Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SOMEONE ASKED FOR IT!! THIS IS CLEMSON FOOTBALL!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

SOMEONE ASKED FOR IT!! THIS IS CLEMSON FOOTBALL!

Nov 28, 2004, 8:23 PM

THIS IS CLEMSON FOOTBALL

Following the 2004 season Clemson has an all-time winning percentage .566 (600-415-45), which ranks 33rd all-time in D-1A football. A few of the notable football programs who have been worse than the Tigers include such teams as: West Virginia, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Stanford, California, Wisconsin, Maryland, Virginia, and South Carolina just to name a few. This is Clemson Tiger football.

In the 66 seasons Clemson has been affiliated with a conference, they have won that conference 15 times...the ACC 13 times and the SoCon twice. Since the Associated Press began ranking football teams in 1936, the Tigers have finished in the Top 20 of the rankings 19 times in the 68 years. South Carolina has never finished in the Top 10 of a major recognized poll...NEVER. Clemson has finished in the Top 10 of the AP six times, with a best in 1981, you might have seen it on the scoreboard, National Champions. The first year of Tiger football was in 1896. In 108 seasons of football, Clemson has participated in one of the “Big 5” Bowls (Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Cotton) 5 times (Orange three times, Sugar once, Cotton once). As Clemson is set to begin its 109th season of collegiate football, they have won 10 or more games in a single season 7 times, 5 times since 1980. This is Clemson Tiger football.

Clemson has enjoyed the confines of Death Valley during most of its storied tradition, but since Clemson has been playing football since 1896 it has enjoyed a .712 home winning percentage. Another Clemson touchdown?.....Exactly! Death Valley, where Gamecocks come to die! This is Clemson Tiger football.

Since joining the ACC in 1952, Clemson has had a winning record in the conference 35 times. In the 52 seasons as a member of the ACC, Clemson boasts a conference record of 206-115-6…No team has won more and only Florida State has a better win percentage. Clemson’s conference record versus other current conference members since they have been in the conference is even more impressive: 42-13-1 vs Duke, 1-12 vs Florida State, 12-12 vs Georgia Tech, 28-22-2 vs Maryland, 1-0 vs Miami, 30-15-1 vs North Carolina, 25-24 vs NC State, 35-13-1 vs Virginia, and 43-8-1 vs Wake Forest. That’s correct, Clemson leads the all-time series against all but 2 ACC teams...Florida State and Georgia Tech, teams with National Championships. This is Clemson Tiger football.

But, the comparison of only 12 seasons in one conference does no justice to the tradition of Clemson football. So lets compare the Tigers record versus D-1A schools they have played 20 or more times: 62-36-4 vs South Carolina, 42-13-1 vs Duke, 15-38-4vs Georgia,28-22-2 vs Maryland, 30-15-1 vs North Carolina, 44-27-1vs North Carolina State, 11-31-2 vs Auburn, 35-13-1 vs Virginia, 16-9-1 vs Virginia Tech, and 43-8-1 vs Wake Forest. That’s correct, Clemson leads the all-time series against all but 2 of these 10 teams...Auburn and Georgia. This is Clemson Tiger football.

But all this tradition and past records are meaningless. What is more important is the recent history. Only losers live in the past. We are in the best years of Clemson Tiger football, and the future has never been brighter! Clemson is coming off another winning season, the 9th in the last 13 seasons. Overall record since “the legend” Tommy Bowden became Head Coach: 44-29 (0.603) . Clemson has gone on to play in five straight bowls including last year’s thumping of Tennessee. During that span Clemson has prevented Carolina from going to a bowl game for a third consecutive year(Counting the brawl for all this year). This is Clemson Tiger football!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice work! I love it.***

Nov 28, 2004, 8:27 PM

As always,
This has been clemsontiger07®. GO TIGERS!

Re: SOMEONE ASKED FOR IT!! THIS IS CLEMSON FOOTBALL!

Nov 28, 2004, 8:32 PM

Thank you for giving credit to Tommy Bowden. Truly, the BEST is yet to come!

Nov 28, 2004, 8:35 PM

nice work, but we haven't lost to Virginia 13 times

Nov 28, 2004, 8:39 PM

I have the score to every game since 1896, promise we have lost to them 13 times, i counted each twice.

Well, they never beat us until 1990...

Nov 28, 2004, 8:47 PM

so for them to have 13 wins they would have had to beat us 13 out of the last 14 games, and that hasn't happened...all-time series with them is 35-8-1.

Re: Well, they never beat us until 1990...

Nov 28, 2004, 8:48 PM

no, we beat them 29 straight times till 90.

35-8-1 is correct***

Nov 28, 2004, 8:51 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 35-8-1 is correct***

Nov 28, 2004, 8:52 PM

ok, i stand corrected i apologize. Either way, we own them.

yes we do******

Nov 28, 2004, 8:58 PM

Re: 35-8-1 is correct***

Nov 29, 2004, 4:20 AM [ in reply to Re: 35-8-1 is correct*** ]

LMAO !!

One of the best posts I've ever seen.

null

Great Work! Love it!***

Nov 28, 2004, 9:10 PM

romans 8:28

www.loosechange911.com/
www.killtown.com
www.letsroll911.org
www.universalseed.org

How did UVA beat us 13 times? We were 29-0 thru 1989!***

Nov 28, 2004, 9:14 PM

Awwwwww, he called us a notable program. How sweet.***

Nov 28, 2004, 9:21 PM

Nov 28, 2004, 9:29 PM

I assume you had to do a fair amount of research to put this together. There are two college football databases that show that USuCk forfeited all games in 1965 and another database shows they forfeited only one game. What is the official determination of that season? On another USuCk subject, the first Gator Bowl was in 1945. USuCk was 2-3-3 during the regular season including a 0-60 loss to Duke and a 0-55 loss to Alabama. USuCk had played Wake Forest to a 13-13 tie in the regular season and Wake Forest and USuCk were selected to play in the first Gator Bowl. Did the Gator Bowl not try to find two teams with a winning record or was there some other reason for selecting these two teams? Just curious.

Let me preface this observation by stating that

Nov 28, 2004, 9:34 PM

Tommy Bowden is our coach, and I think a pretty darned good one. I was reading above that Tommy has a 44-29 record at Clemson. I couldn't help but link the 29 losses to Danny's 96-29-4 record. That was an awesome 11 years, wasn't it? Let's hope Tommy can go 52-0 and match it!

Flame away, but Ford coached in a different era...

Nov 28, 2004, 9:53 PM

that was conducive to Clemson dominance. The ACC was relatively weak...Maryland and UNC both were on the decline and FSU wasn't in the ACC yet. USC enjoyed some success in the mid-80s but soon faded back to "normal." Very hard to compare the two coaches once you factor in the different landscapes. And Ford never faced a schedule that included A&M, FSU, and Miami ALL ON THE ROAD. This all being said, Coach Bowden has yet to achieve the same degree of consistency as Coach Ford and this could be his demise down the road...

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic