Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
thought mack brown said something intelligent yesterday....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

thought mack brown said something intelligent yesterday....

Dec 4, 2017, 10:45 AM

normally, think he's a dunce and dreadfully boring, but yesterday he hit on something i'd not considered or heard mentioned before...

we all talk about an 8 team or 16 team playoff, but he said why not do a 6 team playoff (all 5 conference champions and an at large) and have the 1 and 2 seeds get a bye while 3-6 play it off. this year, that would have worked tremendously

3 uga vs. 6 usc
4 bama vs. 5 OSU

1 clemson vs. bama/osu
2 oklahoma vs. uga/usc

clemson/bama/osu vs. oklahoma/uga/usc

done

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The at large would always be an SEC team. Thats' why.***

Dec 4, 2017, 10:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

last year, it would have been penn state***

Dec 4, 2017, 10:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't PSU the conf champ last year?

Dec 4, 2017, 10:49 AM

So the at-large would've been OSU?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

correct, either way, the sec would have only had 1***

Dec 4, 2017, 10:55 AM

6 would be fine with me. 6 conference

Dec 4, 2017, 10:48 AM

Champions..welcome to the show CFU

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

with that, bama would be out....

committee's job is to the "best teams" in there... bama is one of the 6 best teams in the country

And that's what I find silly

Dec 4, 2017, 10:50 AM

"Best" is a junk word with no meaning. Or a million meanings, which is the same as none.

But again, it's the system we have, go out and win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

weird, though, that if bama had beaten auburn, and lost to

Dec 4, 2017, 10:52 AM

ANYBODY else (including fresno state, ole miss, etc.) on their schedule, they would have been in the sec championship game and discussions would be a lot different today

if we have 8 teams, then i say 5 power 5 champs, 2 at large,

Dec 4, 2017, 10:50 AM [ in reply to 6 would be fine with me. 6 conference ]

and highest ranked group of 5.

but with 8 team playoff, i say drop the 12th game

That's a good idea if they can manage to increase the $$$...

to pay everyone what the four selections get now. BTW, I know that money goes to the conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats another game for them

I think most teams are happy with the amount of games played right now. Not sure they want to potentially add one more. could be wrong though.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'm fine with going back to 11 games...

it worked for years and years until conference expansion

i think eventually if they do expand playoffs

Dec 4, 2017, 11:01 AM

it will go back to 11

Then why have Bama? Just let 4 & 5 play to get it. Conf

champs only.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

while it’s not a terrible idea... it’s not good either, IMO

I think we have it figured out at 4. It should be hard to get in, and there should be debate. A committee that includes coaches is the way... much better than computers.

In that scenario... you’d play that first round before Christmas sometime... but you are slso adding a game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the stupid part is, you have a 4 team playoff and 5 major

Dec 4, 2017, 10:54 AM

conferences.

no other league/sport in the world doesnt have enough spots for their division/league winners

I don't think automatic bids are a good idea.

Dec 4, 2017, 11:00 AM

This year it works, but using the ACC as an example, what if a Coastal Division Champ makes the ACCCG with 4 losses and wins on some freakish play or bad officiating call? That team automatically gets to be in the playoffs?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Yes.

Dec 4, 2017, 11:05 AM

The season is already full of these "fluke" plays and games, why discard that chaos when it comes to conference championship games?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes.

Dec 4, 2017, 11:05 AM

That’s how it works in the pros

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Because ~40 percent of the teams make it...

Dec 4, 2017, 11:23 AM

~40% of D1 CFB teams would be 50ish teams.

I don't want CFB to look like Pro Football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AAAAAAAmen!

Dec 4, 2017, 11:26 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

The pros do not have a single game that determines whether a

Dec 4, 2017, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes. ]

team makes the playoffs. They also have 4-team divisions where they play each division opponent twice. The ACC has had some bad teams make the ACCCG in the past. Every conference has. The system works perfectly well right now without automatic bids. A 4-loss conference champ has no business making a college football playoff.

Re: Yes.

Dec 4, 2017, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes. ]

11 Regular season games. 16 team play off. 10 P5 Division winners(5 14 or 16 team conferences). 1st round on ChampInship weekend @ neutral sites. Adds 1 Dec/Jan game. Move second 8 teams up or down 2 spots to prevent rematches. Comittee has said Conf Championships dont matter anyway.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because those types of breaks even out over the course of

Dec 4, 2017, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Yes. ]

a season, but not necessarily in a winner-take-all type of game. Imagine a scenario where 12-0 Clemson plays 8-4 GT in the ACCCG. We break off a long TD run to pull ahead with seconds remaining and it gets called back due to a phantom holding call (sound familiar?). GT wins it and they're 9-4 on the season and headed to the playoffs, while we're hoping against hope that we get that at-large bid at 12-1.

No thanks, I prefer my chances with the current system, which works really well.

Re: I don't think automatic bids are a good idea.

Dec 5, 2017, 9:32 AM [ in reply to I don't think automatic bids are a good idea. ]

Look at the Giants when they beat the pats

Re: thought mack brown said something intelligent yesterday....

Dec 4, 2017, 11:17 AM

Des Howard tweeted that same thing after last week's games. I'm thinking that Mack Brown just stole the idea from him, seeing as how Mack Brown is the dunce you described.

do u think Mack Brown knows how to do the twitter?***

Dec 4, 2017, 11:25 AM

It seems perfect now. Why do people rush to change?

Dec 4, 2017, 11:20 AM

There will always be malcontents.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: thought mack brown said something intelligent yesterday....

Dec 5, 2017, 9:38 AM

That would just create more bitching and moaning over who really deserves the byes and who the 5-6 teams should be. No matter how many teams are included in the playoff there will always be controversy over the last spot(s).

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Clemson is currently on top of the mountain. No need

Dec 5, 2017, 10:06 AM

to step off it.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic