Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What the heck did the AD see that everyone else couldn't?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

What the heck did the AD see that everyone else couldn't?

Feb 4, 2018, 6:51 PM

It was painfully obvious that Brownell needed to be fired and now we are #2 in the ACC more than halfway through the conference schedule.

Just thought it would be fair to ask the question in the AD's favor for once!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Drad gets paid for his opinion...

Feb 4, 2018, 6:59 PM

Most idiots on tnet don’t.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Notice you said "most"....***

Feb 4, 2018, 7:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Drad gets paid for his opinion...

Feb 4, 2018, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Drad gets paid for his opinion... ]

Yea, those idiots on TNet... hey!

Re: What the heck did the AD see that everyone else couldn't?

Feb 4, 2018, 7:37 PM

> It was painfully obvious that Brownell needed to be
> fired and now we are #2 in the ACC more than halfway
> through the conference schedule.
>
> Just thought it would be fair to ask the question in
> the AD's favor for once!

Not everyone else....many realized that our issue was not the HC. The vocal few are typically clueless and wrong. Same bunch who wanted to hang TDP for hiring Dabo

Feb 4, 2018, 7:49 PM

When Brad was hired, it wouldn't have mattered much who we brought in, they still wouldn't have had anything to sell to the recruits but a dumpy Littlejohn that there was no way we could have gotten a big name coach to come and try to to build a team at!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We tried to get a big name coach, several wouldn't even give

Feb 5, 2018, 1:35 AM

us an interview

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We tried to get a big name coach, several wouldn't even give

Feb 5, 2018, 2:36 PM

Big names aren't going to waste their time at a place that's not willing to compete with other school's in facilities. Putting some lip stick on littlejohn is already paying off for Brad. But, if our AD and admin would have bull dozed Littlejohn completely down and built a 5 star arena, it would have been much easier for Brad to convince 5 star talent to come to Clemson and play for him but, they decided to put some fresh lip stick on a 2 or 3 star 50 year old Littlejohn Coliseum. No body does a good job doing what ever if they don't the necessary tools to work with, and that is with every job. You can put new seats and a new engine in a 2000 Ford pick Up, and with the new seats and new engine, it's still only worth what a 2000 Ford Pick Up is valued at with the original seats and engine!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was spelled out for you chicken little's several times.

Feb 4, 2018, 8:25 PM

Many on here were acting like immature brats. You can't blame everything on the coach and you can't judge a coach purely by wins and losses.

Compared to our piers this is how we stacked up:
*inferior history
*inferior facilities
*inferior commitment
*chicken little fans who don't know a lot about Bball. This compounded with poor fan support.
*inconvenient location for a much more urban sport than FB
*last year he didn't even get to play games at home

All of this made even worse by the fact that he's playing multiple top 10 all time coaches and top 10 all time programs.

How brad actually did?

His team's outperformed their recruiting rankings. The looked well coached but were not the most talented guys. He's a HIGH character man. He's beat USCjr a few times in a row.

Who in the hell would you hire that would be a vast improvement over that? How do you fire a coach when he is at a disadvantage to basically his entire conference? You need to have reasonable expectations. If not we will be throwing away $2M every 4-5 years because Joe Dirt can't beat Phil Jackson and Coach K. You're literally asking him to beat NBA caliber teams with mediocre college players.

To be honest it's a coot mentality. Asking for a ACCCG in BB is equivalent to the coots expecting a CFB championship, FOOLISH.

Re: It was spelled out for you chicken little's several times.

Feb 4, 2018, 8:35 PM

Absolutely spot on. Brad has kept us competitive every since he has been here. I don't have the stats in front of me, but compared to our other coaches, his ACC wins are comparable, if not better. We had some excellent wins the year we played in Greenville and last year was very competitive in so many games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 8:58 PM

with Grantham they look good enough for a real shot at an ACC championship

Feb 5, 2018, 12:37 AM [ in reply to Re: It was spelled out for you chicken little's several times. ]
deadhorse-1.GIF(52.9 K)

As I have said a few times before, give Brad Brownell the same tool as Duke, UNCheat, or UVA, and he will win at the same level. To continue talking about it with our Admin expecting a lot with offering very little, we just keep pounding on the same horse year in and year out!!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Piers

Feb 5, 2018, 2:55 PM [ in reply to It was spelled out for you chicken little's several times. ]

Here are two I like.

Maybe if we could get a Laughing Donkey and a ferris wheel?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 4, 2018, 8:27 PM

Maybe the same thing TDP saw in Swinney

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

D Rad cut Brownell's buyout in half to $1.7 Mil after this

Feb 4, 2018, 8:37 PM

year. Otherwise it was $3.5 for two more years regardless. There weren't any sure things in the coaching world going. So far so good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He saw that he didnt have anyone better...

Feb 4, 2018, 9:53 PM

Glad Brown-L stuck with it though-

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who has won more ACC games at Clemson than Brad?***

Feb 5, 2018, 1:33 AM

Purnell and Ellis

Feb 5, 2018, 2:32 AM

but BB has a slightly better but still losing conference record. If he stays another year he should have the most conference wins.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Purnell and Ellis

Feb 5, 2018, 10:02 AM

They said Saturday that his 65 (now 66) wins in the ACC were the most by a Clemson coach ever.

You could not be more wrong, you could try...but you would

Feb 5, 2018, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Purnell and Ellis ]

not be successful...Brad has 16 more wins than OP, 10 more than Cliff and a better winning percentage than either...Where did you get your numbers from?

Re: Purnell and Ellis

Feb 5, 2018, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Purnell and Ellis ]

Barnes was the 2nd winning-est BB coach at Clemson with 23 wins in a season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson_Tigers_men%27s_basketball

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Re: Who has won more ACC games at Clemson than Brad?***

Feb 5, 2018, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Who has won more ACC games at Clemson than Brad?*** ]

Ellis won 25 games in 1987!

Feb 5, 2018, 2:13 AM

It wasn't "painfully obvious" and here is why.
1. Early on in Brownells tenure he was bit mightily by the transfer bug. Guys who came in under Oliver didn't mesh or like Brads way & transfer rules made it easy for them to bolt. So Brad had an uphill battle fielding a deep enough team to compete & he had nothing but building promises to recruit to.
2. KJ McDaniels leaving early killed momentum. Some would say 1 player shouldn't make that much difference. But it did. Brad finally had some depth with KJ & Jaron but it was dashed when KJ & Jaron couldnt carry them.
3. It took WAY too long to get the program the proper facilities. Brad now has built a great base of quality recruited players built on the shoulders of sime great transfers.
4. Is Brad a perfect coach? Nope. By many accounts he's a great X&O coach. He got criticized a lot for being too defensive minded leaving out the offense. But that was kinda the band he was dealt. OP ran 40 minutes of he!! on defense & Brad didn't have much on offense to work with. Now he's got shooters & built a brand of defense that he wants too. I think he's grown as a coach too coaching vs the big boys every year.
5. Stability. After the 2nd recruiting cycle & season in the new LJC everything is more stable. The weekly routine. The roster doesn't have gaps now. Recruiting has a great facility to attract taken now. The staff has improved with + & -.

DRad absolutely couldn't do anything without giving Brad the opportunity to produce with all the advantages of the facilities & $$ for staff, etc. Now he has it all & is producing. Now the litmus test is consistently producing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2018, 3:53 PM

When they say one player can't make that much of a difference, they say that trying to make "Their" case stronger when knowing one great player makes a difference, and DW4 says Heyyyyyyy!!!

Feb 5, 2018, 7:12 AM

Actually, didn’t Radakovich essentially give Brownell ‘a year to get it done’ with what could be described as a ‘contract restructure’?

Maybe the threat of losing the job - and some key players (primarily Devoe and Reed) - playing and scoring a lot better this year has something to do with it?

But I’m just a tnet idiot, so you probably shouldn’t put much stock into what I say....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Feb 5, 2018, 12:57 PM

> Actually, didn’t Radakovich essentially give Brownell
> ‘a year to get it done’ with what could be described
> as a ‘contract restructure’?
>
> Maybe the threat of losing the job - and some key
> players (primarily Devoe and Reed) - playing and
> scoring a lot better this year has something to do
> with it?
>
> But I’m just a tnet idiot, so you probably shouldn’t
> put much stock into what I say....

I agree 100% with your last point. In terms of DRad giving CBB one year to get done or he was gone, can you provide a link other than to a t-net message board? Obviously if we had a crappy year DRad would be forced to evaluate BBB’s status but don’t think an ultimatum was given

It's possible that if the right coach had said yes, BB would

Feb 5, 2018, 10:07 AM

not be here right now. I'm sure our AD was putting out feelers and gauging interest, at the very least.

It didn't make sense to fire a BB coach with a renovation...

Feb 5, 2018, 3:08 PM

for Littlejohn in the works. It sure didn't make sense to try to find another coach without having a home court to play on. Now it doesn't make sense to talk about replacing BB with this success.

Imo, had we not been way overdue for a big arena renovation project BB would have been gone. Sometimes people just get lucky, maybe it was just Clemson Fans' time to luck into a good situation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic