Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ticket sales aren't down due to the economy, they're down...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Ticket sales aren't down due to the economy, they're down...

May 17, 2011, 10:22 PM

because people are finally tired of paying more and more for less and less. OK let me have it about not being a true fan or whatever, but how many of you were in that stadium Hatfield's last year losing to Wake Forest in a freezing drizzle. I don't want to hear it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson ticket sales are logically affected by the economy

May 17, 2011, 10:26 PM

more when you consider the number of fans that have to travel a longer distance compared to say the Coots.
Longer travel distance equates to much higher fuel cost, and when your pocket book is hurting you cannot afford lodging expense.

I think it's silly to think it's either/or

May 17, 2011, 10:29 PM

Seems to me it's a combination of both. Were we playing amazingly well and winning big games then the seats would be filled. Were we playing exactly as we are now and the economy was rolling along smoothly people would show up in higher numbers as well.

The combination of the weak economy and mediocre play/records creates a perfect storm where people are less willing to pay what is suddenly more valuable to come to games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No need to be rational tiger_thom***

May 18, 2011, 1:12 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: Ticket sales aren't down due to the economy, they're down...

May 17, 2011, 10:33 PM

I guess your a little right and a little wrong.

VT who just won the ACC championship for billionth time is down 6 percent as well on ticket sales

A ton of universities are down.....even the most powerful programs who have had recent success.

I do know one thing. The marketing strategy at Clemson sucks. There is no reason upper deck tickets should cost just as much as certain lower deck. Lower deck tickets should at most cost 30 bucks.

May 17, 2011, 11:49 PM

Have to agree, winning is a cure all. Put the product on the field and the fannies will be in the seats. That said, tthere is no doubt that the economy and gas prices are not helping.

Yep, Clemson ticket sales are the only thing not being

May 17, 2011, 11:46 PM

affected by the economy. OK!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great to know that Clemson fans are immune to the bad

May 17, 2011, 11:51 PM

economy.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/birmingham_news_survey_shows_c.html

Unfortunately, I was there.***

May 18, 2011, 12:04 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2011, 7:00 AM

Heh. I was at that game...of course, I was in the marching band so I had no choice :) But that's also the one and only football game my mom ever came to. It just figures it was a miserable day in every way possible.

Bowl game attendance was due to poor on field performance

May 18, 2011, 7:11 AM

Deep down inside, most who had watched the season progress knew we were going to lose that game, due to our predictability on offense.

Season ticket sales are due to the economy ... hard to shell out that kind of $$$ in this economic environment.

People are going to save their money for the big game tickets and parking passes. Some folks will show up in Clemson every Saturday and never set foot in the stadium.

Unfortunately, we are a tailgating school now, not a football school.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Missed one game in 41 years.

May 18, 2011, 7:17 AM

So yea I was there

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2011, 7:21 AM

absolutely!!!!!! the team performance is the reason for the decline in season tix sales! and the team results reflect exactly the lack of support of the admin!! the admin does not want a great football program!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And you know this how? Take a poll? Do a survey?***

May 18, 2011, 7:27 AM

Tiger/Terrier

Re: I was there. That was the game that got Hatfield fired.

May 18, 2011, 8:13 AM

It was also my and my wife's anniversary. The game ruined everything. Hatfield got what he deserved. I just wish it would have been worse for him.

Re: I was there.

May 18, 2011, 8:19 AM

If I remember correctly, it was on the Saturday of Halloween and the Deacs had a DL who was named "Boo" ... all too ironic.

They were an absolutely terrible team and they beat us in Death Valley. Some thing that never happens!

When people view that season frm a distance, all they see is the 8 wins he squeaked by in, they overlook this game and the 57-0 and 24-0 trouncings in his other losses.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ticket sales are down because people are tired of IPTAY.

May 18, 2011, 8:14 AM

People are tired of paying the price if IPTAY when all they have to do is show up to the game and by tickets outside the stadium. These tickets usually end up being better seats than they would have gotten and often at a discounted price. You get very little incentive to be a long time IPTAY member anymore, it is more about seating equity. There are many places to park for 20 bucks a game or even free and the IPTAY isn't worth it to them. That being said I am still an IPTAY member because I believe in supporting Clemson Athletes, but for the person who is just a fan and wants to go to the game and have a good time it is crazy for them to donate to IPTAY because it just doesn't get you that much. Big athletic events will still sale out and the numbers in attendance aren't going to change that much, just the season tickets being sold.

I can make generalizations as well***

May 18, 2011, 8:20 AM

Ticket sales can also be negatively affected by how......

May 18, 2011, 8:39 AM

many games are on TV - in the old days you had to go to see the games in person but now they're either on TV or on the internet - that's got to keep some people from buying tickets.

Do they teach Economics in Pickens?***

May 18, 2011, 8:40 AM

With gas up, food up, and everything else climbing...

May 18, 2011, 8:44 AM

it's the non-essentials people are cutting now. Football is up there for some, but not for others. The big spenders are spending less and the small spenders are staying at home. I recall the UTEP game back in the mid 90's sometime.....I bet there wasn't 50,000 people in the stadium and that was with perfect weather.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2011, 8:45 AM

OR - MAYBE - a big screen, HD-LCD Sony Bravia TV with Surround Sound makes it look like you're on the field with them is a possible alternative to sitting in the nose-bleed section where binoculars barely make the field visible. works for me. Yes - I like to take in a couple of games just to be a part of it all, but for game enjoyment - I can't get anywhere close to the set up I have at home. Plus - drinking is allowed at any time. Screaming - Cursing - and a few other noises are allowed at my house. lol - Of course, I live 300 miles away, so expenses do play a part in my attendance. I'm pretty sure you can hear me at the stadium though. I know the neighbors do.

May 18, 2011, 9:09 AM

Likewise for the very same reasons. 2-3 a year will be fine for me, plus a trip to VT for the "ACC statement" game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's both.***

May 18, 2011, 8:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The economy has certainly affected my ability to purchase

May 18, 2011, 8:53 AM

season tickets, and I know I'm not the only one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I was in my seats for 2 1/2 quarters, then left early for

May 18, 2011, 8:55 AM

the first time in my life, and spent the 4th quarter on my only visit to the Anderson Jockey Lot. Thought
it was more entertaining.

Hokie sales are down 6% as well.....

May 18, 2011, 1:10 PM

and they put a good product on the field. So, no, i don't agree with you that its just because of last season's losing record and the current state of the program.

But to deny those are factors as well is foolish.***

May 18, 2011, 4:10 PM

Coots' are down more than ours, from what I saw...and they

May 18, 2011, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Hokie sales are down 6% as well..... ]

are going to win the national championship next year. Wonder how that can be explained. Blue Caddy?

I was there in the drizzle in '93. Low point of Clemson fb.***

May 18, 2011, 2:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there too. Similar feeling to last year vs chickens.***

May 18, 2011, 5:03 PM

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic