Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Enough is enough
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 926

Enough is enough

Oct 2, 2005, 4:51 PM

I've got a lot of things to get off my chest.

I'm going to be blunt and frank about my feelings; not just about Clemson football, but about the fandom and the attitudes and actions I've witnessed in the three years I've been a part of this board.

If you haven't picked up the tone, this will be my last post on Tiger Board.

Now I know what a lot of you are thinking. Big loss! Who cares? Don't let the gate hit you in the butt on the way out! I'm not writing this with the expectation that I'll be hailed or remembered. Fact is, I'm a faceless nobody in the context of a message board. I'm just another fan posting whatever I feel like beneath the safety net of a screen name. There's nothing special about me. I'm part of this community for the simple reason that I love our Clemson Tigers and support them in every way possible.

Or at least I thought so.

I'm disgusted right now. For a multitude of reasons. The shock is just now sinking into my brain that (1) we lost to Wake Forest, (2) we're staring down the barrel of a three-game losing streak, (3) all three of our defeats could have been thrilling victories, and (4) the cardiac attack is very likely not over yet. We can't take anyone lightly anymore. Not this year, at least.

It's not the losses that hurt me. I can live with those. They're as much a part of sports as the wins. What hurts is the ways in which we lose. Looking back and bemoaning that one missed first down, bungled blocking assignment, or field goal that should've been a touchdown. The kids and the coaches can literally taste victory in front of them, and then it's gone. Though I'm of the school that doesn't believe in one-play wins or losses. I believe it's the whole game that decides the outcome. Yes, it's easy to look back at that one play, but you have to take into consideration the plays that got you there. Games last 60 minutes, not eight seconds or whistle-length.

I gaze down at our players in the Valley, and I see the impact this has on them. Some don't show it as much, but the signs are present. Hands on hips, shoulders sagging, trudging off the field, heads draped in towels on the bench. Losing back-to-back games in a close fashion wears on you. I can't fathom being in their position and then somehow digging deep and finding the strength to go back on the field and strike back. When you try to rally from a deficit, all the strategy and skill in the world won't be enough to do it. You have to have the mental fortitude to BELIEVE you can pull it off. And our boys have it. I don't believe, based on the way they have responded when the going gets tough, that there's any doubt in their minds they can still go out and claim the win. That's why it hurts when they don't; because it was right there, and they believed they could ###### it.

I love our Tigers. I love our coaching staff. And yes, I love Tommy Bowden, too. That's your cue to tune me out if you haven't already. But I stand by our young men and their head coach, and I'm not going to apologize for it. I'm not going to make my love fickle and start breathing fire down their necks every time I get frustrated with them. Of course I still get mad, yell and shout out in protest, and second-guess some of the decisions that are made. What fan doesn't? But when all is said and done, a fan is all I really am. There's a reason Tommy's on the sidelines with a clipboard in hand, and I'm sitting up in the stands watching. Big difference.

So yeah, I'm frustrated and disappointed for our team right now. But you know what's really getting to me? The fans.

I'm disgusted with lots of people on this message board. I don't care what the circumstances are, whether we lost to Wake Forest or Long Beach State or even Buffalo (Lord willing that will never happen). If you come onto this board and start crying for Tommy's head, I say SHAME on you. If you come in here and start in with your doomsday predictions based on one loss, shame on you too. There's nothing wrong with harmless speculation, but that's just ridiculous. You call that fan support? Good grief. What do you think will happen? That Terry Don Phillips will sit down and read these rants, and then say, "Oh my gosh they're right! How could I not see this? I'd better give Tommy the boot and hire back Danny Ford right now!" (I'm embarrassed to be typing this...)

Listen, folks. Accept the fact that Tommy Bowden is here to stay. Forget the past. Danny Ford is yesterday's news. That's not in any way a slam against Danny as a human being, but it's long past time to move on. Tommy Bowden is the present. And we are not in a position to change that. TDP is going to do what he feels is best for the program, and right now, he feels Tommy has the ship going in the right direction. Like the saying goes, sometimes it's darkest just before dawn. You can't get to the sunlight without facing a few storms on the way.

Now I know not everyone is like this. The people that I describe hardly constitute a notable percentage of the Tiger faithful. There are some genuinely great, hearty souls on this board, people who know how to see the big picture and accept defeat graciously instead of moaning and groaning like infants. I'm thankul they're around. But the sheer ignorance and stupidity of the other side of this board has finally exceeded my tolerance levels. It brings me down to read such crap, and it makes a loss even more difficult to swallow.

I'm about done venting, I promise. But these are my true and honest feelings right now. If you're a Clemson fan, act like it. Cheer on our Tigers rain or shine, win or lose, blowout or nail-biter. Get behind our players who lay it all on the gridiron and believe they can get the job done no matter what the score is. Get behind our coaching staff who is NOT here to screw over the players and fans, but to coach this team to victories, an ACC title, and ultimately a national championship. If you think they have an ulterior motive that runs contrary to that, you need to seriously re-examine your priorities.

In closing, I love Clemson and I will bleed solid orange until the day I die (though I might have some purple in there somewhere). But I can find other ways to support them. I thought this message board might be one of them. But I guess I was mistaken. So take care of yourselves.

Signing off...

GO TIGERS!
~ TigerMascot25

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bravo***

Oct 2, 2005, 4:53 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes?

Oct 2, 2005, 4:54 PM

;)

2008_pickem_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HOF***

Oct 2, 2005, 5:02 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Although I admire your passion for the Tigers...............

Oct 2, 2005, 5:03 PM

The Orange Colored Glasses need to be tucked away.

If you care about our players and the program, then you will want the best coach possible for them.

Tommy, I believe, is a good man, but he is a mediocre coach at best. With Tommy Bowden, we can consistently look at 7-4 seasons or worse.

Is that good enough for you?

Will you get your "R" before you quit?***

Oct 2, 2005, 5:04 PM

That R don't mean crap, why don't you get orange

Oct 2, 2005, 5:05 PM

null

Message was edited by: JJansenTiger®

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Felt like that for the last 5-7 years. It's time for results***

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: Enough is enough

To win an ACC title, and a National Championship. Wake up look at the record every year. Look at the young men playing their hearts out. They have been to the brink of winng all 3 losses. But we are 2-3 now, because of the bonehead calls by the coaches. The Head coach is responsible, nedds to take the responsibility. Quit putting it on the players. They can't convert close games to wins with the play calling they are recieving.

Oct 3, 2005, 11:12 AM

I also take issue with Tommy always putting the blame on the players, and his seeming willingness to settle for mediocre results.

Oct 3, 2005, 11:15 AM

Like I said on the main board, if Tiger Nation is satisfied with winning 7 games every 3 - 4 years they have the right guy. If there are different expectations, then something has to change. They changed the assistant coaches last year and we have the same results. If they want to compete for the ACC championship, they don't have the right person leading the team.

HOF!!!!***

Oct 2, 2005, 5:19 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pffffffffft.***

Oct 2, 2005, 5:20 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where do I begin?

Oct 2, 2005, 5:31 PM

You say that only a small percentage of Tiger faithful want to hire another coach? Are you assuming this? Did you go to the game yesterday? Have you taken a poll?

Just because you feel this way, doesn't mean we all do. I will continue to support the team, but I will also continue to say that if titles is what you want, then I don't think Tommy is our coach, and there are quite a few of other Tiger faithful that are thinking the same thing.

Toga! Toga!***

Oct 2, 2005, 5:32 PM

not questioning his motives, but ability to do things which

Oct 2, 2005, 5:36 PM

lead to championships.

B-Bye***

Oct 2, 2005, 5:41 PM

Replies: 16