Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am so sick of so called fans wanting Purnell fired, please
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

I am so sick of so called fans wanting Purnell fired, please

Feb 25, 2010, 7:10 PM

tell me who else at Clemson has done what he has done? He is about to win 20 games 4 straight years and that streak probably won't end while he is here,cause we have a great class coming in. Noel Johnson is going to be a star and Devin Booker is going to be another Trevor and Jennings will be good,he didn't play the greatest talent in school. He has good skills. For you people to expect Purnell to come right in to a bottom dweller school in BBall to win the ACC in just a few years, you're crazy. He is having to build a program. That takes time. But he has us winning 20 out of the box. Get a clue people.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you know they are fans and not 12 year olds?***

Feb 25, 2010, 7:14 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do you know they are fans and not 12 year olds?***

Feb 25, 2010, 8:24 PM

Notice I said SO CALLED?

the reason why they want him fired is that he is not winning

Feb 25, 2010, 7:25 PM

like he should. Yeah he can win some games but his teams are too much like CTB teams. You know there is going to be a let down and always wonder where it is going to happen. It has been like that since he got here. I think that is why peopple want him gone. If his teams don't start to change that then I believe there needs to be a change. Why continue to waste more time and money with someone who is producing the same way CTB did. Not sayin that it is going to continue but if it does then he needs to go.

Re: the reason why they want him fired is that he is not winning

Feb 25, 2010, 7:32 PM

yeah and he is not the one throwing
the ball out of bounds when no one is looking or letting someone just take it out of there hands.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

What I am getting at is it his still some of his fault

Feb 25, 2010, 7:34 PM

he coaches...player's not disciplined.

It also wasn't CTB making all the mistakes on the football field either. However, it was his coaching that lost him his job. Same thing with OP

If our basketball history

Feb 25, 2010, 7:40 PM [ in reply to the reason why they want him fired is that he is not winning ]

was anything like our football history Purnell would be in trouble because his teams do in fact remind me of Bowden. But the fact that these are the best years in Clemson basketball history give the man a pass in my book.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Just livin the college dream 2007-2011!

No they are not. The Rick Barnes years were the best

Feb 25, 2010, 7:46 PM

Point Blank. During his years we had our highest rankings and most wins ever.

Rick Barnes is a non-factor! the dooshe QUIT on us.***

Feb 25, 2010, 7:54 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "glory years" of Rick Barnes

Feb 25, 2010, 7:58 PM [ in reply to No they are not. The Rick Barnes years were the best ]

lasted only 3 years with his best year being 23-10 which was worse than Oliver's last 3 years of 25-11, 24-10, and 23-9.... Barnes took us to the tournament 3 times and left us with nothing. Oliver is not leaving us and his future is still bright here at Clemson. Oliver took us to the ACCCG, Barnes' best year in the conference was 9-7.

To say the Barnes era was better than what Oliver's years point blank is a stretch.

Barnes won 20 games at Clemson 1 time, Oliver has already done it 3 times.

Message was edited by: clemsonpm07®

Re: If our basketball history

Feb 25, 2010, 8:26 PM [ in reply to If our basketball history ]

Exactly

big difference between losing a game in ACC bball and

Feb 25, 2010, 7:46 PM [ in reply to the reason why they want him fired is that he is not winning ]

in ACC fball

not a diff. it's the same. look at how the teams play.***

Feb 25, 2010, 7:47 PM

thats like saying its as easy to win a football

Feb 25, 2010, 8:06 PM

game in the SEC as it is to win a basketball game in the SEC

Re: not a diff. it's the same. look at how the teams play.***

Feb 25, 2010, 8:27 PM [ in reply to not a diff. it's the same. look at how the teams play.*** ]

You're a moron.

Re: big difference between losing a game in ACC bball and

Feb 25, 2010, 8:27 PM [ in reply to big difference between losing a game in ACC bball and ]

So true +1

We'll cross that bridge when we git to it.

Feb 25, 2010, 8:02 PM [ in reply to the reason why they want him fired is that he is not winning ]

He gets better every year! What if you were held to that account?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i actually am my friend.***

Feb 25, 2010, 8:06 PM

Re: i actually am my friend.***

Feb 25, 2010, 8:29 PM

Well you're so failing.

I keep you safe don't I? you're able to wake up every

Feb 25, 2010, 8:36 PM

morning and be free, right? Guess I am not failing.

Feb 25, 2010, 8:25 PM [ in reply to the reason why they want him fired is that he is not winning ]

Yeah cause Clemson BBall has been so dominate in the past. Get a clue.

Re: the reason why they want him fired is that he is not win

Feb 25, 2010, 8:56 PM [ in reply to the reason why they want him fired is that he is not winning ]

This is a joke, right? OP is absolutely the best thing that has ever happened to CU BB!

Go back and look at Bobby Roberts, Tates Locke, Larry Schyatt, Foster, et al. Purnell has put Clemson in the top half of the ACC which is quite an achievement.

In my opinion they ought to rename Littlejohn to Purnell Arena!

Let's hold off a couple more years on that one.***

Feb 25, 2010, 9:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2010, 9:52 PM [ in reply to the reason why they want him fired is that he is not winning ]

You are a complete idiot!!!

thanks***

Feb 25, 2010, 9:54 PM

This group of seniors = Winningest Class in Clemson history

Feb 25, 2010, 8:32 PM

Which means that OP has had the most successful 4 year run than any coach in Clemson history.

most wins does not equal most success, TB took us to more

Feb 25, 2010, 11:57 PM

consecutive bowl games but going to a bowl is no big deal now and they were crappy bowls and he almost always lost to inferior teams.

If TB had led us to our winningest four-year stretch in the

Feb 26, 2010, 12:26 AM

history of our program, people would have tried to name the stadium after him. Purnell does it in basketball, and our stupid "fans" complain that we are too inconsistent, blow big leads, etc. Amazing.

Throw our basketball history out the window. We're still in a position to be proud of - one most other programs would kill for. They must not realize that we are the third-most successful ACC team over the past few seasons in terms of wins. Who is ahead of us? Duke and UNC. That's it. Pretty good company if you ask me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

acc has been weak, BC and VT have more ACC wins since

Feb 26, 2010, 4:38 AM

joining the conference than we do with less talent.

We DO blow big leads! 2x just this year, Illinois & MD.

We didn't even show up vs. Duke x2 or VT. BC & VT are FAR better coached teams!

We have lost in the tourney so far under OP, and OP has NEVER won an NCAA tourney game at ANY school. While several coaches have won them at Clemson.

Jesus, you orange tint glass wearers are in denial. YES OP has done good things, he's given credit for that, and I'm NOT taking that away from him, but if the glass is half full it's also half empty! OP is not perfect, and our team has a LOT of improving to do. We have a long ways to go. You think TDP ONLY sees the positive? You think there isn't negative to evaluate and try to improve on? You people act so stupid and get your over-sensitive panties in a wad over anyone pointing out obvious issues we have yet to overcome, which are part of OP's job!

Im not happy with how the basketball team is going

Feb 25, 2010, 8:36 PM

though I do not want Purnell fired. I do think we have lost to good teams this year (most are tourney teams). The problem is the games like last night and against Illinois where we should win the game and then we don't. It happens to often. If we don't have two NCAA tourney wins after next year we need to find someone else.

How bout the come from behind victories OP has had?

Feb 25, 2010, 8:48 PM

Do those go out the window because in the last game played we lost a lead to an NCAA Tourney team on the road?

hasn't had many of them***

Feb 25, 2010, 8:51 PM

Yeah only the largest in school history...***

Feb 25, 2010, 8:58 PM

His are few and far between

Feb 25, 2010, 9:09 PM

and just because he might have the biggest comeback ever doesn't justify him keeping his job for a long time. Darren Horn doesn't deserve to keep his job for 10 years with no tourney wins because they beat Kentucky.

Ok where to begin with this....

Feb 25, 2010, 9:17 PM

First off when you win the majority of your games and lead in the majority of your games you have more chances to lose in comback fashion than win in comeback fashion.

Darren Horn hasn't lead his team to 3 straight 20+ win seasons (1 win away from 4 straight)....

Darren Horn hasn't led his team to the greatest number of wins in a single season in school history....

Darren Horn hasn't won more conference road games than any coach in school history....

Darren Horn hasn't taken his school to only the second conference tournament championship game in school history (57 years of history).....

Darren Horn hasn't coached his team in top 10 showdowns at home on national TV.....

Darren Horn hasn't beaten his in state rival 6 consecutive years.....

But just for fun both Oliver and Darren Horn have beaten number 1 teams....

If Darren Horn were to do all of what I just listed do you think he deserves to be there for the 10 years you are talking about?

how many leads has OP let slip away and we lost?

Feb 25, 2010, 9:19 PM

The icing onthe cake for me with himwas the 20 point lead we lost to ILLINOIS... and guess what?? We LOST THE GAME!! There is no excuse for that!!!!!!!!!

how many big leads have OP's teams overcome and

Feb 25, 2010, 9:22 PM

come back to win the game?

Our team never gives up under OP..

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

are you serious? I think that is why we lost last night.

Feb 25, 2010, 9:23 PM

If they never gave up they would attack when they smell blood. Instead we play not to lose and guess what.... lose!!!!

are you a Clemson fan?

Feb 25, 2010, 9:27 PM

I smell coot.

Orange Googlers Unite

yeah typical poster... as soon as someone doesn't

Feb 25, 2010, 9:29 PM

agree with you... you call them a coot.

Re: yeah typical poster... as soon as someone doesn't

Feb 25, 2010, 9:30 PM

I can't recall you ever posting anything positive. What do you think of the direction of the football program?

I actually like Dabo. I think he is a good fit.***

Feb 25, 2010, 9:31 PM

Re: I actually like Dabo. I think he is a good fit.***

Feb 25, 2010, 9:33 PM

So you are telling me you weren't on here calling for his head after he lost to GT in the ACCCG? After every basketball loss we've had this year I have seen you on here blasting Purnell.

actually no i wasn't***

Feb 25, 2010, 9:34 PM

Re: actually no i wasn't***

Feb 25, 2010, 9:39 PM

I read some of your posts and I don't think you are a coot, but you definitely did call for Steele or Dabo to be fired after the ACCCG.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=781582&messageID=8443030#8443030

Why the change of heart on Dabo?

Prolly cuz I was mad, however it would be dumb

Feb 25, 2010, 9:50 PM

to fire him. Now OP...he's been here awhile and should have all the stupid stuff worked out.

Re: yeah typical poster... as soon as someone doesn't

Feb 25, 2010, 9:31 PM [ in reply to yeah typical poster... as soon as someone doesn't ]

and as soon as a coot or "faux fan' gets flushed, thats the first thing they say too

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You I'd call an idiot....*****

Feb 25, 2010, 9:33 PM [ in reply to yeah typical poster... as soon as someone doesn't ]

Orange Googlers Unite

This is getting freaking ridiculous, i mean the guy has made

Feb 25, 2010, 9:31 PM [ in reply to are you serious? I think that is why we lost last night. ]

us into a contender in the acc every year. We have losing records against just about every school in the acc. Our overall record is horrible. We're basically the usuck of the sec in football. And we get a coach that comes in and gets us to the ncaa's, wins 20 a year, actually gets some recognition for our basketball program, and you're gonna get on here and have the nerve to talk about firing him. I dont care what you say, you're not a clemson fan, your a fake.

Excellent Post!!***

Feb 25, 2010, 9:55 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

have to win 24 games now to be equivalent to 20 wins in past

Feb 25, 2010, 11:10 PM [ in reply to This is getting freaking ridiculous, i mean the guy has made ]

winnin 20 a year now when we play 30 games is nothing. it used to be 20 out of 25 folks. equivalanet now would be winning 24 in regular season,.

When you win most of your games

Feb 25, 2010, 9:23 PM [ in reply to how many leads has OP let slip away and we lost? ]

which oliver has,

That means you are leading in most of your games. That gives you more chances to blow a lead than to come from behind....

Here are the blown leads I can think of,

Last year vs. FSU 19 points
NCAA tourny vs. villanova 18 points
This year vs. Illinois 23 points
This year early at Maryland 15 points

agreed!!!***

Feb 25, 2010, 9:18 PM [ in reply to His are few and far between ]

Re: hasn't had many of them***

Feb 25, 2010, 11:13 PM [ in reply to hasn't had many of them*** ]

He has won 20 + 4 straight years and yes I am counting this year. Go pull for someone else.

Re: Im not happy with how the basketball team is going

Feb 25, 2010, 11:12 PM [ in reply to Im not happy with how the basketball team is going ]

Yeah lets go back to the NIT every year.

I would prefer what we are doing now over the NIT, but

Feb 25, 2010, 11:51 PM

if Purnell can't get us past the first or second round of th NCAA tourney year after year are we going to keep him because "oh well we sucked before so this is great" or are we going to take a step and become better and try to win championships? I am not content with where we are in basketball, a first or second round NCAA team does not cut it. If Purnell continues this trend he should not be the coach of Clemson for the same reasons Bowden is not the coach anymore. I don't want him fired now or after the season, but being better than we used to be is a ###### excuse to keep someone around long term.

yeah what he said!!!!!!!***

Feb 26, 2010, 12:06 AM

Do NOT want OP fired, but DO want him to .........

Feb 26, 2010, 4:10 AM

1. Stop being so stubborn and thinking the press works against everybody.

2. Learn how to make adjustments. We routinely get outplayed in the 2nd half.

3. Hire an experienced assistant, maybe an older guy, ex-head coach type that no longer wants to be a head coach, that has a PROVEN & EFFECTIVE half-court offensive philosophy. Thus, on nights when the press isn't working, or our outside shooting isn't hot, we can still generate efficiency on offense and not have our typical 4 to 8 minute scoring droughts.

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic