Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rumour mill: reason why USC players were suspened.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,496

Rumour mill: reason why USC players were suspened.

Jul 1, 2004, 1:38 PM

This information was given to me by a source very close to the athletic department of USC.

But from what I've heard, these suspensions have nothing to do with the players not attending class. Supposedly, the players were not attending "voluntary workouts" and were suspended for this reason alone.

It sounded strange until I looked at these facts:
1. Lou has never suspended a player for not attending class in his life.

2. A strength coach just got busted b/c he made a player run when he didn't attend "voluntary workouts".

3. Lou know's this is a make or break season, and academics are the last thing on his mind.

The question is, can a player be suspended, and not allowed to attend class (get his education) b/c he didn't attend workouts and shows up out of shape.

That seems to make voluntary workouts, not so voluntary.

Tommy seems to have taken a much better approach for our boys. "if you're out of shape, we can't let you play."

This implies that other boys wokred too hard off the field not to be rewarded with PT. on the field.

Have you ever heard? "If you don't attend voluntary workouts you can't go to class?"

That's completely idiotic! It's insane, and it shows that football is more important than education.

Nice example to be setting for an 18 yr old kid don't you think?

Any ways off my soap box.

Thank Heavens for Tommy!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football is more important than education $$$$

Jul 1, 2004, 1:52 PM

Not a flame of you directly but an indictment of the system. Given that disclaimer.
While I agree with your premise as to which is more important put your money where your mouth is. Do you give as much to the Alumni Fund as you do to IPTAY, and spend on football games. I'll admit I don't and most years have not. How many professors are making $1 million? How many football coaches have tenure? How many football players would be in college if they were 5'6" 135 lbs with a 5.7 forty time? The tail is wagging the dog because of money. How many millions did Death Valley cost to be used basically 6 times a year?

Time to get off my soap box and read the recruiting articles, yes I'm a hypocite, but so is everyone I've ever met it is a basic fault of humanity. Maybe one of our under/over paid philosophy professors can explain it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football is more important than education $$$$***

Jul 1, 2004, 1:54 PM

I agree that great atheletes are usually given PLENTY of...

Jul 1, 2004, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Football is more important than education $$$$ ]

opportunity to become students, there are still two parts to a student-athelete. Not one, not the other, but both. I understand that there is big money at stake, but at some point isn't it necessary for principle (sp?) to take precedence?

b/c if principle doesn't come into the equation, you begin skating down a slippery slope with no bottom in sight.

Fot the record, I've given more to the Clemson fund than I've ever given to IPTAY. However, I'm still young and poor so it ain't that much.

Re: Football is more important than education $$$$

Jul 1, 2004, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Football is more important than education $$$$ ]

It is to your credit that you admit your hypocracy; many of us are as guilty as you are and sadly athletics at all levels from grade school to the pros are going to "wag the dog" until we come to our senses and put things back into proper perspective.

Unfortunately, I agree with you....

Jul 1, 2004, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Football is more important than education $$$$ ]

Football players are usually given all the scholarship money they receive based on athletics, NOT academics. In other words, the university is paying for them to take classes just so they can, in return, bring in more money through their athletic performance. In essence, scholarship players are an investment. The university is a business. Morally right or not, the university expects the players that they give money to to reciprocate by doing what they need to ("voluntary" off-season workouts) in order to perform the best on the field. Therefore, if the player does not hold up his end of the bargain, then the university is basically reserving the right not to hold up their end.

I'm not saying that this is by any means right or that athletics should come before academics, but all universities are a business, and if you look at it from that vantage point, they are just making a logical business decision. All universities are guilty of this just by giving away scholarships. By the same token, students with academic scholarships are under the same rules if they do not perform. Most scholarships require the student to maintain at least a 3.0, and if the student fails to do so (perform), the scholarship is revoked.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Historic Horseshoe

Football puts WAY more into Clemson than it takes out.

Jul 1, 2004, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Football is more important than education $$$$ ]

Other than football there is NOTHING associated with Clemson University that would bring 80,000 people back to the school, four or five times a year for decades. You can say the same about most major American schools. Clemson Football has done MORE for the university in terms of recruiting good students, reinforcing alumni loyalty, encouraging community support and establishing the brand and reputation of Clemson than any other factor by a large margin. It's a mistake to assume Clemson could or would exist as the school it is today without football.

I'm not sure what anyone means with the popular tail-wagging the dog remark about colleges and football. Without football and major sports, Clemson would be a small, unknown school in rural part of South Carolina. We get much of our identify from sports. Football allows us to recruit excellent students, it helps persuade professors to come and teach, and it is HUGE in persauding old folks who attended the school DECADES ago to shell out big bucks in support of the mission of the school. Without sports, I cannot imagine who we would be.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football puts WAY more into Clemson than it takes out.

Jul 1, 2004, 6:29 PM

Clemson gives it's athletes experience that is priceless; they are extremely lucky folk!!

Amen. Enough with this contrived lamenting of so-called...

Jul 2, 2004, 2:47 AM [ in reply to Football puts WAY more into Clemson than it takes out. ]

hypocrisy.

Though I'm only a year and a half removed from my time at Clemson, my times and memories from Death Valley and road games are sweeter and more satisfying than any single moment or collection of moments from any class or academic function, and the same will be true 30 years from now.

Coach Holtz cringes over the
Coots' 29-7 defeat to Clemson

Football puts WAY more into Clemson than it takes out.

Jul 1, 2004, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Football is more important than education $$$$ ]

Other than football there is NOTHING associated with Clemson University that would bring 80,000 people back to the school, four or five times a year for decades. You can say the same about most major American schools. Clemson Football has done MORE for the university in terms of recruiting good students, reinforcing alumni loyalty, encouraging community support and establishing the brand and reputation of Clemson than any other factor by a large margin. It's a mistake to assume Clemson could or would exist as the school it is today without football.

I'm not sure what anyone means with the popular tail-wagging the dog remark about colleges and football. Without football and major sports, Clemson would be a small, unknown school in rural part of South Carolina. We get much of our identify from sports. Football allows us to recruit excellent students, it helps persuade professors to come and teach, and it is HUGE in persauding old folks who attended the school DECADES ago to shell out big bucks in support of the mission of the school. Without sports, I cannot imagine who we would be.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Notice how you can't get anyone from Louie's Chicken Shack

Jul 1, 2004, 2:00 PM

to comment on #2, particularly since they went off on Dabo last year.

Where are you Dirt Cash and your vaginal self?

-DNT

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

I can't see punishing a student athlete for anything by

Jul 1, 2004, 2:10 PM

taking away classes (or the scholarship money to take these classes)! Just doesn't make sense! That is the one area where the players should be encouraged regardless of what they do. We all know that voluntary workouts are not, if players don't attend then they will pay some price (unless it is for academic reasons).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lou just made a statement--If you skip the voluntary(?)

Jul 1, 2004, 3:19 PM

workouts, then you have to use the gasoline money we gave you for the SUV, that we gave you, to pay for summer school tuition, room and board.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what doesn't make since is why lou won't allow those players

Jul 1, 2004, 9:19 PM

to use the workout facilities. Seems like he would want them to get in shape quick.

Looks like you were dead on.***

Jul 8, 2004, 11:47 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,496
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic