Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Vernon
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 761

Vernon

Mar 22, 2007, 1:12 PM

I simply cannot understand the ongoing criticism of Vernon Hamilton by Tiger fans on this board.

Given the state of Clemson hoops over the past 4-5 years, what Vern has given us so far outweighs any negatives that anything but admiration is hard to fathom.

Who has EVER played harder or with more energy for Clemson than Vernon Hamilton.

After four years, it is no secret that Vern has certain deficiencies on both ends of the court.

Well, guess what ... if Vern were 6'3" and shot 80% from the line, he would be playing somewhere else.

We got him mainly because he WAS 6-foot-nothing, a hundred-and-nothing and played with more heart than talent.

IMO Vern should see nothing but praise from Clemson fans at this point in his career ... especially after stepping to the FT line last night and sealing the win doing exactly what Jim Boeheim and Syracuse thought he could not do.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Vernon

Mar 22, 2007, 1:14 PM

not to mention, he will be the Clemson career steals leader probably until the end of time...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Vernon

Mar 22, 2007, 1:17 PM

agree 100%, he has been the spark plug that has kept this team going at times. He has made big plays, and like any player, has made his share of mistakes. He has to be commended for his hard work, leadership, and effort on the court. I am thrilled to see him get the opportunity to play in MSG, he deserves it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Below we were talking about what we need to get better

Mar 22, 2007, 1:17 PM

and that wasn't meant as a slam to anyone. Apologize if it came across as that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never understood that rationale

Mar 22, 2007, 1:44 PM

"If Vernon were 6'3 and shot 80% Free Throws he would be playing somewhere else"

Umm, no...he's simply not as talented as other players is the reason he's not playing somewhere else. One of the most heralded point guards in the nation is Mike Conley, Jr. of Ohio State. He is 6'1, 180 and shoots 67.5% from the FT line. DJ Augustin of Texas is another heralded freshman and he is 5'11.

Listen, I know Vernon gave his heart out and all, but the reason he is at Clemson is because he isn't talented enough to be a top PG for a top 10 team, and a few more inches and better FT% isn't going to change that

If...

Mar 22, 2007, 1:53 PM

If I was 6'5 240 I could play WR for USC and run the 40 in 4.3.

Clemson football isn't fancy. Clemson football is having a good kicking game, winning with the kicking game, hit you on defense, don't turn the ball over and be able to control the ball.
-Danny Ford

Re: I never understood that rationale

Mar 22, 2007, 1:55 PM [ in reply to I never understood that rationale ]

Ahem ... shooting 80% from the line is a sign of talent.

It is an established fact that Vern is not as talented as some other PGs. That is not the debate. the debate is whether he should be subject to criticism because he is not as talented.

I can almost guarantee you that a guy with Vern's other abilities who is money from the line and the same height as most blue chip PGs is someone who does not sign with Clemson under Larry Shyatt.

We are lucky to have had Vern for four years and harping on his deficiencies rather than praising his contributions is no appropriate at the end of his career.

Mar 22, 2007, 2:13 PM

You're missing my point...I'm not "ragging" on Vernon, I simply am pointing out the absurdity of your assertion (any many others on here) that all things equal, if Vernon shot 80% from the line he would be at a better program

Mar 22, 2007, 2:20 PM

Vern plays very competitive ball in the ACC at 5'11" and shooting under 50% from the line. He's a leader, he is tough, and he plays very, very hard.

With all his positive attributes, if he were 6'3" and 80% from the line, he would have been recruited by and signed by a better school than Clemson.

Not sure why that is such a difficult concept.

Anyway, that is my opinion.

Mar 22, 2007, 2:15 PM [ in reply to I never understood that rationale ]

maybe you can fill us in on that clemson/cuse line again. lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and don't forget about the time he scored 5 pts in 0.6 secs!***

Mar 22, 2007, 1:49 PM

Speaking of If...

Mar 22, 2007, 2:20 PM

WHAT IF....

Vernon was a great free throw shooter and made better decisions on the offensive end, but couldn't defend all that well and was a liability on D? Would you be just as down on him? I have been told all my life that Defense is more important in sports. Well Clemson has never seen a better defensive players statistically. So which is better?

Clemson football isn't fancy. Clemson football is having a good kicking game, winning with the kicking game, hit you on defense, don't turn the ball over and be able to control the ball.
-Danny Ford

Replies: 11
| visibility 761
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic