Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Opinions on Brad Scott . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,471

Opinions on Brad Scott . .

Jun 29, 2009, 2:06 AM

I would like to hear the opinions of the posters on this board of Brad Scott.

I'm just curious because I've been in a pissing match with a couple of posters below regarding the subject. I feel that Coach Scott is a very good OL coach and have heard from many knowledgeable sources that he is highly respected for his abilities among his peers.

I will be the first to admit that I have been quite dissapointed with our OL play for some time. However I place a great deal of the blame on former OC's, injuries, and a failure of the assigned recruiters to bring in top notch OL talent.

Some who do not realize the hierachy of the program feel that if a particular portion of the team is not successful, it falls squarely on that particular position coach. That is often not the case. Aside from when TB's brother in law was in charge of TE's, I feel that the problems have wrongfully been placed on position coaches.

Some say our OL hasn't been tough in years past, and from what I have learned from watching, in addtion to speaking candidly with coaches both from both our program and from opponents, that is correct. This may have had some attribution to the injury problem that we've had. I can tell you however, that this had little or nothing to do with Coach Scott. It has been due more to our recent OC.

I can also tell you that recent additions to our staff have brought this to the attention of the staff holdovers and it is being addressed with a ferver. I look for a much tougher OL in the near future if not this season.

One thing that the casual observer doesn't realize is that the position coach is not the end all be all with regard to offering or recruiting a prospect. He may have input, but the prospect has to be okayed by the hierachy. In addition, although many linemen are okay'd for an offer by the position coach the coordinater and the HC, its up to the specific recruiter to reel in the orospect. Obviously, Coach Scott is not the recruiter for all linemen. I feel that he is a great recruiter but he can't bring them in by himself.

With regard to injuries, those who follow our program know what we've been up against in that aspect for several years. We have been killed with injuries for all but about one of the last five seasons. Aside from teaching toughness, its my opinion that these issues are out of a position coach's control.

Sorry to be so long, but I felt I had to respond to what I feel are poorly informed posters, and see what the average fan thinks. I'm certainly open to imformed opinions, but there have been few that I have read here.

Thanks and go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It remains to be seen IMnotsoHO

Jun 29, 2009, 3:04 AM

1. The O line last year sucked. However, the year before it was pretty good.
2. The schemes and 2 point stance were Spence's call
3. Obviously Dabo thinks he is doing OK.
4. Brad Scott is well respected in the state and has lots of inroads in recruiting. He is a solid asset to us in that regard.

I think he has a year or two to get the Oline turned around. I think he will be successful here or anywhere else should we fire him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Well let's review his time there (loooong)

Jun 29, 2009, 3:20 AM

First, fyi, in recruiting. You're right their is some veto power by other staff members, but NO offers go out without approval from the position coach. So if he was offered, he was approved by Scott.

His first year as OL coach, 2004, was rough. No doubts about it. But, we were starting a walk-on at center, a walk-on or true fresh at tackle, 2 rs sophs, and a rs jr. Not alot to go with. During that off season we inked Thomas Austin, who may be an AA this year and will certainly be drafted, maybe first day. We also signed Jamarcus Grant, who has been a bust, I think. We signed Humphries who is still a bit of a question mark after the injury and seems to have some attitude/character issues. However it should be noted that in his very limited time on the field in 2008 he played very well, and was the only OL on our team that could come close to playing with Mount Cody against Bama. We also signed Quentez Ruffin who left the program after a year. We also signed Corey Lambert, however he was a holdover from a 2004 class where most offers went out prior to Scott being named OL coach. In any event, he has certainly been a bust.

In 2005 our OL was much, much improved. Starting 3 rs jrs, a rs sr, and an experience soph. that all had a year of heavy playing time under their belt. Our run game improved dramatically. Some will heap the credit on James Davis, but as we saw in 2008 great backs don't equal a great running game. In the off season we signed Chris Hairston, who was a late pick up and will be all acc before he leaves here. Potential first day draft choice. Jamal Medlin has been an absolute bust and isn't even at OL anymore. I think it's clear now that we did not sign enough linemen in 2006.

In 2006 our OL was the best in the ACC. We were top 10 in the nation running the ball. We gave a bad QB lots of time. Here we were starting 4 RS srs and a 2 yr starting jr. I think it should be noted that this group was not overly talented, but experienced and TOUGH. I know toughness has been an issue, but with Nathan Bennet and the Frys it was never a problem. The loss of R. Fry in the GT game hurt, as it forced us to start a less experienced player and sliced into our rotation. Nathan Bennet was also battling a knee injury and was not 100% the 2nd half of the year. Fans were disappointed w this OL because of the preseason hype. But this was as good an OL as we have had in some time. This group put up 500 yards against BC, 300 yards rushing against GT, and delivered in the clutch against FSU and Wake. After the season we signed Mason Cloy, who by all accounts is very talented, and got a load of snaps in 2008, We also signed Wilson Norris who has been praised for his toughness and functional strength. May not be as talented as other young players and may not contribute much until late in his career. David Smith was praised as the most talented OL signee in 2007 and was slated to be a starter in 2008 but battled some nagging injuries throughout the year. Figures to be a major contributor out of the 2 deep in 2009.

2007 is where it gets interesting, right? IMO, Brad Scott deserves more credit for this OL. This was a patchwork OL that saw only 1 returning starter from 2006. It featured a bevvy of career role players who had been out recruited, but not overtaken due to their experience. Austin and Humphries played significant snaps, with Austin eventually starting at center. In all 4 srs started on this line, although only one had been a starter previously. This line struggled early in the year, although it played well enough to beat FSU in game one. It turned in very poor performances against GT and VT, as it seemed they were simply out talented (esp. against VT). This group got better as the season went on (a sign of good coaching) and by the end of the year we were ranked in the top 3 of the ACC in both running and passing offense. Struggled against a very talented and BIG line against both BC and Auburn. IMO, they got out talented in those matchups. In 2008 we signed Dalton Freeman, who may contribute heavily in 2009, Antoine McClain, who started in 2008 and figures to be a star on the OL in the years to come, Kenneth Page, who IMO was overrated and will not contribute until later in his career, and Matt Sanders, who IMO is just the opposite and will be a significant contributor, but probably not until 2010.

In 2008 we all knew the OL would struggle. We rolled into the Alabama game against a very talented front with 2 new starters on the OL, one being a freshman. A very early injury to Humphries forced another freshman into heavy playing time. It was all down hill from there. Injuries piled up and we started a different 5 every game until the FSU game, the first time we put the same starting 5 on the field the 2nd game in a row. The lowest point was against Wake Forest. We started 2 freshmen at tackle, a freshman at guard, and a rs sr at guard who had been a student coach earlier in the year because he didn't figure to get much playing time. In the 2nd half of the year, however, a combination of things happened. Players got healthier, experience began to kick in for younger linemen, and we changed offensive coordinators. Coach Scott immediately suggested the OL move back to the 3 point stance. This group played much better, albeit still not all that great, in the 2nd half of the year. They held their own against BC and their top 10 draft pick. They were in control against FSU until Hairston went down with an injury and Corey Lambert showed us all just how big of a bust he is, getting absolutely obliterated by a high pick in the 2009 draft. But the OL did go on to physically whip SC in a game we had to have. They then got whipped by Nebraska's "black shirt" DL, which was the strength of that team. In 2009 we signed JK Jay, who may not Red shirt this year, and highly ranked Brandon Thomas.

The 2009 season seems to shake out like this. We'll have 2 very reliable and talented veterans in Hairston and Austin, both future first day picks, IMO. You'll have an incredibly talented soph starting at guard with a year of significant action under his belt. A battle will rage between Mason Cloy and David Smith for the other guard spot, although I believe Cloy will win due to him logging more starts/snaps than Smith last year. With Humphries returning, we look to be very well set at Guard/Center. At tackle you've got Walker returning after seeing significant action last year, he no doubt should be improved. I do not believe Corey Lambert or J Grant will or should see much of the field in 2009. Lambert will play some in a back up role. I also believe JK will be a part of the rotation and recieve action. An injury at the tackle spot would be devastating. Most especially if it were to happen to Hairston. I believe if that happened you may see McClain move back out to tackle. He is better suited for guard but has the length to play tackle and is talented enough to hold his own. I would rely on him any day of the week before Corey Lambert. This group should be very much improved, but won't be dominant. Will be very good in the middle by the end of the year, look for major improvements along the OL as the year goes on and these young players get more experience and confidence.

On Brad Scott, I do believe he is a fine coach. He is very well respected by his peers, and if he left Clemson today he would find a job tomorrow. He is underrated as a recruiter, although I would question some of his evaluations. Clearly we have been hurt by the 2 major busts in 2005 and the bust in 2006. We also were hurt by the departure of Ruffin and undersigning in '06 but those things may have been out of Scott's control. Had we not had the busts we could have put more experienced and better players on the field in 2008. There is also something to be said for Spence's scheme contributing to the problems. The very first move this offensive staff after Spence's firing was to go back to a 3 pt stance and simplify the blocking schemes and carry less protections into games. I believe Spence expected too much mentally out of the young linemen and refused to empty out the box by stretching the defense, ironically bc he didn't feel the OL could protect long enough. Also the addition of Pearman should help exponentially.

That's my breakdown of it.

my eyes are bleeding***

Jun 29, 2009, 4:44 AM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Well thought-out post........Thanks***

Jun 29, 2009, 6:53 AM [ in reply to Well let's review his time there (loooong) ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well thought-out post........Thanks***

Jun 29, 2009, 7:10 AM

excellent post. Very well researched. Also, proves the point that no matter how great the HS stats are, every recruit is still a gamble. Some don't want or desire to work hard enough to excel, some don't really have what it takes when they get to college, just like some great college players can't make it in the NFL. Then there is the walk-on who busts his tail and becomes a star. A lot of it is between the ears of a player. Coaches can only do so much...
This really came to light with the 85 player scholarship limit

Re: Well let's review his time there (loooong)

Jun 29, 2009, 7:38 AM [ in reply to Well let's review his time there (loooong) ]

Avoid the injury bug and Brad will look like a lot better OL coach. We have the experience and talent. We are approaching the depth we need, but we're not quite there yet. Staying healthy is the key.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amazing part of bigd's excellent post is 3:20 a.m.!!!!***

Jun 29, 2009, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Well let's review his time there (loooong) ]

Re: Amazing part of bigd's excellent post is 3:20 a.m.!!!!***

Jun 29, 2009, 7:48 AM

yeah, but he started it around midnight.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you sure do know how to take the fun out of a good old

Jun 29, 2009, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Well let's review his time there (loooong) ]

witch hunt.

What am i going to do with this pitchfork and torch now?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

lol wow i didn't really think anyone would read all that***

Jun 29, 2009, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Well let's review his time there (loooong) ]

Re: Opinions on Brad Scott . .

Jun 29, 2009, 5:04 AM

I always thought of Brad Scott as the guy in the office that is not really great at his job, but is well liked for being a nice guy with a good sense of humor and played third base really well on the company softball team. Thus, the bosses like to keep him around.

Dabo demoted Brad to catcher ...

Jun 29, 2009, 7:46 AM

Pearman now plays 3rd.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All you need to know is pretty much this:

Jun 29, 2009, 8:04 AM

Rob Spence fired an hour after Dabo had the authority. Brad Scott still on the staff.

And I expect the Oline to be a strength this year. It could be a very exciting season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Opinions on Brad Scott . .

Jun 29, 2009, 8:58 AM

Well I say Brad has forgot more about football vs the posters you're fighting with. Note (posters) on a chat board. There's a reason they are not coaching !!!
Cause they're posters LMAO

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,471
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic