Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One Of Bowden's Best Decisions Since Coming To Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,925

One Of Bowden's Best Decisions Since Coming To Clemson

Jan 27, 2005, 11:53 AM

was the off season coaching changes! I was so proud of him, because I know it was the toughest decision he has had to make since he became a head coach, however it was necessary.

First off we had the momentum at the end of 03' but lost all of that in 04'. Can some of you imagine if we had not made the changes and it was august of next year? what kind of optimism could you really have after last year. Especially in the wake of this brutal schedule that we have. We needed to get momentum back and this was the best way to put some new life and energy into this program.

Secondly we needed some changes in style of play. we had become too predictable. once you have played against TB he is easier to figure out the next time. I dont know about you guys but I have seen every game in the TB era and I can almost tell you what play we are going to run in any given situation. TB had become so meticulous with the offense that he was trying the perfect play against every defense. sometimes you dont need the perfect play against that def. but rather some type of continuity and sync on offense sometimes a completion for 6 yards on 3rd and 8 can be good because we completed a pass and it keeps our players confidence up that they will get it next time. We never got continuity on offense last year.

Last but not least these changes will exert new found confidence in the players we have and in recruiting. I dont know about you, but I am looking forward to this up coming year with all of the changes in our offensive and defensive looks, than I was last year.

this year could be great....

go tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Post. I'm really excited about Spence.***

Jan 27, 2005, 11:59 AM

At this point, the hiring of Blackwell and Dabo...

Jan 27, 2005, 12:00 PM

would have to be considered his best decision. The dividends these two have paid cannot be fully understood. I like the recent hires too, and it will be interesting to if they pan out as well. Based on Bowden's track record, I am very encouraged.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: well I did say "one of"

Jan 27, 2005, 1:22 PM

and I agree they were great hires however that decision was not as crucial. this offseason has been a make or break for TB imo. hiring those guys was a wonderful decision that has benefited our program, im sure, in ways we will never know. This offseason was a turning point I think. either stick out out again having lost all of the momentum of 03' or do what he did.

now granted they might not turn out to be good assistants or good hires, but the decision to hire someone new is what I think was important for TB to do..

why don't we play at least a few snaps before coming

Jan 27, 2005, 12:05 PM

to that conclusion.

Oh go #### on yourself!

Jan 27, 2005, 12:20 PM

:)

I tend to reserve judgment on the success/failure of

Jan 27, 2005, 12:08 PM

coaching changes until they have proven it on the field. Yall's hiring of Blackwell was a great hire in all phases, especially recruiting, and Swinney also seems to be a very good hire. I have thought we made some pretty good hires in the past with previous successes at other schools, but they didn't pan out for one reason or another. And we have had those who had success and went elsewhere with a lot less success. It is difficult to know when you hire someone how they will turn out and past success doesn't seem to be a very reliable indicator sometimes. Head Coaches have it tough in making those decisions.

Your Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Re: Good post I agree***

Jan 27, 2005, 12:10 PM

Re: Good post I agree***

Jan 27, 2005, 12:17 PM

For you guys old enough to remember, Danny went out and hired Nelson Stokely, put in charge to install his hi-tech offense with Randy Anderson under center. After we went 1-3, we dropped the high tech and went back to what we were doing with a freshman named Rodney Williams, and finished 6-5. Also Red Parker came in with the veer offense, and we did very well in 1974, and 75 the offense went south because the whole team graduated after the 7-4 year. The point I am making is that I think they are great hires also, becaus eof the performance of last year, and the staus quo would have produced the status quo...but these guy have to have the guys they need, and looks like we are on the way with this years class. I htink we all know the success is not all coaching, but we have to have the personnel to run what they put in to run. Ocain never figured that out.

I hope he makes some player changes quicker then he did

Jan 27, 2005, 12:16 PM

last year. He made the statement "we need to get the playmakers on the field" after the Tech game and it seemed like he was slow doing so. I hope he doesn't let guys play because they are upperclassmen.

Re: I hope he makes some player changes quicker then he did

Jan 27, 2005, 12:34 PM

exactly i agree get your best players on the field no doubt

Re: I totally agree with that..

Jan 27, 2005, 1:17 PM [ in reply to I hope he makes some player changes quicker then he did ]

for those that say red shirting is always best, can you imagine redshirting adrian peterson?

man I say if the freshman is even a hair better then he is better and should get to play the most.. jmo

I think you are referring to RM and you are right, but it did no good him being there if we were still going to throw the ball 60 times a game.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,925
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic