981 National Championship season and into 1982, under the administration of two head coaches, Charlie Pell and Danny Ford. The Atlantic Coast Conference imposed a third year of conference penalty.

Over 150 documented violations were found to have been committed under NCAA bylaws in the categories of improper recruiting inducements, extra benefits to student-athletes, ethical conduct, improper financial aid, improper campus visits, improper transportation and entertainment, improper use of funds, improper employment, improper recruiting contact, and distribution of cash to players by members of the coaching staff.

As a result of these violations, Clemson was barred from participating in bowl games following the 1982 and 1983 seasons, and barred from appearing on live television in the 1983 and 1984 seasons. Also, the number of scholarships that the university could allocate to football players was restricted to 20 (from the normal limit of 30) for the 1983-84 and 1984-85 academic years. The Tigers, however, were allowed to keep their 1978 and 1981 ACC titles as well as the 1981 national title.

Charles Alan Wright, chairman of the NCAA Committee on Infractions said at the time, "Due to the large number and serious nature of the violations in this case, the committee believed that institutional sanctions related to appearances on television and in postseason football bowl games were appropriate. In addition, because the violations indicated a pattern of improper recruiting activities, the committee determined that a two-year limitation on financial aid to new recruits should be imposed to offset any recruiting advantage that was gained improperly by the university."

Just five years after their probation ended, Clemson once again found their football program accused of multiple recruiting violations in January 1990.The NCAA accused Clemson of giving cash to players and having illegal contact with recruits over a period from 1984 to 1988. In June 1990, the Tigers found themselves on probation once again, for the second time in less than a decade. This chain of events contributed, in part, to the forced resignation of popular head coach Danny Ford.

No, Danny wanted a new football-only dorm. That stuff

you posted is revisionist history. I was there, man.

Are you the editor of that wiki page?***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Danny had to go and there was nothing that could be done. ]

ah, yes, the mysterious "garnet and black" who just happens

Oct 13, 2010, 3:56 PM

to be a wiki editor, especially as it pertains to the "south carolina - Clemson rivalry" page, with multiple complaints against him.

You are absolutely correct, I made it all up myself.

Oct 13, 2010, 3:59 PM

Amazing! - g&b

I'm not the only one who thinks so....see for yourself

Oct 13, 2010, 4:02 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:GarnetAndBlack

The reason I ask is that Danny is that

Oct 13, 2010, 4:07 PM [ in reply to You are absolutely correct, I made it all up myself. ]

my understanding is that Danny was cleared by the NCAA of any worngdoing....as he would have to be to be hired by another program as HC within 5 years of leaving Clemson.

It seems as if whoever is editor of that page has it worng and would probably like to see it corrected.

Is this incorrect?

If it is on the internet, it must be true***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Danny had to go and there was nothing that could be done. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See response above. I have admitted to fabricating . . .

Oct 13, 2010, 4:00 PM

the entire thing; Richard Nixon and Joseph Geobles would be proud - g&b

Re: See response above. I have admitted to fabricating . . .

Oct 13, 2010, 4:03 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:GarnetAndBlack

Try this . . .

Oct 13, 2010, 4:03 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/01/sports/clemson-on-probation.html

So is it 150+ violations plus free money from 1984-1988 as

Oct 13, 2010, 4:07 PM

you wrote in the wiki entry, or two violations of less than $50 as the NYT article wrote? Either way, stay off our wiki page man, that's just obsessively creepy.

busted garnet and black***

Oct 13, 2010, 4:08 PM

If you are saying that " I " wrote all of that, then . . .

Oct 13, 2010, 5:40 PM [ in reply to So is it 150+ violations plus free money from 1984-1988 as ]

fine, I did, if that makes your world better; at some point it is just better to let the other person believe what they like - g&b

You forgot Obamao in you're propaganda comparison....***

Oct 13, 2010, 4:32 PM [ in reply to See response above. I have admitted to fabricating . . . ]

Uhhh...no***

Oct 13, 2010, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Danny had to go and there was nothing that could be done. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

It had more to do with Fords daughter,a player and a beating

Oct 13, 2010, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Danny had to go and there was nothing that could be done. ]

At least that is what I heard from a former player.

Again....no***

Oct 13, 2010, 4:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks for at least revealing your sources***

Oct 13, 2010, 4:10 PM [ in reply to It had more to do with Fords daughter,a player and a beating ]

Voice your opinion all you want, I'm certainly not

Going to try and stop you. But I would like to know if you think p!ssing and maoning on a message board encompasses "your best efforts to help her." Have you contacted anyone in IPTAY, AD's office, President's office, or the Board of Trustees to voice your opinion? By all means say what you gotta say, I just don't know if that classifies as help.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

I've spoken ad nauseum to my IPTAY rep......he actually

Oct 13, 2010, 3:51 PM

agrees with me.

We're ok with Dabo at the helm, but want to see some major changes and money spent on this crown jewel of a program, pronto.

He ain't going to get you very far.***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

I wish I could have been there***

Oct 13, 2010, 3:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If me and a few friends RA this, will you lose the points?***

WONDERFUL POST, sure agree

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did the president ask you to cut his grass?***

He wasn't even home.***

There were more than 200 of us.....

on the lawn of the President's House that night. Although the number may have dwindled down to 200 after the peoplice started insisting that people either leave or go to jail.

I just remember a couple hundred + students. It was

surprising too, since it wasn't especially cold for a January afternoon.

It's probably a good thing Max wasn't at home....

I still think someone would have taken a shot at him had they seen him.

Max knew that Danny and the football program had become bigger than the University but I firmly believe that he grossly underestimated Danny's popularity.

i think danny grossly overestimated his own popularity and

Oct 13, 2010, 4:15 PM

seriously underestimated lennon's authority.

That is absolutely correct !!!***

Oct 13, 2010, 4:16 PM

YES YES YES.***

I apologize for only being 7 at the time...Bring Back Danny!***

Oct 13, 2010, 4:10 PM

That's what she said!***

Oct 13, 2010, 4:11 PM

I wasn't born yet....

Oct 13, 2010, 4:18 PM

Sorry for not being there.

Oct 13, 2010, 4:22 PM

wish I could have said it that well!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2010, 9:58 PM

I'm sorry to break it to you all, but my friend and myself were the reasons for the "vigil" as it became known. As God is my witness, it was two women..parents of Clemson students at the time. When Danny was "fired" (and ya'll can talk ad-nauseam about the why.. and I just read what was said by Garnet and Black, and sir, you ARE very mistaken,) we made the trip to Clemson because I used to work in the Athletic Dept.(that was the longest sentence on record!) On the way home, we heard a radio station MC in Anderson discussing this "news". We went to the radio station and just talked with the MC for a little bit. While on the radio, I innocently said that I thought as a tribute to Danny and his record at Clemson that there ought to be a way that we fans could let him know how grateful we were and show him some support. At that point, we all said, "why not gather on Bowman Field and bring candles." That's ALL we said and we left. I had to be in Charlotte the night of the said event. My friend and her husband went. (We never even thought that there would be a traffic jam, cops, etc.) To our surprise, the wires had picked up the story and people from as far away as Florida came. There were no plans whatsoever to go to the President's Home. There were no plans at all!!! Just a candle light gathering. Going to the President's Home never entered our mind as that was not our purpose. He was not at home any way. It got way too much play on the radio and such. I have heard so many stories about why Coach Ford was fired, and as with rumors, they get bigger, and about as far from the truth as it could be. This happened years ago, and I had hoped that at some time, Coach Ford would write a book & "tell" all. It would surely put to rest stuff that I hear and read on this board. There were things going on in the administration that shouldn't have been going on. Danny Ford was the only obstacle that was felt to be standing in their way of total control, especially if he won another National Championship. Coach Ford had to hire his own attorney and go to the NCAA meetings himself. He and none of his coaches were found guilty of ANYTHING!!!!! He held a news conference and was going to tell the whole story, along with the fact that they were cleared of any wrongdoing, but he was advised in a urgent phone call that if he ever wanted to coach again, he had better not do anything other than talk about the "not guilty" report from the NCAA.It was felt that no administration would want him if he did that. (Lennon had already done his best to blackball him to Presidents.) Lennon received his just desserts when the faculty senate gave him a vote of no confidence. He left Clemson . Later on.he went to Mars Hill My friend, by coincidence, ran into a Mars Hill lady one day in a restroom. They struck up a conversation and my friend said to her that our old president, Maxd Lennon, was there, wasn't he? The lady said that he had almost bankrupted their school and was not popular at all. To my knowledge he is not there any longer, and I've not kept up with him as I could care less. So there you have it, the reason there was a "vigil" from the person who accidentally started it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there that night as well. We have a right to

Oct 13, 2010, 10:17 PM

voice concern. However I think we should give Dabo a fair chance. I wouldn't have hired him. That being said, I wouldn't have hired Danny Ford after Charlie Pell either, so what the heck do I know.

Give him a fair shot. For a man with no prior headcoaching experience, has hasn't done that bad. He is young and has potential to be a great coach. Let the season play out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So let me get this straight...

Oct 13, 2010, 11:26 PM

Because you stood on Max Lennon's lawn 20 years ago and because you want "what's best for Clemson", it makes it okay to demand the head of a young up-and-coming coach who took over during a tough situation and landed us in the ACC title game in his first full season... All because we lost ONE game that we probably should have won.

No thanks. Hope you stay home on Saturday.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you were responding to me, but just in case

Oct 14, 2010, 8:23 AM

I said... "Give him a fair shot. For a man with no prior headcoaching experience, has hasn't done that bad. He is young and has potential to be a great coach. Let the season play out"

I hope my position is clear. Support Dabo this season and next, then decide.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, you don't have it straight at all, but that's pretty

Oct 14, 2010, 8:31 AM [ in reply to So let me get this straight... ]

standard around here, so I'll explain.

as I said here, http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=9621776, I like Dabo at the helm...I think he's a good face for and steward of the program, but he needs money spent on the additional positions he asks for, as well as some big time assistant coaches.

Steele is losing me quickly, and I don't see any way that Napier can stay in his current position next season.

If Dabo goes the Bowden route, and refuses to take his buddies out of their positions of power for the sake of the program, then I'll have to rethink my position on him.

I have yet to call for Dabo's head on here.

This is the type of "loyal dissenter" talk that I can

Oct 14, 2010, 8:52 AM

get behind.
I think you are exactly right about Dabo and the coordinators. Dabo is not the next Danny, he has a much better chance of being the next "Bobby", as in Bobby Bowden (this is strickly for comparison purposes). He is an energetic, enthusiastic leader, but he needs the type of people around him that made FSU great during its tremendous run. Bowden was leading the team, but he was not coaching it. What Dabo needs to do is behind closed doors make sure his coaches know that if they don't get their sh@t straight the said closed doors will be hitting them on the a$$ really quick and if improvement is not seen quickly then the doors need to be opened and the pressure put on them publicly.

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Bingo.....he's not an X&O guy and never will be. He's a

Oct 14, 2010, 8:58 AM

motivator...a guy that can get the most out of his players...a guy that can go into a recruit's home and walk out with the deal closed...a guy that can meet with various boosters and get them fired up and writing checks.

He d##n well needs some brilliant X&O guys under him though, or all that is for naught.

Replies: 80
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic