Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Would you rather have Sidney Lowe as your coach?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Would you rather have Sidney Lowe as your coach?

Mar 13, 2010, 12:20 PM

How about Tony Bennett? Frank Haith? Paul Hewitt?

All those guys won first round games, and we didn't. And I don't care. You know what GT and NC State and Miami fans are saying right now? "Where's THIS team been all year? Maybe if we would've played like this on a Tuesday in January, we wouldn't be in this position." I think Purnell's true worth is getting this team locked into the NCAA's BEFORE the ACC tourney even starts. Keep in mind that for a big chunk of this season we played with a weakened team.

And to blame OP for not winning games at the ACC tourney is a little like blaming Steve Spurrier for not winning a BCS game. I don't care what you say, when you're that bad for that long, it just takes time. Purnell got us to the ACC finals a few years back, and to be honest, I didn't know if we'd EVER get that far. We've had three consecutive winning seasons in the ACC (never happened before), and we're headed to the NCAA tourney for the third straight year (happened once before). These are rare heights for Clemson basketball--it's sad that some of you can't enjoy it.

OP has me looking bigger picture, and it doesn't bother me as much as it normally might that we've gone out early in the ACC the last two years. Obviously, I'd rather have both regular season AND post season success. But if you think that NC State fans or Miami fans wouldn't trade their two (or even three) tourney wins to us for a seeding at the big tournament, then you're mistaken.

Another poster used this word earlier--relevant. That's what we are in basketball, and I'll take that every year. If you tell me that I can go to the dance every year and never win another ACC tournament game, I'll sign that contract today. And so would OP.

And I'll take the consistency of reaching the NCAA over getting there every five years and winning a few games any day, too. I'd like to win a game or two there, too, and some day make a BIG run, but considering where this program has been, I don't think it's wrong for us to be happy with three straight years, regardless of results.

I hope we make it to the Sweet 16 this year because I think Purnell deserves to see his efforts during his tenure here rewarded. He deserves some national attention, too, and a Sweet 16 berth would bring that.

But if for some reason we go out early again, I'll still look forward to next year because we now have a chance every year--and THAT'S what OP has done for us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would you rather have Sidney Lowe as your coach? no but

Mar 13, 2010, 12:29 PM

...it is a snappy coat. with the Amoato red shoes and sunglasses it would be something else

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He looked pretty cool when NCS was furnishing arsk

Mar 13, 2010, 12:34 PM

during the regular season too! All we got is OP who wins 20 plus games every year and would win a Lou Gossit Jr. look-a-like contest.

I'll take OP anytime!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That pink tie last night was snazzy too.***

Mar 13, 2010, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Would you rather have Sidney Lowe as your coach? no but ]

Could have said, 'get over it and Go Tigers!'

Mar 13, 2010, 12:30 PM

I would have agreed with that one too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right--I could've said that.

Mar 13, 2010, 1:19 PM

But I was an English major, and we can't shut up.

That kind of logic, reason, and good common sense is NOT

Mar 13, 2010, 12:48 PM

acceptable here.

Point.

The success of this team comes down to one thing

Mar 13, 2010, 1:27 PM

Winning an NCAA tournament game. That was the primary goal last year, and it's the primary goal this year. I'm not very upset about losing in the ACC tournament. I will be very upset if they lose in the first round of the NCAA's again. And other than Roy and Krzyzewski, there isn't a coach in the ACC I would want over OP.

I didn't realize that winning an NCAA game was the

Mar 13, 2010, 2:07 PM

definition of a successful year.

Considering the early ACC exit this year....

Mar 13, 2010, 2:09 PM

...I think it's a fair measurement for this season.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Mar 13, 2010, 1:31 PM

that is one of the best posts I have ever read on here...

Mar 13, 2010, 1:58 PM

nice job and you are exactly right

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Outstanding post! Articulate, intelligent, and spot on!***

Mar 13, 2010, 2:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Would you rather have Sidney Lowe as your coach?

Mar 13, 2010, 2:27 PM

Nicely said!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the NCAA invites Clemson, the blood to be spilled in...

Mar 13, 2010, 2:51 PM

...that 1st round Clemson game will be a violent visual that minors should not be subjected to.

Watching a Division II school that doesn't have a "Hey, I'm just glad to be here" attitude, but is looking to spray jet fuel on opponents and light them up with a sparkler, flame this Clemson team will be something I don't want to watch.

When you're playing as badly as Clemson has in their last three games, it is easy to see what lies ahead of them if they show up on the court of an NCAA Tournament 1st round court.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re: If the NCAA invites Clemson, the blood to be spilled in...

Mar 13, 2010, 2:52 PM

Change your channel and watch ballet or something

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. All good coaches, but I'll keep OP, thanks for asking.***

Mar 13, 2010, 2:58 PM

Baby steps..

Mar 13, 2010, 6:02 PM

gotta crawl before you walk to build a LASTING program..

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic