Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Everyone giving Spiller credit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Everyone giving Spiller credit

Feb 5, 2015, 8:23 AM

And rightfully so, but I think Woody Dantzler deserves some. He showed you can win big at Clemson (2000), you can be a heisman contender(2001), you can set offensive records-1st QB 2k pass and 1k run... Woody made Clemson cool again and revived the program coming off a 3-8 year in 1998. I argue no Dantzler, no Spiller.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What? Dance that back by me 1 more time. LOL!

Feb 5, 2015, 8:26 AM

GoTiGERS...keep dancing & winning tOO!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Might as well go back to 1978***

Feb 5, 2015, 8:28 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Gte what you're talking about, But with CJ & Dabo

Feb 5, 2015, 8:28 AM

the HC thought Dabo was wasting his time recruiting CJ because that type of player didn'y come to Clemson.

Give TB the credit due, He hired, Brad Scott(kept Daddy from getting him back at FSU),he got Dabo back in to coaching,got Tony Elliott yo Clemson, and he convinced the higher ups that the facilities needed to be massively upgraded, but Dabo's the Man.

CDS has done what he has done his whole life - worked to

Feb 5, 2015, 8:32 AM

produce and then work some more.

And then grab every opportunity and work some more.

All with integrity and honesty and faith.

From high school on, apparently.

An incredible story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I do like to remind everyone about James Davis when we have

Feb 5, 2015, 8:35 AM

this discussion. Not only was James a big-time recruit from out of state, but he was a freshman when we were recruiting CJ and not only did he not act intimidated by it, he actively pushed to get CJ here.

There are usually a lot of smaller things that open a flood gate like our recruiting. To me, James Davis' decision to 1) come to Clemson back when we were a school for "3 star" types of players and 2) his active support of bringing CJ to campus were big parts of the resurgence of our recruiting success. I also give TB a ton of credit. And then, yes of course, Dabo's passion, drive and vision, and CJ's courage to follow his heart. The rest, as they say, is history.

null

Dabo is the reason CJ came to Clemson

Feb 5, 2015, 8:46 AM

something CJ has fully acknowledged on more than one occasion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Everyone giving Spiller credit

Feb 5, 2015, 8:49 AM

Well could go all the way back to Frank Howard, Riggs, or Heisman but the point is that CJ had an impact on the field and in recruiting. He has also remained an outspoken supporter of the football program and frequently visits which also helps support the family atmosphere. CJ has had an impact unlike any other person in the program besides, Danny Ford and Dabo himself. However, like Dabo said, he wouldn't be where he is without CJ.

This era started with James Davis. Period.***

Feb 5, 2015, 8:56 AM

You are correct...***

Feb 5, 2015, 9:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This era started with James Davis. Period.***

Feb 5, 2015, 9:18 AM [ in reply to This era started with James Davis. Period.*** ]

No it didn't, This era started with Tajh, Nuk, Andre, Dwayne and Sammy. The point being made about Spiller is that we probably would not have gotten Sammy without Spiller. It was Spillers decision to come to Clemson that laid the foundation for the Dabo Swinney era. Perhaps James coming to Clemson helped but it didn't have the effect that Spiller had on Sammy's recruitment. Really Sammy's credit goes to Brad Scott though.

The resurgence of Clemson Football started

Feb 5, 2015, 9:25 AM [ in reply to This era started with James Davis. Period.*** ]

With Woody. Without him, who says TB wouldnt have been let go after 4-5 years? Woody single handly carried TBs team in 2000 and 2001 and set the stage for Whitehurst success which made Clemson a viable option for Davis and Spiller. If we were still going 3-8, 6-6 they would have given us a look.

*wouldn't

Feb 5, 2015, 9:26 AM

Re: The resurgence of Clemson Football started

Feb 5, 2015, 9:34 AM [ in reply to The resurgence of Clemson Football started ]

I can buy into this. Woody made us a contender in games we would have been blown out in. He had little to work with and brought us back to mediocrity with a hope for some upsets.

How bout that 500+ yards vs NCST

Feb 5, 2015, 10:15 AM

Maybe the greatest single game performance by a Tiger EVER

2001-2004 we were barely above .500 in the league

Feb 5, 2015, 9:44 AM [ in reply to The resurgence of Clemson Football started ]

We had back to back terrible recruiting classes in 2003 and 2004. The only thing that we really had to smile about was USC being a laughing stock under Holtz.

Davis and Spiller definitely put us back on the map. Davis put some life back into the program and then Spiller took it up another notch. Landing Spiller was huge, not just because of what he was able to do on the field, but because it showed we could go down into Florida and beat out programs like FSU, UF, and Miami for a 5-star player in their own back yard. Sure we had recruited Florida before and gotten some pretty good players, but not somebody of this caliber that those schools really wanted. We didn't go down there and clean up the crumbs, we got a piece of the main course. Now we routinely go down into Florida and sign 4-5 star kids that those schools would love to have, but these kids want to go to Clemson instead.

AMEN!!!! James was instrumental in getting Spiller

Feb 5, 2015, 9:42 AM [ in reply to This era started with James Davis. Period.*** ]

We got national exposure with Thunder & Lightning which opened the floodgates to getting elite talent out of the state of FL.

James Davis is the man!!!!!

Bingo***

Feb 5, 2015, 11:15 AM [ in reply to This era started with James Davis. Period.*** ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The credit should really go to Thomas G. Clemson.

Feb 5, 2015, 8:56 AM

No Clemson, no Dantzler, no Spiller

I've hardly seen anyone putting credit where it is due on this one.

I loved Woody, but he did not get national attention.

Feb 5, 2015, 9:27 AM

Your right, he set new offensive records and was in the Heisman conversation, but he wasn't invited to new york and hardly any big media discussed his being the first to eclipse 2k1k in a season.
I loved watching him, and he is one of my favorite Tigers, but CJ changed the national view of the program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I loved Woody, but he did not get national attention.

Feb 5, 2015, 9:37 AM

I never understood why Woody got so little love. The guy had heart and was very capable. I still believe he was better than M. Vick and Vick had a lot more to work with than did Woody. Had Woody enjoyed much of a line, or receivers, those years would have been much better than they were.

Uhh, Nelson Welch.***

Feb 5, 2015, 10:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic