Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's all about TEAM!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

It's all about TEAM!

Aug 3, 2008, 3:13 PM

Did anyone else notice this from Friday's practice? I've never seem the team talk about this before. Is it a first?

These are the things, as 'simple' as it may seem, that bring teams together.

Clemson climbing to get to the top
By Will Vandervort (Contact / Staff Bio)
August 2, 2008 - 12:17 a.m. EST

CLEMSON — It’s a sharp drop off that falls close to 100 feet. In Clemson it’s known as the Clemson Dyke, located on Highway 93 across from the McFadden Building, which houses the football program.

Seldom is the ###, which supports the Seneca River Portion of Lake Harwell, climbed. But on Friday afternoon, a few hours before the start of summer practice, every member of the 2008 Clemson Tigers climbed it.

“That was tough for us, and a lot of guys probably couldn’t make it, but they crawled or did whatever they could to get to the top of that hill,” running back James Davis said after Friday night’s practice. “They did everything it took, and once everybody got to the top we just broke it down, 110 percent. That’s kind of our motto this year. Whatever we do, we just have to give 110 percent and things will happen for us.”

And that’s the difference Davis says separates this year’s squad from the previous three he has been on in Tigertown.

“You have guys pushing other guys,” he said. “They will not let anyone quit. You have guys throwing up, but they don’t quit. We have everybody trying to do whatever it takes to get to another level.”

That next level is winning an ACC Championship and then who knows what. Davis says there is a hunger in this year’s team that he has never seen before.

“Guys see that we are ranked and that we are ranked high,” the senior said. “They have that motivation to come out here and try to work hard. Even in the off-season, they knew.

“We came out here on the practice field and knew that we have to do something different this year. We are going to play with an edge. We are going to play with a chip on our shoulder.”

They have that chip because many around the country do not believe Clemson is as good as advertised. The Tigers, who debuted Friday at No. 9 in the USA Today Coaches Poll, have been given the status of “most likely to flop” by some national analysts.

The last three years, Clemson has missed playing for the ACC Championship by just a few points. Three years ago it was a one-point loss at Georgia Tech. Two years ago it was a one-point loss at home to a less talented Maryland team, and last year, Boston College’s Matt Ryan broke their hearts with a late touchdown pass in November.

“We have to finish,” Davis said. “Those people said it because that’s what has been happening. We just have to have a year where we finish at the end, and we finish strong and get some kind of championship because that’s why we have been working hard.

“Those people said that for a reason because that’s been our past, so we just have to do something for them not to say it.”

Clemson will get that chance on Aug. 30 in the Georgia Dome when it opens the season against Alabama. Davis said he is excited about the prospects of the new season and can already taste the ACC Championship.

“I really can,” he said. “I have been close since I have been here. I’m going to fight for it. I know Cullen (Harper) has said the same, Michael Hamlin and all of those guys that have been here for five years. Everybody wants it.”

And they have already climbed their first hurdle. That’s a start.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's all about TEAM!

Aug 3, 2008, 6:44 PM

Yes, there is definitely something "different" this year. Just like there was in 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004......

Don't get swept up in all the sentimental BS. It leads to disappointment.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hamlet, that's one way to look at it, but here's mine.......

Aug 3, 2008, 7:27 PM

Finish Every Day

Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities
no doubt have crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.

Tomorrow is a new day;
begin it well and serenely
and with too high a spirit
to be cumbered with
your old nonsense.

This day is all that is
good and fair.
It is too dear,
with its hopes and invitations,
to waste a moment on yesterdays.

Emerson

Just sayin....

Go Tigers!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Dearest Hamlet --- Do I care what a member

Aug 3, 2008, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Re: It's all about TEAM! ]

of another team has to say about my team? Of course not, but best of luck to you and yours.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Dearest Hamlet --- Do I care what a member

Aug 3, 2008, 7:54 PM

what team am I a member of?
I really have no idea what you were trying to say.

'Et tu Brute?'...***

Aug 3, 2008, 8:33 PM

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic