Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I can't think of anything sadder than a fanbase that
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

I can't think of anything sadder than a fanbase that

Feb 9, 2012, 11:31 AM

feels the need to commemorate a season that included an NCAA investigation, a drug-and-alcohol addicted QB being booted from the team, and no division title. Can you?

I try not to talk too much about the coots on this board because I want to focus on my Tigers, but that 80-page booklet they're selling just reminds me why I'm fortunate to be a Clemson man.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

Re: I can't think of anything sadder than a fanbase that

Feb 9, 2012, 11:37 AM

Truer words have never been said.

Ditto but what 80 page booklet do you speak of?***

Feb 9, 2012, 12:10 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here you go.

Feb 9, 2012, 12:13 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1081788&tstart=0

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

All we got was a

Feb 9, 2012, 12:28 PM

Pepsi bottle for our undefeated home games in 1974

Weren't we undefeated at home this year?

Feb 9, 2012, 11:17 PM

Pepsi, where you at?

Re: All we got was a

Feb 10, 2012, 12:27 AM [ in reply to All we got was a ]

Still have those!
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All we got was a

Feb 10, 2012, 12:31 AM

Don't know that I would drink the Pepsi at this point though! :)

The only thing sadder is....

Feb 9, 2012, 12:32 PM

...knowing that this IS as good as it's going to get for them. That when the now-young pullets are too old for anything but chicken salad, this past year will be their high-water mark.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen, Rev.

Feb 9, 2012, 12:45 PM

Feb. 17th is just around the corner...

Feb 9, 2012, 12:50 PM

!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The only thing sadder is....

Feb 9, 2012, 2:31 PM [ in reply to The only thing sadder is.... ]

It's possible that's true, but I bet South Carolina starts off next season ranked higher than they started last season.

And the funny thing is

Feb 9, 2012, 4:30 PM

it won't matter becuase they'll still be considered irrelavent but a majority of the college football world. They were top 15-10 this entire year, yet they never got any hype or recognition about it. Why? becuase no one cares.

IIRC they started higher than us....

Feb 9, 2012, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Re: The only thing sadder is.... ]

...they year they went from No. 6 to 6-6.

I'll worry more about where we all finish.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IIRC they started higher than us....

Feb 9, 2012, 7:49 PM

We started that year unranked, don't think we were ranked until we beat Georgia. Next year we'll start around the top 10

Re: The only thing sadder is....

Feb 10, 2012, 7:33 AM [ in reply to Re: The only thing sadder is.... ]

things have never been better in columbia. after their greatest season ever, 5 coaches bolt as fast as they can, they hire a d coordinator that can not speak english, they hire a compliance director from ohio freaking state. lmao. talk about putting the fox in the coot house. and really no worries about what the ncaa might come up with. no problem with running off 5 kids already on scholarship. keep up the great work cooties.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A must for...

Feb 9, 2012, 12:36 PM

all Port-O-Let reading, ALL CRAP!

If every day for you was a day eating ####, then you'd

Feb 9, 2012, 2:21 PM

celebrate the one day of the year that ketchup came on the ####.

Don't see why it's such a big deal...

Feb 9, 2012, 3:33 PM

Looks like it's raising money for a good cause. I wouldn't buy it, but some people like that kinda stuff.

The big deal

Feb 9, 2012, 4:33 PM

is that it's ludicrous to make rings and a book for a year that they didn't really accomplish much of anything. They won 11 games and were ranked in the top ten? If you heard that about any other team in America you would assume that they had either won their division/conference or at least made it to a major bowl. They did none of these so celebrating this year with such extravagence is crazy.

You are correct.***

Feb 9, 2012, 10:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can....losing to them! What a nightmare.***

Feb 9, 2012, 4:34 PM

That's why the book "Great Moments in USuC Football History"

Feb 9, 2012, 7:02 PM

has so many blank pages.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Drobbins

Feb 9, 2012, 7:06 PM

So because we play in a conference with the best two teams in the country our season wasn't more of an accomplishment than teams we had a better season than?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: Drobbins

Feb 9, 2012, 7:13 PM

Did you play either of those two teams or did you get beaten at home by another western division powerhouse. I can't believe you're not even the least bit embarrassed about this.

Feb 9, 2012, 8:02 PM

The greatest season of my lifetime, we beat Nebraska to win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, Take that 09

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its all they have...You don't remember how they acted....

Feb 10, 2012, 2:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Drobbins ]

after "Back to Back Outback Bowl Wins!!!?" Or their Back to Back NIT "National" Championships? LMAO

Feb 9, 2012, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Drobbins ]

First of all you spelled my name wrong, not suprising. Secondly what does it matter that the two best teams in the country, which is arguable by the way, are in your conference? You didn't play them so why are you claiming their membership as significant? If anything you should have been more proud of last year because at least you went to the SECCG for the first time.

You don't understand...It doesn't matter who is in your...

Feb 10, 2012, 2:48 AM [ in reply to Drobbins ]

conference. It doesn't matter if its Michigan, Bama, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Southern Cal. Until you can beat them, you are not a Champion. South Carolina is not nor has ever been a Champion. If you're gonna pump your conference and ride its coat tails, then stop using it as a crutch.

Feb 9, 2012, 7:18 PM

Why would I be embarrassed about having the greatest season of my lifetime?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mockery is the greatest form of flattery

Feb 9, 2012, 8:05 PM

Mockery is the greatest form of flattery

Then SCAR fans should be extremely flattered because...

Feb 10, 2012, 2:56 AM

they have been mocked by most of the Southeast for over a century.

BTW, the line is "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Nice try though.

Drobins

Feb 10, 2012, 1:11 AM

You are ignoring my question.

We did not win the SEC but that is irrelevant for the rings and whatever the commemorative they have put together.

Why does the fact we didn't win our conference take away from the fact we were a top ten team?

Would we honestly have been a better team if we were one of three teams who won their conference but finished outside of the top ten?

Obviously not as we had the better season.

Please show me another top 10 team that did not...

Feb 10, 2012, 2:59 AM

Win a conference or national championship and still gave out rings in the history of college football.

THAT is why its ridiculous. This isn't rocket science.

At least you got my name right this time

Feb 10, 2012, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Drobins ]

But besides that, your first post started off with you talking about LSU and Bama as if them being in your conference has anything to do with your season as you avoided both of them.

But besides that, seasons are judged by what you accomplished in them. If you are a school with any sort of pride in your program then your goals are to win your division and then try to win your conference. If you are one of the better teams in your division/conference, then you will accept nothing less then this.

Like it or not SC was one of the two good schools in the SEC east. You avoided Bama and LSU and your schedule lined up PERFECTLY for you to repeat as SEC east champs AND YOU DIDN'T GET IT DONE!

Winning 11 games is a great achievement and you should be proud that you reached it but if you are telling me that you are not at all disappointed by the fact that you failed to beat out UGA for your division then in all honesty you are perpetuating the stereotype that you have the "Little Brother syndrome"

At Clemson we have a high standard for our team. We want to win our division and conference EVERY year and if we don't then we are upset. If it doesn't happen soon then we demand a change either in the coaching our admin. Why? Because that is the standard that we hold our team to!

If you can honestly tell me that oyu wouldn't have rathered won the SEC and been outside of the top 10 rather than win most of your games, be in the top 10, and yet remain IRRELEVANT to the country on a whole then I'm done talking to you as you seem to have little pride in your school.

Remember this rankings, as the BCS shows, is not always an accurate way to judge a team. It's based on people's OPINONS not always facts. If you really think that SC wouldn't have gotten it's behind handed to it a many a team ranked lower than them then you're dilusional.

Fact is if you were like us and unranked in the preseason do you really think that you would be top 10 right now? Answer is no. Why? Because you didn't play and beat anyone of worth this year except Clemson and UGA. Presason rankings are big reason you were ranked high at the end of the year as you were.

Feb 10, 2012, 4:00 AM

1. So we may not be champions but we were better than the champions of three BCS conferences. Isn't football about being the best team possible ?

2. Lots of teams give out bowl rings. I remember seeing one of Cullen Haper's being posted on this very forum as it was on sale on eBay. I don't remember him winning a conference championship.

Word!***

Feb 10, 2012, 7:25 AM

I can think of something sadder

Feb 10, 2012, 7:47 AM

I love dgwilli's post by the way, and i know I'll take a beating for this one, but losing 4 out of 6 after starting 8-0 is sadder. Especially when those losses include NC State, USuC, and a 70-33 lost to West Virginia. The ACC Championship was great, but bragging about it is like USuC publishing a book about an 11 win season.

I agree. That's the difference between CU and SCar fans.

Feb 10, 2012, 8:00 AM

We Tigers have a little thing called perspective.

Drobins

Feb 10, 2012, 12:23 PM

If we had won the SEC we would have been a top ten team. You can't give absurd options and then claim them as facts.

The fact remains we had a better season than every team but the 8 teams ahead of us.

Why do you keep changing the subject?

Feb 10, 2012, 3:31 PM

First of all, once again, I was making a comment on your first one you know the line about would it have been a better year if oyu won your division but was not in the top ten at the end of the year?

You now follow up with, "If we won the SEC we would have been in the top 10"

That was not the original question! It was would it have been a better year if you won your division but weren't in the top ten. Winning the SEC would put you in the top ten yes but I thought we both were talking about a scenario where this didn't happen. Or did you miss that little tidbit?

Also you did not have a better season aside from 8 teams in front of you. To say that would be to say that you played and beat better teams than the ones lower than you and that's complete crap. Last I checked UGA was ranked 14-15 and they would say they had a better season then you why? Because they won the division and made it to the SECCG. They accomplished their goal, which wasn't to win the most games out of the teams in your divison but to win the division itself.

Once again, if you are really taking the final rankings to be more then they really are then you're disilluioned.

Answer one question for me. Just one.

Would you rather have had a season like this year or a season like last year? Forget the wins and all that stuff. Would you rather have a season where you won 9 games and made it to the SECCG or a season with 11 games and not?

Because thats what he does...***

Feb 10, 2012, 3:55 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not To Mention

Feb 10, 2012, 1:16 PM

having a position coach that is arrested for being drunk and urinating on a city street.

How about one that celebrates a NC

Feb 10, 2012, 1:25 PM

season that had 150 violations uncovered by a NCAA investigation.

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2008/10/clemsons-ncaa-infractions-and-truth.html

Feb 10, 2012, 3:50 PM

Do you not see you're asking a pointless question ?

We wouldn't be outside the top ten if we won the SEC. If you could win the SEC and finish outside the top 10 it wouldn't be worth bragging about if you win it.

Are you seriously asking if I would rather win 11 games versus 9? Sign me up for 11 wins every time.

RevDodd

Feb 10, 2012, 3:51 PM

Why are you so certain that our success is fleeting and your success this year isn't ?

Because he's a fan. Duh. If he said any different, I'd

Feb 10, 2012, 3:52 PM

question his resolve.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do you come on here at 4 am to flame? Do you feel like

Feb 10, 2012, 4:01 PM [ in reply to RevDodd ]

a winner when you are trolling and flaming at 4am?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Success????????????

Feb 10, 2012, 4:04 PM [ in reply to RevDodd ]

How sad is it when a fan base calls the season a success and they got beat by their rival by 3 TD's and gave up 70 points in a bowl game?

Re: Success????????????

Feb 10, 2012, 4:12 PM

Why is it when someone has 2-3 years of success they act like they have been relevant for 100 years?

Feb 10, 2012, 4:09 PM

Why are you so upset CM?

We can't have a discussion without it being flaming and trolling?

Feb 10, 2012, 4:22 PM

Any USC fan doing that is an idiot atrain.

For the record I don't believe USC or Clemson will ever truly be nationally relevant.

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic