Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo gonna do, what Dabo gonna do
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Dabo gonna do, what Dabo gonna do

Oct 30, 2015, 1:51 AM

And we are all the better for it!

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ncaa-college-football-clemson-tigers-coach-dabo-swinney-south-carolina-steve-spurrier/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo gonna do, what Dabo gonna do

Oct 30, 2015, 2:11 AM

Wow that was a great read. Thanks!

This quote tells me all I need to know about this writer:

Oct 30, 2015, 3:41 AM

"There is seemingly very little calculation to his public statements; the man believes what he believes, and if you can’t handle it, then you might as well step out of the way."

I think all of these things ARE calculated, and smartly so. Dabo used to be a sales guy. He is still one. Salespeople know you do not go into a situation unprepared. Look at our team. Do they look prepared? At 7-0, with only a little under 7 minutes of NOT having a lead all freaking season, I think our team looks pretty d@mn prepared.

Are these speeches and rants prepared? I think most who are Tiger fans think we know that he waits, like all salesmen for Opportunities. He is prepared for the opportunity to sell himself and his program. You think he really didn't know the emotion and the big stage he was on when he threw down "BYOG"?? (I'm sure he had a great, humble soundbite planned in the event of a loss as well, don't you?)

He comes off as aw shucks because he wants you to underestimate him. He tells us in the preseason, (paraphrasing here) we have a chance to be a great team, and after a couple of seasons of Dabo, I believe him. That's not sunshine-pumping, that's just past experience dictating future results. He isn't lying, he TOLD you, me, the media, and every team we play, that we could be a great team. We're part of the way there, but he is already right. If he told me we wouldn't be very good, I'd believe that, too, but it wouldn't be a cop-out in case we lose.

He's already right. He told us, and we have seen, from ND to Miami, we CAN be a great team.

"...seemingly very little calculation..."? Mr. Weinreb, I can tell there is very little calculation to your assessment to a coach that is still bewilderingly underrated, sitting at number 3 today, with a chance to do more. Dabo has probably already calculated what to say to YOU if and when he meets you.

**To be fair, I don't think the article is terrible--it's not even really insulting, but definitely a condescending tone, but this is some pompous writing, and it frustrates me that people don't think he is serious just because of how he sounds or the emotion he shows.

Message was edited by: TheRawPaw®

Message was edited by: TheRawPaw®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dear old Grandmother gave me some advise...

Oct 30, 2015, 6:06 AM

when I was just a child.

She said, "Honey, them Yankee will come down here and they'll look down on you because you talk slow. They think because you talk slow you think slow. You let em' be, when they think they're smarter than you that puts you one step ahead of em'."

That writer thinks Dabo's lack of a public display of sophisticated speech indicates that Dabo has an unsophisticated mind. Maybe that makes more sense to a some than Granny's speech to me. It's exactly the same thing. Granny warned me about people like that writer.

Dabo is an MBA, that's Masters of Business. It's not an undergraduate degree. Only a moron would ignore the fact that Dabo does everything Dabo does with the passion of a raging fire. When one takes the writer's position that Dabo does what Dabo does from the gut he removes the function of the brain which is contrary to what the evidence indicates about Dabo.

Dabo is a master at the manipulation of other. He's masterful at selecting words and forming phrases which become profound to the minds of everyone.

He bich slapped two major TV Networks, ESPiN and CBS, into submission this season and it took less than fifteen minutes in front of a microphone to do it. It was alot easier for Dabo to talk Clemson into the top four than it was preparing for those 7 games in a row we won.

It really doesn't matter if one agrees with granny or not. One may continue to believe that Dabo is just a lucky sucker who stumbled into one of the best coaching jobs on the finest college campus in the country then worked his team into the top of the charts, if that's what one wants. It's clearly and exactly what Dabo wants too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One point was correct ..

Oct 30, 2015, 9:09 AM

Your response is correct
But the writer got one thing right - dabo really does not let critics affect what he does or how he does things
"Making fun" pundits just roll right off him
He is wise in that way. But it is a hard thing to do - to take nasty "funny" hits and not let then affect how you perceive yourself

And on a Side note - I like your Grandma!

Nice assessment

Oct 30, 2015, 6:07 AM [ in reply to This quote tells me all I need to know about this writer: ]

And I get what you are saying, but I think that the writer isn't being overtly or subtly critical, but more pointing out what Dabo "seems" to be to others.

While his wording certainly sounds rife with judgement, you shouldn't lose the feel of the article in its totality.

To me, the author is complimentary in the regard that he clearly understands that Dabo is doing it his own way, and even if he comes off as "aww shucks", he is winning with a formula of his own. Further, Dabo has never let his detractors or those who paint him with a bad brush to ever sway him from his vision.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think you missed my intent.

The writer would have been better off leaving out the condescension, but they often do that to appeal to a larger audience.

Nothing is more flattering to me than...

Oct 30, 2015, 6:17 AM

condescension. It really gives me that 'I love, respect and want you,' feeling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most writers who see their bylines in print have a higher

Oct 30, 2015, 6:27 AM [ in reply to This quote tells me all I need to know about this writer: ]

regard for their opinions than others who read them.

In other words they are here by the grace of the Almighty to impart their intelligence upon us, whether we agree or not.

Kind of reminds me of..............TigerNet! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most writers who see their bylines in print have a higher

Oct 30, 2015, 7:11 AM

Bless his heart. WienerReb?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Writer, no, but as a commentator, I resemble that remark.***

Oct 30, 2015, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Most writers who see their bylines in print have a higher ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic