Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In support of the Prayer Requests ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

In support of the Prayer Requests ...

Mar 21, 2011, 1:19 PM

Earlier today, when prayer was requested for the victims of a local tragedy, a few posters took it upon themselves to speak out against the value of prayer in general and the appropriateness of prayer requests on a sports forum.

This is a cuurious arguement to me.

I am told that prayer requests have been a popular part of Tigernet since its inception. Tigernetters both request prayer and respond positively to prayer requests on a regular basis.

It's easy to understand why. Statistically, 93% of Americans claim to be religious and 88% claim to pray at least once per week.

Yes, most Americans are in fact religious/spiritual in some respect and the vast majority actually believe in the power of prayer.

Agnostics and atheists represent perhaps a growing minority, but a minority none-the-less.

T-net prayer is NOT a Christian issue, and it need not be something that has to be strongly debated here by the opposite poles of the spectrum.

Most Tigernetters are not "Bible Thumpers" and most are not "Total non-believers" ...

In fact, if the demographic of this forum parallels American society (and there is no reason to believe otherwise) then the vast majority of Tigernetters believe in a higher being and believe in the power of prayer.

That's why I feel personally compelled to make this post in support of prayer requests on Tigernet regardless of the fact that it is classified as a "sports forum" ...

Belief in a higher power and being a Clemson sports fan need not be mutually exclusive.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.***

Mar 21, 2011, 1:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In support of the Prayer Requests ...

Mar 21, 2011, 2:13 PM

I agree 100%

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That makes you 100% wrong.

Mar 21, 2011, 10:59 PM

LOL.

Well said my friend. Well said.***

Mar 21, 2011, 2:16 PM

Prayer has never been an issue here...

Mar 21, 2011, 2:43 PM

...and certainly those who have followed Clemson sports have been known to call on the Almighty a time or two.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then why did we have a losing season last year? Have

Mar 21, 2011, 11:29 PM

you seen what we have accomplished on the field since Danny Ford left. If folks have been praying for something better, maybe they should rethink what prayer has done for us.

Are you associating prayer with "Gimme what I want?"

Mar 22, 2011, 6:53 AM

The Almighty isn't a genie, doling out wishes like movie popcorn.

Our season last year was part of a larger plan that obviously wasn't what we wanted ... but, perhaps was what we needed.

When it comes to the games, I tned to adhere to Keith Green's maxim: Do your best, pray it's blessed and Jesus takes care of the rest.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My main question to people who do not belive is ............

Mar 21, 2011, 2:59 PM

why try and stop others from doing it? If it is so silly to you and nonsense, then why is it so bothersome when other people do it? Nobody is forcing it on you if you choose not to participate. It really should make you stop and think why!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My main question to people who do not belive is ............

Mar 21, 2011, 3:21 PM

Thanks for posting. I started to reply to that post this morning but knew that would be futile. I have never requested prayer on this forum but have replied to many prayer requests. While I firmly believe in the power of prayer, my question to those who do not is "What if you are wrong?" If I'm wrong, which I am sure I'm not, it really hasn't cost me anything except a few minutes to pray for someone. Sounds like a pretty safe bet to me.

ah yes, pascal's wager***

Mar 21, 2011, 3:39 PM

It's a matter of faith and faith can't be forced ...

Mar 21, 2011, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Re: My main question to people who do not belive is ............ ]

Intellectually, it can be argued that you either believe or you do not. You cannot force yourself to believe something just to hedge your bets.

Pascal's Wager implies that you can choose belief as a convenience when your intellect tells you differently.

Personally I firmly believe in a higher power and I believe in the power of prayer. But I come to these beliefs naturally.

If I didn't believe, there is no way I could force myself to change just to avoid damnation. And frankly, I don't think the all-knowing God I believe in would give me that latitude anyway.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's all in the genes. Some people become

Mar 21, 2011, 10:58 PM

alcoholics, some gamblers, some womanizers and some become religious wackos. It's basically the genes one inherits that brings any of these on. Someday, they will find a cure for all of them. Just keep the faith.

Bless your heart. Are you having fun?

Mar 22, 2011, 8:15 AM

Enjoying yourself?

"If I am wrong, which I am sure I'm not"

Mar 21, 2011, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Re: My main question to people who do not belive is ............ ]

"If I am wrong, which I am sure I'm not"

Seriously.. I am a religious person.. but this is not the view we should have.. That is a pretty ignorant view..

Re: "If I am wrong, which I am sure I'm not"

Mar 21, 2011, 8:45 PM

Serious question. What is ignorant about being 100% convinced about the power of prayer?

Re: "If I am wrong, which I am sure I'm not"

Mar 21, 2011, 10:58 PM

Because he's asking people what if they are wrong about not believing.. and then basically telling them is wrong.. It's one thing to believe.. It's another thing have an ignorant outlook and attitude towards it..

I am a religious person.. But I for one would never say my views are absolutely the right ones.. It is impossible to say that whether you want to or not.. take that how you want.. but its just how it is and how i see it

You want eternal life so bad you are willing to discard

Mar 21, 2011, 11:19 PM

your thinking cap and not take any chances. You believe because you want to believe. And, you hope to be rewarded for that.

where do you think

Mar 21, 2011, 11:22 PM

your beliefs are going get you?

Serious question, not being rude.

I'm guessing this post wasn't meant for my post

Mar 22, 2011, 12:32 AM [ in reply to You want eternal life so bad you are willing to discard ]

Cause it goes towards the point i was making

You're all ignornant..

Mar 21, 2011, 11:08 PM [ in reply to "If I am wrong, which I am sure I'm not" ]

You are all the product of intense indoctrination early in youth and your religious view is all you have ever heard. No wonder that is your belief. This statement can be applied to Muslims and all the other religions. You are what you were raised to be.

Ouch ,,, the irony in your last statement.***

Mar 22, 2011, 8:16 AM

Let me see if I got you right.

Mar 21, 2011, 10:54 PM [ in reply to Re: My main question to people who do not belive is ............ ]

You're admitting you may be wrong about God and Heaven. So, you have simply placed your chips on the side that will get you in Heaven as insurance to get there. You sound like someone whose faith is very shakey and just playing it safe. God must be very happy with the reasoning that led you to become one of his followers.

So, it only takes a few minutes to cast a prayer out there

Mar 21, 2011, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: My main question to people who do not belive is ............ ]

and it cost you nothing. How is God going to accept something you treat in such a trivial manner. Why would he take your prayer seriously? All of you folks should listen to what you are really saying.

AMEN***

Mar 21, 2011, 3:37 PM

Very well said. Support prayer requests 100%.

Mar 21, 2011, 3:42 PM

If you do not believe as others do, then do not participate. This is still a free country. If you do not like the program on one channel, change it or turn off the tv. No one makes you watch or participate in things you don't want to.

Re: In support of the Prayer Requests ...

Mar 21, 2011, 4:50 PM

I am in favor of prayer requests.

Re: I support Prayer Requests .

Mar 21, 2011, 5:34 PM

Unbelievers can ignore them.

Re: GOD IS GOOD...

Mar 21, 2011, 6:04 PM

Thats all I got to say.

THANK YOU

Mar 21, 2011, 6:05 PM

Thank you DueWest for supporting my post and having my back.

thanks to all who support prayer requests

most start the topic with prayer request, easy to pass over

Mar 21, 2011, 11:14 PM

the thread if you are not inclined. Some items or issues are above the athletics and rivalries. I rarely respond to the posts but I do offer a prayer to those who ask for and need prayer.

I support prayer requests & if I needed my fellow t-netters

Mar 22, 2011, 9:17 AM

to pray for me I know they would do the same. Prayer works my friend and God is great.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic