Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Rev's 10-point survival guide for newbs in Tigernet.:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 673

The Rev's 10-point survival guide for newbs in Tigernet.:

Feb 11, 2005, 4:07 PM

Dangit! I was gonna post this as No. 2,500, then squandered the opportunity. Oh well, such is life.

First of all, welcome to one of the finest collegiate sports message boards in the country. No matter what your loyalty, age, gender or preference in barbecue you will find this an inviting place....IF you understnad a few things before you incur the unceasing emnity of the board faithful.

Since we were all newbs (though some of us before the term was coined) I'd like to offer 10 common-sense suggestions for becoming wizened board veterans who can, in turn harrangue newbies in years to come:

1. You are new. In the hierarchy of board-dom, that means people do not know who you are, whether you're a coot in stripes or some kid waiting for Miguzi to come on Cartoon Network or any of the dozens of other chuckleheaded trolls who have graced us to cause trouble. And many of us geezers have invested way too much money, emotion and time to let someone diminish the quality of this board. So, take your time, learn the players and lament the fact that you'll never know the collected wisdom of Happycat.

2. Learn the lingo: On The Hive, there's a lingo that's special to their world. Same on the A&M board, and of course here. It's not a code designed to make newcomers feel unwelcome. It's how we communicate. There is a dictionary of Tigernet in the Hall of Fame. A few minutes in there would help you speak the language.

3. If you chose a handle including the words "practice" "uttles" or "I'mright,you'rewrong,biteme" you might want to come up with a new handle.

4. Grown a thicker skin. People are going to disagree with you. Heck, I disagree with some folks quite often. But I disagree with what they say, not with them as people. On rare occasion I've been wrong, and I thank them for not pointing it out incessently.

5. Don't be reluctant to disagree in print, but remember your words are in print. And the bad words can be seen in TAC, FWIW. My best advice is when you're typing, imagine Banks McFadden is sitting next to you, reading along. Did yu really want him to see what you said.

6. In criticizing, you'll quickly find it best to limit your comments to specific coaches and general play, rather than calling out individuals. Nothing will label you a P.O.S. poster than raking players over the coals.

7. You only compound your grief when you proclaim yourself a guru. If someone challenges an observation, it's far better to defend what you said than claim it's correct because "my dad coached in the Lowcountry and I was an offensive lineman." News for you...there are former NFL players in here and more prep and college players and coaches than you could count. And they aren't impressed by faulty logic, even when Mr. Know-it-all is spewing it.

8. If you mess up, apologize. It's easy to boil over on subjects you care about, and few are the folks here who haven't done so. Be a man (or woman) and say "I was out of line." It'll be Germans in no time.

9. If you find you like it here, try to pony up and get your r. You don't have to be an alum, an IPTAY or even a Tiger fan, but sticking around without an r is just tacky. And yes Crump can do what he wants...so don't rag him. Without the overlords, we'd betrapped in the cesspool of rivals. They deserve respect.

10. It's two fights and a ######, ######. and it's Someone set up us the bomb, not vice versa.

That's about it. Have fun, row well and live. If you need advice, the smart folks are in TAC.

I'm sure I missed a few. Y'all feel free to chime in.

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nicely done.***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

POINT for "dangit"***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:13 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

preach it, brother...***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:13 PM

Should be an attachment to the dictionary***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very nice, sir.***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:17 PM

Sorry: forgot No. 11 Don't let point Nazis get you down...

Feb 11, 2005, 4:19 PM

Stay with us and you'll earn those Ginsu knives!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ginsus? I thought it was Cutco :)***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:21 PM

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Flaps? We don't need no stinkin' flaps, let it roll in hard and fast!

Hmm: Must be budget cutbacks....***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:24 PM

...When we get to Ronco, I know we'll have hit the bottom.

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

Preach it, Preacher man it should be required reading***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:20 PM

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Flaps? We don't need no stinkin' flaps, let it roll in hard and fast!

"harrangue" . . . nice word.***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:22 PM

Yeah, I love Lemon Harrangue Pie***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:24 PM

You left out the part about Morning Mist. ;)***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:27 PM

Well...newbies should also know that TAC is

Feb 11, 2005, 4:38 PM

Tiger Active Chat. Since this is for newbies and all :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

true dat!***

Feb 11, 2005, 4:39 PM

#11...don't use the word "Germans"

Feb 11, 2005, 4:44 PM

nm

It seems to me, the most important set of rules for new....

Feb 11, 2005, 6:22 PM

posters to follow are those laid out by Crump and B-Meist. Not everyone has enough time throughout the work day to learn the lingo and rules laid out by those who have time to write dozens of posts a day.

preach !!!!***

Feb 11, 2005, 7:10 PM

coming from an I.T. nerd type that i am....***

Feb 11, 2005, 7:11 PM

Several things.

Feb 11, 2005, 6:32 PM

1) i, and no one else, know who you are. the other five of your little buddies in your clique know who you are. so i don't see any need in us following your rules.

2) length of membership gives you absolutely no authority. if someone wanted to come on here and say that happycat was a loser with his first post, then so be it. all members should be welcome regardless of what they have to say.

3) there is no heirarchy of board-dom. thats just in your world. the other 40,000 members on this site don't give a ####.

4) if we don't want to learn the lingo, we don't have to. there are enough of us that don't like you guy's now that one of us will speak up and help anyone that needs help out. they don't need you anymore.

there, now i chimed in.

DER WIDERSTAND.

DER YOUDON'TUNDERSTAND.

Feb 11, 2005, 7:37 PM

AND if you haven't figured out that the comradery of this board is WHAT makes it special... then I'm afraid you are missing out on a lot.

Of course I'm IN the clique... whadda I know.

there is no comradery. there is you guys and people that

Feb 11, 2005, 9:08 PM

alienate and run off. but it won't be that way for long.

I'll be happy to turn in my T'net membership

Feb 11, 2005, 9:27 PM

If you are the new owner.

JMO, but you should stop with the "we & us" and speak for

Feb 11, 2005, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Several things. ]

yourself.
Eventhough, you consider yourself the leader of a large band of other crybaby tnetters.

Old timers could use it too!***

Feb 11, 2005, 7:49 PM

Very Nice Rev***

Feb 12, 2005, 10:00 AM

Replies: 25
| visibility 673
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic