Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Message from the Mayor's Office...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

A Message from the Mayor's Office...

Oct 8, 2004, 8:18 AM

My Fellow Tigernetters,

These are very difficult times. There is no other way to say it. As fans it is almost the worst-case scenario we can imagine. 1-4. After all the hype, after the amazing finish last year, after the off-season work, and the season appears nearly lost. A bowl seems unlikely and a winning season is even in doubt. The team has fallen FAR short of expectations. We indeed face difficult times. Why are they so difficult you ask? Is it because the offensive line performance is poor? No. Is it because Charlie has struggled so much this season? No. Is it because our coaches don’t seem to know why we have the problems or how to fix them? No. The reason it is so difficult is… we love our Tigers. It is as simple as that. We eat, sleep and breathe our Tigers. It is a special bond for fans and a truly special bond for alums. But as this difficult season reaches the mid-point we need to keep some things in mind and keep some things in perspective.

One. I’m not here to tell you you can’t be disappointed, or that we can’t discuss what ifs or why’s. That is human nature. Tommy himself said last year, that we had EVERY right to be upset and disappointed after the Wake game. He is a head coach at a big time program with high expectations and he knows what the risks and rewards are. Remember, he’s seen his FATHER burned in effigy. Have any of us ever seen that? Doubt it. So my point is, we can discuss this up one side and down the other and there is nothing wrong with that. We deserve a better team, I know it and you know. But more than that, Terry Don Phillips knows it. Tommy Bowden knows it. Most of the players and coaches know it. So let’s do a few things. Let’s make sure we are having ‘discussion’ and not randomly bashing coaches and players. Let’s also keep in mind that the problems we are facing were not solely created over the last 6 years, but ever since that fateful day when Danny was pushed away.

Speaking of Danny, let’s get that out of the way too. He’s not coming back. Don’t call for it, don’t demand it, don’t fool yourself into thinking it will ever happen. Programs move forward, not backward. Danny’s accomplishments are well recorded and well remembered. Move on.

Now, back to the issues at hand. They were not created in the last 6 years. Yes, Tommy is ultimately responsible for this team, but if anyone saw the last Orange and White, we are sorely lacking in facilities and nearly EVERY TEAM in the ACC has spent more on football lately than we have. Kids these days don’t even REMEMBER the ‘glory’ days. They want coaches they trust, winning programs and 4 star facilities. We can’t give them all of that yet.

Recruiting. Wins bring recruits. We’ve already seen that. After ‘The Finish’ last year we didn’t see much impact, but already for THIS year we have 8 verbals and some of the top talent in SC. We must build on momentum to keep and continue to get good recruits. Nearly every ACC program has out recruited us. Now some of that falls on Tommy and the coaches… but if you think that is the only reason we struggle, see the paragraph above.

Coaching problems. We pay Terry Don to take care of coaching issues. Let him. I know we all want changes based on performance, but you know what, there is no voting button on The Tigernet that makes any difference concerning who our coaches are. So discuss all you want, but bashing for the sack of it, or to make yourself sound like a know it all coach (and you KNOW who you are) is stupid and hurts the program whether your sun baked, high school practice field brain can comprehend it or not.

Money problems. We don’t have new facilities and you know what? They cost a lot of money. So if you make statements like “I’m not giving Clemson or IPTAY another dime until… (insert phrase here like, “we win 10 games” or “Bowden is gone”) guess what? YOU are as big a part of the problem as any coach or player. Money talks.

Another thought. Tiger fans… get your skin thickened up. This is going to be a tough year for us. We are going to be beset, on all sides by our foes, posers, trolls and idiots. And you know what? What do you expect? We’re 1-4 with no improvement in sight. And that, my fellow Tigernetters brings out the morons. Just keep this in mind. Most are NOT Tiger fans. As I’ve said, we can discuss, we can even argue with each other, but there will be people who here are stupid, inarticulate, baiting and who believe that they know more than any coach to ever step on the field anywhere. Ignore them if you can. Let it go. It will be UGLY here for most of this season I’m afraid. Be a true Tiger. Let those people blather and rage on their own. Don’t fuel the fire, fan the flame or feed the trolls. Take our medicine like men and get ready for the next game as fans.

Here’s another thought. Before you hit the Roar button, go back and read what you just posted, and read it three times. And ask yourself these questions:

1. Is my post helping or hurting?
2. Would I want a recruit, player, my child or a parent to read that?
3. What is my ultimate objective for posting these words?

Tigers, like it or not, players, recruits, media and even other coaches read this site. This isn’t an opinion; it is a fact, proven time and time again by the comments of players and coaches. If you are providing comments that could hurt this program YOU are part of the problem as much as poor blocking or poor tackling. Now I’m not saying strap on the Orange Tinted Glasses and sing ‘High Hopes’ because, like Tommy said, we have a right to be upset. But let’s be Tigers, adults (if you are one) and respectful. Remember Geoff Rigsby’s post on here about the support and comfort he got from our posts here telling him we were behind him? How can you believe your words here don’t have an impact? So consider what you say. Like a great Tigernetter, Rev Dodd said…”We’re Clemson. We’re better than that.”

Finally, support is a wonderful concept. It bends like a willow; flows like water and can shake the foundations of a program like an earthquake. If fans here want to show support and make a difference there are two things and ONLY two things you can do (and neither of them include acting like an idiot on Tigernet).

1. Money. Our program needs to spend money. You can give it or you can stop giving. Guess which one helps our program?
2. Support the team. Be there. Be loud. Be strong. Be Tigers.

Because remember, no matter what you see or hear, there are young men on this team (and every Clemson team for that matter) who love this university as much as you or I. They have given to the University in a way you and I probably never have. They hurt much more than we do on Saturday night and Monday morning. The one thing we can do is put on our orange, go to Death Valley and show these young men (and women) that we appreciate their work and sacrifice and for the ones who make the supreme effort, and those who leave everything on the field, and those who are visibly hurt by a loss… we feel their pain and we support them 100% and that we have been, are now, and will forever be… ONE CLEMSON

Where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness;
Where the Tigers play;
Here the sons of dear Old Clemson,
Reign supreme alway.

We will dream of great conquests
For our past is grand,
And her sons have fought and conquered
Every foreign land.

Where the mountains smile in grandeur
O'er the hill and dale
Here the Tiger lair is nestling
Swept by storm and gale.

We are brothers strong in manhood
For we work and strive;
And our Alma Mater reigneth
Forever in our lives.

Chorus
Dear Ol' Clemson, we will triumph
And with all our might,
That the Tiger's roar may echo
O'er the mountain height.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. This needs to be on the front page rest of the season***

Oct 8, 2004, 8:23 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah...What STERLING said...******

Oct 8, 2004, 8:27 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Outstanding post***

Oct 8, 2004, 8:27 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Poor recruiting, mediocre coaching. The facilities argument

Oct 8, 2004, 8:29 AM

is crap. It is a crutch for Tommy to lean on. Isn't IPTAY one of the biggest alumni associations in the country? I think they generate plenty of $ to win a few games. No one wants excuses when you're losing.

Do you get the Orange and White? Can you read?

Oct 8, 2004, 8:32 AM

True the coaches and players need to step up, but if you think facilities don't matter to recruits you are a moron, plan and simple.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not exactly what I said, is it? Sure, facilities

Oct 8, 2004, 8:39 AM

matter, but that does not explain or excuse our poor performance on the field. We had the same facilities when we went 9-4 last year.

No, but it matters more that we all probably wanted to admit

Oct 8, 2004, 8:41 AM

UVA has recruited like GANG busters... in 3 years they'll have 15 players form this team in the NFL. We may have 3. It matters and facilities matter to recruits

Re: Do you get the Orange and White? Can you read?

Oct 8, 2004, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Do you get the Orange and White? Can you read? ]

Yeah and the whole West Endzone thing will only bring Clemson up to average with the rest of the country. They have fallen that far behind.

That is why whatever we do has to be MUCH better than

Oct 8, 2004, 9:10 AM

everyone else... we can't do NOTHING... the WEZ will be the cornerstone and from their we can never be complacent again... facilities must be improving always... regardless of who is coach, AD or University Pres

Re: That is why whatever we do has to be MUCH better than

Oct 8, 2004, 9:16 AM

Yeah and the whole West Endzone thing will only bring Clemson up to average with the rest of the country. They have fallen that far behind.

Great so what is your answer. We don't bother? Jesus.....***

Oct 8, 2004, 9:17 AM

Re: Great so what is your answer. We don't bother? Jesus....

Oct 8, 2004, 9:51 AM

They better do more than just improve the West End Zone.

I agree, but they have to START improving SOMETHING

Oct 8, 2004, 9:52 AM

then keep going year after year. That is all I'm saying.

Re: Poor recruiting, mediocre coaching. The facilities argument

Oct 8, 2004, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Poor recruiting, mediocre coaching. The facilities argument ]

Danny had worse "facilities" and won the national championship as we all know

When Danny was here our facilities were considered some of

Oct 8, 2004, 8:33 AM

the best in the nation... that was 20 years ago. We have the same facilities. Do you get it?

Re: When Danny was here our facilities were considered some of

Oct 8, 2004, 8:38 AM

A good Coach can bring out the best in any team. Just look at Bill Parcells. Most every where he goes he finds a way to make a winner out of a team

Yeah Bill Parcells, good comparison***

Oct 8, 2004, 8:39 AM

How about Jim Grobe?***

Oct 8, 2004, 8:40 AM

Now that I agree with 100% Grobe gets everything he can

Oct 8, 2004, 8:44 AM

out of his players and runs a great scheme for the talent he has. We need Wake's oline coach or someone like him.

See, THIS is what I was talking about though. We're having a discussion about the problems like adults. Look I'm pissed and disappointed, but attacking each other ain't gonna help

I enjoy talking about what we need, what we'd like to see... but in the end my support for the team NEVER EVER slows

well

Oct 8, 2004, 8:46 AM [ in reply to How about Jim Grobe?*** ]

while were on facilities, every other acc school has done SOMETHING:

Wake Forest Scores With "Touchdown 2000"

Bridger Field House

The Wake Forest football program is prepared for the future and future success because of "Touchdown 2000", a major fund-raising drive that has made possible a dramatic enhancement of the Groves Stadium complex.

Through "Touchdown 2000 -- The Drive for Wake Forest Football" a new Bridger Field House has been constructed at the stadium, replacing the previously existing field house which had served the facility for nearly three decades. This new structure, built at a cost of $8 million, will serve the football team in numerous ways and be a major catalyst for the continued growth and development of the overall program.

Ground-breaking for the structure took place on June 28, 1996. The football portion of the building is scheduled to be available for this year's opening game with Northwestern, with completion of the second and third floor areas following later this fall.

The new Bridger Field House was made possible through the generous support of Deacon Club members and other loyal Wake Forest supporters, whose response to the fund-raising appeal was nothing short of phenomenal.

In fact, with the original $7.5 million goal achieved, Wake Forest now has the opportunity to reach beyond the Fieldhouse to make other improvements to Groves Stadium and other athletic facilities with "The Point After" Touchdown 2000 phase of the capital campaign.

Actually, the entire Wake Forest athletic program will benefit from this beautiful facility alone, for it includes offices for the athletic ticket office, marketing and promotions staff and Deacon Club, as well as a club meeting/banquet room that will be the site of athletic (and general university) functions for years to come.

The WFU Hall of Fame will also have its new home in the complex, and a Deacon Gift Shop will be included to service WFU fans not only during home contests but throughout the calendar year.

The primary focus of the new building, however, is obviously Demon Deacon Football.

"We are building a football program the right way and want to insure that when our program reaches the highest level that we keep it there," WFU director of athletics Ron Wellman says. "This facility is an important part of that process and a vital step we need to make in order to allow our football program to be successful."

A spacious team locker room and new dressing area for visiting teams, a modern sports medicine unit, team and coaching staff meeting rooms--all are part of the facility.

The complex will also provide a wonderful setting for prospective student-athletes as they visit Wake Forest to learn more about the program. Former Demon Deacon players can also share in this new facility, which will host Varsity Club activities and other related functions surrounding home contests.

Activities will include food service for Deacon Club donors, alumni and friends in a second-floor "club room" and "sports lounge" named for two Wake Forest greats--Norman Snead and Billy Ray Barnes.

Former Deacon players were actively involved in supporting the new facility financially as well. One major gift was made by former Wake standout wide receiver Ricky Proehl, the second-leading receiver in ACC history and now a member of the Chicago Bears, who committed $100,000 to the effort.

"This new complex will make a statement to prospective student-athletes that Wake Forest is committed to a successful football program," Proehl says. "Any former player will gain a great feeling of satisfaction in knowing that he contributed to the future success of the Deacons by being part of this effort."

Another former Deac, Dave Harris, an all-Southern Conference player at Wake Forest in the 1940s and a member of the WFU Hall of Fame, served as chairman of the advisory board for "Touchdown 2000".

Head coach Jim Caldwell is, of course, equally excited about the opportunities that the new facility will bring to his program.

"We have expanded our facilities on campus with a new weightroom, equipment and sports medicine areas for our football team. Now we will have taken another major step forward by improving our facility at Groves Stadium," Caldwell says.

GO TIGERS

Relative to competition at the time Danny had top facilities

Oct 8, 2004, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Poor recruiting, mediocre coaching. The facilities argument ]

when he took over in early 80's because of spending in the 70's. Danny saw us slipping behind and made the argument to upgrade in 1990 and lost a pissing batch with Lennon and BoT. Facilities is an issue whether you want to believe it or not but is not the only problem for sure.

What were you saying last year?

Oct 8, 2004, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Poor recruiting, mediocre coaching. The facilities argument ]

One doesn't just 'forget' how to coach. Your 'excuses' are a rational persons 'reasons'.

Honestly, I think last year was the fluke...not this year***

Oct 8, 2004, 8:41 AM

Interesting...

Oct 8, 2004, 8:50 AM

you're more willing to believe the negative than the positive... you're not a woman are you?
(ever try to give your woman a compliment? they never accept it, say one little negative thing and they seize ahold of it like a drowning man clutching a life raft)

did you read the post?

Oct 8, 2004, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Poor recruiting, mediocre coaching. The facilities argument ]

it wasnt making excuses, although facilities are a serious problem!

In one ear and out the other....

GO TIGERS

Did you read my post? I wasn't attacking the almighty

Oct 8, 2004, 8:45 AM

terdling. What I was saying is that Tommy has made it well known about his concern over facilities. I, as a Tiger fan, don't want to hear it again and again, when we are obviously being out played and out coached.

You need to reread the post...

Oct 8, 2004, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Poor recruiting, mediocre coaching. The facilities argument ]

Reading comprehension=the act or fact of GRASPING the meaning, nature, or IMPORTANCE of what is read.

And always remember, a Tiger on his worst day is always

Oct 8, 2004, 8:31 AM

better than a coot on his best day. Good job, Mr. Mayor.

HOF

Oct 8, 2004, 8:31 AM

What idiot thumbed this down?!

GO TIGERS

EVERYBODY needs to read this.......***

Sterling, you are a true Tiger. A legend in your own time.***

or mind, depending on how you look at it

Oct 8, 2004, 8:40 AM

;)

...know what, you get it. Great post!***

Oct 8, 2004, 8:51 AM

TRADITION
"If you're going to give me 110 percent, you can rub my rock. If you're not, keep your filthy hands off of it." Coach Howard - 1967

Very nice post! Go Tigers!***

Oct 8, 2004, 8:52 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OUTSTANDING! Thank you for saying what needed to be said****

Oct 8, 2004, 9:09 AM

Re: A Message from the Mayor's Office...

Oct 8, 2004, 9:57 AM

Overall, a very inciteful post. I agree that money and facilities are paramount, and there is a direct correlation between those items and recruiting. For whatever reason, we don't have the talent this year to compete in our division, much less the league. Now, it's easy for me to post this now, but I have been preaching to my fellow Clemson fans all summer that 7 wins this year would be a phenomenal achievement for this team. Our schedule is brutal, and I honestly was prepared for a 2-3 start to our season. The Tech give-away was devastating, but, realistically, Wake would have beaten us if they had continued to run the ball in the second half. In my view, our losing season was solidified in the first half of that game. Our O-line is just not that good, and it's become apparent that Defensive coordinators everywhere have figured out the "no-huddle", Tulane spread sets we run.
Lest anyone think that I'm some kind of visiting flamethrower, let me say that I am a lifelong Clemson fan, having sat on the hill at my first Clemson game about 35 years ago. I contribute to IPTAY and have been attending games as much as I can for years. If I'm not there, I'm definitely watching on TV or listening on the radio. I love Clemson - WIN or LOSE! It's just that I can be objective about them as a team, and I can handle the fact that we just aren't as good as six or more teams on our schedule this year. That's OK. I'll be there next week to enjoy our beautiful campus at Homecoming.
GO TIGERS!!

Excellent Mayor! Excellent! Yours is the sane and soothing

Oct 8, 2004, 10:14 AM

voice of reason. Thank you.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic