Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This Weekend's Game: Clemson at Virginia
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,133

This Weekend's Game: Clemson at Virginia

Feb 12, 2009, 9:51 PM

Who: Clemson (20-3, 6-3 ACC, No. 11) at Virginia (7-13, 1-8 ACC, RPI No. 105)
When: Sunday, 1 p.m. in John Paul Jones Arena
Is it on TV: It is if you get Raycom and can get home from church in time.
The spread: Not out yet. Pomeroy likes Clemson by roughly the gross national product of Ecuador.
Common opponents: 8 UVa. beat GTech and is a collective 0-8 against UNC, Duke, Wake, Fla. State, Boston, VTech and ... Liberty. Clemson is 5-3 against common foes.
When Last We Met: In Charlottesville, The Cavaliers never got closer than 14 as KC Rivers hit 8 three-pointers in an 82-51 mashing.
Ouch! In their own arena? BTW who is it named for?

Maybe this guy...

Even the Pope can't help Virginia

Or, maybe this guy...

The Cavs soar like a Led Zeppelin

But most likely this guy...

Don't give up the ship! It's sinking on it's own!

Yes, that's John Paul Jones, the war hero who I'm sure is really enjoying the antics going on in the arena bearing his name. With a loss to Clemson, the Cavs will be the only ACC team to have a losing record at home as well as the road.

What on Earth happened Weren't they good a couple of years ago? ? Yep, and Countrywide Mortgage stock used to be valuable, too. But they've both fallen on hard times. Virginia had two great guards who doubled as magicians in hiding a flawed inside game. But they've gone now, and you can see the wires now.

Ummmm....alakazam?

The Cavaliers have a very good sorcerer's apprentice in guard Sylven Landesberg (18 ppg, 6 reb, 3 ast, 3 to). Like Mickey Mouse in Fantasia, he keeps battling an endless army that inevitably overwhelms the Cavs. But don't blame it on Landesberg. He's Singleton incarnate, long arms and a solid jump shot.

If Landesberg is Mickey, then his Donald Duck is forward Mike Scott (10 ppg, 7 reb). He was doing well early on, but ACC competition and personal fouls have reduced his effectiveness. Think of him as a James Southern/JEff Allen type without the supporting cast.

Another Cav to watch is guard Sammie Zeglinski (9 ppg, 4 ast). He plays point and his primary job is to find Landesberg. In fact, that's everyone's job it seems. They like to stand around, like fans at the Oscars, waiting for their idol to show up.

That's not to say the Cavs can't play. They gave Florida State fits for a half in their last game. And they DID beat Georgia Tech. They aren't totally hopeless.

Until they face pressure defense. Give the Cavs time to poke around the half court, and someone will find a shot. They shoot well enough against a zone to hang around. But throw pressure on their guards, like FSU did in the second half of their game, and the complexion of their game changes...

I swear, no one calls palming anymore!

Calvin Baker, Jamil Tucker and Jeff Jones score 6-7 points each. 7-0 freshman Assane Sene gets 5 boards (13 against BC), but no one else on the team picks up more than 3 rebounds per game. In fact, the Cavs are one of the lowest-rebounding teams in the conference ... and one of the worst 3-point shooting ... and as a team they have more turnovers than assists.

I imagine you're getting the picture that their overall record tells you: the Cavs have some major problems. And unlike GTech and NC State, they don't seem to be getting better.

So, inside or outside: which way do we go? Clemson's first option is alway inside, and the tandem of Trevor Booker (15 ppg, 9 reb, 2 ast, 3 blk) and Ray Sykes (9 ppg, 6 reb, 5 blocks vs. BC) should have a solid game. The Cavs give up fewer offensive boards than Clemson, but that stat is deceiving. When opponents are hitting their first shot, there just aren't that many shots to rebound.

But the teams that have done well against Virginia boasted good guard play and outside shooting. And while Terrence Oglesby (14 ppg, 2 ast, FAA clearance to shoot from Manassas) has proven himself to be an artistic dunker, his outside shooting will be more valuable.

Hmmmm: which way shall I score?

Certainly KC Rivers (15 ppg, 6 reb, 2 ast) is licking his chops at one more game vs. the Cavs. Last time Rivers led a rout of the Hoos with 8 3-pointers. Demontez Stitt (8 ppg, 3 ast) seems to have rediscovered his drive, meaning he should get ample opportuity to head to the line.

The Tigers will likely press the whole game, so expect a lot of guys from the bench. The Hoos rotate players nearly as much as Clemson. The difference is our guys play both ends of the court. Virginia's seem less likely to join in on defense ... another resaon the Hoos give up more than any other ACC team.

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...

So, what's the outcome? Virginia has shown an ability to lose slow-paced games and fast-paced. Their only ACC win was a shootout when Landesberg couldn't miss from the wings. If Clemson can pressure the Cavs into turnovers and respond with an inside offense, Virginia will have to sag in ... and Rivers and TO will have the green light.

Clemson has the depth, talent and experience to win handily. As long as we don't walk in thinking the game is already won, we should be fine.

With a share of third place in the conference hanging in the balance, there's no reason we shouldn't be focused on Virginia.

And John Paul Jones can watch his ship sink a little bit more.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

odds

Feb 12, 2009, 10:17 PM

We're 30/1 to win the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship

http://sports.bodoglife.com/sports-betting/basketball-futures.jsp

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GREAT analysis...except John Paul Jones Arena is NOT

Feb 12, 2009, 10:28 PM

named for the old guy. It was named for a guy (yes, his name was John Paul Jones), that donated the money for the building a few years ago!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but he probably dressed up like a pirate, though...***

Feb 12, 2009, 10:31 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With a name like Smuckers...***

Feb 12, 2009, 10:32 PM

Rev, my son is a freshman at Methodist and loves it down

Feb 12, 2009, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Yeah, but he probably dressed up like a pirate, though...*** ]

there. He'll only take me to Hooters when we visit. Is there any place else to eat around there? LOL

mickey's on bragg blvd. not far from hooters

Feb 13, 2009, 3:55 AM

good food, good liquor but the waitresses wear a lot less clothes than hooters ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure: Food with "scenery" or just good food?

Feb 13, 2009, 5:54 AM [ in reply to Rev, my son is a freshman at Methodist and loves it down ]

I suggest the Mash House Brewery, of Sycamore Dairy (not far from Hooters) if he's old enough to drink.

Shoot me a t-mail next time you're coming down...we'll find you some decent eats.

LOL at "when opponents are hitting their first shot, there

Feb 12, 2009, 10:47 PM

just aren't that many shots to rebound"....
Losing to those guys would be incredibly demoralizing, and after what happened vs FSU, I just don't see our guys slacking off.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we win by 25 *

Feb 12, 2009, 11:13 PM

&

Re: This Weekend's Game: Clemson at Virginia

Feb 13, 2009, 6:26 AM

we all know for whom it is really named

Fantastic as usual!***

Feb 13, 2009, 9:28 AM