Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Brownell talks to ACC about calls in NC State game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

TNET: Brownell talks to ACC about calls in NC State game

Mar 18, 2019, 3:14 PM

Brownell talks to ACC about calls in NC State game

CLEMSON – Brad Brownell’s comments to the media following Clemson’s loss to NC State in last week’s ACC Tournament were short and to the point, with Brownell me Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That may be his problem

Mar 18, 2019, 3:18 PM

He waits until it dies down to address it instead of getting in the refs face.....

Re: That may be his problem

Mar 18, 2019, 3:21 PM

Doesn't matter. No calls of this type are ever changed.

Mar 18, 2019, 3:23 PM

But it may help on future calls / no-calls.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 3:31 PM

Ha! Only if his name is Coach K, Roy Williams, Dean Smith, etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True dat. But those guys probably did not always get the

Mar 18, 2019, 3:34 PM

calls. You have to earn that, so no time like the present to get started.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: That may be his problem ]

Bs the ref would remember before that crap happened again. And who give a s hit. What’s the league going to do fine him ? Grow a pair instead of scratching your freaking head

Mar 18, 2019, 5:03 PM [ in reply to That may be his problem ]

That is his major problem bc, he is afraid of getting a technical foul. But if he would take a few technical fouls, there wouldn't be that many flagrant bad calls bc the ACC refs would know that Brownell will not let them get away with without being called out, but he doesn't, and the refs don't hesitate blowing the whistle against players. You don't see Duke or UNCheat losing games in the final seconds bc of flagrant bad calls, the refs shake in their shoes thinking about making that mistake with those two coaches!!!

Mar 19, 2019, 8:32 AM

Probably the single thing that Banes did that garnered him support was that he hijacked the officials and got in Dean Smith's face at midcourt and got ejected from a game or two for his work. Similar to Danny Ford at midfield vs Maryland that one time. Worth every penny in fines and every second of ejection.

If Brownell had gone off on someone even once in the last five years after some of the horrible calls, I know at least some of the people who favor firing him would be more favorable to keeping him.

But his Tommy Bowden-esque "Oh well, I'll just stand here on the sideline and take it." just sets him up for more of the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In fairness, the refs missed a goal tending call on Thomas

Mar 18, 2019, 3:25 PM

that would have put State on top by one with about a minute to play. That changes the dynamic of the last minute.

I wish we weren't making such a bid deal of the refs in the game. Bad form. Bad lesson for the players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You let your hate of BB

Mar 18, 2019, 3:29 PM

Blind you to the reality of one of the worst officiated games ever seen. Period.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Coach Brownell. He seems like a really good guy.

Mar 18, 2019, 3:37 PM

But, we didn't lose that game because of the refs. That's just another in a long list of excuses. Even if we win that game, we get curb stomped by Virginia and we end up in the NIT. I know you guys want everyone to believe it would have changed our whole season and gotten us into the tournament, but it wouldn't have changed a thing.

It's just bad form to constantly whine about things beyond your control as being the reasons for your lack of performance.

No more excuses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We sure did due to bad 1st half calls

Mar 18, 2019, 3:43 PM

getting Thomas in foul trouble. That's when BB shoulda got in their faces!

Re: I like Coach Brownell. He seems like a really good guy.

Mar 18, 2019, 5:25 PM [ in reply to I like Coach Brownell. He seems like a really good guy. ]

Refs are never going to be consistent from one game to the next. That's almost forgiveable.

Sometimes a ref crew will tighten up at halftime if they think they've been letting too much slide.

But the same refs should be consistent within the same half of play. Players at all levels learn how to adjust their play according to how the game is being called. A team that is known for tough-nosed but non-risky defense shouldn't have to be surprised by changing standards of physicality.

It bugs me that Brad feels that he has to use passive voice verbs when talking about his team and the officiating. I know, he's avoiding the fine, but passive voice is always risk-averse.

BTW, even if you throw chairs on the floor, Clemson's coach will never get the same deference of Coach Roy, K, Pitino or Boeheim IF YOU START OVER WITH A ROOKIE COACH NEXT YEAR.

The concept of time..

Mar 18, 2019, 9:59 PM [ in reply to I like Coach Brownell. He seems like a really good guy. ]

The last call did cost us the game. No two ways to slice it.

Re: You let your hate of BB

Mar 18, 2019, 3:50 PM [ in reply to You let your hate of BB ]

That wasnt even the worst officiated Clemson game this year, much less ever.

If that's the worst officiated game you've ever seen, then I'm going to say you havent watched much basketball, much less Clemson basketball. Officiating was the reason we lost that particular game

Mar 18, 2019, 3:51 PM

wasnt

You can absolutely say the officials cost us the game. That one

Mar 18, 2019, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Re: You let your hate of BB ]

phantom call, at the end of the game, should not have been called, the shot was missed and went out of bounds. We should have had the ball out of bounds with 2 seconds to go! Game over...we win!

I'm NOT saying that cost us a bid, because the win didn't get NC State a bid!

The calls on Thomas and Trapp were two of the

Mar 18, 2019, 9:57 PM [ in reply to Re: You let your hate of BB ]

worst calls I've ever seen in any game at any level.

Didn't see the whole game, si I dont know, but I did see those two calls. Can't think of any worse then those. Clearly there were some shenanigans going on. Those two calls, and obviously the last one, did actually cost us the game.

Mar 19, 2019, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Re: You let your hate of BB ]

Contrast the phantom call at the end of NCSU game in ACCT vs no-call mugging in drive at end of UNC game. We lose both on calls that probably should have gone the other way. Or if both had been called the same way (both no-calls or both called), we might have won one of the games. But it seems we end up on the short of the inconsistent calls far more often than other teams in the conference (which is probably just confirmation bias on our part).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2019, 12:36 AM [ in reply to You let your hate of BB ]

I don't hate B.B. I think he is a lot like Mark Right. Good guy but average coach. B.B. needs to go find Dabo and let him teach him how to deal with the zebras. Dabo is a master.

Re: TNET: Brownell talks to ACC about calls in NC State game

Mar 18, 2019, 3:30 PM

Brad looks worn out. Said the team didn’t even practice long. Tough season. Said too many close games couldn’t win...

Mar 18, 2019, 3:35 PM

HE ALSO COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW EMPTY LITTLEJOHN WAS 30 MINUTES BEFORE EVERY GAME HUH NCTIGS

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MAYBE HE SHOULD GO HOME TO HIS BIG HOUSE ON THE LAKE

Mar 18, 2019, 3:39 PM

, WALK INTO HIS LUXURIOUS MASTER BATHROOM, AND LOOK IN THE MIRROR.

Mar 18, 2019, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Brownell talks to ACC about calls in NC State game ]

nctigs said:

Brad looks worn out. Said the team didn’t even practice long. Tough season. Said too many close games couldn’t win...

IF your players don’t play well. If they make foolish mistakes and plays. If they don’t play hard and smart the loss is on the players AND coach. If the game is taken away from you that is an entirely different matter. Players AND players ONLY should decide who wins and who doesn’t!

But that's not reality

Mar 18, 2019, 9:01 PM

Not as long as three other humans are on the court

Mar 19, 2019, 12:40 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Brownell talks to ACC about calls in NC State game ]

The zebras are not responsible for pissing away 18 point lead.

Mar 18, 2019, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Brownell talks to ACC about calls in NC State game ]

nctigs said:

IF your players don’t play well. If they make foolish mistakes and plays. If they don’t play hard and smart the loss is on the players AND coach. If the game is taken away from you that is an entirely different matter. Players AND players ONLY should decide who wins and who doesn’t!

I will say one common thread in our losses are ...

Mar 18, 2019, 3:32 PM

"Brownell said he couldn’t find a common thread in the Tigers’ close losses this season."

... very, very long scoring droughts. Those are killers. Please recruit some more shooters Coach Brownell.

Re: I will say one common thread in our losses are ...

Mar 18, 2019, 6:02 PM

That is very true tigerband but that is often seen in almost every game. Scoring lapses happen to almost everyone. I bet every coach discusses that with his players every week. But you are right. Our Tigers do it every game.

Mar 18, 2019, 3:36 PM

They also gave Clemson the ball back on an out of bounds play when clearly Clemson knocked the ball out. I don't think the refs had anything to do with us losing. Lousy shooting on pour shot selection in the second half. Over 10 minutes of play without a score. You can't win playing like that. NC State didn't make it in either so the game probably didn't matter. NIT is where they belong.

When your starting guards go 7 of 30 from the floor and your

Mar 18, 2019, 3:42 PM

point guards shoots ZERO free throws, you probably aren't playing very well.

Mar 18, 2019, 3:38 PM

If I was making the kind of money he is I would have been on sports center making my point for all to see and debate.

They’d think twice the next time or they would be exposed. I’m not a ref abusive guy but we have been taking it from the ACC refs for years especially against North Carolina teams in the ACC.

We have paid for ourselves helping the conference in football but the ACC has always assumed we’d take the abuse in basketball ?? it’s time to stand up.

Don’t get me wrong we need to play better and recruit much better but keeping us down doesn’t flush well with me. I’ve watched it year after year and I lhave lived in North Carolina the last 24 years so I know.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Mar 18, 2019, 11:46 PM

Agree. A $10k fine on a $1m pay equates to 1, yes 1% to pay stand up for your players. Crossing your arms, scratching your head and speaking in "code" words is very Tommy Bowdenish. At some point you reach the end of what you can do and get no farther. CBB appears to be a nice guy but an average coach who is over his head and a weak recruiter. A change (as we did in football, baseball, women's BB) should happen if we want to be serious about basketball. 7 years is a fair time to give a coach and only get 1 trip to March Madness. With a preseason top 25 after last year's run and with 4 seniors returning, we greatly underachieved. A team takes on the personality of it's coach...and that's were we are today.

Mar 19, 2019, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Brownell talks to ACC about calls in NC State game ]

Plus 1, it couldn't be said any better, and it is the very same year to year!!!

This is Tommy Bowden "parity" level of cringe***

Mar 18, 2019, 3:39 PM

I'm gonna have to hear and read the word "cringe" in 2019

Mar 18, 2019, 4:06 PM

as much as RPO in 2018 and gravitas in 2013.

The results might be similar but

Mar 18, 2019, 4:14 PM [ in reply to This is Tommy Bowden "parity" level of cringe*** ]

Brownell's comments were nothing like that.

Mar 18, 2019, 10:29 PM [ in reply to This is Tommy Bowden "parity" level of cringe*** ]

Did you even listen to this press conference?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Brownell's comments were nothing like that.

Mar 18, 2019, 10:37 PM

I read what t net just posted did they lie. Walt

There's no need for anyone to insult CBB

Mar 18, 2019, 4:01 PM

Mar 18, 2019, 4:43 PM

Our AD & Pres Clements ought to have his back. CU always gets the shaft from ACC. I’d love to take our assets to the SEC. Screw Tobacco Road.

Mar 18, 2019, 10:05 PM

I agree that DRad and ZClements should be making their dissatisfaction known. They would if football was getting screwed and they also should do it for basketball.

Was DRad in on the conversations with the ACC re ....

Mar 18, 2019, 10:52 PM

... State game officiating - does anybody know? I agree - Brad should get his support on that..,,

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Mar 19, 2019, 4:51 AM

We had a 16 point lead at halftime and it looks ridiculous to blame refs for anything-our poor play in the second half caused our defeat.

BB... stop whining***

Mar 19, 2019, 9:57 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic