Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tony Elliott
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 70
| visibility 1

Tony Elliott

Sep 10, 2018, 10:42 PM

What does this guy have to do to start feeling some heat? Murder? Sleep with Dabo’s wife?

It’s like he is untouchable. He called a D game Saturday and at some point needs to provide solutions

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well...

Sep 10, 2018, 10:51 PM

he's safe another week as the Tigers won.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tony Elliott

Sep 10, 2018, 10:52 PM

so 14-1, 14-1 and a natty, 12-2 and 2-0 just aint quite good enough for you huh. smfh

Sep 10, 2018, 11:02 PM

Great record yes but winning on superior talent for the most part. It's fair to question their play calling after a mediocre offensive performance like we saw Saturday night. Best is now the standard and certain coaches should be held accountable.

Sep 10, 2018, 11:23 PM

I find it incredibly hard to believe that some of you goobers are actually Clemson fans. really hard

They are Coots.***

Oct 6, 2018, 8:25 AM

BEST is the standard. Didn't see the best play calling

Sep 10, 2018, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

against Texas A&M.

Sep 10, 2018, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

He seems to call plays that feature KB's strengths, but the QB run game is not the strongest feature of our offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 12:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

Well Tony Elliott was named the best assistant coach in the country last season.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Ok good point and you are correct you have

Sep 11, 2018, 7:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

the right to question our play-calling. However Texas A&M played a great game defensively and they had quite a few backing them in the stands as well.
I would like to see more carries for our talented backfield and better use of our Tight Ends. However it seemed to me those Aggies were quick and all they needed was a turnover to turn the tide their way .
We avoided that in a very hostile environment so I give our offense credit for protecting the ball. Also going for it on fourth and one on the road in that environment is not conservative but it blew up in our face. Still a gutsy call.

Sep 10, 2018, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

I think we all agree the record is great. We do however have better talent than 98% of the teams we face. It's crazy to say the word fired, but the play calling has been kind of a head scratcher. I'm just not sure what the identity of our offense is. It's clear we arent committed to any type of a run game. So if we're a passing offense, why not have the better passer at QB?

Sep 10, 2018, 11:26 PM

Explain how you think it’s clear we’re not committed to the run game? There were 27 passing attempts and 32 rushing attempts on Saturday night.

Sep 10, 2018, 11:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

We seem to be committed to QB runs. I do not think our QB necessarily is our best runner, but he seems very adept at r.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

I really don think anyone would be OK with Firing Tony bc he is a good coach. But I would be ok with giving Scott or Streeter a try at making most of the calls and in charge of making up the offensive game plan. Heck I would be OK with both of them together coming up with an offensive game plan with one of them in the coaches box up top. Switch it up to see if we get different results!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A couple of points ...

Oct 5, 2018, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

Personnel-wise Clemson is better than 100% of pre-playoff teams we will face. Secondly, TE is blessed with superior talent but still learning the job. He is not Chris Peterson or Jimbo Fisher. There is room for improvement and no mentor for TE. Also concur TE and Dabo need to and will adapt Offense to blend TL vertical passing and massive ETN skill sets. Everyone gets a pass on last week’s flatness and injuries. It was a tough week for team and coaches. Go Tigers!

Sep 10, 2018, 11:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

That was all DW4, and we know that he would change plays at the L O S!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 11:41 PM

My gosh some of you...When things go well, which they have 99% of the time it’s because of the talent. The 1% of the time it doesn’t it’s because of the coaches?

Excellent reply deroberts!! How spoiled

Sep 11, 2018, 7:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

some fans have become in such a short period! I believe Dabo prefers getting conservative down the stretch to hold a lead and with our defense I can see why. But if it is Elliott look where we were a decade ago or even better two decades!! How many OC's did Tommy West go through? Thanks for defending Elliott!

Re: Excellent reply deroberts!! How spoiled

Sep 11, 2018, 7:24 AM

I SURE DIDNT LIKE THE 3 AND OUT AT THE END OF THE GAME BUT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT TONY OR JEFF WITH THE RESULTS THEY HAVE HAD IS JUST PLAIN IDIOTIC.

He calls games based on the talent availble to him.

Oct 5, 2018, 5:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

When DW was the QB, he called great games.

When Kelly was the QB, his play calling was limited.

Last week with the 3rd string QB who wasn't really prepared to play, he called a game that helped us get the W.

Sep 10, 2018, 11:18 PM

you are an idiot

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 11:50 PM

It takes one to call out another as one, and I would bet my life that you wouldn't call me an idiot to my face bc there is two things that I can absolutely promise that I'm not, that's scared or afraid!!!

Sep 10, 2018, 11:56 PM

Did you seriously just pull out the internet tough guy “you wouldn’t say that to me in real life” line?

I hate responses like that

Sep 10, 2018, 11:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

What a cop out. He thinks your ideas are rubbish. He didn't call you scared nor afraid. He also probably would never do so to your face -- because that would be as idiotic as some of your ideas.

Get better ideas. If that doesn't work, don't stop being an a$$ - it may work out for you, there's a market for that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Sep 11, 2018, 12:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

Idiot

Sep 10, 2018, 11:26 PM

My son did not like the play calling in the second half for the first time. I think everything was going according to plan until the fumble on the goal line at the end of the first half on 4th down.

Sep 10, 2018, 11:28 PM

What would you have called given their defensive scheme? And while you’re at it, can you explain their scheme, blitzing packages? With your knowledge of calling plays, please tell us all how you would have done it differently.

Sep 10, 2018, 11:39 PM

1. I would start by not calling a WR screen every other play in the first half when that play has not worked outside of FCS opponents or OU in the past five years. 2. I would call an RB middle screen to slow the rush. Much like A&M did to us. 3. Run ETN right at them a bit more.

That all being said Elliott has been successful and I am a fan of his, but our offense needs to evolve and be more aggressive. The oline played like it did in the Bama game and no offensive play calling will overcome that. My question is when will Caldwell be held accountable.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 11:59 PM

Wasn’t our first big play of the NC game against Bama off of a screen to Cain? Sure, the screens don’t always work, but I’d be willing to bet they work to pick up at least a few yards more often than losing yards.

Sep 11, 2018, 12:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

Your last question is the best question not being asked right now. I believe our challenges on offense have as much to do there as they do with the QB or playcalling.

Sep 11, 2018, 3:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

I agree on both Elliott and Caldwell. To me one of the best plays of the night was when Bryant changed the play at the LOS and hit Rodgers for a long gain. The play calling is vanilla and playing not to lose. The o line needs work and we aren’t successfully recruiting the position well enough to remain a top five team.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

I wouldn't have ran the same screens over and over again as well as refusing to throw the ball down the field when Lawrence was in. I also wouldn't have played conservative when the game should've been over in the first half.

Sep 11, 2018, 3:03 AM

I agree. This game should have been over early. Someone will eventually pick 6 one of those WR screens because KB sometimes just floats them out there.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 11:31 PM

I agree, his play calling has been bad since Watson left. And it showed against Alabama last year. That's right... it wasn't just KBs fault or the lines fault. It was also Elliot calling the same plays OVER AND OVER AGAIN. The offense has gotten to the point to where it's predictable and it showed against A&M again. Why do you run screens when you're throwing QB is in and then actually throw the ball down the field when the guy who can run the ball is in? You guys can say "we still won though" all you want but we were one badly called fumble away from losing. You can also say "well we won the ACC and made the playoff" but Watson was the only reason we one championship and until the play calling changes, we're gonna keep losing in the playoffs against teams that know what's coming every play like bama did.

Sep 10, 2018, 11:36 PM

Surprised you know what happened two years ago since you bandwagoned in January of this year. Of course, two years ago is probably the reason you’re even here. Who did you cheer for before that?

Sep 10, 2018, 11:43 PM

"Welcome to tigernet guys, where if you have a different opinion with a well constructed argument, you're either a coot or a bandwagon fan."

Sep 10, 2018, 11:46 PM

LOL

Sep 11, 2018, 12:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

Unfortunately true.

I'm totally okay with the criticism of the OCs. Just make it coherent. That said -- AM was all over our OL and we didn't seem to either be able to 1. recognize it or if we could 2. do anything about it.

Could a RB please make a block. I'm seeing way too many whiffs on blitzes by the RBs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Sep 11, 2018, 12:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

You didn’t answer the question so I’ll take that as the answer. And we have different opinions of “well constructed arguments.”

Sep 11, 2018, 6:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

You are correct. These arrogant, smug and condescending comments are far too often used with those who dare question ANYTHING! Using Dabo’s Words, last year was last year we are going forward. I am proud that Elliott won the Broyles award, kudos to him but that doesn’t mean a hill of beans this year. He is, to this point in the season, killing. Us! He needs to accept the mantra “Best is the standard “ and get his anemic, bland and one dimensional offense to that standard. So, I don’t give a crap about some of your comments about low pulses and being a coot troll, if you will just take an objective look at our two games, we aren’t a CFB playoff team yet. Your constant blind devotion isn’t doing anybody anything.

Sep 10, 2018, 11:52 PM

Are we just going to pretend that we didn’t have over 400 yards of offense on the road in front of a 100k+ crowd, played a true freshman at QB for 1.5 quarters, and could’ve had over 500 yards had we not gotten conservative in the 4th? I think most of us agree we’d rather we not have been that conservative in the 4th, but that’s about a coaching preference to play it safe and protect the lead, not about an inability to call plays.

Sep 10, 2018, 11:58 PM

Well said and when the ball was thrown to the receivers correctly the screen worked well. The blocking was there in IMHO.

Sep 11, 2018, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

We didn't get conservative in the 4th, we got conservative in the 2nd after we were up 14-3. And then that's when all the screens and run plays on 3rd and 5 came.

Sep 11, 2018, 12:13 AM

Is that why we had 2 touchdowns in the 2nd half that were highlighted by a 50 yard pass downfield on one drive, and a 40 yard pass on the next?

Sep 11, 2018, 12:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Tony Elliott ]

Going for the kill shot on 4th at the goalline is conservative? What about the deep shots to Tee and Renfrow in the 3rd? Or what about the WR reverse pass in the third? Dear God do you people even think before making up bs?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sep 11, 2018, 12:24 AM

When I said 2nd I meant 2nd quarter. I also said AFTER we were up 14-3. The deep shot to Tee was before they were up by 11. They didn't throw that ball to renfrow until the 3rd which is when A&M started coming back. I will give them credit for being aggressive on 4th and goal although I don't like the call to go under center which is something KB never runs.

Sep 11, 2018, 12:28 AM

I can’t believe anyone would make a topic this idiotic

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

This is one of the dumbest posts ever.

Sep 11, 2018, 12:28 AM

You earned that TD.

Why would tony want to sleep with Kathleen?...***

Sep 11, 2018, 1:14 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 6:58 AM

Long live the bubble screen----plays to KB's strength!

Sep 11, 2018, 7:30 AM

Bubble screens can work if they are blocked properly. Many of ours were not. You had 2 receivers blocking LB's safeties and corners. We did lack a short to intermediate passing game so there were 7-sometimes 8 in the box,However, rest assured our coaches are professionals. For every one thing we saw, they saw about 10. We won in spite of ourselves and a very good A&M team

Sep 11, 2018, 7:21 AM

Just stop embarrassing yourself

Sep 11, 2018, 8:00 AM

I thought Tony was honest and pretty gutsy to speak to TNET about the problems with our offense.

This is a terrible thing to say.

Oct 5, 2018, 1:38 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Oct 5, 2018, 2:09 PM

I’ve not been a fan of his since we lost dw4 and even when we had him Elliot wouldn’t run with Gallman enough “sometimes.”
Last weekend Elliot called a great 2nd half EXCEPT the first drive. We ran up the middle all the way down field. Then he calls a sweep with amari, a screen that gets blown up and a sack to put us out of field goal range. Should’ve just kept running up the middle. But he did a good job as the game went on sticking with the run. Especially the final drive.
I’ve always said Elliot doesn’t establish the run to run. He establishes the run to throw off of it and he gets pass happy between the 40’s.
After seeing how we can pound the ball with all 3 backs, moving forward he’s got to continue to do this. If not then it will show he’s just too stubborn to learn. Seeing the depth chart add the HBackGarrett Williams makes me optimistic that he’s finally figured out we need to pound the ball over and over

That will work well when we play a good defense...

Oct 5, 2018, 2:31 PM

just like passing on every down would.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: That will work well when we play a good defense...

Oct 5, 2018, 4:49 PM

Well it’s a good thing that we don’t play a good defense this year until playoffs

We play the best defense in the country...

Oct 5, 2018, 5:27 PM

every week in practice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: We play the best defense in the country...

Oct 5, 2018, 5:42 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Oct 5, 2018, 2:10 PM

I’ve not been a fan of his since we lost dw4 and even when we had him Elliot wouldn’t run with Gallman enough “sometimes.”
Last weekend Elliot called a great 2nd half EXCEPT the first drive. We ran up the middle all the way down field. Then he calls a sweep with amari, a screen that gets blown up and a sack to put us out of field goal range. Should’ve just kept running up the middle. But he did a good job as the game went on sticking with the run. Especially the final drive.
I’ve always said Elliot doesn’t establish the run to run. He establishes the run to throw off of it and he gets pass happy between the 40’s.
After seeing how we can pound the ball with all 3 backs, moving forward he’s got to continue to do this. If not then it will show he’s just too stubborn to learn. Seeing the depth chart add the HBackGarrett Williams makes me optimistic that he’s finally figured out we need to pound the ball over and over

That will work well when we play a good defense...

Oct 5, 2018, 2:38 PM

Just like passing on every down would.

is a great man, and a great coach.***

Oct 5, 2018, 2:28 PM

LAST YEAR

Oct 5, 2018, 2:53 PM

HE WON THE NATIONAL ASSISTANT COACH OF THE YEAR AWARD!

I DON'T BELIEVE WE HAVE LOST A GAME SINCE HE WON IT!

I WOULD GUESS HE'LL HAVE TO DO A LOT MORE WRONG - WHATEVER THAT IS?

HE JUST WON A GAME WITH THE 5TH STRING QB IF NOT FOR DEFECTIONS!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Oct 5, 2018, 4:45 PM

Well one thing they need to do is stop calling that fade every time we move the ball down to the 20-30.
It’s like we march the ball then get in the red zone and completely go away from what got us there.
On short yardage just line up and hand it off, too much time over thinking it.
We don’t have MW, MB and Nuk anymore they made those fades with DW throwing them.
Right now we just don’t have the type WRs that can go up catch it and stay in bounds.
Use the middle of the field that suits our players more.
I mean we have 2 awesome slot rec’s and tons of running backs, it’s not rocket science.
We need to move fast and just pick them a part.

Oct 5, 2018, 6:50 PM

"Right now we just don’t have the type WRs that can go up catch it and stay in bounds".

huh?? oh wow.

Oct 5, 2018, 8:55 PM

Yes we have excellent WRs but tell me when was the last time we had one go up and make a circus catch on a fade.
I can’t remember any from last year or this season.
We have tried the fade in the EZ , down the side line just about every game.
The long passes we have hit our players were WIDE OPEN.

Oct 6, 2018, 8:17 AM

Our receivers can catch it, but the timing or throw has been just off the mark. It will come. Hopefully today all the wrinkles are ironed out and TL HAS learned his lesson about getting rid of the ball and we put it all together.

Oct 5, 2018, 6:48 PM

I find it interesting that some fans simply do not understand how our coaches use strategy to win the games. Low-risk, high-reward style of O. The SU game was really the only game that we simply got behind to quickly and had to change our style. We can still go old-school, but Dabo & Co. have a better way. Watch closer young grasshoppah. You will learn - eventually.

Oct 6, 2018, 9:01 AM

I will say this so flame away, 1st NC under DW4, we loose but DW4 boat raced that vaulted Bama defense. All DW4 making changes at the LOS.

The second NC was much the same under DW4 but we won. All DW4. Now let’s move to last years playoff under KB/Elliott and no comparison in play or play calling. So I absolutely believe that DW4 made Elliott look all world.

The story will be how he performs against elite teams (not a down ACC) as they want face any until Championship football. But what kills me is all the speak that each and every team plays Clemson close, brings their A game with nothing to loose week in and week out. Does this not happen to Bama, Georgia, Ok, or the Bucknuts?

Because for the most part they dismantle teams that they should and dont let them hang around and get back into the game. I am retired military with a lot of combat missions all over and when you have your enemy beat down and about to quit, you sure don’t take the foot off the gas and give um a chance. Got to have that killer instinct for 60 full minutes to beat teams like Bama. Just my $.02.

Go Tigers beat Wake!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2018, 9:01 AM

I will say this so flame away, 1st NC under DW4, we loose but DW4 boat raced that vaulted Bama defense. All DW4 making changes at the LOS.

The second NC was much the same under DW4 but we won. All DW4. Now let’s move to last years playoff under KB/Elliott and no comparison in play or play calling. So I absolutely believe that DW4 made Elliott look all world.

The story will be how he performs against elite teams (not a down ACC) as they want face any until Championship football. But what kills me is all the speak that each and every team plays Clemson close, brings their A game with nothing to loose week in and week out. Does this not happen to Bama, Georgia, Ok, or the Bucknuts?

Because for the most part they dismantle teams that they should and dont let them hang around and get back into the game. I am retired military with a lot of combat missions all over and when you have your enemy beat down and about to quit, you sure don’t take the foot off the gas and give um a chance. Got to have that killer instinct for 60 full minutes to beat teams like Bama. Just my $.02.

Go Tigers beat Wake!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tony Elliott***

Oct 6, 2018, 9:21 AM

Better not speak the truth on TN or you get a thumbs down and called a Coot. It’s all Yahtzee and mities on here. Lol

Replies: 70
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic