Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It was three years ago today that I lost my Papa.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,793

It was three years ago today that I lost my Papa.

Jul 4, 2015, 1:43 AM

I know I've posted this before, but I still feel the need to post it again on this day.

On July 4th, 2012, exactly three years ago today, I lost my grandfather, affectionately known as "Papa".

He was a Clemson man. He was recruited to play football by both South Carolina and Clemson. However, his dad thought that South Carolina "wanted to give too many gifts". He had offers from many colleges, but his dad thought the Clemson coaches were the most down to Earth recruiters they'd ever met; and thus, he went to Clemson.

He played for two seasons under legendary coach Frank Howard, including in the 1959 Sugar Bowl against Louisiana State University. http://imgur.com/wwKnA4j

However, family responsibilities required him to retire from college football. Even though he was no longer playing, Howard let him keep his football scholarship.

He went to just about every football game throughout the years, until his knee started giving him trouble. After multiple surgeries, doctors decided it was best to amputate his leg. Of course, he did what any Clemson man would do after a surgery like that and got himself a Clemson leg. http://imgur.com/zVNTrR4

He also loved his country and his state. He often gave money to the Wounded Warriors project throughout his life. He also served in the U.S. Army and National Guard Reserves, and served in the SC House of Representatives from 1980-1988.

His death impacted many people. Shortly after, the SC House of Representatives passed a bill in his name, which was a great honor to him and our family.

Maybe it was fitting he passed on the fourth. Maybe it was fitting that he passed on the day that honors our country, considering how much he honored it in life.

He was a patriotic man. A Clemson man. But most of all, a family man. And I miss him more than I can describe.

R.I.P. Papa. December 17, 1938-July 4, 2012

And with that, have a happy Fourth. Drive safe, y'all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was three years ago today that I lost my Papa.

Jul 4, 2015, 3:51 AM

I've seen/read many posts on this board expressing love and loss and I cherish and appreciate each on a personal level, but none have expressed a simpler, more heartfelt and more sincere understanding of what a meaningful relationship conveys to those who are, perhaps, most unsuspecting of its influence. Thank you for sharing your memories of a man who I truly believe was the "real deal". They say a Clemson Man needs no introduction, and such, indeed, was the case for your Papa.

"I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." ~ G.K. Chesterton

Thank you. That really means a ton.***

Jul 5, 2015, 6:29 PM

A fine tribute to a great man. No doubt he was proud of his

Jul 4, 2015, 6:10 AM

Grandson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^I Agree Also^^^^^***

Jul 4, 2015, 6:51 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Thanks as always, Hartins.***

Jul 5, 2015, 6:29 PM [ in reply to A fine tribute to a great man. No doubt he was proud of his ]

Great story! Thanks!

Jul 4, 2015, 11:12 AM

your grandfather was the epitome of a Clemson gentleman and a patriot.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really know how you feel.

Jul 4, 2015, 12:17 PM

Dad was Class of 1941 and he passed away 12\14\2008. He was Clemson through and through. I miss him every day, and I still see him through Mom who is 100 and was his wife for 66+ years.

Don't be afraid to express yourself regarding your Granddad. They are a part of you.

Ron

For sure. It's always rough losing someone so close to you.

Jul 5, 2015, 6:30 PM

But it also makes you really appreciate the life they had.

Re: It was three years ago today that I lost my Papa.

Jul 4, 2015, 1:37 PM

That is a great story 6317. It inspired me to post this picture of the grandfather I never had the pleasure of meeting. Thanks for making me a Tiger granddaddy!

In 1935 my grandfather, John Flowers of Camden, accepted a scholarship to play for NC State. Somehow they initially won out over Clemson and several other of the big programs in the southeast at that time. There were no national letters of intent in those days, and upon arriving in Raleigh to find a bunch of foul mouthed city boys he decided to give Frank Howard a call to see if his scholarship was still good (Frank was an assistant under Neely then). Yes it was, and with nothing holding him back he jumped on his motorcycle and headed to Tiger Town. Thank god.

As many of you know, during that time all freshman had to play for the freshman team. All sophomores and up played for the varsity team. During a game in his freshman campaign he fractured his shin so badly that it meant the end of his playing career. Similar to your story 6317, Howard came to the hospital and told my grandfather that the scholarship was still on the table even though his playing career was over. His knee was permanently injured so badly that it kept him from being in WWII. He decided it was time to start a family and get to work and later opened a Shell Gas Station in the Camden area. Thanks for paving the way for me to become a Tiger granddad. I can't wait to see you one day.

(Picture note) - My grandfather was a part of four straight, state finalist teams at Camden from 1931 to 1934. That's him on the first row in the middle as captain. He was a big guy for back then. If anyone has any family history connected to that time in Camden and at Clemson I would love to hear from you. Thanks again for sharing that 6317!

Thanks for your awesome story, Smed!***

Jul 5, 2015, 6:31 PM

Re: Thanks for your awesome story, Smed!***

Jul 5, 2015, 11:58 PM

Thx for inspiring it brother. Go Tigers. Our history is deep and rich. So proud to scream my lungs out for our boys all the time.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,793
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic