Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Unbelieveable
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Unbelieveable

Sep 19, 2008, 3:27 PM

Any of you who think that our football ranking is more important than academic ranking clearly don't have any true ties to Clemson. Barker has done a great job making the degree I will recieve in May more valuable than it was in years past. I'm as big a football fan as anyone but i read a post earlier that said Barker should leave because we havent won a football championship. That person obviously doesn't understand what a "university" is and I would dare say probably didn't attend one. This board has really become a disgrace for people to downgrade the University. Atleast at first it was sports (which in the grand scheme of life really isn't that important) but now academic side of it too. Anyone who has actually attended Clemson will tell you that we are on the right track to obtaining the goals that really matter.

And while we're at it, I think we should fire the whoever is in charge of landscaping, I saw a couple of weeds on the sidewalk today walking to class

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

weeds growing on campus?

Sep 19, 2008, 3:28 PM

Clearly there isn't enough drinking and public urination taking place.

Is there a buyout clause for the weed wacker?

Sep 19, 2008, 3:30 PM

;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

the big money men have it coverd, according to rumor.***

Sep 19, 2008, 3:30 PM

WE have big money men? Neat!***

Sep 19, 2008, 3:31 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Uh huh.. the Five ye ole money men***

Sep 19, 2008, 3:37 PM [ in reply to the big money men have it coverd, according to rumor.*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Re: Is there a buyout clause for the weed wacker?

Sep 19, 2008, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Is there a buyout clause for the weed wacker? ]

Weed growing on campus? Can you give me the location? ;)>

see all that sounds nice and sweet, but

Sep 19, 2008, 3:32 PM

you are still young and naive....your diploma is not going to take you nearly as far as YOU are going to have to take you....and football rules

Re: see all that sounds nice and sweet, but

Sep 19, 2008, 3:48 PM

Unless your degree is from an Ivy league school or Duke, it does not really matter where you get it from.

Sep 19, 2008, 4:20 PM

Nice point HotCarl. I thought that was you. I couldn't have said it better myself. All you need is A degree.

No doubt - I have no idea who the top 20 schools are, and I

Sep 19, 2008, 4:50 PM [ in reply to see all that sounds nice and sweet, but ]

don't care. I have hired people from CofC, Clemson, South Carolina and ECU that have run circles around Duke, UNC, and UVA grads. I always found Clemson did a great job of preparing students for the real world. That always ruffled the feathers of the "academians" up there, but that is why they are in academia - no one else will pay them to pontificate instead of work.

I find most schools do a really good job of teaching students what they need to know as a new hire. But, they are just starting their education process. What I look for anymore is an attention to detail and a willingness to really work. Those I am finding are character items that have little to do with college attended except that certain students tend to be drawn to certain schools. Clemson used to be a school that appealed to college grads I would look for. Regretably, this is not the case any more, as the last few recent Clemson graduates I have interviewed just don't have "it". Surprisingly I am finding lots of good candidates at CofC, which 10 years ago seemed to be full of "stoners"

I venture to say many employers have never seen the US News magazine that even ranks the schools. That issue is purely a marketing device, and the only ones that really give a rip about the ranking are high school seniors and college administrators.

Re: He made a good point........

Sep 19, 2008, 6:38 PM [ in reply to see all that sounds nice and sweet, but ]

How about cut him a lil slack, huh ? Just a little.

... and football duzn't rule... some of us DID learn that.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2008, 8:18 PM [ in reply to see all that sounds nice and sweet, but ]

true but it can start you on a better ladder.

here is the thing...

Sep 19, 2008, 3:55 PM

I graduated from Clemson in 2005. I went to interview for my current position and we spent about 75% of my interview discussing college football. The head man here is a Clemson grad and huge football fan. My direct managers under him are also avid football fans. One is a UGA man and the other a Syracuse man. The fact that I could relate to each school and knew a lot about the game and the passion in the southeast revolving around it was much more valuable in my interview than my resume or my GPA. It may have been a requirement for me to have a 4 year degree to get my job, but there is no doubt in my mind that I landed my position because I knew college football.

I'd rather have the number one football

Sep 19, 2008, 4:11 PM

team in the country than the number one university.

Clemson is a good school, we enjoy a fine academic reputation, but we ain't MIT, Berkeley, or Stanford...nor should we want to be.

Like it or not, Clemson would get more positive recognition for being BCS Champs than we would if we were the number one engineering/ag/business school.

There I said it, it sucks, I know, but I'm not takin' it back!

Your comment is absurd.

Sep 19, 2008, 4:28 PM

"Like it or not, Clemson would get more positive recognition for being BCS Champs than we would if we were the number one engineering/ag/business school."
Clemson University would attract unbelievable amounts of new businesses, research dollars, etc., to this state if it were the #1 engineering school or business school in the country (not so much with Ag, but who is screaming about being an Ag school in 2008?). It would be an engine for numerous new enterprises and patents. It would therefore more fully fulfill its mission to serve the citizens of South Carolina, something that keeps being brought up as a reason that we SHOULDN'T continue to improve academically.

This debate is approaching surreal.

null

Ask App St. what a Division IAA title did for them

Sep 19, 2008, 5:00 PM

You need to research the numbers before making ABSURD assumptions...A BCS Title would do more for CLEMSON than some magazine ranking the school "the best". The amount of donations both public and private would increase, exposure of Clemson University would increase, and the number of students that apply to Clemson would go off the charts. You must work in the academic world--most of "those" people have no clue about the "real" world.

Tell it '94 and put some stank on it.***

Sep 19, 2008, 5:54 PM

Yeah, it would put us on the map for a few years.

Sep 19, 2008, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Ask App St. what a Division IAA title did for them ]

And then a few years later, no one cares about our 27 year old championship.

No one is arguing that football isn't important, or that it brings in a ton of money, or that is what Clemson University is known for. BUT, Clemson is a University, not a franchise. There can't be a team without a school.

I'm pretty surprised that it seems most of the older grads are the ones complaining about Clemson pushing academics at the cost of athletics, which I think is a misconception. All the new grads or current students, myself included, seem to be proud of our diplomas.

At my interview and UNC Med School, I didn't get in because I could talk football. Or basketball for that matter. Sure if you can make good conversation with a potential employer or admissions faculty, you've got a better shot, but don't disregard the education that gave you the tools to be competitive for an interview in the first place.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Now you just can't read. You guys have gone nuts.

Sep 19, 2008, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Ask App St. what a Division IAA title did for them ]

I didn't say a national championship wouldn't bring public and private donation. I didn't say it wouldn't increase exposure and I didn't say we wouldn't get an increase in applications. But you compared the value of a national championship with being the leading business or engineering school in the country.

Dumb.

Not to mention that you are creating an argument that Barker never used (When Barker outlined his vision for the University it INCLUDED athletic goals. He is not anti-athletics.).

The whole argument is just pathetic.

null

Barker is a tool***

Sep 19, 2008, 4:33 PM

There is a reason his emails go straight the to the junk

Sep 19, 2008, 8:13 PM

folder.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

One Barker - Solid Barker***

Sep 19, 2008, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Barker is a tool*** ]

Don't touch those

Sep 19, 2008, 4:52 PM

weeds, we can claim them as "Green Space" and the Tree Huggers in the administration won't take more game day parking spaces for "beautification".

I will say that football is just as important to Clemson...

Sep 19, 2008, 5:07 PM

University as academics. Anybody who believes different is naive. Our beloved university is nothing more than a money making machine. That is made obvious by skyrocketing tuition and the fact that research and grants are so much more important than educating. Yes your degree is more valuable now. That's because less people can afford to get into Clemson!

So as the money-making machine that it is, what do you think makes more money per capita for the university? The football team, with <10 paid coaches plus trainers and managers? Or hundreds of professors, administrators and staff? Do you think anybody across the country has ever heard of Clemson for anything other than its football team? Get over yourself.

So are you saying that a top ranking in football is MORE

Sep 19, 2008, 7:53 PM

important than a top ranking in academics?

null

Re: So are you saying that a top ranking in football is MORE

Sep 19, 2008, 8:10 PM

im saying that,opinons are like ### holes,every body got one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fascinating. ******

Sep 19, 2008, 9:07 PM

null

Re: So are you saying that a top ranking in football is MORE

Sep 20, 2008, 5:31 PM [ in reply to So are you saying that a top ranking in football is MORE ]

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a current student and I don't care what Clemson's academic ranking is. I'm confident that I have a good enough personality and enough REAL WORLD knowledge to get me a job. The degree doesn't matter except for the fact that it gets me the interview. Where your degree comes from DOES NOT MATTER unless it's IVY League. They just want to know you have a degree.

Re: Unbelieveable

Sep 19, 2008, 10:52 PM

You may want to learn how to spell "receive" before you get that degree.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic