Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do we recruit NFL level OL and LB? Or do we but don’t
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Do we recruit NFL level OL and LB? Or do we but don’t

Jan 25, 2021, 5:40 PM

have a good enough reputation for those positions in order to attract them? I don’t know. But we have put most every other position into the NFL. Maybe BV likes the Boulware /Skalski size? Thanks for your opinions and insights.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Many 3* OL in NFL. Hard HS evaluation and also development.***

Jan 25, 2021, 6:00 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do we recruit NFL level OL and LB? Or do we but don’t

Jan 25, 2021, 6:02 PM

I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING ABOUT THE O-LINEMEN ESPECIALLY. WE HAVE PROBABLY THE FEWEST O-LINEMEN IN THE LEAGUE FOR A TEAM THAT IS A TOP 4 IN THE NATION PROGRAM ANNUALLY ??????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 6:03 PM

For what it’s worth

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2021-super-bowl-rosters-sorted-by-college-teams-conferences-michigan-lsu-lead-the-way/amp/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 6:18 PM

Stephone Anthony LB in the NFL.
Vic Beasley plays LB
Dorian O'Daniel on the Super Bowl bound team
Isaiah Simmons says hello from NFL

Mitch Hyatt has contract with Cowboys but was out with knee injury
Pretty sure Ancrum on team
Carmen Jackson will get drafted.

But we have lacked top OL talent. Mitch and Carmen were 5*. There are not a lot of 5* OL recruits but the last 2yrs our quality of OL recruits have gone up substantial with lots of high 4* guys where we had mainly had 3* OL in the past.

LB is not a Issue. OL hasn't been top tier; but

Jan 25, 2021, 7:26 PM

I think our LB recruiting has been great! You have to remember:

Shaq Smith - 5 star
Stephone Anthony - 5 star
Mike Jones - 4 star
Tre Lamar - 5 star
Trenton Simpson - was either a high 4 star or 5 star (depending on which service).

Look at KJ Henry - 5 star and one of the highest rated Tigers ever - took a RS. 5 stars are supposed to be able to have more of an immediate impact. Same thing with Tre Lamar!

We have done well at LB.

OL - I understand why people question it. We have brought some guys in and they ended up being like 5 star guys. Think 16 OL. And honestly the 18 OL as well. Many guys who played well above their initial star rating!
To me - we have tried the same formula with some kids and "we missed". It's just that simple. I think you can miss with 4 and 5 star guys(see above) but it's less likely! The Clemson brand is strong enough now - we should be able to snap kids who fit culturally and schematically.

I think defenses have caught up to the HUNH offense and rule changes has neutralized the affect an offense can have on the DL. Some teams just aren't deep enough for it to matter(rule changes) but the ones with enough depth who are allowed to sub when the offense subs can absolutely take advantage of a weak OL. In other words, our offensive philosophy use to not require "the best OL in the world"! It just took guys who could hold their blocks long enough. The volume of plays would wear down the defense at some point and we could make enough big plays as a result of their lack of pursuit to take advantage. Not as easy now as I said with the way DC's and the rules have kind of evened the playing field some for defenses.
Which now goes back to needing a more dominant OL. Because if you can't use volume to wear down the Defense. You had better have a backup plan!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 7:56 PM

We are definitely not an “O-Line school,” but LB is different. Yeah, we always seem to have an over-achiever such as Skalski, Smith, Boulware, Shuey, etc..., but we also put out our fair share of elite pro talent too.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic