Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN announced CJ signed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 2,579

ESPN announced CJ signed

Aug 6, 2010, 10:21 AM

just announced a minute ago that CJ signed. 20.5 million guaranteed. 5 years 25mill.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haven't been keeping up. How does that compare to other

Aug 6, 2010, 10:23 AM

1st rounders?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And here is the report...

Aug 6, 2010, 10:27 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5442346

Re: So the amount is less than the #10, 11, and 12

Aug 6, 2010, 10:31 AM

picks, but with a higher gauranteed amount.

yes and it looks like he has incentives built in

Aug 6, 2010, 10:34 AM

it says could escalate to 37

Re: Either way...

Aug 6, 2010, 10:37 AM

that's a boat load of money!

With a potential strike/lockout, that guarantee is huge

Aug 6, 2010, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: So the amount is less than the #10, 11, and 12 ]

that means he will get paid even if the NFL has labor problems next year.

Bingo. And the likelihood of a 2011 NFL season is

Aug 6, 2010, 11:34 AM

very, very slim right now. Amazing that more people aren't talking about this. I have heard more than one person say, "There's too much money at stake for both sides - players and owners - so they'll figure it out."

Trust me...there is a very real chance that won't happen in time to have a 2011 season. The threat of a work stoppage in the NFL is very, very real.

And would be the dumbest thing they could do

Aug 6, 2010, 11:59 AM

MLB worked for dang near a decade to rebuild any momentum after cancelling the last half of a season. I can only imagine the #### storm of public opinion aimed at the NFL (players and owners) if they decide to play chicken.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know, I both agree and disagree...

Aug 6, 2010, 12:05 PM

The owners feel like they have to dig in their heels here, because of what the players are asking them to give up. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with the NFLPA demands, but they are significant in terms of sharing revenue between the owners and players. The owners are arguing that they bear the financial risk and deserve to be compensated for that. The players are saying that they are the product and deserve to be compensated for that. And both sides are correct.

The thing is, the players have more to lose than the owners. And the owners know that. If there is no 2011 NFL season, it will certainly hurt the owners...but it will largely hurt them on paper. The value of their franchises will decrease, and there will be cash costs to operations without ticket revenue and concession revenue coming in. But the owners will still earn a share of licensing fees from merchandise (which will still sell during a stoppage, just not as briskly) and from enterprises like NFL Films.

The players, however, don't have a replacement source of income during the stoppage. The NBA players saw this quickly in '99 (?) which was why they folded 1/3 of the way into the season.

Thus, the owners have the leverage and that makes for a very precarious situation.

Apparently, though, the owners view the MLB comparison as a fallacy. I can't decide whether I agree or not. Whether it is arrogance or truth, or somewhere inbetween, the owners believe that the NFL will recover from a stoppage much more quickly than MLB did because NFL games have become much more culturally ingrained - on weekends, 16-week season, fantasy sports, etc. So they're gambling that it won't take nearly as long for the NFL to regain its cultural footing.

Re: You know, I both agree and disagree...

Aug 8, 2010, 9:43 PM

I don't agree with either side...however, you are missing one thing. The NFL network and dish packages. Those were not built into the current labor agreement. The current labor agreement was built on the Fox and CBS deals. So the players are asking for a percentage of the NFL network and dish network revenue.

Also, don't forget that the NFL and each team in the NFL is a non profit organization. So...they have to show NO money at year end! ha! I bet you didn't know that.

Pretty crazy, and I am surprised more people aren't talking about it as well.

Comparison

Aug 6, 2010, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Haven't been keeping up. How does that compare to other ]

Sam Bradford - 6 years, $78M; $50M G
Ndamukong Suh - 5 Year, $60M (MAX $68M); $40M G
Gerald McCoy - 5 years, $63.5M (max) $35M G
Trent Williams - 6 years, $60M (max); $36.75M G
Eric Berry - 6 years, $60M (max); $34M G
Russell Okung - Unsigned
Joe Haden - 5 years, $50M (max); $26M G
Rolando McClain - 5 years, $40M; $23M G
C.J.Spiller - Reported 5 years $25M, $20.5 G
Tyson Alualu - 5 Years, $28M; $17.5G
Anthony Davis - 5 years, $26.5M; $15.954M G
Ryan Mathews - 5 years, $25.65M; $15.08M G

CJ's contract seems to be right about where you'd expect it to be.
Good luck CJ!

Thanks...***

Aug 6, 2010, 10:38 AM

LOL...I just realized the breakdown was right there in the

Aug 6, 2010, 10:42 AM

ESPN link I posted. Not very observant of me. ;)

He's a trooper. I wouldn't want to play in Buffalo.***

Aug 6, 2010, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Haven't been keeping up. How does that compare to other ]

link to story

Aug 6, 2010, 10:27 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5442346

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If there is anything better then being a Clemson Tiger , I haven't found it yet.

Nice! Glad to see C.J. set for life...***

Aug 6, 2010, 10:29 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly, $21 million guaranteed does not leave an NFL player

Aug 6, 2010, 11:48 AM

set for life.

I recognize that is hard for folks like you and me to comprehend, but it's true.

Having worked with a couple of NFL players, it's amazing to see what they paid out of pocket to build/prolong their career. And I'm not talking about NFL veterans. Most top players, including top draft picks, pay out of pocket for personal trainers, nutrionists, supplements, etc. These costs can be substantial - more than $25,000 per month or $300,000 per season. And because of a rule in the tax code, they are only deductible for an "employee" if they exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income. So if you make $2.5 million, the first $500,000 of expenses are nondeductible. Then add in the costs of disability insurance, which are costly and wholly nondeductible, and the "necessary" expenses add up really quickly before you even get into paying for whatever lifestyle you choose.

Thus, playing in New York, after taxes and job-related expenses, he may only clear $6 or $7 million over those 5 years. And with the average NFL career being 3 1/2 years, the median odds say that this will be his only contract.

Now, if I were handed a net $6 or $7 million, I could make that last for a very long time. But it's not the huge financial windfall it would appear to be.

Re: Sadly, $21 million guaranteed does not leave an NFL player

Aug 6, 2010, 12:11 PM

Lucky for him, due to his character he will end up with quite a bit more in endorsements. At least I think he will.

Good point - I sure hope so.***

Aug 6, 2010, 12:16 PM

Re: Sadly, $21 million guaranteed does not leave an NFL player

Aug 6, 2010, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Sadly, $21 million guaranteed does not leave an NFL player ]

Yeah, and I wonder how that median time spent in the league breaks down for players at Spiller's position. I'd guess that certain positions have a shorter shelf life than others.

Per an NFLPA study a couple years ago, 2.6 years***

Aug 6, 2010, 12:20 PM

Short

Message was edited by: tomerafan®

It looks CJ has set himself up well could escalate to 37

Aug 6, 2010, 10:33 AM

wonder what different milestones are for incentives to kick in

Re: It looks CJ has set himself up well could escalate to 37

Aug 6, 2010, 10:37 AM

haven't been able to find that one. hopefully they're ones that are actually possible. not some stupid $3M bonus for winning the super bowl and things like that.

CJ Spiller is such a Clemson advocate...

Aug 6, 2010, 11:01 AM

that I strongly suspect that Clemson will eventually receive a nice percentage of that.

Congrats to CJ - he deserves it.

Message was edited by: kgpittm®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congratulations to CJ! You deserve it buddy

Aug 6, 2010, 11:05 AM

Great ambassador and a heck of an athlete. Must be nice! It'll take me 3 lifetimes to make that much!

Replies: 25
| visibility 2,579
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic