Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The silent afternoon in Death Valley.......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

The silent afternoon in Death Valley.......

Nov 2, 2009, 6:53 PM

OK, not promoting a silent treatment for Sat night game but I can tell you in 77 when Notre Dame came to town it was awesome.

Best I can remember it went something like this....first of all Dan Devine, Notre Dame coach, whined all week prior to the game about Clemson's fan noise. There was no crowd noise penalty at that time. In the games at Death Valley, many opposing qbs would come to the line of scrimmage and hold their hands up in the air because the roar was so deafening they knew they couldn't operate, the officials would let em break and reline up.....the crowd just fed off of it and it got louder the next time they came to the ball. Several things usually happened, one they jumped offsides, two, they finally called and ran a play with no chance in hell of an audible at the line of scrimmage and three the official just shrugged at the qb like what the hell you want me to do ron? ....and play resumed.

Well, the crowd noise rule was soon initiated for all of college football, and the reason? Clemson University and their fans. Hell, we even caused NC State's qb to back off the line of scrimmage at a game IN RALEIGH. So you get the idea. You know back then, things happened, I don't know who came up with them, Central Spirit maybe. But from the thousands of balloons launched against Md, to poster cards in seats for the fans to display there were things happening. Modern time? Well now I guess we woohoo, please shoot me.

That afternoon in Death Valley, it had to be communicated to everyone that the silent treatment was in effect and it got done. During warmups, ND entered the field to an ovation from their fans, and they had quite a few. Clemson fans remained quiet, no boos. The Tigers entered the field for warmups to no cheers. The players knew what was happening so they didn't go into shock in case you were worried they thought no one loved them which I know some of you will. The band in pregame, marched through their routine with their instruments to their lips and the drummers with their sticks but no music, no drums were hit. The fans even stood and faked clapping but again no noise. I do believe obviously the national anthem was the first sounds from the band, soc it to em was started up, the Tigers gathered at the Hill and all hell began to break loose. It was an eerie day, so silent from so many people and then to culminate it with the roar as the band struck up soc it to em and Tiger Rag with the deafening roar was tremendous. So much for history, it was a great day....it was a time when Central Spirit coordinated things, fans listened and told others, and we made it happen....a simpler more wonderful time before the internet, before people bitched and whined about coaches/plays every game. If and when we bitched and moaned it was in tight groups amongst ourselves in a bar downtown, but when it came to the Tigers, everyone was all in, to borrow Dabo's cliche and it showed in Death Valley every Saturday.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent !!!!! Man you captured it !***

Nov 2, 2009, 7:05 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent !!!!! Man you captured it !

Nov 2, 2009, 7:06 PM

I was on The Hill that day .

That's the way us Silverbacks recall it...

Nov 2, 2009, 7:20 PM

...It saddens me a bit that the young folks don't seem to think it can be done again.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is because too many of them have no respect for anyone

Nov 2, 2009, 7:26 PM

else but themsleves. If they ahve a 70 year old behind them who cannot stand all game, and the youngster wants to stand, he turns around and says something smart alecky to the old timer. So Saturday, if this same fan wants to walk in and yell, he's going to do so. If he wants to wear purple to show his independence, he will do so. If he wants to leave at halftime, he will do so. Know what I mean.

Seems simple enough.***

Nov 2, 2009, 7:23 PM

Time when fans believed we could make a difference

Nov 2, 2009, 7:25 PM

Great job, you captured the day. We lead until a late touchdown by ND who went on to a national championship that year I think. Seems like Joe Montana threw to the tight end for the TD. I remember Devine running off the field after the game and gestured (not obscene) to the crowd.

Many aspects of game day at DV are better these days but especially this year there has not been an excitement. Rain has been a big part it.

Time to turn up the volume Tigers! It CAN make a difference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The silent afternoon in Death Valley.......

my uncle once told me that story. Great to hear it again makes me even more proud to be a tiger alumni. GO TIGERS!!!

PLEASE repost this...and send it to the SID & Central Spirit***

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2009, 7:28 PM

great post and story. only one bad thing about the big silent out for notre dame. WE LOST THE FREAKING GAME.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We took the eventual national champions and undefeated

Nov 3, 2009, 12:39 AM

Notre Dame team with Joe Montana at quarterback to the brink .... with Clemson leading until late in the game. Where you there? If not, quit pooing on it. I was. It was my first game and it was friggin' awesome .... win or lose. PERIOD.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you. This makes sense. Finally someone explained it

Nov 2, 2009, 7:34 PM

so I can understand what you guys are trying to accomplish. I will be in Death Valley getting my crazy on. I can't wait for this game guys... can't wait

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great ,Great, post. I was there You nailed it exactly!

Nov 2, 2009, 7:34 PM

I was also at Notre Dame in '79 when we repayed them for the loss at the Valley.

the game at ND was the first senior day they had lost ....

Nov 2, 2009, 8:19 PM

...in about 20 or 25 years

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great ,Great, post. I was there You nailed it exactly!

Nov 2, 2009, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Great ,Great, post. I was there You nailed it exactly! ]

So was I. That is an awesome memory.

that's the way i remember it. amazing that we were able to

Nov 2, 2009, 7:35 PM

pull something like that off with no internet, cell phones and the like.

Point for the "woohoo, please shoot me." comment

Nov 2, 2009, 7:45 PM

maybe we can silent that this week.

What the hell is woo-hoo anyway, i been

Nov 2, 2009, 8:38 PM

meaning to ask ???????

Re: What the hell is woo-hoo anyway, i been

Nov 2, 2009, 9:02 PM

This would be incredible to pull off. I'm all in with the silent out for pre game

And in the VaTech game couple years later

Nov 2, 2009, 7:59 PM

I'll never forget their QB tried to get the ref
to do something, and the ref pointed the QB back
towards the line of scrimage.

Corporations are people. So is Soylent Green.

Nov 2, 2009, 9:07 PM

How well I remember that day...and the balloon day...both were the most exciting at Death Valley that I can remember.
It is hard to tell how loud the fans were when the Tigers showed up at the rock and the band played...I had no voice after that game for three days!!!

Best post I've seen in a long time

Nov 2, 2009, 9:18 PM

I bet that was one fun day

Nov 2, 2009, 9:31 PM

I was 14 yo at the time and my 2 older brothers took me to that game. It is still one of my fondest memories.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2009, 9:37 PM

Can we pin this at the top so everyone knows what we are talking about when we say silent out

the nc state game was really special because the rule as

Nov 3, 2009, 12:45 AM

written said the home team would be penalized for excessive crowd noise. no one ever thought a visiting team could make such noise. rule was amended to whoever was responsible for noise.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the nc state game was really special because the rule as

Nov 3, 2009, 7:31 AM

Viva la silent out

chills***

Nov 3, 2009, 9:04 AM

I can't give you enough points!***

Nov 3, 2009, 9:16 AM

Re: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Nov 3, 2009, 9:25 AM

awesome post.

So let's get this going for Saturday. Someone has got to do it. Contact Central Spirit, let them know this is the role they need to play. Contact the band, get them on board. Make some signs on poster boards to explain what's going on, to post around and about the stadium. Spread the word online.

Nov 3, 2009, 9:46 AM

Some people need help with this concept still so bump

Awesome post! It was my first game at Death Valley

Nov 3, 2009, 10:34 AM

My dad and I had traveled to Clemson from VA for the game. I was a junior in HS and was trying to decide between VA Tech and Clemson. Needless to say, after experiencing this game while sitting on The Hill, my mind was made up. An experience I'll remember the rest of my life.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Awesome post! It was my first game at Death Valley

Nov 3, 2009, 12:24 PM

Screw it im still down for the silent out. And it appears other are as well.

Nov 3, 2009, 8:06 PM

Seems I have to bring this back yet again for the not so bright Clemson fans

you get a point for the bump***

Nov 3, 2009, 8:08 PM

I remember that game so well...

Nov 3, 2009, 8:29 PM

That was the game that made me understand Clemson football...

It was my first semester at Clemson. Having moved to SC late in my high school years, I didn't grow up with Clemson/Carolina, the ACC, etc. (I grew up in SEC-land). We had a fun season going at that point in '77 and I had enjoyed going to the games, but when my classmates started saying that we had a chance to upset ND, I was like, "hey guys, we've got a nice little team and all, but this is NOTRE DAME we're talking about here, and we'll be lucky to just stay close". I learned differently that day and came to understand that everything about Clemson is special. It sucked to lose, but the game was great and I feel privileged to have seen Joe Montana play in college. I'm sure he and Dwight Clark shared a lot of memories from that game a few years later...

ME TOO !***

Nov 3, 2009, 10:48 PM

Did we win?

Nov 3, 2009, 11:12 PM

Cause I could care less if we do not win. Say it is pulled off to that magnitude on Saturday and we lose. Who cares? I will not be bragging to my future grandkids about it.

ignant***

Nov 3, 2009, 11:24 PM

bump***

Nov 3, 2009, 11:20 PM

Re: bump***

Nov 3, 2009, 11:26 PM

what does "bump" mean in this situation ?

Re: bump***

Nov 4, 2009, 1:39 AM

bumpty bump bump. This one should stay alive all week. :)

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic