Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
By all means we should have declined an NIT bid
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 867

By all means we should have declined an NIT bid

Mar 13, 2007, 9:54 PM

It is definitely "embarassing" given our long tradition of postseason success. Oh wait in roughly a century of playing basketball, Clemson has ONLY made 20 postseason appearances prior to this year (7 NCAA and 13 NIT). That means this season ranks as one of the most successful in Clemson basketball history.

By some of your assertions we should definitely decline bids to the Humanitarian and Music City Bowls then. Now I am not insinuating that anyone was happy with those bowls or looking to get into another Bowden argument but going to those bowls is more "embarassing" than going to the NIT. Out of 336 Division I schools, only 97 receive postseason tournament bids (28.9%). Out of 119 Division IA football schools a ridiculous 64 receive bowl bids (53.8%). By that criteria going to a bottom tier bowl game is much more "embarassing" if by "embarassing" you mean being in the bottom tier of your peer group of schools.

Yet I don't recall anyone advocating rejecting the Music City Bowl bid. Nor should anyone have. The extra month of practice time benefits younger players and players should get the opportunity to play in a bowl game if they earn a bid.

Why should we then reject an NIT bid after a long history of basketball mediocrity? I am as disappointed as anyone about going to the NIT after the 17-0 start, but basketball wise posters like myself cautioned to temper expectations earlier in the season because of our weak non-conference schedule and were blasted. The fact of the matter is that the team is improving and yes even an NIT bid is an accomplishment given the history of Clemson basketball.

Playing in the NIT is what you make of it. If the players approach it as an opportunity then they gain experience playing in a one and done tournament and if they advance to the Final Four play in front of a large crowd at a neutral court in Madison Square Garden. Experiences like those translate well to a hopeful NCAA bid next season.

If you would rather go to a baseball game than the basketball game that is fine. If you are disappointed in the outcome of the basketball season that is great. Low expectations breed mediocrity. But to not support this team and blast them as "embarassing" for being in the NIT is classless. Those players are STUDENT ATHLETES and play for the school that is either your alma mater or one that you claim to be a fan of. If you like to turn your back on Clemson sports teams in bad times then I suggest you find a new school to follow. There is a school down the road in Columbia with a fan base that you would fit right in with.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: By all means we should have declined an NIT bid

Mar 13, 2007, 11:36 PM

articulate and well said...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed & many NIT 1/2 seeds were trick F*cked by the NCAA

Mar 13, 2007, 11:59 PM

and are better teams than 4-5 of the at large NCAA teams and at least 4 of the "so-called" Conference Champs. The champ of the Mid-American Parapallegic Conference would not even go .333 in the ACC

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 867
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic