Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gator Bowl from a Husker fan's perspective
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Gator Bowl from a Husker fan's perspective

Jan 9, 2009, 11:47 PM

Several things I want to say after returning from Jacksonville.
1) It was a fine football game and the Huskers luckily had the ball bounce their way on several occasions. Everyone I know was impressed and a little surprised at the quality and quickness of Clemson's defense. The game was too good for my taste.
2) I met lots of Clemson fans and was impressed with their knowledge of their game (to include Nebraska's team) and their good, friendly sportsmanship. No trash talking and good competitive fun. After the game, there were no excuses - only congratulations for a great game. There's no substitute for class, and I'm not sure if Husker fans could have been as graceful or as courteous. Thanks.
3) The Husker fans travel well - and, come to find out, so do Tiger fans. I know it's just down the road for you all, but we were still surprised to be out-numbered. I never saw so many orange trucks outside of Knoxville.
4) It was my first trip to Jacksonville, and I really liked the place. Lots of good restaurants and sports bars. A friendly town.
5) Hope to see some of you all again at a bowl in the future. We are very, very proud of our win over Clemson in Jacksonville - and no one I know expected the win to come easy, if at all. I assume that you all know we missed going to a bowl last year - the first time in about 35 years. Clemson was a great test (almost too great) of the Huskers and gives us something to both brag about in the Big-12 and to build on next year. Good luck in 2009. Those of us in Nebraska will be tracking your success next year, and who knows...maybe we can meet at the "Landing" again.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live in omaha, bite me, just kidding

Jan 10, 2009, 12:01 AM

I thought we had you at halftime, but something happened. Husker fans have been very respectful of winning in omaha, absolutely no trash talk. Oh, btw, tigers are 15-0 in b-ball, how is creighton doing? (All husker football fans are creighton b-ball fans).. Peace, see you at clancys. (114 an ddodge)

Re: I live in omaha, bite me, just kidding

Jan 10, 2009, 12:12 AM

Everyone I know roots for Creighton in baseball and basketball. Believe they are about 13-4 now. Don't know how the Huskers are doing since money spent on developing a Husker basketball team would be better spent on football.

As for the score at the GatorBowl halftime, I was beginning to wonder how I would be able to bear remaining in Jacksonvill for three days after the game since it looked like the Huskers would lose. The comeback was almost as good as the one against Colorado...

didn't nebraska basketball have a decent run under nee***

Jan 10, 2009, 12:15 AM [ in reply to I live in omaha, bite me, just kidding ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: didn't nebraska basketball have a decent run under nee***

Jan 10, 2009, 12:22 AM

Nee was at NU from 1986 - 2000. They may have had a winning season somewhere in there. Since the 1990s were the golden years for football, no one really knows what the basketball yeam was up to. I know this - they didn't beat Kansas then.

Re: didn't nebraska basketball have a decent run under nee***

Jan 10, 2009, 12:33 AM [ in reply to didn't nebraska basketball have a decent run under nee*** ]

They were pretty awesome in College Slam for the Playstation 1.

Re: Gator Bowl from a Husker fan's perspective

Jan 10, 2009, 12:07 AM

I've always thought of Husker fans as knowledgeable and dedicated.....thanks for being gracious, as well. :)

CLEMSON ROCKS!!! TIGERS ROLL!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2009, 12:27 AM

By the way...congratulations on landing Kevin Steele. He is a quality individual and a talented coach. We in Nebraska know all about Kevin. He will do well at Clemson.

Jan 10, 2009, 12:30 AM

Glad to hear it. I think I speak for most of us when I say that the Clemson fan base doesn't take these comments lightly. We like to think of ourselves as you described. I wish I could have made the trip to party with you Huskers. I hope we meet again, with a different result of course ;)

Good luck in '09.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Defense was great, if we only had an offense...***

Jan 10, 2009, 12:37 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks! Appreciated kindness of Husker fans.Gracious winners***

Jan 10, 2009, 1:27 AM

I can echo that sentiment back to Nebraska fans

Jan 10, 2009, 7:51 AM

first time since we played home and home with A&M I felt as at home and welcomed by the opposing fan base at a game.

I guess we are so accustomed to the "SEC" hate monger attitude that is permiating southern football it is a nice and pleasant surprise to NOT have to deal with it.

I for one am very proud of the Clemson fan base, despite what our neighbors from Columbia say about us, we have a pretty good reputation for our sportsmanship and friendly fan base and that is another reason Clemson is such a special place.

I too will look at Nebraska differently after the trip and wish them well next season and beyond (unless we meet up somewhere again) -

P.S. As good as the trip was, I think a home and home would be awesome, would love to have a reaosn to visit Nebraska.

GO TIGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Re: I can echo that sentiment back to Nebraska fans

Jan 10, 2009, 10:06 AM

I'm fully aware of the SEC hatred for everything no part of that conference. Huskers don't play that conference very much and our success against them has been spotty (except for the 1996 and 1998 MNC victories against Florida and Tennessee). We have a home and home against Virginia Tech and I too would like to see the same against Clemson. An OOC win against either Tech or Clemson (whose defenses were an awful lot alike this year) would sure help us in the rankings more that beating up on Western Michigan. I can assure you that you'd enjoy a trip to Lincoln (as long as it wasn't in November) and I know all about the Clemson campus (it rivals Chapel Hill as far as beautiful campuses go). My only problem now is to wait out the winter and all of the surfing, weight lifting, and downhill skiing that will be on TV. Come on September!!!

RE: Husker fans are a lot classier than Alabama fans

Jan 10, 2009, 8:12 AM

I only met nice and classy Husker fans. I appreciate that. The Alabama fans are nasty. I was taunted and verbally abused by many of them. That is why I took so much pleasure in watching Florida and Utah rip them apart. If I see Nebraska playing someone next year, I actually would pull for them. Down with the tide!!!!

Re: RE: Husker fans are a lot classier than Alabama fans

Jan 10, 2009, 10:12 AM

Ha! You are like me - oftentimes, I don't root for teams to win as much as I root for teams to lose. Teams like Alabama, Notre Dame, Miami, USC, S. Carolina (we don't care for Spurrier out here), and Michigan (we beat them in a bowl a couple of years ago and their coach refused to shake hands after the game). That's how I can stand to watch teams like USC and Notre Dame play - one of them is going to lose.

Jan 10, 2009, 8:15 AM

First post..here. A friend turning me on to tigernet and it's become my favorite site.

We ended up with excellent Gator Bowl seats..and were surrounded by maybe two thirds Clemson fans and one third Huskers. The Nebraska folks were excellent. They were knowledgeable..polite and not afraid to yell for their team. All took cutting remarks about their mascot with a smile. I was impressed. As many of you were..I was at the Orange Bowl years ago (I'm now 52) and see things from a different light now. Wish we could play Nebraska more often.

The difference..obviously..was the quarterback. They had one..we didn't. Counting on a difference in 2009.

Go Tigers!!

Jan 10, 2009, 10:18 AM

By mascot, I assume you are talking about L'il Red. There are many of us adults who believe that there is a certain "creepy" factor at play with that mascot, but the smaller kids love him, and that's a big deal out here.

As for the Orange Bowls, we like to suppress memories of a lot of them. Except for beating Miami in the 1995 Orange Bowl, we were not very successful down there.

I echoe the other posts, and...

Jan 10, 2009, 9:28 AM

I would have to disagree that Nebraska fans might not be as classy had we won. I was at the 81' NC game in Miami and all the Nebraska fans I talked with were extremely gracious in defeat, despite being totally stunned that you guys lost.

Congrats on being the better team this year!

Re: I echoe the other posts, and...

Jan 10, 2009, 10:19 AM

Good luck in 2009. Kevin Steels has found a good home.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic