Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's time to face some realities
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

It's time to face some realities

Nov 27, 2007, 10:16 AM

Reality is, this message board and most others, are made up of a large group of 15 - 25 yr olds that are very vocal about everything and post often and a large group of 35 - 50 yr olds that post sometimes and a group of older that post seldom and are vocal when they see something that piques their interest. There is also a large group of 30 and older that don't post at all, they simply come around to read/lurk/browse.

Looking at most of the profiles of those that are so vocal about our coaching staff, you can't help but notice that the overwhelming majority of them are in that group of 15 - 25 yr olds. (those that actually put grad years). What today's society has become is what this group has grown up in. The "I want it now" crowd. No patience, no paying dues, no building. It's all about instant gratification. It doesn't matter that other universities may have more of this or that, better this or that it's simply my school is the best and nothing else matters mentality.

When Tommy Bowden first arrived at Clemson, we all had some unrealistic expectations. His first responsibility was to assure our facilities were enough to compete with the other upper tier universities for the services of the top athletes. The bottom line is, we were far behind in that respect. After taking a few years to do this, coach Bowden started to get these top recruits. Not only recruits with outstanding athletic ability, but also the character and fortitude to assure we're not one of those schools like Texas or Carolina that we scoff and laugh at because of their arrest records and off-field incidents.

Our recruiting classes the last 3 yrs, since the facilities upgrade, have averaged 16th according to most sources. The very first of those recruiting classes will be seniors next year. So what we'll have is not only top athletes with character but those highly ranked recruits will become seniors and will be leaders on and off the field. I can't think of a better position to be in considering we're on track to have a top 10 recruiting class this coming year that will be learning from the best next season.

So here we are at the culmination of Tommy Bowden's rebuilding of the Clemson Tiger football program. I haven't been this excited about a season since the 80s as I am about 2008.

Many of you that are calling for change would do well to listen to those that are calling for patience. Tommy Bowden has paid his dues, rebuilt the house and now has this program ready to assume the role we played in the early 80s. We've just had the first 3 yr stretch of at least 8 wins since the late 80s to 91. How can you not see the progress?

The year we've all been waiting for for 16 yrs is nearly upon us. Savor the excitement we haven't experienced for a very long time. Moments like this don't come along too often for anyone.

That's the reality of where we Clemson Tigers are today.

Patience grasshopper.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True, and only 1 man to crack a loud one in church to

Nov 27, 2007, 10:20 AM

command attention the entire congregation

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2007, 10:24 AM

KAPOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

specially on those all-wood pews. Makes a silent

Nov 27, 2007, 10:29 AM [ in reply to True, and only 1 man to crack a loud one in church to ]

escape sound like a butt banchee.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It has been my experience that the hard wood and a one cheek

Nov 27, 2007, 10:31 AM

sneak will sometimes result in a piercing whistle, which is never mistaken for anything other than what it was.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

So many people forget this about Danny Ford'***

Nov 27, 2007, 10:20 AM

teams....they always managed to LOSE to someone they

Nov 27, 2007, 10:23 AM

were not supposed to EVERY year but one.

I was there. I remember that bland offense. I don't want to go back to that and anyone in their right mind don't either.

There have only been a few teams that have ever won 80% of their games for a decade. And Clemson has NEVER been one of them, regardless of what some on here think they remember.

What we've got now is headed in the right direction. Let's keep it going.

Exactly, i was there too, and we never made it back to a

Nov 27, 2007, 10:33 AM

major bowl either under Ford because of those losses.

Also, every other fan in the country considered us a rogue program, a bunch of cheaters, that would do anything to win football games. I was the biggest Clemson and Danny Ford fan around but grew tired of having to defend our program back in the day.

Tommy Bowden has succeeded in putting that perception to rest. Along with 9 straight winning seasons, going 7-2 vs USC, the FSU wins, 3 straight top 20 recruiting classes soon to be 4, no off field problems, sets season ticket records, etc, etc

the only thing he has yet to do is play for a ACC championship or win 10 games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh man! Remember the Ford games against Virginia,

Nov 27, 2007, 10:38 AM [ in reply to teams....they always managed to LOSE to someone they ]

where the only reason we eventually won was because Ford had an entire second team sitting on the sidelines on schollies, and we just knew that at some point in the second half, the option would start to find big holes to run through to the outside? Anybody still remember when that all started to fail? When linebackers started coming out who were as fast as Terry Allen? When we played FSU and discovered the speed difference was not only apparent, but embarrassing? Remember that? I do. Man, do I remember that. Never again. Bowden took over a program that had been run into the ground under West (and who ever thought we'd name an endzone after the man? :) ) and after beginning the rebuilding process with some success, had Rodriguez get hired away. He then had to go through a period where he had to confront some staff hires that turned out to be questionable (anyone still remember O'Cain stating publicly that he didn't understand what Duke was doing, the year they beat us?) Finally, he's had the whole conference structure change. BAsically, Bowden geared the whole program up to beating FSU for a conference championship, and then had the conference up the ante by bringing in Miami, BC, and Virginia Tech. Think about it. Bowden has beaten FSU 5 of the last 6 times we've played them. BAsically, Bowden did exactly what he needed to do to get us to where we needed to be, and then had the goalposts get moved on him by the conference. And he's still been close to getting Clemson to a championship game the last three years. We're getting there. REally we are. How many times in Clemson's history have we had a quarterback redshirting because he currently isn't quite as good as the junior who is currently playing? (And I fully expect Korn to eclipse a lot of Harper's records, but for right now, I'm glad we're not sending a freshman out to run our offense). Hey, I'm excited! We even have a really outside chance at the Sugar Bowl this year.

point just for the "Tommy West Zone" joke

Nov 27, 2007, 10:52 AM

That had actually never occurred to me. Hilarious. :)

27-0,48-0,42-21,55-0 are just some of the scores of...

Nov 27, 2007, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Oh man! Remember the Ford games against Virginia, ]

... Clemson's games against UVA under Danny Ford, and we LOST to them the very first year he was gone. You're an idiot, and everybody who pointed this stupid post is an idiot. When Danny Ford played FSU in 1988 and 1989, we lost one very close game on the trick play of the decade, and then went to their place and blew them out, dominated them from the opening kick. Maybe the FSU teams from the '90's were quicker than Clemson, but those FSU teams were not. It's quite apparent that you don't remember #### about the Danny Ford era.

Message was edited by: KilgoreTrout®

Re: Oh man! Remember the Ford games against Virginia,

Nov 27, 2007, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Oh man! Remember the Ford games against Virginia, ]

Don't run Mike O'Cain down. He did state that he would've never taken the Offensive Coordinator position if he'd have realized that TBowden would continuously overrule his play calls. (Yes, in the Duke game, too.) TB made him into a scape goat.
While I see that TBowden has done many good things for CU, I've also noted that he's generally looking for someone else to blame when things go badly. That's very disappointing for a coach to blame a field goal kicker last (2006) season. At least, he didn't publicly do that this year. That's an improvement!
However, what he did do this year, was play it close to the vest (conservative) until games were lost. That way, he wouldn't be blamed for a 'coaching' decision.
Unfortunately, I think TBowden guides CU to another 8 or 9 win season next year, too; the O Line needs to be re-built.

Dang, preach, I'm proud of what those teams accomplished...

Nov 27, 2007, 10:42 AM [ in reply to teams....they always managed to LOSE to someone they ]

Let me help you with the math. Over a 15 year period (1977-91), Clemson won 76.44% of its games; something that less than a few schools can claim.

This is not a "bash TB" post, but I'm don't understand putting down the second greatest run in ACC history behind FSU.

I think Clemson is headed down the right path, and TB is improving as a head coach (25-12 over the past 3 years versus 44-29 over his first 6).

I'm just one of those people who think we can celebrate the past (not tear it down), while building for the future.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with you, bengal. The problem is the past is over

Nov 27, 2007, 10:53 AM

romanticised in some minds. I was there during those great runs too. But what we have now is approaching that level. It would be a dang shame to screw it up.

In 1977

Nov 27, 2007, 10:30 AM

we finished 8-3 by beating a SC team in the last seconds in WB Stadium. We got spanked by Pittsburg in the Gator Bowl.

We had a slew of starters coming back for 1978, including an all acc sr. qb/reciever and a stout defense. The next year we finished 10-1-1, sent a coaching legend packing and finished #6 in the country.

I see this team setting up the same way as 1978. The big difference is that we have banked some great players as redshirts and have a very solid recruiting class in the wings.

I too, look for good things in 2008.

In 1977

Nov 27, 2007, 10:32 AM

Tnet would have looked the same as it does tday. IF Al Gore had been a little faster.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

well, Clemson didn't send Pell packing. He left very

Nov 27, 2007, 10:34 AM [ in reply to In 1977 ]

unexpectedly. That whole story is spelled out in Jim Phillips' book.

Point taken though, and I concur.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: well, Clemson didn't send Pell packing. He left very

Nov 27, 2007, 10:37 AM

I think he means Woody Hayes was sent packing after the 1978 Gator Bowl incident by him. And just to be accurate, we were 11-1 in 1978 with only a 12-0 loss to UGA early in the season. Also were ACC Champs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ah, okay. I need another cup of coffee***

Nov 27, 2007, 10:44 AM

Big difference between leaving and run off***

Nov 27, 2007, 10:47 AM [ in reply to well, Clemson didn't send Pell packing. He left very ]

R-U-N-O-F-T***

Nov 27, 2007, 10:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

2001 and 2004

Nov 27, 2007, 10:34 AM

Will prevent me from being excited about Clemson football until after Bowden proves he can win a championship.

Agreed.***

Nov 27, 2007, 5:56 PM

Re: It's time to face some realities

Nov 27, 2007, 10:38 AM

Amen and amen!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what about those of us between 25 and 30?***

Nov 27, 2007, 10:39 AM

Amen!***

Nov 27, 2007, 10:41 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Well Spoken***

Nov 27, 2007, 10:45 AM

I've never been so excited about Clemson football either...

Nov 27, 2007, 10:56 AM

beginning with our bowl in a few weeks and going through January 2009, I expect us to be 14 - 0.

Best Post I've read in a long long time!***

Nov 27, 2007, 12:13 PM

So what happens if we get blown out in our bowl game?

Nov 27, 2007, 5:55 PM

(Serious Question btw)

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic