Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
today's Mad Hatter CFP argument.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1,811

today's Mad Hatter CFP argument.....

Oct 31, 2016, 3:33 PM

For those that think we can afford to lose a game and still be assured a CFP position, you're one bad loss to Weak Forest from having to argue that until you're blue in the face.

Let's play a little game: oddsmakers say home field is worth 3 points in college football - many on here would argue that Death Valley is worth more. So....

what if Bobby Petrino had kicked a FG with 10 seconds to go instead of going for 4th and 17? Then he calmly walks into the press room and says, "Alright, we tied Clemson at their place, now let's go see who has the best comparative scores at the end of the year."

If I were him I would be making that argument now - that in the CFP world, home field is an issue that has to be dealt with in argument only, behind closed doors only - it cannot be dealt with by playing round robin. So he was left with a choice at the end of our game that essentially was "lose the game or lose a chance at the CFP by trying to score a TD".

I am not saying I agree or disagree with this, but it is a valid argument as to why he should have kicked a FG at the end of the game, knowing he had blitzed FSU in a way that we would never match.

It's called politics, and it's stranger than fiction.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: today's Mad Hatter CFP argument.....

Oct 31, 2016, 3:35 PM

smh

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Oct 31, 2016, 3:42 PM

I think in this circumstance you would lose political points for being a complete idiot.

On a side note, we should start a whining coach club.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

obviously I don't care about political points....

Oct 31, 2016, 5:55 PM

my input to a better world!

Petrino Can Politic All He Wants

Oct 31, 2016, 3:44 PM

Zero losses or one loss, if Clemson wins the ACC Championship Game, Clemson is in the CFP. Scoreboard has to count. Clemson beat Louisville head to head. Case closed.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2016, 3:44 PM

I think if Petrino would have kicked a field goal on the 4th down with 40 seconds left, he'd have been unemployed before he made it out of Death Valley

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

like no one's played for a "tie" before?

Oct 31, 2016, 3:59 PM

Heck Notre Dame won a Natty by tie-ing Michigan State back in the 1960's, 10-10.

And before you go off on me about a 3-point loss "not being a tie", please understand that literally billions of dollars get bet every year while at the same time taking into account that exact 3-point margin.

So please, oh wise ones of the "in the box thinking", why should Petrino, or any other coach for that matter, not argue that he should get credit for that 3 points?

Yes, I think it strains credulity... yes, I think it sets up a bad precedent... yes, it's a coward's way out.

But what you cannot deny is that "home field" is an advantage that will be argued behind closed doors.

It's a committee - it's what they do....

and ALL the aspects of who won, when they won, where they won, how they won, etc. will come into play.

Lose to Weak Forest and you'll learn the really, really hard way, IMHO.

Since your so good at analyzing college football, please

Oct 31, 2016, 4:08 PM

enlighten us less fortunate how the committee will look at us going to Auburn and FSU and beating them straight up on their home fields with their ""home field" advantage.

Re: like no one's played for a "tie" before?

Oct 31, 2016, 4:29 PM [ in reply to like no one's played for a "tie" before? ]

really would have been fun if he had only been down by 5 and kicked a field goal and tried explaining to the press that he really won.

Guess he could blame it on motorcycling without a helmet

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Play to WIN or don't play

Oct 31, 2016, 6:12 PM [ in reply to like no one's played for a "tie" before? ]

Bring your own guts

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1st he'd have to have a kicker who could kick a field goal

Oct 31, 2016, 4:00 PM

From that distance and that's why he didn't even consider a field goal. 2nd the CFPC has made it perfectly clear that conference champion trump all other metrics.

you're right, he'd have likely missed the FG.... lol

Oct 31, 2016, 5:10 PM

but what you're missing is that Clemson only gets to the ACCCG by winning against Louisville straight up.

So Petrino's argument to factor in the spread value would generally nullify that.

In the case of Clemson and Louisville, being in the same division effectively has meant that

the H2H and the ACCCG were fairly redundant - one effectively led to other.

Sure there are some other speedbumps out there, but the Clemson-UL game was effectively the ACCCG.

Would the committee be that "out of the box" in their thinking to consider that?

Well, they'd have to accept the "home field" argument first anyway.

Just food for thought for those whose lives aren't ruled by 2+2=4.

Oct 31, 2016, 4:03 PM

Booooooo!! Get off the stage!

Oct 31, 2016, 4:04 PM

yeah, really. So now we're playing to the spread rather than win/lose?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2016, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: today's Mad Hatter CFP argument..... ]

Let's line up the Participation Trophies and strap on the flags.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good lord man

Oct 31, 2016, 4:06 PM

wow - mucho free time on your hands dude

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

This could possibly be the absolute dumbest post I have

Oct 31, 2016, 4:11 PM

ever read an Tigernet. And that's saying a lot.

and a very merry unbirthday to you, yes you.

Oct 31, 2016, 5:00 PM

A very merry unbirthday to me? Yes me.

Smh.

or, dabo could argue we have better

Oct 31, 2016, 5:23 PM

unis and color scheme. therefore, cfp would have no choice but to place clemson in playoffs because thats a no brainer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

no body bets on color of unis 'cept girls...

Oct 31, 2016, 5:56 PM

that you Lucy?

Oct 31, 2016, 6:30 PM

If they tie it up we go into OT?

Replies: 20
| visibility 1,811
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic