Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box... but...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 3,265

I know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box... but...

May 14, 2012, 6:37 PM

If your problem is a flat tire, would you trade in your car just to fix the problem. Better yet, would you trade in your car knowing that it too has a flat tire, namely Texas?

Look, we have a problem. Lack of money, vision, direction, correction, those are symptoms of a problem, but they aren't the problem. The problem isn't the ACC schools. We spent years in this conference, won National Championships here and arguably had our happiest moments here. The problem is #### poor management, not the ACC, that is the source of the problem and trading in one car with a flat tire, for another is not going to solve anything.

If you want a change, don't email Barker about leaving the ACC. Email Barker about how you will only support an ACC with new leadership outside of the Tobacco road bias that has plagued our once relished conference.

I'm off my soap box.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Re: I know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box... but...

May 14, 2012, 6:43 PM

While the ACC's leadership is worthy of criticism, I'm not sure how much of a difference a new commissioner could make. Football is driving the revenue train in college athletics and the product that the ACC has to offer is inferior to the SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, and Pac 12. Outside of ND, there is no expansion candidate that would change this perception. As a result, the ACC dollars will continue to lag behind other conferences.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The SEC wasn't built over night...

May 14, 2012, 6:49 PM

much of their success has been built on exposure. While the SEC kept their rights and signed with two carriers CBS (only game on in the lower channels that anyone watches) and ESPN, we chained ourselves to ESPN and Swofford chained us to Raycom, the company his son works for.

Instead of having the vision to reach out to a Penn State, he reaches out to Syracuse, arguably a step back from staying the same in terms of football.

Catering to UNC and Duke differently (let's be honest, we probably wouldn't be as angry if we felt everyone was getting a fair shake... which is also why Texas would #### everyone off).

I could go one, but the point is that Swofford's only success was VT (and he didn't even want them) in a myriad of failure.

May 14, 2012, 6:54 PM

Look no offense but if we continue the way things are financially usuck is gonna pass us by like we are standing still

Look, the SEC is going to make more than us...

May 14, 2012, 7:00 PM

move or not.

And the only way to get there is to either get an offer to join, or build something long term.

1) We are not getting an offer to join the SEC. If we do, we should take it.

2) No conference that Texas has been in has ever survived. If you get rid of them, what's the appeal in the move? Keep them, and deal with Tobacco road like bias, except on steriods.

3) The ACC is a good conference with bad management. Management that can be replaced. I think most would agree that UT and OK would be cool. But I would much rather see VT, GT, UM, NC State than KU, Kansas State, etc.

Re: Look, the SEC is going to make more than us...

May 14, 2012, 11:09 PM

Swofford will retire as ACC commissioner, not fired.

This feels a lot like a push to boot Swoffy, not bolt

May 14, 2012, 7:10 PM

I'm thinking the football schools see a chance to shake up the mgmt in Greensboro and boot out Swafford and the rest of the tabacco road mafia running the ACC into the ground.

Re: This feels a lot like a push to boot Swoffy, not bolt

May 14, 2012, 9:31 PM

If this is done and the ACC gets the proper emphasis on football then IMHO we should stay UNLESS the SEc comes calling!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

New ACC managment isn't going to fix the problem

May 14, 2012, 7:51 PM

When a quarter of your conference either pays little attention (UNC, NC State, UVA) or no attention (Duke) to football in a time when football drives the financial bus in the college sports world, you are going to get left behind by association regardless of how you do on the field. If the new system goes in effect we could be 13-0 and left on the outside looking in at the SEC, Pac12, B1G, and Big XII because of our SOS and RPI simply because of the ACC and the fact that no matter how good the top is it can't escape the fact that the bottom is so horrid.

Name one other BCS conference that has a school who not only hasn't been in a bowl, but hasn't even come close in 17 years like the ACC has in Duke. Vanderbilt, playing ion a much tougher conference, has been to two in the recent past. Baylor, long the door may of the Big XII, has been to back to back bowls, and had a Heisman Trophy winner. Do you see Duke even making a bowl in the next two years? Even in the years we don't play Duke head to head we play teams that do and it affects our RPI.

Name a BCS conference that has a team riding a 3 game losing streak to a FCS program in which the games have been played within the past 10 years like Duke has to Richmond. What kind of effect do you suppose those losses have had on the RPI?

The worst thing about Duke's suckitude is the fact that they don't have to look far to find a blueprint to change their football fortunes. Wake was tired of doormat status and made a concerted effort to improve the product the put on the field. It worked....in the past 10 years out of the five NC FBS schools (Baccer Road and East Carolina) they have the second best average of wins per season behind NC State. (FWIW no NC school has a good average...NC State tops the list with 6.7 wins per year. UNC is 5.4) Thing is Duke simply doesn't care to try, and it's hurting the rest of the conference.

Changing leadership isn't going to fix what ails the ACC, although the ACC does need a change at the top.

NC State pays attention to football. They haven't

May 14, 2012, 9:12 PM

had the championships, but they pay attention. Their fans are plenty passionate. I predict they will be very good this year.

UNC was paying attention to football - that is why they hired Butch Davis. They just hired the wrong guy. Now, they probably won't pay attention to football now for a while given all that has happened.

UVA cares, they just have a hard road area and wrong coach. They were the first ACC team to beat FSU. They care however

Duke - is Duke. Somebody has to be the doormat in a conference. They help us in basketball.

The ACC is in a down spell, no doubt. The conference has potential, it just hasn't happened yet.

Take the same names and put them in a conference in the 1980's, 90's. FSU 2 titles, Miami 5 titles, Clemson 1 title, Pitt (very good in late 70's 1 title?) UNC (early 80's very strong) Ga Tech - won title in 90, Syracuse (beat the snot out of us in early 90's) Va Tech - runner up to FSU in 99. Every thing cycles. We are in a slump. It is not going to stay that way forever.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would you buy Michelin tires for a 72 pinto with...

May 14, 2012, 8:29 PM

a connecting rod sticking through the side of the block?

You wanna throw Duke, UNC, Cuse and BC out and bring in Alabama, Tennessee, LSU and UGA so that we can have conference mates that support themselves in this equal shared revenue thing?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let me tell U Y -put Michelin tires on 72 pinto with...

May 15, 2012, 10:43 PM

You picked the wrong vehicle...sounds like you bought the gas tank hype...
Just before I left for Clemson, I bought a 72 brand new and customized it..had it for 13 years, still ran good, AND looked good when I sold it, to buy a bigger vehicle. Factory German built engine with Holley carb. I spent less than 1500 dollars on it, during those 13 yrs, which included headers, clutch, carb rebuild, a battery, brakes, tires, and a great aftermarket stereo. And a 4" Tigerpaw in the back window. :) How many can say the same for having a vehicle that many yrs? Oh, and I did have Michelin tires on it, handled great with the factory rack and pinion steering. Great memories of your first car!
GO TIGERS!!!
;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, and when Texas leaves for the Pac 12

May 14, 2012, 8:32 PM

then what.

I wouldn't want to hitch my wagon to Texas. If it was bad enough for Nebraska to want to leave, that says a lot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: yeah, and when Texas leaves for the Pac 12

May 14, 2012, 10:21 PM

Texas can leave, but all the money they make from their tv contract with the Big 12 stays with the Big 12. Do any of you people read?

How are you going to FIX the ACC? We will be the lowest paid conference by far for the next several years because our contract with ESPN is back loaded. We won't see the 17 mil a year for years to come.

yeah the SEC money will be huge and the ##### will make more but how much more depends on if we staty at 12 mil per year with the ACC or bump to 22-24 mil with the B12.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't Sell Yourself Short ... You might be the brightest

May 14, 2012, 8:40 PM

crayon in the box! Your analogy about the flat tire is dead on correct.

FSU and Clemson have some leverage over the next two months. They should be playing high stakes poker in a bid to achieve a greater revenue split for football(possibly giving up some $$ for basketball) and actively campaigning for Swofford's ouster if he can't pull in ND and another Football School.

In the end Swofford can call our bluff and we should likely stay in the ACC ... stay tuned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2012, 9:01 PM

Love that...not the brightest crayon

Absolutely correct*

May 14, 2012, 9:20 PM

May 14, 2012, 9:29 PM

U have made a GREAT POST!But I just do not see anyone in the Clemson admin with the balls to get anything positive done!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it only a flat tire or is it a lemon?

May 15, 2012, 8:21 AM

I dunno...

I traded in a vehicle a few years back due to reoccurring issues with the engine.

Perfectly put...

May 15, 2012, 9:37 PM

Just exactly what I wanted to say.

May 16, 2012, 6:31 AM

Brightest Crayon?

Sharpest Bulb?

Germans Bomb Pearl Harbor?

Forget it, he's on a roll.

Replies: 20
| visibility 3,265
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic