Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Analysis: Lattimore - A Player and Today's Spectacle
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Analysis: Lattimore - A Player and Today's Spectacle

Feb 2, 2010, 9:12 PM

The Clemson family should not worry about USC garnering Marcus Lattimore. It is a great pickup for them. But, it is still South Carolina football and one player is not going to change history down there.

Marcus Lattimore is a great high school player and, had he signed with Clemson, we would be very happy. But he didn't - but neither did Derek Watson or Demetris Summers. We survived those USC pickups - big time!

What about today? IMO, the spectacle at the church was shamless and shameful theater. The spectacle of mouth-watering adults hanging on Lattimore's every word was not worthy of them. The use of Stephen Davis as Lattimore's prop and shil was in exceptionally shameful and classless taste. Stephen Davis is a Spartanburg native and was a star football player at Auburn University. What did Lattimore have Davis do? He had him carry the bag with the Auburn and South Carolina hats! If Stephen Davis was used by Lattimore and surprised, that is one thing and shows more the crassness of the act. If Davis was party to Lattimore's theater, then shame on him. If that is the case, the Auburn University family should disown him for traitorous conduct.

One breathless media guy, perhaps Kornblut, asked Lattimore if he was going to make any phone calls to other players and have them join him at USC. What a set-up! Predictably, Lattimore said he would contact Justin Parker. This was shameful, shameless theater at its best!

Finally, the use of a church for such self-aggrandizement was over the top. Lattimore, his family and his pastor should revisit Matt:21:12, Mark 11:15, Luke 19:45 and John 2:13-16. This spectacle, this theater, turned that church into a market - the marketing of a high school football player.

South Carolina has gained a potentially great running back. That so, Auburn University lost absolutely nothing by the deed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would you expect anything less from kornbutt. he is a UCS

Feb 2, 2010, 9:19 PM

shill - at best.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And he lied... funniest moment at his presser when he

Feb 2, 2010, 9:21 PM

talked about Spurrier and running the football. Takes place about 3:40.

http://www.wltx.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=64583884001#/Recent+Videos/Marcus+Lattimore+Explains+Why+He%27s+a+Gamecock/51296686001/51325932001/64583888001

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still not convinced

Feb 2, 2010, 9:31 PM

that Lattimore is really that good. Just saw him once this year in a big game and all he did was fumble the ball 3 times. Compared to Stephen Davis in high school, I only saw him play once too, but he stood out a man among boys. Time will tell.

He'll be as good as the OL... like most RBs I guess.***

Feb 2, 2010, 9:39 PM

Really. "All he did" in that big game was fumble 3 times?

Feb 2, 2010, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Still not convinced ]

I watched that one big game where he fumbled three times and I thought I saw him run for 118 yards, catch 8 passes for 94 yards and score two touchdowns.

Prolly not a good idea to compare high school players you saw play a grand total of one time apiece.

Re: Analysis: Lattimore - A Player and Today's Spectacle

Feb 2, 2010, 9:47 PM

Wow. The more people protest the more it must have upset them. Get over it. Clemson has good recruits too. Give it a rest.

LMAO...Lord man, get over it.

Feb 2, 2010, 9:57 PM

It truly is not that big of a deal, lol.

No, he's right on all points. Of course, you're a fan of a

Feb 2, 2010, 10:04 PM

school who's typical fan has no shame or scruples, so of course you wouldn't understand.

What a ridiculous, unnecessary, self-serving circus that was. And to think it was all done under the guise of a church setting, makes it even more distasteful.

disagree

Feb 2, 2010, 10:08 PM

I think using Stephen Davis was a good idea. Stephen wouldn't allow himself to be used in a classless way.

Nothing wrong with having it at his church. His church was important to him and there was nothing wrong with having it there.

You don't know Stephen Davis from Jesus Christ......

Feb 2, 2010, 10:11 PM

And speaking of Jesus, a church complete with a mini-sermon from the pastor was absolutely no place for a circus like that today.

Of course you'll disagree. That's because you're one of the fans I already mentioned.

Re: You don't know Stephen Davis from Jesus Christ......

Feb 2, 2010, 10:17 PM

I don't know Stephen personally. But I've followed him over the years pretty closely - at least enough to automatically assume the worst about him without any reason.

I think for Marcus- church was the best place for him. That's all that matters.

Re: You don't know Stephen Davis from Jesus Christ......

Feb 2, 2010, 10:17 PM

meant - "at least enough to not automatically.....:"

LOL. What a bunch of rationalizing bologna.***

Feb 2, 2010, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: You don't know Stephen Davis from Jesus Christ...... ]

Sorry

Feb 2, 2010, 11:00 PM

I personally don't go around thinking the worst about someone based on how the picked a college at their church.

But it's good you do. That's ok. If it fits you, it fits.

I didn't say anything bad about anyone.

Feb 2, 2010, 11:09 PM

Stop making things up.

I simply pointed out you have absolutely no clue about Stephen Davis, which you don't, and the circus at the church today was extremely distasteful. Any decent person not in denial, like you, would be embarrassed.

Keep up the hilarious rationalizations though.

Re: I didn't say anything bad about anyone.

Feb 2, 2010, 11:15 PM

So let's see- it was "self serving" (aka- selfish) and "distasteful" (classless) - but you "didn't say anything bad about anyone."

Sure thing.

(I am not sure who it was distasteful to since he wasn't doing it for you or for anyone but his family)

Um, you were talking about Davis. But tell me,

Feb 2, 2010, 11:35 PM

..is water wet?

The pastor said, at the altar no less, "we're here to honor Marcus"...

Why are grown people worshiping an 18 year old at the altar of a church??.. they made a show out of it, an act, complete with rehearsed scenes.. that's distasteful and tactless.

It's a kid committing to play football for crying out loud. To say it was a self-serving show is one thing, but to put on the play at an altar of a church is an absolute absurdity.

And if you think pulling Stephen Davis into the silly fray, pulling the tired two-hat trick, and having others speak about "Marcus" at the altar wasn't self-serving, then you're more in denial than your post history already shows.

You and I have clearly different ideas of what it means "to speak bad about people". If water is wet, then water is wet. The show spoke for itself. The circus at the church was unnecessary, scripted, out of place, overly dramatic, and exaggerated nonsense.

As the original poster said, it was shameless theater. No deluded coot rationalization can change that.

Re: No, he's right on all points. Of course, you're a fan of a

Feb 3, 2010, 11:09 AM [ in reply to No, he's right on all points. Of course, you're a fan of a ]

LMAO, watching grown men quote scripture and try to somehow apply it to an 18 year old man's press conference as somehow indicative of his moral character is pretty humorous. The only thing more humorous is watching your agreement and indignation about it. Thanks for the laugh.

It's been a huge deal on here

Feb 2, 2010, 10:01 PM

a ton of deleted posts today. Mods been busy.

Why are people so hurt over this?

Feb 2, 2010, 11:11 PM

I'm guessing Davis knew EXACTLY what he was doing, helping a SC native, another possible star running back, follow his dreams. I doubt he was in this for just the transfer, no doubt there had been enough contact between the two for him to want to be a part of Lattimores choice. Had he done the same thing between USC and Clemson, and chosen Clemson, no one would have a problem.

Get over it, 18 year olds play this game every year.

Of course Davis knew

Feb 2, 2010, 11:16 PM

about it.

There was nothing wrong with it- and he certainly wasn't disrespectful to anyone. He was very complimentary about Auburn.

What Stephen said about it

Feb 2, 2010, 11:18 PM

“(Stephen) reminded me to go with my gut feeling and my heart,” Lattimore said. “He knew when he went to Auburn that's where he was going because that is where his heart was.”

Davis said he was glad to help out Lattimore.

“(Marcus) asked me to do him a favor. I'll do it anytime for a guy that grew up in the same area as me,” Davis said. “I told him that if it is in his heart to go to Carolina, then do so. I didn't play a role in his decision. I just gave him advice.”

Source:
www.goupstate.com

Re: Of course Davis knew

Feb 2, 2010, 11:19 PM [ in reply to Of course Davis knew ]

good lord people, these are kids. let them have some fun. as long as they dont throw a hat on the floor and stomp on it as a certain coot did, what is the problem. afterall, these kids cant be near as mature as some of the idiots on this site.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorry but no Clemson recruit has pulled the two hat routine***

Feb 3, 2010, 12:36 AM [ in reply to Why are people so hurt over this? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody is "Hurt" Over This

Feb 3, 2010, 12:52 AM [ in reply to Why are people so hurt over this? ]

that I know of. Most of the comments are over the crassness of the spectacle. Suppose someday in the distant future a big time recruit is deciding between Clemson and USC or some other school -- and none other than C.J. Spiller hands him a Clemson hat and the kid puts it down and puts on the other school's hat. I cannot imagine a Clemson grad being part of such nonsense - but that's what Davis did yesterday. Wonder what Auburn thinks of Davis now?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like Lat is a good fit for those bunch of actors.***

Feb 3, 2010, 8:20 AM

I understand your point, but honestly....

Feb 3, 2010, 8:31 AM

are you really worried about it?

There is no way to predict the future...Lattimore may be the best RB to ever play, or he may be a complete bust. I'm betting it's somewhere in the middle...and given their recent history with "big name" RBs (Summers, Watson, etc) I wouldn't worry too much right now.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic