Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Spurrier really that desperate?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Jul 31, 2008, 7:36 AM

E-mail story Discuss story iPod friendly version
By Andrew Moore (Contact / Staff Bio)
July 31, 2008 - 12:15 a.m. EST

I?ve got to admit, I found it more than a little odd when South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier found it necessary, when discussing the strengths, weakness and expectations of his team, to talk about Clemson?s schedule.

?I wish one of the sportswriters, when they start picking everybody's record this year, would write how they'd do if Clemson played South Carolina's schedule and South Carolina played Clemson's schedule,? Spurrier told The Charlotte Observer Tuesday. ?They don?t do that. Clemson doesn?t play Virginia Tech this season. Alabama. Alabama could be difficult. They don?t play Georgia and Tennessee and Florida and LSU and those people we play.?

Oh, Steve. Bless your heart.

I know Spurrier is known for making digs at rivals. He?s become the coach everyone loves to hate. His wit makes him entertaining. The conflict he introduces is a dream for us in the media. But even the Ole? Ball Coach needs to know his limits. Someone should tell him.

Hoss, your running off at the mouth was cute when you were winning games. When you spout off with a 21-16 record, it just makes you look like a brat.

So many things about Spurrier?s comments just confound me. First, why is his mind on the media to begin with? He wishes one of the sportswriters ? stop right there. While I understand coaching isn?t done in a vacuum, let?s be real here, what he needs to be hoping and wishing for should have nothing to do with what us sports geeks do for a living. I have serious questions about a head coach who is willing to tell members of the press what he?d like them to write about. Kind of calls his priorities into question, doesn?t it?

I have even more serious questions about a coach who not only would wish to dictate what members of the press write, but also one who wishes sportswriters would analyze his rival?s schedule. Spurrier, for all of his bravado when he took this job regarding not comparing the Gamecocks to Clemson, sure does seem concerned four years into it.

I have my own opinion as to just how well Clemson would do with South Carolina?s schedule, and vice versa. The point is, that doesn?t matter. Spurrier, who should be exclusively concentrating on the X?s and O?s and goals for his team, is instead inviting all who care to listen to his griping to engage in fruitless speculation. What would Clemson do? Who knows? No one can know for sure, which makes the question idiotic and arbitrary to begin with. But beyond that, why should anyone, especially Spurrier, care?

The truth is, when Spurrier was building an SEC power in Gainesville and quipping about not being able to spell Citrus without ?UT?, everyone saw it for what is was ? the arrogant but entertaining words of a coach oozing with confidence at his program, his players, his prestige. The Spurrier loudly complaining about negative recruiting packages being sent to potential future Gamecocks and Clemson?s schedule is a different coach than we knew in the 1990?s. He is seeing his vice-like grip and strategic domination over his peers fade.

Steve, people just don?t see you that way anymore. Granted, you?re a prodigiously talented coach, and every coach in America will tell you that. But although your name remains Spurrier, the program you?re coaching remains South Carolina ? and that, quite frankly, doesn?t strike fear into the hearts of many.

The man in the visor is desperate, I think. A precipitous fall to reality last season, a slew of legal troubles and an overall record hovering above .500 couldn?t be what Spurrier envisioned when he took the job.

I may be proven wrong (but I don?t think I will), but Spurrier?s deflecting discussion to Clemson?s easy schedule seems an attempt to insulate himself from the truth about his performance in Columbia.

In reality, it only brings it to the forefront. It throws into sharp view his clear concern for how his faltering program is perceived vis-à-vis the orange-clad enemies to the Northwest.

What he needs to be doing is coach up his boys and talk about ?their? schedule.

One thing is for sure ? he?s found a home in Columbia, where the football culture is becoming increasingly infested with SEC sycophants and excuse-makers. It?s a land where conference affiliation and scheduling is more important than wins and losses. But despite the fact that he clearly fits in there, it should still worry Gamecock faithful that their coach thinks that much about another team?s schedule. It is a loser?s mentality being espoused by a winning coach, which is never good to see.

?But anyway, that's the way it is. There?s no big deal about it,? Spurrier went on to say.

Yep, Steve, no big deal. Which is why you?re talking about it, right?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES!!!!!!!!***

Jul 31, 2008, 7:39 AM

He's also a #### head***

Jul 31, 2008, 7:43 AM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Wow. Just like every other Lamecock.

Jul 31, 2008, 7:49 AM

Stevie is living through the success of his opponents. Poor Steve, you are the skid mark of Lexington County's underwear.

OUCH...that'll leave a mark !!!***

Jul 31, 2008, 7:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Well done Mr. Moore...

Jul 31, 2008, 8:00 AM

Yes sir, A spade is a spade!

What paper is that from?***

Jul 31, 2008, 8:09 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

upstatetoday.com***

Jul 31, 2008, 8:13 AM

Somebody's in box will be inundated with hate mail today

Jul 31, 2008, 8:18 AM

As ignorant and deluded as they are, the one thing that riles $CU fans more than anything else is the truth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Double Points !! Outstanding ! "Bless Hymn's Heart"***

Jul 31, 2008, 8:21 AM

That really hit the mark! Desperate times, Desperate meaures***

Jul 31, 2008, 8:22 AM

I really like this part -

Jul 31, 2008, 8:26 AM

Steve, people just don?t see you that way anymore. Granted, you?re a prodigiously talented coach, and every coach in America will tell you that. But although your name remains Spurrier, the program you?re coaching remains South Carolina ? and that, quite frankly, doesn?t strike fear into the hearts of many.

My Favorite Part...

Jul 31, 2008, 8:52 AM

"Spurrier, for all of his bravado when he took this job regarding not comparing the Gamecocks to Clemson, sure does seem concerned four years into it." YES!

He'll get Clemson's schedule when he

Jul 31, 2008, 9:02 AM

signs on as an assistant coach.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

WOW!!! I love that guy who wrote that!!!! Excellent for

Jul 31, 2008, 9:13 AM

someone to finally call that arrogant ####### out!

Re: Is Spurrier really that desperate?

Jul 31, 2008, 9:30 AM

we'll see him in november. then he can explain to the media why he could not beat such a weak team.

Finally a writer that has the nads to say

Jul 31, 2008, 10:02 AM

what all other writers are afraid to say.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier loves this or he wouldn't have said what he said

Jul 31, 2008, 10:40 AM

hate him if you will, but his legacy is yet to be written
and he is on a mission to be one of a kind, the unquestionalbely best college coach of all time. We will see...

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic