Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any of y’all know anything about outdoor projectors?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 316

Any of y’all know anything about outdoor projectors?

Dec 11, 2020, 12:00 PM

FIL is trying to get us one for Christmas and he keeps running into an issue where they will only allow one or two streaming services

These are we use mostly and would be best suited for the kids to watch outside
1. Netflix
1.b Disney+
3. YouTubeTV

Anybody know anything? Joungy answers accepted (yes, we will have redtube playing during man night around the fire pit)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What’s the budget? Typically best to just get one and use

Dec 11, 2020, 12:01 PM

an hdmi input to use your streaming device of choice. I normally drive one with a laptop.

I know that’s your field

Dec 11, 2020, 12:04 PM

And that’s basically what I said

He’s an electric engineer and tends to over think things. The short version is that he says the HDMI, would still keep the encryption and not allow for streaming of services that are encrypted. That’s when it got over my head

Knowing him he’s probably looking $500 or so

He’s thinking of HDCP 2.x But projectors around that price

Dec 11, 2020, 12:23 PM

point will have HDCP enabled for HDMI inputs. Unless you’re using an Apple TV 4K or something you won’t have any issues.

The only issue with that encryption is when you have multiple display devices setup in a system and have say a 4K display and a 1080p one.

For movies in the yard you’ll be plugging straight in and the HDCP will negotiate fine.

Optoma HD146X High Performance Projector for Movies & Gaming | Bright 3600 Lumens | DLP Single Chip Design | Enhanced Gaming Mode 16ms Response Time https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0842QPR1Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_DL60Fb48JF583

Assuming this will just be dragged out for the movie and then put back inside after, something like the one linked above would work great. Just make sure you get more than 2,000 lumens or you’re not gonna like it.

My man***

Dec 11, 2020, 12:25 PM

Re: Any of y’all know anything about outdoor projectors?

Dec 11, 2020, 12:02 PM

They use to cost a lot of money now they are mostly cheap.

I just plug a roku into mine.

Dec 11, 2020, 12:03 PM

Only thing I wish I had gotten is bluetooth for speakers.

I kinda thought I could just plug my AppleTv and go***

Dec 11, 2020, 12:05 PM

Yep, you should be able to plug in anything that you would

Dec 11, 2020, 12:08 PM

plug into your TV via the HDMI.

I got one this past summer and it's been great. Looked at the cheaper ones and the more expensive ones and went right down the middle for about $400. It's plenty bright for viewing in afternoon as long as it's not in direct light. After dark its amazeballs.

This is the one I got by the way

Dec 11, 2020, 12:15 PM [ in reply to I kinda thought I could just plug my AppleTv and go*** ]

https://www.microcenter.com/product/481892/3600_Lumens_WXGA_High_Brightness_Projector_for_Home_and_Office_with_HDMI_Vertical_Keystone_and_1080p_Support_(PA503W),White

Get a dumb one and a stick computer then

Dec 11, 2020, 12:03 PM

connect to whatever you want.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: Any of y’all know anything about outdoor projectors?

Dec 11, 2020, 12:07 PM

I have one and love it. The screen is just as important as the projector. Some screens are not reflective enough and some too much. You can run the audio through a bluetooth speaker or for surround sound through an amp and add a stand alone bass speaker.
There is a lot of research you need to do before buying one.

He’s doing the research

Dec 11, 2020, 12:11 PM

He’s an EE and plays in a band and likes tech stuff, so I trust him more than me in this field, other than he lived with josephg® back in the day

Are your kids hard of seeing?

Dec 11, 2020, 12:10 PM

What's wrong with mounting (LOL) a TV outside?

We are talking drive in movie in the backyard for football

Dec 11, 2020, 12:12 PM

And kids watching movies in sleeping bags

NOFANKS!

Dec 11, 2020, 12:19 PM

Sounds like a superspreader event.

Bruh, I got space out back

Dec 11, 2020, 12:21 PM

Just cus I live in Mt P doesn’t mean I live in cookie cutter world, I’m sitting on a half an acre south of IOP connector

We can charge admission and still be socially distanced

It's been said already, but get a dumb one and hook in

Dec 11, 2020, 12:17 PM

a Roku/FireTV/AppleTV stick and go from there.

If portability is more of a focus, I have an Anker Nebula and it's a fun toy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXDW18Z/

That said, don't recommend it that much, it's not very bright, and you still need to be within range of wifi, which you would for the option of hooking in a streaming stick as well, so you might as well get a brighter one and you'll have power there anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

We just got 4 of these at work

Dec 11, 2020, 12:21 PM

Trying to spend budget before the end of the year to use when we can get back on the road and I’m setting them up today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: We just got 4 of these at work

Dec 11, 2020, 12:38 PM

That was always hard having to spend the budget before the end of the year unless you knew something you wanted in advance.

Replies: 19
| visibility 316
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic