Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NICS Check - know what that is?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

NICS Check - know what that is?

Jun 13, 2016, 9:42 PM

It's the background check you do when you buy a gun. I was a buyer in the business for about 12 years.

You fill out the forms and there are questions about mental health, citizenship, etc.. There is actually a tricky question that if you just try to check no on everyone, you will be denied.

Once you have filled this out, you call basically call a background agency run by our lovely government. You tell them your FFL number, they deem you relevant and start asking you questions about the applicant. You answer the questions. If the applicant has given their SS# typically it's a quick yes or denial. If they didn't many times there is a "stay" on the applicant meaning they need to do more digging and they have 10 days to do so.

The transfer of a firearm legally is not an easy process and FULL of loop holes and checks and balances.

For all you liberals that have no clue how this works or think we need background checks, guess what......its been going on for two decades. And YES there is a question about mental health.

When Obama says we need tighter restrictions what the f else is he talking about?? It's tight enough as it is. (That's what she said)

Your welcome for the lesson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was this meant for P&R board?

Jun 13, 2016, 10:07 PM

Only asking cause the pro gun talk in here should be accompanied by a 2nd amendment LBOD.

Re: Was this meant for P&R board?

Jun 13, 2016, 10:15 PM

Yeah. My bad. On mobile.

Oh well I tried to derail this thread. But since it is unstoppable I mine as well...

Jun 13, 2016, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Was this meant for P&R board? ]

post some Warren Zevon.

http://youtu.be/qHDdqubE7zQ

That's all well and good, but how about sites like this?

Jun 13, 2016, 10:20 PM

https://www.armslist.com

Private sale exemption will always be tough to track.

Shouldnt you be focusing on the upcoming basketball season?

Jun 13, 2016, 10:31 PM

Instead of prolonging this poorly timed political thread?

This is the lunge. I came here for ####, ###, inappropriate jokes, and to get some reprieve from the insanity that is the mange. And here y'all are trying to have real talk when I finally got a night off. Oh well I guess the worlds atrocities refuse to happen on my schedule... even in the lunge sometimes.

Better?

Jun 13, 2016, 10:35 PM

Re: Better?

Jun 13, 2016, 10:37 PM
image.jpeg(42.1 K)

Sans guns

The pony asked the coyote to yell at the eagle as it flew overhead.

Jun 13, 2016, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Shouldnt you be focusing on the upcoming basketball season? ]

The coyote asked, "why don't you yell at the eagle?"
The pony replied, "because I'm just a little horse".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whats the difference between Amy Winehouse & Captain Morgan?

Jun 13, 2016, 11:30 PM

Captain Morgan comes alive when you add coke.

Too soon bro, too soon.***

Jun 13, 2016, 11:32 PM

How dark do we want to go with these jokes?***

Jun 13, 2016, 11:45 PM

Marlee Matlin on Family Guy dark enough?

Jun 13, 2016, 11:56 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fOrw9GTNdwY

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXqNnG8DaQ

What do Iron Man and Sarah Palin have in common?

Jun 14, 2016, 12:34 AM

They've both had a Downey Jr inside of them.

I don't think we've gone dark enough.

Jun 13, 2016, 11:58 PM [ in reply to How dark do we want to go with these jokes?*** ]
image.jpeg(365.5 K)

So a nut job too crazy to be trusted with a gun

Jun 13, 2016, 10:34 PM

Can be trusted not to lie on a form? Most mental health records have not yet been digitized so the gov't official on the other end of that phone call has no way of knowing if the person applying is unstable or not.

many doctors won't report nuts-afraid of hippa laws***

Jun 13, 2016, 10:37 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's what Obama's been talking about.

Jun 13, 2016, 10:46 PM

The plan does not include any new regulations, or an executive order. Rather, Obama has directed the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to “clarify” that anyone “engaged in the business” of selling firearms — even if the seller operates over the Internet or at gun shows — must get a license and conduct background checks.

In other words, Obama said, “It’s not where you do it, but what you do.”

And, Obama warned, those who “engage in the business” of selling firearms via the Internet or at gun shows but do not obtain a license and subject buyers to background checks will be federally prosecuted. A person who “willfully engages in the business of dealing in firearms without the required license is subject to criminal prosecution and can be sentenced up to five years in prison and fined up to $250,000,” the White House warned.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/01/sorting-out-obamas-gun-proposal/

You're welcome for the lesson.

Re: Here's what Obama's been talking about.

Jun 13, 2016, 10:52 PM

Whoa whoa whoa. Slow down trigger.

If I sell you a gun over the Internet, we have to transfer it through an FFL and go through NICS. If you are not doing that, you are breaking the law.

Your welcome for the lesson.

For a private sale in South Carolina, no background check

Jun 13, 2016, 11:03 PM

is required.

Seems like firearms dealers are at a disadvantage to private sellers in that regard. Not as many customers.

Re: For a private sale in South Carolina, no background check

Jun 14, 2016, 1:10 AM

Exactly. The problem is it's illegal to do a straw purchase. So let's say I sell you a gun without going through an FFL dealer and you shoot someone. I am liable as the registered owner. Simple as that.

The purpose of transferring through an FFL is to claim ownership. This you are not responsible for the death/manslaughter.

Obama's plan would affect private sellers.

Jun 13, 2016, 11:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's what Obama's been talking about. ]

According to current law, those “engaged in the business” of firearms dealing are required to be federally licensed, and must then subject buyers to background checks. But the law exempts any person “who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.”

In moving to crackdown on Internet sales, Obama is acting on the belief that too many sellers engaged in the business of selling firearms are purporting to be private sellers in order to avoid the need to be licensed (and in turn be required to obtain background checks).

You're welcome for the lesson.

Like anything else, who's going to enforce it?

Jun 13, 2016, 11:24 PM

On any given Sat in SC you can go to just about any flea market and if you talk to the right guy long enough to where he thinks he can trust you you can buy guns cash on the barrel head no names no questions asked. I'm guessing that's pretty true in NC and Ga too. They can't keep the obvious counterfeit merch out of flea markets, they won't stop guns either. I'm sure the local sheriff will make a sweep in an election year, but day to day it's wide open.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Again you don't even need to go to a UDP flea market.

Jun 13, 2016, 11:26 PM

http://www.armslist.com/posts/5576765/columbia-south-carolina-rifles-for-sale--ar-15-w--daniel-defense-furniture

This seller is under no obligation to do a background check. Some might ask for a copy of your DL, or make you fill out a bill of sale, but they do not have to report anything to anyone about the sale.

yes, I know

Jun 14, 2016, 12:39 AM

I filled it out when I bought a gun. Does being on the terror watch list preclude you from having a gun? No? It doesn't? Well that seems a little strange.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: yes, I know

Jun 14, 2016, 1:13 AM

I theory it should. You can't provide an SS# or a steady address, you can't get a gun.

So let's say you are a terrorist at a gun show. You buy a used gun. Well that gun is registered To someone. If you commit mirder with that gun, the registered owner is the culpable part of the equation. No hard tounder stand.

Why would someone on the terror watch list

Jun 14, 2016, 11:08 AM

not have a registered address or SS#?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, my welcome or your welcome?***

Jun 14, 2016, 11:29 AM

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic