Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watson's INT ratio - reasonable or not?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Watson's INT ratio - reasonable or not?

Nov 17, 2016, 10:32 AM

See a lot of posts asking what is reasonable in #s of Ints for the 70 passes Watson threw in the Pitt game. See where many have stated that 2 is reasonable or 1 int per 30 attempts is reasonable for an elite level QB. I did a little research and call BS. As good as he is, Watson throws way way to many ints compared to other elite QBs.

Here are a couple of elite QBs for comparison:

Dak Prescott for his last year threw 477 attempts at a 66.2% completion rate with only 5 Ints. That is 1 int for every 95.5 attempts for the year. For his entire career, Dak averaged 1 int per 50.5 pass attempts.

Marcus Mariota for his last year had 445 attempts at a 68.3% completion rate with only 4 Ints. That is 1 int for every 111.25 attempts for the year. For his entire career, Marcus averaged 1 int per 83.3 pass attempts.

So far this year, Watson is has 387 attempts at a 66.2% completion rate with 13 Ints. That is 1 int for every 29.7 passes. For his career so far, Watson is averaging an int every 30.6 passes.

I chose those two because IMO they ran similar offenses and are comparable to Watsons skill level. I don't think either of those QBs had the compliment of receivers to work with that Watson has. They are all very similar when looking at their stats until you look at their Int ratio to pass attempts. Watson has made some very questionable decisions on many of his throws comparatively. Both of the above had a much higher attempt to int ratio than 70 to 1 in their last year of CFB.

Based on these stats, it is entirely reasonable to expect a QB of Watsons talent and skill level to throw 70 passes in a game without an INT.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's without doubt his weakness.

Nov 17, 2016, 10:36 AM

Still the best to ever wear the paw.

But, the random INTs are his weakness.

Its not always how many, it's when they're thrown.***

Nov 17, 2016, 10:36 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: Its not always how many, it's when they're thrown.***

Nov 17, 2016, 10:44 AM

I also believe that how they are thrown is huge as well. The first interception(can't remember who was targeted), Deshaun stared the receiver down the entire route. It seems like he hasn't been as diligent about actually going through his progressions this year.

Nov 17, 2016, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Its not always how many, it's when they're thrown.*** ]

no kidding. We have taken some points off the board with INT's In the red zone this year. He's still the GOAT for sure, but some are head scratchers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly.. he could have thrown 5, but if they're all in red zone

Nov 17, 2016, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Its not always how many, it's when they're thrown.*** ]

Like many have been, its a problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 18, 2016, 8:05 AM [ in reply to Its not always how many, it's when they're thrown.*** ]

And so far they've come at the worst time possible....red zone...about to score. Game changers....break momentum.

Re: Watson's INT ratio - reasonable or not?

Nov 17, 2016, 10:43 AM

Years ago, the standard use to be...2 to 1
2 TDs to every INTs.

Now a days, you get the sense that isn't good enough.
Its sometimes hard to gauge ints based on what happen during the play.
But, just off the top of my head, Watson should probably only have no
more than about 8 ints.

You're right. Deshaun SUCKS!!!

Nov 17, 2016, 10:49 AM

Put in the back up

He's the best player in Clemson history

Nov 17, 2016, 11:19 AM

The random INTs are his weakness.

Both can be true statements.

HEY YOU!!!

Nov 17, 2016, 11:27 AM

Why can't we have clearing thinking like that around here!! Good post! No, GREAT post.

I meant to say "more" clear thinking***

Nov 17, 2016, 11:28 AM

d

Just to be clear, I was being sarcastic***

Nov 18, 2016, 8:00 AM [ in reply to He's the best player in Clemson history ]

Re: Just to be clear, I was being sarcastic***

Nov 18, 2016, 8:12 AM

It doesn't matter how often you're sarcastic, it matters where you're sarcastic....

Re: Just to be clear, I was being sarcastic***

Nov 18, 2016, 8:16 AM

Thanks guy, real nice....

Do you think all this "unlike watson" playing sprouted....

Nov 18, 2016, 8:15 AM [ in reply to He's the best player in Clemson history ]

....after he started complaining about being labeled a dual threat QB? I feel like once he started talking about that topic, his demeanor on the field changed. Do you think he decided he didn't want to be labeled dual threat and has been trying to force something that is not him? He seemed so elusive last year...squirming out of impossible situations. This year it seems he sits in the pocket for long periods and stares down his receivers. Taken a lot more sacks too...or at least it seems that way. So many passes have been batted down/intercepted compared to last year. He just seemed a lot more comfortable and poised last year compared to this year.

In golf we would says "He's got the yips"

I think this is exactly it

Nov 18, 2016, 8:22 AM

He is trying to prove to NFL scouts that he can be a pocket passer. I wish he would just be the DW4 that got him to this point. What's wrong with dual threat? Ever heard of cam newton?

Reasonable or not it is what it is and I wouldn't want any

Nov 17, 2016, 10:50 AM

Other qb under center.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

i'd rather see a comparable to Jameis

Nov 17, 2016, 11:09 AM

Winston. He threw a lot of picks too, but I think his were mostly the same reason that Deshaun throws his. They trust their ability and arm strength.

Jameis is doing ok for the Bucs and that is without a bevy of talented WRs. He has 1 receiver in Evans that is good and he disappears in some games depending on who is covering him.

Watson I believe has a better football IQ than Winston but maybe not the arm strength. I think Watson will be fine in the NFL. I truly believe he will be the Top QB in this years Draft Class. The next closest one to him would be someone like Browning at Washington. I don't believe in the Deshaun Kizer hype at all and Mason Rudolph I don't think has it either.

Watson and Jameis are very comparable

Nov 17, 2016, 11:39 AM

Their last year in NCAA was not as good as their previous year.

Yet another reason why it was SO STUPID

Nov 17, 2016, 11:32 AM

for the staff to do anything other than MANDATE that series (the Brightwell pick) be all ground plays once we got so deep into the red zone.

Watson is great, and you make a good breakdown there - he does have this weakness. I don't want to throw DW under the bus more than anyone else, but the coaches MUST know when they are nursing a lead and what it takes to nurse and extend one while melting clock. If we continue to use the same playbook regardless of circumstance, it will cause problems. It could have prevented the loss Saturday.

Sorry for the rabbit trail. Nice breakdown, and I completely agree with your analysis.

Why do posters spend precious time researching information

Nov 17, 2016, 11:43 AM

that has no relation to each other? Different players, different teams, different opponents, no relations! The only fact needed is that Watson has led us to a 23-2 record, national championship game, top 4 for this year's playoffs and is a TRUE WINNER!! All the other stuff is garbage!!

DWat

Nov 17, 2016, 12:25 PM

made a dumb decision in the RZ, got greedy, and paid for it. He knows better. Situational football, time and score, and possession, must trump greed for points. He'll learn from it. Let's move on.

Those two had oline's that could run block, Watson doesn't...

Nov 17, 2016, 12:46 PM

Prescott and Mariotta weren't depended on to win every single game with their arm due to lack of a running game. So I'm calling BS on you leaving out the fact that those two QB's had much better rushing attacks than Watson does. Not to mention the int's off of tipped passes or wrong routes by the receiver

WHY DIDN'T you include the # of Touchdowns? I think that is

Nov 18, 2016, 8:12 AM

MORE relavent --

TD vs INT is usually the stat you see.

plus = HE IS A WINNER which means MORE to me.

How many ELITE QB's would trade for his WIN vs LOSS stat ???????

null

Re: WHY DIDN'T you include the # of Touchdowns? I think that is

Nov 18, 2016, 8:18 AM

> MORE relavent --
>
> TD vs INT is usually the stat you see.
>
>
> plus = HE IS A WINNER which means MORE to me.
>
>
> How many ELITE QB's would trade for his WIN vs LOSS
> stat ???????

I don't think anyone is denying he is a winner. In fact, he's one of the best if not the best right now. I think people are trying to compare his demeanor on the field last year vs. this year and things just look different. Yes hes still making incredible throws/plays...but just a bit more rash decision making....

Nov 18, 2016, 8:21 AM

I understand that as well - I'd prefer perfect

but the OP was asking about acceptable int stats ..... I don't understand that conversation without TD vs INT numbers .....

null

Nov 18, 2016, 10:19 AM [ in reply to WHY DIDN'T you include the # of Touchdowns? I think that is ]

I didn't include it because the topic was in regards to what was an acceptable # of pass attempts per interception. Not TDs thrown vs the # of Ints. It also doesn't have anything to do with his record as that takes the entire team etc. it was just about Watson vs other elite QBs but since you asked,

Last year played:

Prescott 29 TDs vs 5 Ints - 5.8 to 1

Mariota 42 TDs vs 4 Ints - 10.5 to 1

This year: Watson 27 TDs vs 13 Ints - 2.07 to 1

You don't math much do you? Kinda dumb to even think that someone throwing Ints at more than two times the rate of the others in the comparison would have a better ratio when looking at the TDs vs the Ints.

hey don't be a jacka$$ because I asked relevant question

Nov 18, 2016, 6:23 PM

or else don't answer at all.

I guess you don't do math much since you didn't include it

why the attitude when you are trying to have a discussion about INT'S ??????

null

I remember last year defenders dropping passes that were

Nov 18, 2016, 8:17 AM

Thrown directly to them. I remember saying, "Wow, we were lucky there!" Well, that's not happening this year. The defenders are catching them for INTs and the total is rising rapidly.

Re: Watson's INT ratio - reasonable or not?

Nov 18, 2016, 8:23 AM

How would the season look if we had run blocking and DW was running like the end of last year?

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic