Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Streeter says emphatically that best player will win QB battle
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

TNET: Streeter says emphatically that best player will win QB battle

Jul 18, 2018, 8:01 AM

Streeter says emphatically that best player will win QB battle

Clemson quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter fielded all the tough questions at head coach Dabo Swinney’s media golf outing Tuesday at The Reserve, and the big takeaway is that both Trevor Lawrence and Kelly Bryant will play this season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Streeter says emphatically that best player will win QB battle

Jul 18, 2018, 9:13 AM

Wow... is it just me or was that a terrible indictment of Kelly Bryant wrapped as a compliment?

He may have learned that he needs to keep his head up but do you really think that he has learned to control his body language enough to fool his teammates, who probably know him better than his family right now, since the spring game?

That says to me that he's two or three bad quarters away from the bench for good.

Jul 18, 2018, 9:22 AM

Here's to hoping we don't see 2 or 3 bad quarters from any of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ty Dugatiger I agree! It is sad I get the feeling

Jul 18, 2018, 9:28 AM

some on here actually want KB to fail to give TL a shot. This type issue occurred before years ago and it caused a division on the team. We don't need that if we are going to contend for a National Championship. Pull for the Tigers as a team to do well! Not just the guy you want to see throw the football! Team fans are best.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ty Dugatiger I agree! It is sad I get the feeling

Jul 18, 2018, 10:01 AM

I want the best players to play the most, and I want the others to get some PT so they are ready if/when their number is called. I don't want players to play just because they have been there the longest.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2018, 1:43 PM

problem is you have to earn it, and the way to earn it is in a game. So until you get in game you really dont earn it. Double speak for sure, wish the best would play and not just the most experienced. KB is our starter for sure. Will only change if we lose. I am sure all the high and mighties will go on about not criticizing team. Dont fret, by mid season I'll be proven right again. At least next year the coaches wont really have to make a choice

Jul 19, 2018, 10:01 AM

Well, you must earn some of it in how you practice. We've seen guys who lit it up in games, but didn't start, because of how they practice. One part of me says I don't care how they practice, as long as they light it up in the games, but that's not really practical. Practice performance almost always is the best predictor of game performance. Having said all that, I fully expect TL to practice, at least as well as or better than the rest. With all the accolades given to KB, he has dinked and dunked us to success, and until the Sugar Bowl that was good enough. Now he has been exposed, and I expect we'll see a loaded box every game. Here's to hoping that whoever wins the QB competition will be able to fully utilize our stellar receivers.

Jul 18, 2018, 1:58 PM [ in reply to ty Dugatiger I agree! It is sad I get the feeling ]

You couldn't be more wrong, but most of you don't read and listen to what is being said...all you hear is "Kelly sucks", when most aren't saying that.

You read everything I've ever said, it comes down to "I think Kelly will start game 1, no doubt...earning will likely be in live action"...."To hold off a passer like Trevor, Kelly will have to have improved his deficiencies that are glaring to anyone that looks at more than just his highlight reels."...and" Kelly does NOT have to do bad for a generational talent to still outperform him and lose the job...he could play WELL, the best he could, and if the other guy is still better and gives us "the best chance to win ALL games", he might not stay the starter.

That's completely different from "I hope he fails".

Jul 18, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Streeter says emphatically that best player will win QB battle ]

When was this interview? I didn't see any of these comments in any of the articles I read yesterday on several sites.
Not a positive on KB's ability to bounce back from mistakes. I think we all saw the surprisingly sad body language at the Spring Game.

Jul 18, 2018, 10:58 AM

The interview was yesterday and you wouldn't have seen it on any other site because it was a one-on-one interview.

Jul 18, 2018, 2:45 PM

PLEASE NIKKI DO NOT BRING FACTS TO THIS BOARD. SHAME.

Jul 18, 2018, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Streeter says emphatically that best player will win QB battle ]

Bless his heart bc he is a Good guy, but his athletic ability is not even close to that of a DW4 when it comes to throwing a FB, I can honestly say that his arm talent ain't as good as his coach was back in his day as Clemson's QB, and, we have had a lot of Clemson QB's that has had a much better arm throwing the ball than that of Kelly Bryant's ability to accurately throw the ball down field. KB's best ability is running the FB but, I can not honestly say that he is a better runner than DW4. I think that KB is a much better runner than Tajh Boyd was, then again, TB was a much much better passer than KB will ever be. In no means am I attempting to slice and dice KB, but the truth is the truth IMO. I'm not even going to say that TL is a better QB than KB bc I haven't seen TL play a down of college FB when the game means a lot if we win. TL could be dud in college FB, but we don't know that until he has had his chance in a real game behind center, and then there is also Chase Brice, and that is two highly rated QB's that should be given a chance before KB is named the season starter bc we have seen what KB can and can't do. We saw against Bama but, Bama wasn't the only team that made it tough for KB and our offense, Bama is the team that beat us even with our better than average D that kept us in a few games last season bc of their strength!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you are seeing what you want to see***

Jul 18, 2018, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Streeter says emphatically that best player will win QB battle ]

Jul 18, 2018, 9:21 AM

I look forward to seeing who wins this battle. We are so fortunate that we have 3 great guys who have the potential to lead us to another Natty. Still, I can't help but remember the saga that unfolded with Cole Stoudt. I just want us to get it right from the get go. We now are under a spot light with national attention which is a nice place to be. Let's show the world what it's like to be great even though we are not AL or in the secheat.

Jul 18, 2018, 12:42 PM

vs. '14, we don't open with UGA, who had Mr. Gurley and his two freshmen backups ripping through the no. 1 defense that year. I think both play nearly equal time vs. Furman, KB starts AnM, and TL comes in once the game is in or out of control.

I would bet Dabo may have learned plenty from that game.

Jul 18, 2018, 3:07 PM

I agree. KB first half vs FirMan. TL the second half, with a sprinkling of Bryce. I hope it's a comfortable lead going into halftime. This way, TL will get plenty of meaningful snaps to start the second half. Unless, of course, KB is stinking up the joint, which I don't foresee.

Jul 18, 2018, 9:38 AM

By the time you a senior, you should have confidence and/or the coaches should. That is not happening. Will see. That being said is Kelly could do enough to win Furman. He must be a great practce qb playing against the best defense. hmmm.

Jul 18, 2018, 10:15 AM

Last year, Kelly did enough to win Kent State, Auburn, Lousiville, BC, VT, Wake, GT, NC State, FSU, Citadel, Coots, and Miami.

It KILLS me that you people refuse to give the guy the credit he has EARNED. What you guys are doing to this ALL IN TIGER is just wrong.

Jul 18, 2018, 2:03 PM

^ here's one of those "highlight reel" guys....yep, wasn't the RB's that scored the majority vs FSU, wasn't the RB's that scored the majority vs VT, wasn't the defensive 11 sacks vs AU...the whole game was played by one guy...KB. We lined up one man vs 11 for 2 sides of the ball

Jul 18, 2018, 3:42 PM

He said Kelly did enough to win those games. Which is absolutely correct. Wouldn’t really call that KB pumping. I didn’t hear anyone complaining when he completed his first 15 passes against the great Mami D. I out my faith in Dabo and Co. we’ve got 2 or 3 QBs that can win games for us. Can’t wait to see them in action!

No matter who starts at QB - I’m gonna be all in behind the TIGERS!

Jul 18, 2018, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Streeter says emphatically that best player will win QB battle ]

He is practicing against the best D that a player better not get to close to him, and if they do, Dabo will Tazz out on the one that does get to close!!! H&ll, I would have a ton of confidence under those conditions!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coaches said “everything counts” until spring game

Jul 18, 2018, 9:57 AM

And as Streeter stated ... it will be self-evident. It was in the spring game.

Jul 18, 2018, 11:11 AM

It won't be easy for Trevor Lawrence to win the starting job from Kelly Bryant before the Furman game. The Furman game will most likely be one that doesn't require a great performance from either QB. They both should look capable.
Texas A&M will be a hostile environment played at College Station. Not a great situation for a Freshman to make his first start. I am glad with have the experience of KB to lead us into this game with a multitude of experience. With that said, I believe that Trevor will be ready when he gets his chance.
Trevor may not start, but will win a game like A&M. It will be in his best interest to come in when the time is right and his services are needed. Trevor will take the reigns without the hype that goes with being a freshman starter and will make his case to be "the guy" from that point forward.
We are blessed to have this experience and talent.

Jul 18, 2018, 2:10 PM

Kelly will and should start the Furman game...he's earned that far. And he has no problems faciong FCS opponents...check Citadel and Kent State last year.

The question that the KB pumpers fail to want to contemplate is...what IF Trevor outperforms him in that game, regardless how KB plays? Let's say KB scores 21 by half time (so 21 pts, 2 qtrs), but has 1 interception that is washed out because the D makes the next 3 and out to get the ball back...not bad at all of a start...Trevor comes out and from beginning to end of 3rd qtr (1 qtr) scores 21 points, with 2 clean deep TD passes, goes into the start of the 4th, runs another 55 yard TD like he did in Spring practice...giving him 28 points, 4 TD's, in 1.1-1.2 qtrs of play...throws 0 interceptions. So, who's the better QB?

Outperforming him in the Furman game won't move the

Jul 18, 2018, 2:23 PM

needle enough to push TL ahead of KB. It would take an absolutely horrible performance from Bryant for that to happen and neither one of our QBs should struggle against Furman. I just don't see that game being the litmus test.

Re: Outperforming him in the Furman game won't move the

Jul 18, 2018, 2:34 PM

I think it'd be part of it...with KB performing as that, he'd again likely start the T A&M game, but if he struggles, I'd expect a scenario similar to Stoudt/Watson vs FSU, but not waiting as long to throw him in. Depends on the game.

But you do have to keep in mind where they may stand mentally after fall camp. Could be a case where they are already neck and neck, KB due to game experience gets the first nod until Trevor shows in live action 1. he knows the playbook well, 2. shows he can execute it in a game without mistakes (hence the no interceptions (and/or no risks that could have been against a better team either)...managing the game, and 3. outperforms him (best QB will play)...well, essentially the 3 points Dabo brought up yesterday in his second interview that everyone read as meaning KB, but might have actually been meant about what they need to see from Trevor to consider tipping the scale.

Re: Outperforming him in the Furman game won't move the

Jul 18, 2018, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Outperforming him in the Furman game won't move the ]

Agreed. Both should play against the Paladinos, so they can be better prepared to face the Shaggies.

Jul 18, 2018, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Streeter says emphatically that best player will win QB battle ]

And what the KB haters on this site fail to contemplate is what if your detailed little scenario goes exactly opposite? They all wanted Kelly benched every time HJ completed a pass regardless of what KB had done. May the best man play! Again - I trust Dabo and Co. and their decisions.

"best player wil win the QB battle" ...

Jul 18, 2018, 12:53 PM

That's the way it's always been; it's a shame they even have to say it. A lot of different things go into making "the best", and after watching these guys in drills and practices and talking to them every single day on and off the field, the coaches will get it right, as usual.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Did he happen to mention which player was the best?***

Jul 18, 2018, 3:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I don't mean to sound offensive here

Jul 18, 2018, 5:02 PM

but some of these articles have the weirdest pictures. Streeter looks like he trying to do an impression of Phil Hartman's Frankenstein character from SNL.

Jul 18, 2018, 6:22 PM

Best does not mean highest skill. It could be a combination of attributes that Dabo comes up with.

I'm predicting a loss to A&M

I also don't believe KB will put up enough points against Furman to bring in the second string.

Dabo won't make the switch until we lose two games after which TL will go undefeated.

Good thing you're not on the sideline

Jul 18, 2018, 7:44 PM

Has it ever occurred to you that these coaches have earned their pay? But your personal preference dictates that the A&M game is a wash because your favorite quarterback might not play? Grow up

Re: Good thing you're not on the sideline

Jul 18, 2018, 8:13 PM

^^^What he said ????^^^^
The Furman game won’t be close. Here’s another approach especially if the coaches decide TL is going to be the guy.... KB could probably easily score 3+ rushing touchdowns against Furman. Let him do that and bring TL in to get some snaps but play very conservative. Then name KB the starter against A & M and bring TL in early and start airing it out. They won’t know what to prepare for. I’m not a coach but that sounds like fun. Whatever Dabo & CO decide I’m ALL IN WITH THEM!!!!

GO TIGERS!!!!

Check the pulse Fridge. His favorite QB loses to A&M every year.

Jul 18, 2018, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Good thing you're not on the sideline ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2018, 6:24 PM

Anyone who think KB should start is either a Coot or a Russian bot trying to influence Dabo

Did KB complete a single pass during the Spring Game?

Jul 18, 2018, 9:51 PM

I can't remember if he did.

Re: Did KB complete a single pass during the Spring Game?

Jul 18, 2018, 9:53 PM

guess you didnt see the game

Re: Did KB complete a single pass during the Spring Game?

Jul 18, 2018, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Did KB complete a single pass during the Spring Game? ]

In the spring game KB had an avg gain per completion of about 4 yds, avg gain per attempt of about 2. He had screen passes going for negative yardage and repeatedly missed open receivers. He never threw a single crossing route.

That YPA actually scored higher than his avg gain per rushing attempt, which was negative, but that didn't stop him from trying to scramble instead of throw.

So what? Last year he also had a horrendous spring game, but he emerged from spring ball as the best of a lot of bad options.

This year???? Time will tell.

Now define "best"

Jul 18, 2018, 10:08 PM

Brandon.

uh huh, as long as it’s a senior

Jul 21, 2018, 12:18 AM

Like three and out Stoudt, it will be the hard way. A loss to an inferior team will bring about change.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic