Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Beach Music Friday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

Beach Music Friday

Aug 7, 2020, 9:06 AM

Those were the days going to North Myrtle Beach back in the 70's (it was called Ocean Drive then) https://www.scpictureproject.org/horry-county/ocean-drive.html

Fat Jacks was THE place to be late Saturday night since it was a private club it could stay open past midnight (2am). Great music and the people there were only from SC and NC-PERIOD. There were no Yankees flying their OHIO State crap. Fat Jacks had a dance floor inside and outside overlooking the beach. Sand was everywhere including inside the joint but that was part of the allure. No one was on their cell phone texting or facebooking, people were there for three reasons, drink alcohol, listen to great live beach bands and meet the opposite sex. Sadly beach music people are dying out and so is the music. On a typical weekend night at the beach you could go to nightclubs and hotel lounges to see great beach bands perform. The Catalinas, The Embers, The Drifters, Georgia Profits, Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose, Chairmen of the Board, The Shakers, etc all playing at different places all about 2 miles within each other and all the same weekend. Radio stations played mostly beach music. In high school and in college it was common rent a house on the beach for the week. In high school it was during spring break and during college it was the first week after exams. A group of guys would rent a house and a group of girls would rent a house all on Ocean Blvd in Ocean Drive. About every house in Ocean Drive was rented by either a group of friends or fraternities/sororities from all over the Carolinas. It was a blast. We had the best parties at tour house and we served PJ from a large cooler, you dipped your dixie cup in the cooler to serve yourself. Is PJ even a thing now? Is dancing even a thing now with young people?
http://www.thecollegesurvivalhandbook.com/2010/08/how-to-make-pj.html

You could actually drive your car on the beach from fall thru spring. BUT the beach decided to take the route of NASCAR and go corporate. Most all the houses that were on the front row are now condos/hotels. There were no biker weeks (either white or black).
Good times sadly missed.
RIP Ocean Drive.

Enjoy....... By the way the best beach bands had a brass section.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IopuCWnXKLo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXWgvC0ywM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75960OoclXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4sn9Jo-rNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSOod2p-Xtg&list=RDQMeYc_VG7G4dg&start_radio=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IR_mTe-1wM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Calling LBB! Let's hear your stories!!

Aug 7, 2020, 9:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My older sisters taught me to shag when I was 8 years old.

Aug 7, 2020, 6:42 PM

So, when I enrolled in Clemson, the Bookstore (bar) had a Beach Night on Tuesday. It was great. At the time, only a handful of guys could shag, and I was one of them. It got even better in 1980 when Bollwinkles opened. Lots of beach and funk. The guys who brought Bollwinkles to Clemson used to manage "Crazy Zack's" in North Myrtle Beach.

I worked at Bollwinkles for three years, DJing and managing the bar. Kurt Weatherly, (Shawns brother) and I managed the bar the last year. Bollwinkles closed in 1984 as a result of the change in drinking age.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My older sisters taught me to shag when I was 8 years old.

Aug 7, 2020, 8:52 PM

I knew Kurt growing up.

General Johnson and the Chairmen of the Board

Aug 7, 2020, 9:27 AM

Oh, the great times and memories of my favorite beach music band. General Johnson and the Chairmen of the Board used to regularly play in OD and at the Holiday Inn of North Myrtle. Many, many times my fellow Clemson grads and I would go to see them.
Norman Johnson and Danny Woods are now deceased but their music is now carried on by member Kenny Knox with his saxophone and a new band that honors the Chairmen with their music.

I still love watching Chairmen videos via youtube. Here's one...
https://youtu.be/rVrysQFFmcE

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: General Johnson and the Chairmen of the Board

Aug 7, 2020, 10:21 AM

I LOVE sax and horns in a band.

Gen Johnson was also the lead singer of The Showmen

Aug 7, 2020, 1:46 PM [ in reply to General Johnson and the Chairmen of the Board ]

(It Will Stand and 39-21-40 Shape) before he moved over to the Chairmen Of The Board

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, he had a great voice.***

Aug 7, 2020, 6:51 PM

Norman Johnson wrote the song "Patches" , but Clarence

Aug 7, 2020, 6:50 PM [ in reply to General Johnson and the Chairmen of the Board ]

Carter made it a hit. Norman Johnson would really put some emotion into the song. They came to Clemson a couple of times a year in the early 80's.

Re: Beach Music Friday

Aug 7, 2020, 9:34 AM

Great times....and the” original“ Spanish Galleon bar (gone now) was an ocean front dive in O.D... Beer and dance floor.

You stopped my progress this morning!

Aug 7, 2020, 9:36 AM

My wife never reads or pays attention to ANYTHING on TNET. She heard one song from your post and locked me down in your post. Haha! I was more into ROCK. She loved and loves Beach Music. As she just said,"It's a wonder we ever got together." I could fake loving Beach Music enough to get by. Thanks for bringing back some good memories!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You stopped my progress this morning!

Aug 7, 2020, 10:22 AM

Sheesh, there's something seriously wrong with you!

Re: You stopped my progress this morning!

Aug 7, 2020, 12:23 PM

Whoa! My bad! I can now see how that was misinterpreted. The wife was just interested in the music. I was kept in that post for a bit. Nothing more.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2020, 9:38 AM

Memories, memories. Back in the early 70's, my college frat buddies and I rented houses a couple of blocks from downtown OD. We would sleep late of course, go to the beach, play ball, go to the clubs to play pool, eat something and sober up, go back to the beach, go to the house, shower and dress, go eat, head back to the clubs ending up at The Spanish Galleon. If I had a dollar for every beer college kids drank at OD and every time songs like, "Little Red Book", "Rainy Day Bells" or "This Diamond Ring" were played I would be more comfortable in this my retirement. Of course it helped when girls, from northern schools, making their first trip to OD were staying in houses on the street. Memories, memories.

We used to rent a place...

Aug 7, 2020, 9:46 AM

that was about a block down the street and across the road from Crazy Zacks.

You could walk to everything (Fat Harolds, The Pad, Crazy Zacks and The Gallion).

Of course, venturing a little further south down to the Afterdeck, Studebakers or 2001 VIP required a drive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Huge Beach music fan...

Aug 7, 2020, 9:38 AM

I learned to shag for the sole purpose of meeting girls because so few guys knew how to do it.

My favorite beach bands were Band of Oz, Chairmen of the Board, and the Catalinas.

Re: Huge Beach music fan...

Aug 7, 2020, 10:01 AM

Great, great memories. Don't forget "The Pad" in Ocean Drive. If I remember right, the "Spanish Galleon" and "The Pad" were very close to each other. The Shag will die along with the music. Wish I could revisit those days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Huge Beach music fan...

Aug 7, 2020, 10:31 AM

The Pad, Fat Harolds, and The Gallion were all pretty close together. In fact, The Pad and Fat Harolds were owned by the same person.

You can revisit those days (sort of) if you attend SOS at

Aug 7, 2020, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Huge Beach music fan... ]

NMB...Fall Migration and Spring Safari along with Mid Winters (when they restart because of the virus)

Anybody familiar with the song "Cheather's Never Win"? There

Aug 7, 2020, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Huge Beach music fan... ]

was a promotional album with a 7.5 minute version of the song that was not for sale, it was a promotional album. I called Chris Beachly at "It Will Stand Music" in 1980. He sold me the album for $6. Two years later, I was Djing at a private beach club in Greenville and I was playing that song. A guy was making a bee line for the DJ booth and asked me if that was a tape or an album. I showed him the album and he offered me $100 for the song. I wouldn't sell it. The song was a big hit for Love Committee. They broke up in the early 80's and one of lead singers became the "Eddie Kendrick" voice for the reunion of the Temptations in the early 80's.

Amen. That was how I met girls at Clemson, shagging.***

Aug 7, 2020, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Huge Beach music fan... ]

Aug 7, 2020, 9:48 AM

I had to chime in on this one. That period was a wonderful time, especially being young during those years,,, It is truly a shame that kids today aren't able to enjoy the venues we had, the music and dancing...

I also remember in 77 during Easter weekend, natural light was introduced around that time and there were big natty light and budweiser hot air balloons on the beach along with beer trucks....

I always knew I would not live too far from the Ocean....

Pics of Fat Harold’s Clemson Bust @ his OD place & of LBB with GF#1.

Aug 7, 2020, 10:02 AM

Thanks Tiger Contractor for your history & pictorial of the great Shag Dance!

GO TiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice!***

Aug 7, 2020, 10:00 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pics inside Fat Harold’s @ OD, SC.

Aug 7, 2020, 10:14 AM

Oh, listen to Beach Music on your cell free 24/7 at JUKIN’ OLDIES.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To the right of the front door were two of the restrooms...

Aug 7, 2020, 1:37 PM

There was always a line...You didn't buy the beer you just rented it

Aug 7, 2020, 10:19 AM

wow... Debby Dobbins 'How you gonna feel'

probably my favorite beach tune of all time.. and a fairly obscure one at that.. so many great memories associated with that song..

thanks for posting!!

Aug 7, 2020, 10:20 AM

Thank you! Back when OD had a truly happy meaning.

Don't forget The Tams********

Aug 7, 2020, 10:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't forget The Tams********

Aug 7, 2020, 10:33 AM

For sure and so many great groups that our grandkids will never get to enjoy, The Isley Brothers, Doug Clarke and The Hot Nuts!

Do any of you remember

Aug 7, 2020, 10:44 AM

The Pauley pavilion at Pauleys Island? Spent many a great evening there in the early 60s! I still have a tshirt from the Bowery in MB.

I bet there isn’t a sole on tnet who ever visited the Sunset Lodge in Georgetown! You didn’t go there to hear the Tams or Clark and the hot nuts,

Re: Do any of you remember

Aug 7, 2020, 11:07 AM

Forrest, since you bring up that fine old Georgetown establishment, Sunset Lodge, do you know who bankrolled it? It's sports related....

Aug 7, 2020, 11:24 AM

There were rumors that Tom Yawkey had an financial interest in that place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2020, 11:59 AM

Mr Yawkey was THE guy! A favorite stop for big league teams as they made their way north when spring training broke. I actually went inside in the summer of 1963 but quickly saw that I was way out of my league.... in a number of ways. I have yet to read the book that was written about that very famous SC landmark.

Aug 7, 2020, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Do any of you remember ]

I think it was more than rumors about Yawkey. From what I have heard he paid for the doctor to check out the young ladies on a weekly basis. I suspect some of his Red Sox players enjoyed their trips to Georgetown...

If you missed The Pad at OD, you missed the beginning

Aug 7, 2020, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Do any of you remember ]
The Pad.jpg(134.8 K)

The Pad, Ocean Drive’s decades-old hangout, was the life of the party. It was the late 1950s, and Ocean Drive in North Myrtle was the place to meet and mingle.

Re: If you missed The Pad at OD, you missed the beginning

Aug 7, 2020, 2:00 PM

Back in the early 80's when the annual shag-fest, "SOS" (Society of Stranders), first began there was a guy named Mitch Barkoot (spell?) who was in his 90's at the time, and he never sat down, danced with every girl in the club, and drank George Dickel out of a mason jar. Legend has it (at least the story I heard) that as a young man Mitch and his buddies would crash a Black nightclub somewhere in Columbia called "The Big Apple", an old abandoned church they had turned into a dance hall. Mitch and his pals would climb into the choir loft (a little racial irony, perhaps) and look down at everyone doing the Lindy and the Hop and the whatever, and became determined to learn how to do this crazy dance. So they copied a lot of the moves and came up with a few steps of their own, brought it to the beach during Spring and Summer breaks, and it became instantly popular - the new dance became known as "The Shag", and the rest is history.

I've attached a link below to one of the greatest shag tunes ever... EVER. I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed this thread. Thanks!

(and Go Tigers!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbKm76QVJfo

Yes, I remember Pauley's Pavilion very well

Aug 7, 2020, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Do any of you remember ]

Before playing tenor sax and singing professionally with an R&B/Beach Music recording group, I was in the Clemson based group, the "Caravelles". We played at Pauley's Pavilion all summer in 1963 or 1964.

Those were some good times - especially with free beer for the band..... :) I even remember a few nights.....:)

Oh - and I think the Sunset Lodge

Aug 7, 2020, 12:16 PM

was for shady ladies, IIRC. Of course, I never went there.

Re: Oh - and I think the Sunset Lodge

Aug 7, 2020, 12:29 PM

I remember the Caravelles very well. Met a lot of nice ladies at Pauleys. Sunset had a very different group of nice ladies! Many were school teachers ..., I was told. The night I went to the Lodge the parking lot was full of Cadillacs and Lincolns with state government tags with very low numbers! I stayed,maybe five minutes!

Aug 7, 2020, 12:58 PM

Was it the Caravelles, or Chevelles (something like that) that had some Clemson guys who played in it. One of the guys in some of my classes from Sumter Phil _______ played drums.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2020, 1:06 PM

Caravelles. The drummer when I was with them was a guy named Tom Flowe. I think Tom was from Charlotte. I'm generally not a fan of drummers, but Tom was a good one.

Aug 7, 2020, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh - and I think the Sunset Lodge ]

You're thinking of Phil Anderson from Sumter. He was the drummer after Tom and I had moved on:

http://heybabydays.com/Caravelles.pdf

Re: Yes, I remember Pauley's Pavilion very well

Aug 7, 2020, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Yes, I remember Pauley's Pavilion very well ]

Gosh, bet I've seen/heard you perform :)

Pic of TAMS, Band of OZ & a Funny Shag Cartoon.

Aug 7, 2020, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Don't forget The Tams******** ]

I saw them several times.

Where is Bennie King & The Drifters in the conversation***

Aug 7, 2020, 10:53 AM

Re: Where is Bennie King & The Drifters in the conversation***

Aug 7, 2020, 11:07 AM

I remember Ben E King and “Stand By Me” very well. He is a NC boy. From Henderson as I recall,

Many of you are old enough

Aug 7, 2020, 11:12 AM

To remember the Central Dance Association at Clemson. They were able to book a lot of these Beach Music groups tho perform at various dances at Tigertown. Those weekends were the very best of times at Clemson in the 60’s. Agree?

Re: Many of you are old enough

Aug 7, 2020, 11:29 AM

Great times!

Ike & Tina Turner Review, nothing like it!***

Aug 7, 2020, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Many of you are old enough ]

Re: Ike & Tina Turner Review, nothing like it!***

Aug 7, 2020, 12:01 PM

Remember Julie London? Not exactly Beach Music, l loved that performance but many did not.

Aug 7, 2020, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Many of you are old enough ]

Yes, indeed. I was on the freshman dance committee and we had Ray Charles, Lionel Hampton and several others. The one I most enjoyed was the Rat Dance where we had the Shirelles. They were backed up by King Curtis and his band. He was my idol on tenor sax, so I spoke with him a little while they were setting up. He invited me to get my horn and join him on stage for the night, which I did - and that night was when I really learned to play rhythm & blues..... mostly by listening to him play a riff and then trying to copy it. He was one of the best horn men I have ever heard.

Aug 7, 2020, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Many of you are old enough ]

Oh heck yeah! Thanks to the CDA I got to see Chuck Berry up close.

Also, no one has mentioned Otis Redding! Loved him.

Aug 7, 2020, 1:20 PM

If any of you were there in 1962, we had Ray Charles. He was so stoned he fell off the piano bench. After they picked him up, he played an alto sax solo and was incredibly good on the horn, which I never knew he played. In fact, it was the only time I ever saw or heard him play it.

The Drifters had some great music...

Aug 7, 2020, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Where is Bennie King & The Drifters in the conversation*** ]

My personal favorite is "Up on the Roof"

I’m very disappointed

Aug 7, 2020, 12:33 PM

That none of you Beach Music guys mentioned the best one of all.... Cliff Ellis!

Speaking of Cliff if you ever listen to the song Tell Mama

Aug 7, 2020, 1:57 PM

by Etta James about half way through you'll hear a tambourine that was being played by Cliff Ellis. He just happened to be in the studio when it was being recorded, picked it up and joined in. Not originally in the plan but they liked it and left it in.

Re: I’m very disappointed

Aug 7, 2020, 9:09 PM [ in reply to I’m very disappointed ]

And how about Bill Deal and the Rhondelles?

Cherry Pie by Marvin & Johnny is one of my parents favorite Shag songs. It’s funny, when we used to go to family weddings in Charleston it didn’t matter what song was playing, everyone on the dance floor shagged.

Aug 7, 2020, 12:54 PM

If you don't get chills listening to it and remember the great times at the beach then something wrong witcha!

...and don't forget The Beach Club on HWY 17...most of the

Aug 7, 2020, 1:42 PM

best beach bands performed there...Jackie Wilson, Bo Diddly, and on and on

Cliff Ellis would love this thread.***

Aug 7, 2020, 2:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Aug 7, 2020, 3:25 PM

Anybody remember The Beach Club on Hwy 17 up near Windy Hill?

Aug 7, 2020, 4:16 PM

Closing comment on this great thread.

THE VERY BEST THING ABOUT THOSE WONDERFUL CLEMSON DANCE WEEKENDS WAS ...........

WIMMENS ON CAMPUS. A RARITY IN THE EARLY60s

First Exposed to Beach Music Around 1982

Aug 7, 2020, 4:34 PM

as a teen at Morehead City NC working on a fishing charter. The owner loved Beach Music and was a huge shag dancers. I had never heard music like this before and it hooked me, I can still smell salt air and a mix of baby oil and cocoa butter. Oh to be a teen again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic