Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can you be a real Clemson person if you did not attend
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Can you be a real Clemson person if you did not attend

Jul 14, 2010, 10:44 PM

classes there?

Great ad nauseum discussion for DT.

lol

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Can you be a real Clemson person if you did not attend

Jul 14, 2010, 10:53 PM

yes

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not according to the experts

Jul 14, 2010, 10:57 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are the "they" that everyone refers to

Jul 14, 2010, 10:58 PM

just in case you were wondering

Posters on this topic are constantly confusing

Jul 16, 2010, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Not according to the experts ]

Clemson (the academic institution), with Clemson (the athletic program) ...

Absolutely anyone can be a fan of either or both, but ...

IMHO, only grads (or current students) have the right to chime in on academic issues.

Yes, even if those academic issues appear to directly impact the athletic programs.

That's just my personal opinion.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

of course.

Jul 14, 2010, 10:58 PM

and it would be ignorant not to think so. if you took away fans that didn't go to Clemson then our fan base would be much much smaller.

I'm speaking for myself, but I grew up in a family that were MASSIVE Clemson fans. We were only about 20 minutes from campus. My mom is a Clemson graduate. But that's the only person in my family that actually went there. I didn't go there because Clemson didn't offer what I wanted. And I'm sure it's that way for a lot of folks... plus you have to think about kids who wanted to go there and couldn't afford it or just couldn't get in for certain circumstances.

If you love Clemson, that's all that should matter... not whether you went there or not.

Go Tigers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Re: of course.

Jul 15, 2010, 7:55 AM

Agreed...my grandfather was the biggest Clemson person I knew but he was unable to attend Clemson because of the influx of veterans coming back from WWII at the time of his high school graduation. Instead, he went to PC and had the opportunity to play in the Valley a couple times as a visiting player. Anyone who thinks that someone has to actually attend a school to be a true fan is very myopic.

Re: of course.

Jul 15, 2010, 9:40 AM

Agree. My dad is the biggest Clemson fan around. He never went to any college. Just loves Clemson. That is what really counts.

^^^end of discussion.***

Jul 19, 2010, 3:47 PM [ in reply to of course. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

My opinion

Jul 14, 2010, 11:05 PM

Your ties to Clemson are similar to ties to the military.

Being in the military, simply growing up in a military family, or having absolutely no military affiliation at all result in very different experiences with the military. The affiliations are all different and offer unique perspectives that the others cannot.

That said, we all still support the troops with as much heart as the next guy.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2010, 11:39 PM

I have never been in a classroom,attended a lecture,written a term paper,or recieved a degree,but if I am not a real Clemson person,then please refund me every dollar I payed IPTAY,payed for season {and individual}tickets,bought souveniors,concessions,hats,shirts,etc. in the 12 years I have been a fan.

Only if you're a descendent of Thomas G Clemson are you a

Jul 15, 2010, 1:02 AM

true Clemson person.

The only exception is Danny Ford.

Re: Only if you're a descendent of Thomas G Clemson are you a

Jul 15, 2010, 6:24 AM

According to your statement there are no exceptions!

according to his statement there is one exception***

Jul 15, 2010, 6:57 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: according to his statement there is one exception***

Jul 15, 2010, 7:50 AM

Ok,then according to his logic,you would have to include the man who was responsible for hiring Danny Ford!

If you get physically sick and/or ticked off when..........

Jul 15, 2010, 7:19 AM

clemson loses a football game........you are a real clemson person

Re: If you get physically sick and/or ticked off when..........

Jul 15, 2010, 7:26 AM

Nice response. From a grad, I salute you for putting it in the terms you chose.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: If you get physically sick and/or ticked off when..........

Jul 15, 2010, 7:38 AM [ in reply to If you get physically sick and/or ticked off when.......... ]

Pheebo, i don't think it could be a better answer for a die hard fan. Thats has to be the real reason real fans loved DF so much. When he was the coach we did'nt get as hurt or sick during FB season.

I think if you get physically sick over

Jul 15, 2010, 8:23 AM [ in reply to If you get physically sick and/or ticked off when.......... ]

any sporting event played by college kids, you may be a "true fan" but probably need a different hobby.

Now I will say I fit that description for a short time when I first got out of college. But life happens and you realize what's really important - and it ain't college kids playing a sport.

That's easy to say when you're used to losing***

Jul 15, 2010, 8:42 AM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: That's easy to say when you're used to losing***

Jul 15, 2010, 12:10 PM

Well, Clemson fans should be used to losing a ton in basketball because there has been a lot of it over the decades.

Did you get physically sick about Omaha this year?

Do you get physically sick over ever basketball loss?

I don't get physically sick over any sporting event - especially one played by college kids.

It is important- but not that important.

Yet you hang out like a vulture posting 5100 times here ?

Jul 15, 2010, 5:26 PM

Perhaps you should try to sell what you are peddling to yourself first.

Without question, yes...

Jul 15, 2010, 7:21 AM

I know people who grew up huge Clemson fans and still are today. Some of them never went to college at all. Some went to other schools because of a desired major or to play a sport that they were offered a scholarship for.

So of course you can be a "Clemson person" without attending school there. To say otherwise is ignorant and elitist (in my opinion).

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Would Death Valley ever sell out if only Clemson grads were

Jul 15, 2010, 7:55 AM

allowed? I think for ever one Clemson grad who attend games there or 20 non grads who attend games. I think a lot of support come from folks who just grew up in the area, or who have always liked Clemson, or just refuses to root for the chickens.

Cummulative alumni > DV capacity just within last decade!***

Jul 15, 2010, 9:10 AM

I think fans that are also grads

Jul 15, 2010, 8:21 AM

have more credibility provided they know what they are talking about. Meaning- a grad that doesn't really know half the names of players on the team won't have credibility at all.

I think alums have slightly more vested interest in a school than a fan does. Folks that have put in the work to graduate from their school put not only their money where their mouth is - but they put in a heck of a lot of hard work.

Plus, there is a slight loss of credibility when you find you are discussing with someone about the team GPA, or the graduation rate of a team or program when the person you are talking with never went to college at all.

why would a grad have any more vested interest in the

Jul 15, 2010, 9:46 AM

football program than I do....My father (non-grad) and I (non CU grad) have been giving to IPTAY for 30 years now... I think my "vested" interest in the football program is just as great as any CU grad

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why would a grad have any more vested interest in the

Jul 15, 2010, 10:21 AM

I think you said it best - Because to you it is just a football program.

To a graduate, it is home. Graduates care about more than just the football program.

Now, as to the point of the discussion, you can most definitely be as good of a FAN of Clemson without attending the university as a Graduate. That said, grads and non grads will still have different feelings about the University as a whole.

Alums share a unique bond.....

Jul 15, 2010, 10:44 AM

that a non-alum cannot fully appreciate but that doesn't make the non-alum any less of a fan.

In my experience the non-alums who are die hard fans get just as emotional after a big victory or a frustrating/disappointing loss as alums do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Alums share a unique bond.....

Jul 15, 2010, 12:12 PM

I agree with that. I think some non alums get even more emotional.

That's why I focused my post above on credibility. I personally give an alum of a school more credibility and respect their opinion more than I do a non alum.

I agree in part....

Jul 15, 2010, 12:25 PM

If you are discussing something like admissions requirements or other academic related topics, an alum a college grad is clearly going to have a bit more insight into those types of issues.

However, I know several people who did not attend either Clemson or South Carolina but are very knowledgable and informaed when it comes to the respective sports programs. Some moreso than a lot of alums I know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another angle on this matter.......

Jul 15, 2010, 2:23 PM

Folks need to appreciate the part of the fan base that did not go to school at Clemson. Times change.....and it is terribly hard to get in Clemson now from an academic standpoint. Thousamds of kids in this state who have been life long Clemson fans dont have the option to go to Clemson because they dont make 1200 or whatever they are now requiring so Barker can meet Newsweeks approval for freshman SAY scores. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it bans a tremendous amouth of folks that would love to go to Clemson. And as I said previously, hard to imagine the impact it would have on attendence if it was only limited to graduates.

It's too bad you aren't smart enough to get into Clemson...

Jul 15, 2010, 8:25 PM

...you could always enroll at USuC. They'll take anyone.

well, first - I didn't say

Jul 15, 2010, 12:08 PM [ in reply to why would a grad have any more vested interest in the ]

football program. I said "school." By extension, that means the football program - and everything else.

You sort of made the point for me. (especially with a handle like Citadel Tiger)

I think graduates of a school have more of a vested interest in all things related to the school and have more credibility when the make their points than a non graduate does.

In my experience, non graduates are more likely to be a fan of 1 or 2 programs than everything at the school.

I gradauted from South Carolina. I have a vested interest not only in football but I care about everything that happens at the school and I keep up with it like I do care.

It is also my experience that a non grad is more likely to post something like " I love Clemson football but I am also a huge Duke basketball fan. " There are exceptions of course but the people that make those posts, in my experience, are non alums.

Ask Frank Howard, Danny Ford, et. al....

Jul 15, 2010, 8:28 AM

Those who were blessed to attend Clemson share a common experience that was special. But simply plopping into a seat in Riggs or a lunch chair at Harcombe (while it may ultimately shorten your life span) doesn't make a person a greater Clemson person." I'm guessing we all know people who went there who might as well have attended some university Lord knows where.

The "Clemson person" carries an appreciation for this school, its tradition and its place in the universe. Frank, Danny and a score of "sons of Clemson" never attended the school, but their blood is just as orange as the evening sun over Hartwell.

You didn't need to fall asleep in Comp Lit in Strode to share that.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frank Howard, Danny Ford, Tim Bourrette, Jim Phillips.

Jul 15, 2010, 8:39 AM

Real Clemson people?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Frank Howard, Danny Ford, Tim Bourrette, Jim Phillips.

Jul 15, 2010, 11:06 AM

just the living ones

YES!!!***

Jul 15, 2010, 8:40 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely !!!!

Jul 15, 2010, 8:54 AM

Some of the biggest, most loyal, and die hard supporters of Clemson I know never once ever sat foot on the campus as a student. Likewise I know some Clemson alums who are totally indifferent when it comes to supporting Clemnson.

Jul 15, 2010, 8:58 AM

Yes. My grandmother never attended Clemson and started taking me to Clemson football games when I was 4 (1980). She was a IPTAY member from 1980 to 2006 (or whichever year it was when they started moving everyone around and raising prices).

I have loved Clemson Football and to this day my grandmother and I consider ourselves the biggest Clemson fans. It still hurts like crazy when we lose, but nothing close to as bad as it hurt when I was 12 and FSU pulled the puntrooskie on us. That was the closest I've ever been to tears.

Jul 15, 2010, 9:06 AM

of course you can!

i just wish all of the fans who didn't attend had received the amazing opportunity to do so

...the only thing they miss out on is a little bit of the nostalgia on a Saturday afternoon

i remember sitting there after blah blah, doing blah blah, etc.

you know you are nostalgic when...

you take a picture of the mailbox that was yours for 4 years of your life

you think about all the times you walked across that beautiful campus to get to it...maybe a letter from good ole mom or a birthday card from your aunt...little touch of home to keep you on the right track

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2010, 9:55 AM

I think you can be a fan of Clemson football no matter what and I don't care if you pay money to IPTAY or not. But to say that an alum doesn't have a more vested interest than a normal fan is absurd. I lived there for 4 years of my life and attended all kinds of sporting events, intramurals, parties, student govt, etc. So to say that someone that goes to a game 5-6 times a year and only sees part of the campus is equal in spirit and love for Clemson as someone who lived in Johnstone, ate in Harcombe, walked to Sirrine every morning at 7:30 AM is just not right. "Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Did Thomas Green Clemson attend Clemson?

Jul 15, 2010, 10:34 AM

Neither did Ben Tillman... Or Frank Howard. Or Danny Ford.

I went to Alabama, but grew up in the upstate a huge Clemson fan. They just didn't have my major. I bleed orange!

I am a bitter and angry man.

Re: Did Thomas Green Clemson attend Clemson?

Jul 15, 2010, 10:35 AM

You said it in your post...."Fan"

my opinion, FWIW

Jul 15, 2010, 10:46 AM

My 90 yr old grandfather never went to college or graduated from high school for that matter. He worked on a farm in SC all his life. He's never been to a football game to my knowledge.

But when I was a kid, he watched the games with me. When I was a student, he watched the games looking for me in the stands. To this day, he watches (really listens because he can't see that well) the games because his grandson graduated from Clemson, and that makes him a Tiger by default.

So my answer is yes.

Jul 15, 2010, 10:52 AM

I did not attend there, but Clemson is my local university so I support it through and through. I think alumni do have an edge on us non-alumni, but I think it just means more for them, not less for us.

Certainly.***

Jul 15, 2010, 11:03 AM

Absolutely one would be

Jul 15, 2010, 11:54 AM

Tons of folks spend a lot of money supporting CU athletics that never stepped a foot on CU's campus. You take those folks away and Clemson's support falls off drastically. As it would at any other big school. But in reality every person that works in the state of SC is a Clemson person. If you pay taxes, you are giving a little bit to fund CU.

I did not attend a LOT of classes while I was at Clemson.

Jul 15, 2010, 3:01 PM

Am I ok?

Harley

Only if you drank a beer in every bar.***

Jul 15, 2010, 3:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My take on this

Jul 15, 2010, 5:27 PM

I have no problems whatsoever with either Clemson, or South Carolina fans, who are native South Carolinians that did not attend class there, being fans. The only down side to that is that South Carolina is a more blue collar state, and a lot of people from more prestigious institutions will call us "rednecks." There is a big difference, at least to me, in plain white trash, who survive off of welfare, and are too lazy to work, except work on their meth labs, than good, hard working, country boys, who might look a little rough around the edges, but would not harm a flea. Give me a good hard working country boy any day of the week, who will speak to everyone, be polite to people, etc...Than some educated snob who drives a Rolls Royce, and thinks they are better than everyone. We are all people, and as long as we make an honest living, and do the best we can do with what we were given, then we are all a like.

I was fortunate enough to earn a degree from Clemson. I grew up a Clemson fan all of my life, but always suffered from pretty bad ADHD. I made average grades growing up, and never thought I would see the inside of a Clemson classroom. I did better on the SAT's than I thought I would, and the only college that I applied too was Clemson. When I received my letter in the mail, I could not believe that I got in. I think the major that I chose (Econ), had a lot to do with me getting in. I did not pick one of the more popular majors, like marketing, PRTM, etc. That's why I encourage people who feel iffy that they will be accepted, to choose one of the most least popular majors they have, and once you get accepted, and start classes, you can change your major.

Anyway, a person who did not got to Clemson for whatever reason, and has lived in South Carolina all or most of their life, has every right to be a fan as anyone. We have no pro sports teams in this state, not anything past AA or AAA anyway, so if you want to adopt a college football team, then I feel you should adopt one from your home state. What I cannot stand seeing are these buffoons who walk around with their UNC caps on sideways during basketball season. And in the 1990s there were many native South Carolinians who adopted FSU or UT. I asked this guy one time, who was from South Carolina, and had never lived anywhere else, but was always raving about FSU, and had an FSU sticker on his car....I asked him what is the name of FSU's head coach? His answer; "I think it is Bobby something but I am not completely sure." This is what caused me to have so much hatred for FSU football and UNC basketball growing up, the fans of not only people who never attended classes, but had never even stepped foot on their campus.

I guess if you live like in Walhalla, and a couple of miles from the Georgia state line, then I might possibly be able to accept you being a UGA fan, but if you choose them, then you need to root for them for life.

And also, I grew up with a friend who had lived in South Carolina all of his life, and was a UGA fan. I could accept that, though, because his dad and Uncle were UGA grads. That's a different story. And when it was time for us to go to college, he ended up going to UGA anyway.

Bottom line is, native South Carolinians who want to adopt a college football or basketball team should adopt one from their home state, or where they have lived most of their life. And none of this being a Alabama fan in football, and a Duke fan in basketball, those type of people tick me off worse than any. Anyway, just my two cents.....

CUTiger02

Jul 15, 2010, 7:19 PM

I agree with you on picking a favorite that seems to be the current standard bearer in each sport to pull for. They are just jumping on whichever bandwagon in the winning one at the moment. All schools have those type folks. I would imagine Clemson had a ton of supposed football fans in the 80's that could have cared less near the end of the Hatfield era, just as I am sure USC suddenly has an influx of baseball fans who probably had no clue who Ray Tanner was a month ago. And I know what you mean about the hats. But I have learned from watching my kids friends that this appears to be as much a fashion statement as anything. Still I find it strange that people who have never so much as watched a baseball game have found it cool to wear their BoSox hat over the last five years or so. I guess I am just getting to old to relate.

Re: CUTiger02

Jul 16, 2010, 1:42 AM

I agree with most of your points on that.

Sometimes the hats and clothing are a fashion statement, which seemed to have been pretty much started by the hip-hop generation in the nineties. For some reason it seemed to have all started with Raiders attire, when the raiders were in Los Angeles. The Raiders were pretty much horrible their entire time in L.A., so it would be hard to say it was people jumping on the bandwagon of a good team. The White Sox was another popular one back then, and somewhat today. But, I think the rap culture started taking off in the early 90s, with Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, who came out of south central L.A., which may explain the Raiders gear of the nineties. Plus, the nineties was a pretty bad time for gang violence in L.A., particularly South Central. The gangs are still there today, but are more racially motivated due to a lot of Latinos moving in that area. I still cannot help but find it hilarious that the city of Los Angeles does not have an NFL team. No NFL team, but two basketball teams, and two baseball teams, although Anaheim seems to have tried to separate themselves from the Los Angeles name, by not wanting to be in the shadow of the Dodgers. But it still does not change the fact that they are only 25 miles from downtown L.A., though.

After rappers Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls were murdered in late 1996/early 1997, rapping/hip hop started to become a rivalry, and up to this day a lot of rap artists judge either by where they came from. Several, like Snoop and Dr Dre are L.A. guys, and wear a lot of L.A. gear, and 50 cent, Jay-Z, and others are New York rappers, and often wear the yankee caps. Then you have the "dirty south rappers" like Ludacris, Usher, Lil John, etc...who wear the Atlanta Braves emblem often, and Nelly who sports the St Louis cardinals gear.

Anyway, most of the fashion statements from the hip hop fans are not normally about the Yankees, Braves, Raiders, White Sox, or whoever, they just use emblems to try and emulate their favorite hip hop artists.

It's a lot more rare to see college logos being represented by the hip hop artists. Snoop Dogg has done it before with Southern Cal, and Ludacris with Georgia, and I have seen a few do it with UNC as well.

And I agree we probably picked up a few bandwagon fans in the 80s, but not as many as some may think. If we did pick up fans from other states in the 80s, due entirely to the '81 team, then most of them have probably jumped off the wagon by now. I see a lot less people wearing FSU or Miami gear these days around South Carolina like they did in the 90s. And I kind of doubt the Gamecocks picked up any due to their baseball title. It's rare to see people that ride the bandwagon jumping on one due to what a college baseball team did. Football and basketball, yes, but baseball, if there are any, it's very few, due to it not getting the kind of exposure of football and hoops.

I think basically South Carolina is a state where two football crazy schools exist, and you are either taught to be Clemson or South Carolina from birth, or start getting into if you attend or attended one of those two schools, because if you want to enjoy sports in this state, then you either have to do it with CU or SCAR, because there are not any professional teams, unless you count the Panthers, to choose from. That right there shows the stupidity of Swofford and the ACC. This time five or six years ago I said that adding Boston College just for a TV market would be a mistake. In Boston it's either Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots, or Bruins. Boston College is just a school in the background that they treat like a Pee-Wee team. Swofford must have been off of his rocker if he thought a number of Boston people would watch a game between Clemson and GT, over one of their professional teams up there.

Without a doubt! If you need an explanation, please advise.***

Jul 15, 2010, 9:52 PM

Tailgate Alumni do help a lot with noise level.***

Jul 15, 2010, 10:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tailgating 101. We wrote the book and hold THE class.***

Jul 16, 2010, 9:08 AM

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic