Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ron Morris on Bowden - Recruiting High Character Flawed?
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1

Ron Morris on Bowden - Recruiting High Character Flawed?

Aug 10, 2008, 1:09 PM

A lot of things stuck out for me in reading Ron Morris' piece on Coach Bowden. He questioned a 'win at all cost attitude' concerning discipline and used Courtney Vincent as example. Of course he failed to mention Vincent was hands down CU's best returning LB when he said, 'Interestingly, he was excused from the team in the spring for violation of team rules." These team rules are not for public consumption nor should they be. They are proven, 'tried and true', in the few unfortunate instances they have been necessary. Would it not have been beneficial to CU and Coach Bowden to allow Vincent back? Wouldn't Tommy and his supposed 'win at all cost' mentality have welcomed Courtney with open arms? Apparently not, as once again the system, the team & the university proved more sacred than wins. But that's OK Ron, you had a piece to write.

What sticks out for me most is relative to any system in place whether it be computers or student athletes. I think the old adage said something about 'the output being only as sound as the input'; others my have a different way of putting it. We'll get back to this.

Morris further writes, 'South Carolina adopted a policy two years ago whereby a student-athlete is automatically suspended from his or her team if arrested. "Adopted" is an interesting way of putting 'was forced to...' - do we really need to rehash all the reasons the administration in Columbia found this action was necessary? McDaniel he says, would likely be suspended under Hyman's system. Likely is not an absolute & I suspect even under Hyman's scrutiny the situation would be the same; Deandre has passed the first litmus test of the Judicial Review Board. As a student first, Deandre's 'standing' was determined by the school & no sufficient reason found to suspend, censure or other. Should other information be obtained the situation can and will be reassessed; the book has yet to be closed which leads me to this.

"Compared to many schools, Clemson has been relatively free of off-field incidents. So it is easy for Phillips to defend his department’s policies."

Yes Ron, it is easy. The staff has done upfront what Hyman asks for in review; prior infractions, etc. In fact, the staff has and it appears will continue to offer only High Character individuals. These young CU men pass Hyman's litmus test prior to ever setting foot on campus. Does it mean there will be no Courtney Vincents? No. But it is certainly a better, brighter beginning than Jarriel King or an institution that bordered on complete lack of institutional control for the shear purpose of 'winning at all costs'. Would Jarriel have ever found his way on the Clemson campus? Certainly not, neither by invitation nor written offer.

We may all remember TJ Williams. If you don't, he was a star wide receiver out of Tallahasee, sought after by the likes of LSU and others. TJ needed a year of prep in 2006 @ Fork Union to improve scores. During his time there he apparently ran afoul of team rules and although he was not removed from the team, word got to Bowden and company and his offer was rescinded. TJ went on to Michigan State where late in July 2008 this hit the wire. http://www.statenews.com/index.php/article/2008/07/former_football_player_pleads_guilty_to_larceny

As you say Ron, "there is no perfect system for dealing with discipline issues," but give me a system where year in an year out GPAs, graduation rates continue to rise and high character young men are prepared for life after football. Give me a system that provides high character young men with high character opportunity. Give me a system that begins with quality input, provides sound guidance in accordance with the implied contract between family & university, then continuously produces quality output; not one where the practice in place accepts corrupt input for the shear purpose of wins AND then hopes that the system within the walls will not be necessary, then should it be, allow a four strike policy. In fact a 'system' such as Hyman's is a not a system at all, but rather a deterrent and with a 4 strike policy, I find it not much of a deterrent at all.

Until then Ron, I suggest you find another university, not Clemson, to hold in example. In the end, the only thing that appears flawed is your thinking.

To Coach Bowden and Staff, Terry Don Phillips and Clemson University, thank you for all you do!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic