Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"State of the Rivalry" Address
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

"State of the Rivalry" Address

Feb 11, 2011, 10:14 AM

Here's an observation I've made about the Clemson/USC Jr. rivalry as of lately. Just one lifelong fan's perspective.

Let me just start by saying that I was born and raised a Tiger fan. I thank God every day for that. Therefore, I was born despising the Gamecocks. I'll die thinking that same way. I know true Gamecock fans feel the same way about Clemson.

However, recently, I find I have to defend myself against fellow CLEMSON fans for how much I hate the chickens. I watched the SEC Championship Game and joked about how badly USC was playing. I was watching with a group of Tigers, and one of them told me I shouldn't poke fun at USC Jr. because they had a great season and should be proud. Besides, at least ONE team from the Carolinas did well in 2010. (I HATE that argument. How many Carolina fans do you think believe that same way?)

When it seemed like Clowney would either go to Bama or the chickens (with Clemson just being an afterthought at the time), I didn't hesitate to tell anybody and everybody that I'd rather he pick the Tide. I was even criticized for saying THAT, because Saban is a d*** (not gonna disagree) and we should want in-state talent to stay IN-STATE. ...WHAT?

To all of this, I can only offer the simple response: They're. Our. Rivals.

You don't EVER want your rivals to do great.

I will war with Gamecocks about anything. If I live next to a Gamecock in Alaska and he's freezing, I'll say we need a cold front to come through because I'm burning up. We'll disagree about the color of s***. I'll argue that my dollar is worth more than his because it's crisper.

I suppose I'm writing this because I'm witnessing a young generation of Clemson fans that I wish was more hungry for blood. I'm a grad student at Clemson right now (did my four years of undergrad here, too). When the rivalry game neared this past season, there were PLENTY of Tiger die-hards embracing the atmosphere of mutual hatred. During the actual game, there was a ton of anti-USC chanting that was music to my ears.

However, on the flip side, I was upset by the attitude many Tigers, who I know to be football fans and lifelong Tigers, had during that week in November. "Meh, they're (the Gamecocks) alright." "Why do we hate them so much?" "Does it even matter at this point?" Yes, it mattered. It always does. Everybody on this board can agree that the Clemson/USC match is no ordinary football game.

So, what's the point of this long-winded post?

Tiger faithful, make sure your children grow up hating the chickens every bit as much as you did. Don't let apathy tarnish one of the most historic, heated rivalries in all of college football. Don't ever support the chickens. Don't ever defend them. If you ever say it's at least good that one school in South Carolina that's not Clemson did well, you better be talking about Coastal Carolina. And most importantly...

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be Shamecocks!

To all the Tigers out there who understand the true spirit of this rivalry, keep it up! To any who think the Gamecocks are "alright," get on the bandwagon and start burning chicken dolls!

GO TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

Re: "State of the Rivalry" Address

Feb 11, 2011, 10:22 AM

Amen, Brother!

"If you're going to give me 110 percent, you can rub that rock. If you're not, keep your filthy hands off it."

here here***

Feb 11, 2011, 10:23 AM

I hate them as much as anyone, but I won't act like them.

Feb 11, 2011, 10:28 AM

In other words, when they beat us, I don't talk about it when they lose to other teams. That is the biggest reason coot fans have been so delusional and annoying over the years. We would beat them, yet they would still live vicariously through other teams. So when they lost in the SEC Championship, I kept my mouth shut. Any reasonable fan should do the same, otherwise they are embarrassing themselves.

I don't mock the Gamecocks for an arbitrary reason, I am convinced they actually have a higher ratio of delusional d-bags than most other programs. I refuse to contribute to Clemson's delusional, d-bag contingent.

Addendum: I am certainly not suggesting that you are one of those fans, I was just making a general point. I felt I needed to clarify that. :)

Message was edited by: Completely Solid Orange®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hate them as much as anyone, but I won't act like them.

Feb 11, 2011, 10:35 AM

Not gonna disagree with you, brother. TRUST me, I wasn't living vicariously through Auburn. I'm not exactly a fan of them either.

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

Re: I hate them as much as anyone, but I won't act like them.

Feb 11, 2011, 10:35 AM [ in reply to I hate them as much as anyone, but I won't act like them. ]

Thanks the addendum btw! :)

Feb 11, 2011, 10:28 AM

100% agree. Screw the chickens, dont like em never have never will. If Sherman was marching through SC right now I would want him to burn Willy B to the ground and hand him the matches. Time to whip their behinds and restore order!

Feb 11, 2011, 10:33 AM

WOW! Hate is such an ugly word. What I dislike is all of you who dare compare the University of South Carolina with Clemson University in any way. Let 'em go.

If they played the Taliban, Id pull for the Taliban.***

Feb 11, 2011, 10:29 AM

In a sporting event of course. ******

Feb 11, 2011, 10:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2011, 10:32 AM

AMEN!
And when the coots play uga we all pray for a 0-0 tie with earthquakes, tornadoes, and floods hitting the stadium!

LOL, fact!***

Feb 11, 2011, 10:39 AM

when we play them in SPORTS...

Feb 11, 2011, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: "State of the Rivalry" Address ]

then YES......BEAT their butt! In everyday life, I'd say you were off the deep end if you're gonna argue with a Gamecock fan to the point of denying them their humanity, love and respect. It's a game people, it's a game.

They already have no dignity, humanity, or respect.***

Feb 11, 2011, 4:30 PM

Re: when we play them in SPORTS...

Feb 11, 2011, 5:18 PM [ in reply to when we play them in SPORTS... ]

Tell the Coots it's just a game and see their response!!

you are definitely on to something w/ being born that way

Feb 11, 2011, 11:03 AM

My daughter was about 2 years old when she first came across another kid decked out in #### gear. Without any previous 'training' or coercion, she blurts out "you have yucky on your shirt"...that's when I knew she was ready.
Made me proud

haha, nice***

Feb 11, 2011, 11:04 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you are definitely on to something w/ being born that way

Feb 11, 2011, 11:07 AM [ in reply to you are definitely on to something w/ being born that way ]

Your little girl shall have a prosperous life, sir! Point for you and her!

Re: you are definitely on to something w/ being born that way

Feb 11, 2011, 5:16 PM [ in reply to you are definitely on to something w/ being born that way ]

My 3 yr old grandson, who cried and rolled on the floor screaming when his parents went to clemson games without him at the age of 18 months, saying I want to go to the Paw Paw game....he loves anything with a Tiger Paw on it, says out of the blue gamecocks stink, we don't like them, without any coaching(?) Ha! He even told his baby sitter that and she's a coot.

Feb 11, 2011, 11:14 AM

I wondered if there was a point to this in our future, but you did finish strong. God bless the Tigers!!! Gamecoots, well one day, maybe, they will repent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2011, 11:26 AM

Met a gamecock fan the other day and the subject of Clowney came up. I told him I wish him well whichever school he chooses because he is a nice and talented person.

I also told him, as a parent, I would not want my son to play for Spurrier. He agreed with me and said he was hoping Stevie boy would retire at the end of the season. He said, and I quote, "He is a JERK!" He told me that he is so arrogant and a jerk when he comes to spring meetings.

We discussed how Spurrier embarrasses his players in front of the media all the time. That is no place to do that if a player does not live up to your expectations or has made a mistake in a game.

He told me how much he thinks of Dabo Swinney. Of course, I agreed with him and told him that I thought after meeting Dabo and Kathleen, a player would have a very real desire to come to Clemson to play. He agreed, saying he thought Steve's days were over and he just wished he would retire to the golf course.

Feb 11, 2011, 4:24 PM

if I saw a gamecock on fire I wouldnt even pee on them to put it out.

Great post***

Feb 11, 2011, 5:20 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Gamecock Cheer

Feb 11, 2011, 5:45 PM

I am Clemson Born and Clemson Bred and when I die I'll be Clemson dead. I bleed Orange. "Cock-a doodle-doo Cock-a-doodle-doo Carolina Gamecocks -to h@!! with you." I long for the days when at every home game no matter who we were playing late in the 4th quarter that cheer would start and the whole stadium would rock with it.

I wish we had chants like european soccer teams

Feb 11, 2011, 5:48 PM

you could never do it on offense but theres no reason not to on defense.

Death Valley is at its loudest during the C-L-E-M-S-O-N chant and Williams Brice is loudest during the GAME ##### chant.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic