Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nice OP story from the PC this a m...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,204

Nice OP story from the PC this a m...

Mar 10, 2010, 7:23 AM

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/mar/10/defying-expectations/

CLEMSON -- Gerald Purnell says if you know his older brother, if you know the man behind the stoic exterior at all, you know the idea of impossibility fails to resonate.

Everywhere Oliver Purnell has been, he's heard he couldn't win, yet he does.

In his seventh season as Clemson's head coach, Purnell leads the Tigers into this week's Atlantic Coast Conference basketball tournament coming off their third straight winning season in ACC play and fourth straight 20-win season. Both marks are program firsts.

Growing up

Clemson coach Oliver Purnell

Born in 1953, Purnell was raised in a 600-square-foot home without indoor plumbing in the segregated town of Berlin (population 3,000) on Maryland's eastern shore, known for its coastal resorts and fishing hamlets.

The austere home produced Oliver, a Division I basketball coach, and Gerald, Maryland's first African-American district judge. Their sister, Angela Wickham, has been a housing director, and their brother Dwayne, the youngest, was a school administrator before his death last year.

The individual successes are remarkable considering the overt racism and opportunity gap of the 1960s.

The credit goes to a strong-willed, loving mother and father who had a simple recipe: homework, church and discipline.

"My parents were uncompromising about certain things: you were going to get good grades, go to church every Sunday and you were going to do well at everything you did," Oliver Purnell said. "Growing up in the civil rights age, you could easily use discrimination as an excuse, but they made it clear that it is not an excuse. You have to be better."

The Purnells wanted better for their kids.

Their father, Oliver Sr., worked as a third-shift truck driver and chicken catcher. Their mother, Phyllis, juggled multiple jobs.

Oliver -- a Boy Scout and honor student -- and Gerald admired the hard work.

But they wanted something different.

"Growing up the way we did," Gerald Purnell said, "it has a lot to do with where we are today. I think if you change a person's experiences, their environment, you get different results.

"You are a sum of your experiences."

First major challenge

For the Purnells, there was no safety net, but there was hope.

The Civil Rights Act passed in 1964. Martin Luther King marched from Selma to Montgomery in 1965. Integration was sweeping the country.

Oliver's friend, Larry Waples, had been the first African-American to integrate Decatur High School in 1964. As seventh grader in 1965, Oliver Purnell had a choice to make: attend the all-black high school across town or join a half-dozen other classmates and integrate for access to the best teachers, best books -- and equality.

Purnell and his friend Pat Henry, an artist who shares Purnell's passion for cooking, opted to take on their first major challenge.

"All of the circumstances of life came together at that particular time," Henry said. "We were at the right place and it is was the right time to go through this tunnel."

Phyllis Purnell, always trying to immerse her children in other cultures, supported the decision. But on that first day, that late summer day in 1965, she waited anxiously around the phone, hoping it wouldn't ring.

"No one had gone through that before," Phyllis said. "That was really tough. Parents were afraid for them, afraid they wouldn't be up to it. Afraid some might fail.

"They just went on with it."

There were racial slurs.

There were cold shoulders.

But Purnell knew it was an opportunity and calls it a "watershed" moment in his life.

"It was scary," Oliver Purnell said. "You were going from an environment you were totally comfortable with to an environment that was totally foreign."

Albin "Hondo" Handy, a friend and high school teammate of Purnell's, said they all battled doubt.

"I think we probably all said 'Look, can we do it? Or can't we?' " Handy said. "I went home and said to my mom 'I don't know.' And she said 'I know, but you made that decision and that is where you are going to school.' "

Phyllis said this is when Oliver began to show signs of what was to come.

"When the area first started (integrating), kids weren't too welcome in town, at the library or outside the community," she said. "But Oliver would go. He would just go."

Purnell was a leader on the high school basketball court, the game he learned on the dirt courts of Berlin.

It was Purnell who brought the ball up and placed the team in its offense.

"Oliver's demeanor was just different," Henry said. "He wasn't prone to extremes as far as emotion.

"He's gained a lot of admirers. They cannot get over his composure as a coach. You know how Gary Williams is."

Purnell was always composed.

He was always serious, his mother said.

He helped lead the school to three straight state championship appearances, a run that united the town. White kids that had once tossed racial slurs befriended Purnell and came to respect what he and the others that integrated had done.

"I got to know people in a different way and they got to know me in a different way," Purnell said. "It brought a lot of people together who were apprehensive about each other. You discovered we are not a whole lot different.

"We all like to win."

Purnell was among the first to integrate, the first to unite, and the first of his family to attend college.

Coaching roots

Purnell starred and won at Old Dominion just as he had in high school. He was the captain and co-MVP of the 1975 team that won the Division II national title.

His dream was to play in the NBA, and Purnell was drafted that spring by Milwaukee in the sixth round. He was cut in camp, and had a choice to make: chase the pro game to Europe or coach.

Purnell joined the Old Dominion staff as a grad assistant that fall and became an assistant coach in 1977, a position he kept until he joined the Maryland staff as an assistant coach in 1985 at the end of the Lefty Driesell era.

In 1986, Purnell dealt with further adversity when former Maryland star Len Bias died of a drug overdose after being selected with the second overall pick by the Boston Celtics.

More challenges awaited at his first head position at Radford in 1988-89. The program hadn't had a 20-win season in a decade, until Oliver Purnell led Radford to a 22-7 record in 1990-91.

He was then offered to coach his alma mater, leading Old Dominion to the postseason three consecutive seasons.

Dayton was next.

After an 0-12 mark in league play in his first season, Purnell led the Flyers to five postseason appearances in six years from 1998 to 2003. After a 24-6 season in 2003, Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips came calling. It was another watershed moment for Purnell, a gig in the ACC, the conference he had grown up following.

He inherited a Clemson program that had endured five losing seasons in a row.

Clemson hasn't had a losing season since 2003-04.

Watershed moment

In November 2008, Oliver Purnell watched the first African-American be elected President of the United States. He watched with his wife, his high school sweetheart with whom he's raised two daughters, from the living room of their palatial home that overlooks Lake Keowee.

Now, that was impossible, he thought. Something he thought he'd never witness.

"We were taken by the enormity of the moment," Purnell said. "It was another watershed moment."

Outside his office on campus is a framed front page of The Greenville News with photos of Obama and Purnell stripped across the top. The photos tease to separate stories of moderate importance inside, but to Purnell the page signified just how far he had had come -- how far the country had come.

After all, he had been the first African-American head coach at all three of his stops.

"I sit around sometimes and I am amazed where I came from and where I am now," Purnell said, "but not for a long period of time."

He can't reflect for long. There is still work to be done -- work critics say is impossible.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Wow, that is an amazing story. I really believe that

Mar 10, 2010, 7:56 AM

once he gets that first NCAA Tourney win and all the pressure is gone from the players the floodgates could open. I hope it's this year, but if not our future looks very, very bright.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Nice OP story from the PC this a m...

Mar 10, 2010, 8:04 AM

I was an OP fan long before I read that commentary. I grew up in those days as well and for that reason I can appreciate him even more. As a young high schooler, there was a black kid in my hometown (his first name was Clemson) who was a fabulous basketball player at Bethune High. I remember playing in a game with him in the backyard of a friends house and his mother made Clemson leave the yard for the obvious reason. I never forget that. Op has already performed a 'miracle' at my university in the right way and has gained the respect of all within the ACC. I never thought that I would see that day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

his dad was a chicken catcher- figures***

Mar 10, 2010, 8:23 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2010, 8:46 AM

What an inspirational story! It's hard to believe that just a short time ago things were so different. We've come a long way, and that comes from a very conservative white guy. I'm very proud of OP. He has done so much for Clemson, and he is setting a great example for our players, student body and fans. Good luck OP, and may God Bless you. We already have been.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was awesome right up to Obamer

Mar 10, 2010, 9:04 AM

I understand the importance of breaking that glass ceiling for african americans, but I don't understand someone like OP admiring the policies of a man like Obama. He did not say in this article he liked his policies I know, but I hope the emotion of Obama's color soon fades and people of all colors start judging him by his character and not the color of his skin.

OP is awesome though, and I would love to just sit and listen to him about his life during those days.

No one asked and no one cares about your politics***

Mar 10, 2010, 9:47 AM

BO ultimately will be judged by the content of his character

Mar 10, 2010, 10:07 AM [ in reply to It was awesome right up to Obamer ]

and not by the color of his skin. But you're turning a blind eye if you don't recognize his election as a "watershed" moment - not only for the black community, but for all of us.

And you're right - the article never said anythng about OPs opinion of BOs policies.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wouldn't like Obama if he was greenback green.***

Mar 10, 2010, 1:33 PM [ in reply to It was awesome right up to Obamer ]

Instead of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, many in the

Mar 10, 2010, 9:35 AM

black community would be much better served to use OPs family as role models.

"Growing up in the civil rights age, you could easily use discrimination as an excuse, but they made it clear that it is not an excuse. You have to be better."

He's a great man.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2010, 2:02 PM

At age 55 I remember the days he talked about well.
I am a conservative white guy, self described as a short fat bald-headed redneck.(as a joke)
Having said that OP has more of my respect than most other people who outwardly resemble me.
Anyone who thinks race has anything to do with intelligence or work ethic needs to look a little closer at themselves.

I can only say "WELL DONE OP".

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,204
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic