Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
These are the 80s.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

These are the 80s.

Oct 23, 2013, 2:21 PM

Until now, there was only one era when Clemson football was dominant on the national scene. That era was the 1980s...a top ten program with top ten talent winning 10+ games 4 times in the decade. Clemson was a force to be reckoned with. Few teams won against Clemson, fewer teams won in Death Valley, and NO ONE wanted to play us at home, and for good reason. And elite program playing elite teams in elite games, and winning most of them.

Sound familiar? It should, because it is happening again right now, right before our eyes, and it is happening DESPITE the loss to FSU. Folks, these are the 80s. We're back in that decade once again. Only the names have changed. The likes of Kirkland, Perry, Jordan, Kinard, and Tuttle have been replaced by Bowers, Beasley, Boyd, Spiller and Nuk. The days of Danny are now the days of Dabo. Until last Saturday, we hadn't lost a game in 11 MONTHS, and we've only lost 3 games in the last 21 MONTHS! We've been ranked in the top 10 all season, and in the top 5 for most of it after finishing 11th last season. We've been ranked in the top 25 for 38 consecutive weeks, with no end in sight.

This is only the beginning. Welcome back to the 80s. Enjoy the ride.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh Lord, does this mean we all have go back to "big hair"***

Oct 23, 2013, 2:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Oh Lord, does this mean we all have go back to "big hair"******

Oct 23, 2013, 3:33 PM

Re: These are the 80s.

Oct 23, 2013, 2:47 PM

You might want to check that again

I forgot...did we ever beat the Coots in the 80's?

Oct 23, 2013, 10:06 PM

I thought we did but maybe we didn't.

Can we also bring back the mullet?***

Oct 23, 2013, 2:48 PM

It never really left

Oct 24, 2013, 9:17 PM

Haven't you noticed the rather large number coots that never got rid of their mullets? I see them coming out of Walmart with their lamecock gear!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

lol receeding hairline...some 70 miles***

Oct 24, 2013, 9:19 PM

delusional***

Oct 23, 2013, 2:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll dust off my Members Only jacket.

Oct 23, 2013, 2:49 PM

Put another quarter in the jukebox baby!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't forget the izod!***

Oct 23, 2013, 3:00 PM

Maybe get a "PacMan" console for the happy hour crowd...***

Oct 23, 2013, 3:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By the way, +1.***

Oct 23, 2013, 3:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldn't agree more. As bad as Sat nite was, it still has

Oct 23, 2013, 3:07 PM

been the best that it has been in years. Despite losing to the Coots, WV and the new FSU debacle, I have been more proud of our team as of late. Even Danny caught crap about being "one dimentional" and losing to teams that we should not have. Recruiting has been good and hopefully will continue to improve. Go Tigers

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: Couldn't agree more. As bad as Sat nite was, it still has

Oct 23, 2013, 3:39 PM

We don't lose to teams we should not lose to…at least we haven't in the last 2 years. Dabo's teams are actually better in that regard than most of Danny's teams were.

elite program playing elite teams in elite games

Oct 23, 2013, 4:19 PM

and winning??? Please elaborate. 1 and 1 this season

which were elite last year, the Chick-fil-a Bowl? FSU and USuC?

Orange Bowl was elite but opponent was far from it.

WVU was only 22 months ago

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Rocky top you'll always be...***

Oct 24, 2013, 9:20 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

home sweet home to me. Good old Rocky Top

Oct 25, 2013, 9:20 AM

Rocky top Tennessee. Corn don't grow at all on Rocky Top.

Re: elite program playing elite teams in elite games

Oct 24, 2013, 10:39 PM [ in reply to elite program playing elite teams in elite games ]

Yup, and you lost to Tennessee last weekend so you're in no place to open your mouth coot. You still have no banners and nothing to show for your "Gamecock Golden Years" except a few Capital One Bowl wins and wins over Clemson, but the second part will change in November. As for the Capital One Bowl, good luck down there again!

If I was a Coot would I refer to them as USuC or Coots?

Oct 25, 2013, 9:19 AM

Just because I don't worship at the alter of Dabo? He is a good coach. I just haven't awarded him sainthood yet.

Stadium drinks for $1.....outstanding !***

Oct 23, 2013, 4:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2013, 7:35 PM

Um...I appreciate the enthusiasm, but NONE of our current defensive players are fit to wash the jock straps of the LEGENDARY 1980's DEFENSIVE PLAYERS that you named.

You are right on!

Oct 23, 2013, 9:41 PM

OL could not touch 80's.......I love this team, but it is the truth.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are right on!

Oct 25, 2013, 9:54 AM

> OL could not touch 80's.......I love this team, but
> it is the truth.

That's somewhat funny. I don't have time to look it up but I think the o-lineman in the 80's prolly averaged about 265 lbs. That size nowadays might get you an o-line scholly to a Division III school.

The reason William Perry was considered such a freak was that he weighed an "astonishing" 300 lbs. Today that is almost the minimum weight you want your interior d-lineman and your o-lineman.

Had some great wins in the '80s, but also some stinkers.

Oct 23, 2013, 9:30 PM

I think we've tended to forget these:

'89 - Top 10 Clemson loses to unranked GT at home
'89 - Lost at Duke
'87 - Down 30-0 at the half to NCSU in Death Valley, lost 30-28
'86 - Tied an awful Sakerlina
'87 - Rooodddneeeeyyyy and the Tigers put up only 166 yards of total offense against Sakerlina, lost 20-7

Those are just a few that come to mind. That said, the magnitude of 70-33 and 51-14 are unmatched. But it doesn't do anyone any good to bellyache about it. Just have to go back to work and get better.

Re: Yes there were stinkers , but was our 80s D ever

Oct 23, 2013, 9:37 PM

manhandled like our recent/ current D was by the Coots and FSU?

Nope. The team that really had our number then was NCSU.

Oct 23, 2013, 9:45 PM

Just remembered another stinker:

'86 - NSCU in the freezing rain, lost 27-6

If we gave up 40 points in any game in the '80s, I don't recall it.

Doh. I mean 27-3.***

Oct 23, 2013, 9:46 PM

only one...

Oct 23, 2013, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Nope. The team that really had our number then was NCSU. ]

Md
41-23 loss

87 loss to Ncst hurt that was the year we handled GA

Oct 23, 2013, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Had some great wins in the '80s, but also some stinkers. ]

And thought we were on our way again back to the top

One huge difference

Oct 23, 2013, 10:04 PM

Offensive line!!! We always had strong O-lines in the 80s. We didn't do a lot of fancy stuff back then like we do now. Most of the plays we do now are more creative and better than what we ran then. We even have better skill players, for the most part.
BUT....Our Offensive line is no where like it was then. Clemson didn't run a lot of fancy plays because they didn't need to. They just ran people over. A lot of time our opponets knew what we were going to run, and still couldn't stop us. Clemson would have NEVER gotten a beaten like they did this weekend. There were some bad games, such as a GT game and an NC State game...but even those were cometitive for a little while. Clemson has made some steps forward with the wins ober LSU and UGA...but we still have a ways to go. Also, lets not forget that we did win over our instate rival most of the time in the 80s, and they were pretty good then too under Joe Morrison. Still, lets see how this season plays out...could be another step.

O and D line were unrivalled.***

Oct 24, 2013, 7:44 PM

AMEN! Let me add too that the compared sos of the respective

Oct 24, 2013, 7:39 PM

eras, not to mention additional games played, are not even close. So, this sustained top-tier success is unprecedented and I've witnessed both. Folks thinking Dabo is a flash in the pants are the same as those that were calling for Danny's head for his predictable triple option. One other important thing: We're doing it with class, with respect, and great admiration by all this time. Last time we were hated and we were cheaters in the general sporting population. Folks like us- moms, dads, and HS prospects. Count our blessings folks. #0 more years of holding our breaths, well, I'm not sure I've got that much left

30 years- sorry. I'll wear a tutu if it'll help.***

Oct 24, 2013, 7:41 PM

You mean $12 tickets and no night games?

Oct 24, 2013, 9:25 PM

It the 80s but much better.

Better matchups in the conference
Night Games
Gamedays
West Zone
Tigernet (remember when all football news was the Greenville News and Orange & White?)
High-Def Television
Samantha Steele
Park at Valley Walk
Offense!Offense!Offense!

Loved Danny but dang it could be a dull brand of football.

Oct 24, 2013, 10:12 PM

photo MotleyCrew.jpg

ignorant post***

Oct 25, 2013, 9:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

no, these are the 80s

Oct 25, 2013, 9:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. But some slight differences from the '80's. We NEVER

Oct 25, 2013, 10:31 AM

got our buttocks handed to us like we did against FSU and WVU. (I think our worse loss was by 24 to NCState in Raleigh.)

And we were handling the GCocks for the most part...

Oh - and I had a lot more hair.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic