Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Clemson Baseball: Where do they go from here?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

New Story: Clemson Baseball: Where do they go from here?

Jun 4, 2018, 1:18 PM

Clemson Baseball: Where do they go from here?

Message boards and social media is on fire after yet another loss in a home regional – Clemson hasn’t escaped a regional since 2010 (also the last time the program went to Omaha), an eight-year lapse that is almost unthinkable for one of the game’s top-tier programs. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Clemson Baseball: Where do they go from here?

Jun 4, 2018, 1:26 PM

Nailed it...well said.
Monte/staff will recruit well and develop players-have faith.

Jun 4, 2018, 1:44 PM

I think we are heading upward... Seth Beer will be to our Baseball program what CJ Spiller was to the Football just the start or some rally great player to come through.

Jun 4, 2018, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemson Baseball: Where do they go from here? ]

I'll start with the athletic Dept first on things that needs to improve.

1) Give Monte and his staff WHATEVER they need to improve recruiting (Budget, Social media, More travel, camps, team managers, etc). Anything. Make it better & easier for them. Find something that gives them an edge.

With the staff...

1) Build Monster Depth on the Mound. This has GOT to get addressed. It's been too big of weakness for way too long of a time period. We need 5 aces to get us into 7 innings consistently.

2) Better base running.

3) Continue what they're doing with hitting (and aim for 1% better each day). Improvements have been made here.

4) Continue to what they're doing on fielding/defense. Improvements have been made here as well.

5) I think there is always room for improvements for facilities and equipment. If we don't have it, then we need to get it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2018, 4:33 PM

Totally agree - whatever it takes to get recruiting done. I'm tired of sucking wind to the sec when it comes to baseball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2018, 1:45 PM

Back in the real world... next year and the future of the program looks bleak. Better get recruiting along with some coaching lessons

Jun 4, 2018, 2:12 PM

Monte lee, the brad brownell of college baseball. Will he get 10 years to learn how to coach and recruit?

When a neighbor lets his dog

Jun 4, 2018, 2:27 PM

Trample my lawn and make a mess, I have him hauled away. If I had a site such as T-Net, I'd have the 'trash' regularly removed. There are better places to practice 'stupid' than here, where one hides in cowardice as an internet bully. Freedom of speech doesn't trump 'rights of ownership'.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When a neighbor lets his dog

Jun 4, 2018, 2:47 PM

You are so ignorant that you make no sense. Just a lot of ranting? R u Donald Trump?

Probably his idle...

Jun 4, 2018, 3:01 PM

Probably opened a twitter account a few months ago b/c he kept hearing about it. Now he tries to imitate him on message boards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought they really struggled to hit good pitching

Jun 4, 2018, 1:54 PM

in the last few games. I understand the "we ran out of arms" argument. However, after the ND game in the ACC tournament it's as if our hitters were scouted very well and the opposing teams pitchers were able to avoid the danger areas. And, being down by 3 in the top of the 2nd didn't help. IMO

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Re: I thought they really struggled to hit good pitching

Jun 4, 2018, 2:58 PM

Your title is spot on, however it didn't just happen. As another poster stated in a thread - we are 10-10 against teams in the field. That includes some teams that are mid majors. We're a whole lot less than that against the top 25. We didn't hit good pitching all year. I respectively disagree that our hitting improved. We lived near the bottom (200+) teams in team BP averages and we strike out a bunch and strike out looking a bunch too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2018, 1:59 PM

Pitching in the postseason will always be a problem if Monte sticks to his "metrics" philosophy and pulls starters before they face the line up the 3rd time. He doesn't recruit well enough to get away with this garbage. Also, need to develop an offense that isn't solely reliant on the home run. Need speed, contact and small ball skills. Using a guy who hits .200 at DH (and not having them bunt) all year is a reason this team struggled against good pitching.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2018, 2:10 PM

Great article. Lee & the program will be just fine. Definitely need better pitching. You're not going to win in Omaha w/out it. We have power, but would we have enough in that ballpark? I'm disappointed we didn't get out of yet another regional. I really thought we had a great shot even though we drew a tough group to host. I also liked our chances in a Super Regional. However, I didn't think we would have the pitching to get very far in Omaha.

So you didn't expect us to make out of a regional before the

Jun 4, 2018, 2:26 PM

season started?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2018, 2:41 PM

With a team BA 191 out of 297 NCAA D-1 teams and loosing two of our top four hitters the steps are much bigger than you may think. Unless recruiting takes an immediate upswing and we quickly develop better hitters I suspect we will see more of the same next year. Monte may well need to consider a staff shake up to get us to the next level, based on the current lack of progress.

Jun 4, 2018, 2:49 PM

47 wins is impressive, but at the end of the day we didn't make it out of the regionals once again. I'm not saying we fire Coach Lee. I still support him and hope he can get things turned around but it is frustrating!

We expect better.....

clemson hit some pitching very well

Jun 4, 2018, 3:16 PM

Others, not so well. It never was a consistent offensive team. Monte admits that he prefers the long ball approach and that works for a lot of teams. I always thought that the best way to coach was to get base runners, move them around any way possible and keep the pressure on the defense,especially the infielders. I played hundreds of games at shortstop and it always concerned me when that big run was on third base with less than two outs. There is no room for error in that situation and you increase your chances of winning if you can keep that pressure on your opponent. Nothing in all of baseball is more exciting than seeing your team hit homers. Nothing is worse than losing!

I have no idea who the hitting coach is at Clemson but there are a number of ways that a young hitter can improve by making just minor adjustments. Something in his stance or position in the box may be adjusted and have a completely different hitter. I’ve known dozens of good hitters who made a simple change in their front leg movement and became much better hitters.

I agree with coach Lees assessment of the staff.. they really did run out of gas and there’s no one to blame for that.
That will be the biggest improvement in next years team. A great chance for some young guys to come in and play early. I hope we develop a big time catcher in the future. That’s a must.

Re: clemson hit some pitching very well

Jun 4, 2018, 4:42 PM

^^^^ nailed it ^^^^ but I think Wilkie can become that big time catcher. Really think he makes big strides next year. As far as the hitters - not every hitter is a long ball hitter. don't continue trying to put that square peg in. Most notably Jordan Green. I think he has a good chance at the next level to be very serviceable once he's taught how to just punch the ball like he did in the walkoff.

The metrics work but...

Jun 4, 2018, 3:20 PM

there are times like you said in the article that I'd like to see a SP stretched a bit. Also, if you're going to use that concept it's important to have a deep pen. We were top heavy this year. After Strider moved to the rotation late it basically left Miller/Spiers/Gilliam to carry the load. No wonder having to play 4 games in the 3 days we ran out of arms since our SP fell flat.

I think we'll be fine next year. 4 dependable SP, Spiers will probably be the closer. Some of those younger guys will move into more meaningful roles and do well. Our lineup will be very good again even if they don't have the pop this years had. Monte has recruited depth so as they develop we'll have a deeper team. It's no shame losing to Vandy. Corbin had a head start on Coach Lee. Don't forget we were like 32-39 before he came in.

Next years lineup could be something like
SP-Hennessy/Higgy/Crawford/Strider
CP-Spiers
MR-Weatherly, Jones, Clark

Meridith - LF
Wilkie-C
Davidson - SS
Byrd - 3B
Hawkins - 1B
Donathon/Cooper - DH
Hall - RF
Teodosio - CF
Greene - 2B

The way I see it if a few guys can step up as solid relief pitchers we could very be a national seed. We need 3 dependable RP other than Spiers. I wouldn't be shocked if Holt Jones presses for a rotation spot at some point. I think Byrd has a big year and the game slows down for Teodosio and me makes a big stride forward at the plate. He has all the tools.

Of course the incoming FR are an unknown to me

Jun 4, 2018, 3:21 PM

as well as the guys that didn't get to play much this year may develop as the get older and stronger. Sunny days are ahead of us.

The math does not compute.

Jun 4, 2018, 3:33 PM

If you pull a starter after batter 18, then even if the starter is throwing a shutout with no runners left on base, he has just finished 6 innings. Sprinkle in a few stranded walks or base hits, and this is now a 5 inning outing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The math does not compute.

Jun 4, 2018, 3:45 PM

Although there is a lot of truth in the statement he made about seeing a pitcher for the third time but that is part of baseball that you have to accept and adjust to. In the pro leagues they hope to get seven or eight innings out of the starter. If a pitcher really has the skills and pitches to be a starter he should be able to go through the lineup several times before a batter sees what he has. Again, a big time catcher is a bonus for your staff. Remember Okey? I reallly liked that kid. I’m surprised we haven’t heard more from him. Starter, set up guys and closers. You just must have it all. Baseballs a great game but it’s all about throwing strikes and hitting strikes. How hard can that be? lol

Jun 4, 2018, 5:10 PM

crying?

Jun 4, 2018, 7:07 PM

Thanks David for your always insightful comments about Clemson sports. I continue to appreciate the balance you bring between what’s working and what areas need improvement. Continue your great work. I am already looking forward to football ?? season! Go Tigers!

Disappointing end to a good season***

Jun 4, 2018, 8:18 PM

Jun 4, 2018, 9:44 PM

There are some excellent points being made on here with the majority focusing on pitching.
Let's approach it from the other side of the ball.
Some of you folks no doubt have statistical sources I have been unable to find so answer me this:
How many men in scoring position were left stranded this season? Where do we rank nationally?
Is small ball even coached at CU?
Allow me a football analogy. If you eliminate the downfield pressure what does the defense do? (ex:#2 @ QB...but that's another discussion.)
I'd prefer to keep the pressure on the other team by coaching and playing situational baseball. A previous poster nailed it...keep their infield (and outfield for that matter) under pressure. When you play long ball you narrow it down to just the pitcher and greatly increase the odds that he can control the game. If the opposing staff has any chops at all they have scouted the batters and know they're weaknesses. (Vanderbilt being the perfect example!) We were DOA with everyone swinging for the fences.
If Lee and staff continue their mindset toward hitting then we're sitting ducks for the better staffs/teams. The 'Dores exposed CU and I'm sure a lot of teams took notice and were shaking their heads YES.
If the hitting philosophy is coming from the top then post season prospects, where you meet the better teams, won't improve.
If it's the hitting coaches' choice...he should be looking for a job.

We certainly need to execute bunts and sac flies better.

Jun 4, 2018, 9:51 PM

I do not watch enough college baseball to know if other teams struggle with this but I certainly haven't seen a college team worse at hitting a sac fly with a man in scoring position than this Clemson team.

Granted it was 21 years ago but when I play college baseball we started batting practice with everyone having to bunt down the first base line, the third base line, executing a hit-and-run to move them to third,and then hitting a sac fly to score him. Then we got 10 swings.

Jun 4, 2018, 11:42 PM

All great points and completely doable but the BAM!! Here comes the MLB draft to scoop up those top recruits you sign and you are left with players who need further development.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic